1. #49821
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Agreed on Casters for sure. However, a bo staff has a lot of identical animations as DRG and a meteor Hammer would use a ton of overlapping WAR animations.
    Different aesthetic for a bo staff though, many of the DRG animations always end with a stabby stabby kind of thing where a bo staff would almost always end with an impact on the side. Though I do see how all the flippy flashy stuff would overlap.

    The meteor hammer I was referring to was THIS, so it wouldn't overlap at all with WAR.

    Then when you marry these weapons with a theme or archetype they fall even more flat. What job would use Nunchucks? The two that instantly come to my mind are already in the game. How do you marry the weapons with a theme and differentiate it from existing jobs? Rope Dart IMO would be better served as a whip archetype or Kusarigama (which COULD have been NINs weapon and twin daggers given very easily to numerous other jobs)
    Good questions, and you hit on why they likely won't happen, I was just saying I'd love to see them animate it and be able to see it in game.

    I'm kinda at the point where a new job is significantly less exciting, but the idea of expanding existing jobs with varying abilities/roles would be more interesting to me. I'd love to play a Sword Saint iteration of PLD as a melee DPS with more focus on magical sword attacks. Give me my Agrias/Beatrix please.
    A new class is always exciting to me as it just means more options, new aesthetic, new class story, etc...but if they were to allow for jobs to hold different roles and change their move set, like a DPS PLD Tank SAM, Melee RDM, or Caster NIN or something I'd be super excited about that too, even more excited than a new job because it would provide even more options.

  2. #49822
    Yoshi-P is so popular that even mobile gacha games add characters inspired by his wisdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  3. #49823
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The meteor hammer I was referring to was THIS, so it wouldn't overlap at all with WAR.
    Had no idea that's what that was called. Good catch!

    A new class is always exciting to me as it just means more options, new aesthetic, new class story, etc...but if they were to allow for jobs to hold different roles and change their move set, like a DPS PLD Tank SAM, Melee RDM, or Caster NIN or something I'd be super excited about that too, even more excited than a new job because it would provide even more options.
    Tank SAM would be kinda cool. I ship it. See ya in 2040.

  4. #49824
    Elemental Lord Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    8,865
    Ninja could tank (kinda) in FF11 so I'd be down to play a Ninja tank in 14. Although its shadows would probably be either OP or kinda useless, just like 11.

  5. #49825
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Ninja could tank (kinda) in FF11 so I'd be down to play a Ninja tank in 14. Although its shadows would probably be either OP or kinda useless, just like 11.
    The shadows were the main reason a NIN could tank in 11. They'd have to take a hit eventually, but with the shadows, they could tank without getting hit most of the time and their low armor rating wasn't a big deal. They were stupid expensive though, because each time they cast their shadows (or any other Ninjutsu technique) it cost a reagent they had to have in their inventory. Not to mention having to invest in evasion gear and food which was either time consuming or really expensive, or both.

    The pay off was amazing though as they could solo pretty much anything.

    Edit: Just now realized you probably meant they were either OP or useless, depending on the situation, just like they were in 11. Oops.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2021-02-19 at 03:25 PM.

  6. #49826
    Elemental Lord Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    8,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The shadows were the main reason a NIN could tank in 11. They'd have to take a hit eventually, but with the shadows, they could tank without getting hit most of the time and their low armor rating wasn't a big deal. They were stupid expensive though, because each time they cast their shadows (or any other Ninjutsu technique) it cost a reagent they had to have in their inventory. Not to mention having to invest in evasion gear and food which was either time consuming or really expensive, or both.

    The pay off was amazing though as they could solo pretty much anything.
    Unfortunately most of the endgame enemies in 11 now wipe shadows so Ninja is pretty unusable as a tank in the current meta, although they're adding a weapon for Ninja that makes their shadows apply to their party which people are saying is gonna be a game changer.

  7. #49827
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    But Ink Mage sounds fucking stupid and should not be a thing. IMO of course.
    Whaaat?

    Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

    Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-02-19 at 03:12 PM.

  8. #49828
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,814
    Ink Mage with the brush mechanic from Okami, please!


    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  9. #49829
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    But Ink Mage sounds fucking stupid and should not be a thing. IMO of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Whaaat?

    Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

    Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Depending on how they implement it, it would be ridiculous, or amazing...or both, kinda like BLU.

    In the anime, Black Clover, there's a mage that uses paint and he's pretty OP.

    https://blackclover.fandom.com/wiki/Rill_Boismortier

    Boils down to him being able to paint whatever he wants and bring it to "life." So he can use any element (in a world where mages typically only ever have access to one), create plants, animals, buildings, huge columns of fire and electricity, a wave of quicksand, a lake surrounded by wind and storm, etc... which gives him a huge tactical advantage over others in most cases.

  10. #49830
    Kinda sad that Squenix still hasn't updated their payment procedures to post 2k standards. Getting the annoying error 601 after 2 years again (because their browser script failed at any part of their 1€ validation procedure) is kind grinding my gears. /sigh

    Does anyone know what happens to your retainers when your subscription runs out? I hope I won't have to fish all that rubbish out of the mail next week :/.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  11. #49831
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Whaaat?

    Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

    Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Depending on how they implement it, it would be ridiculous, or amazing...or both, kinda like BLU.

    In the anime, Black Clover, there's a mage that uses paint and he's pretty OP.

    https://blackclover.fandom.com/wiki/Rill_Boismortier

    Boils down to him being able to paint whatever he wants and bring it to "life." So he can use any element (in a world where mages typically only ever have access to one), create plants, animals, buildings, huge columns of fire and electricity, a wave of quicksand, a lake surrounded by wind and storm, etc... which gives him a huge tactical advantage over others in most cases.
    It's just an archetype I don't care about at all. The thematics are cool, no doubt about that, but dear god DO NOT CALL IT INK MAGE.

  12. #49832
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Depending on how they implement it, it would be ridiculous, or amazing...or both, kinda like BLU.

    In the anime, Black Clover, there's a mage that uses paint and he's pretty OP.

    https://blackclover.fandom.com/wiki/Rill_Boismortier

    Boils down to him being able to paint whatever he wants and bring it to "life." So he can use any element (in a world where mages typically only ever have access to one), create plants, animals, buildings, huge columns of fire and electricity, a wave of quicksand, a lake surrounded by wind and storm, etc... which gives him a huge tactical advantage over others in most cases.
    Another example would be .. Sai (?) from Naruto. Summoning creatures in that swirly art style would be kinda cool, at least from a visual perspective. There are also a few stories in novel/manga form out there about "word/caligraphy" magic users that can cheat the respective world's system by "painting" japanese symbols which usually convey more meaning than our letters. Though I wonder if they would dare to go for something like that, since they know that they have audiences that wouldn't get the japanese literature aspect of it and caligraphy can be extremely pretentious.
    Last edited by Haidaes; 2021-02-19 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

  13. #49833
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Another example would be .. Sai (?) from Naruto. Summoning creatures in that swirly art style would be kinda cool, at least from a visual perspective. There are also a few stories in novel/manga form out there about "word/caligraphy" magic users that can cheat the respective world's system by "painting" japanese symbols which usually convey more meaning than our letters. Though I wonder if they would dare to go for something like that, since they know that they have audiences that wouldn't get the japanese literature aspect of it and caligraphy can be extremely pretentious.
    There already was a raid fight based on paintings, it's not like the concept is novel to the world of XIV.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  14. #49834
    Herald of the Titans Advent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Other Side.
    Posts
    2,625
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Whaaat?

    Why's that.
    I think the idea of creating images and giving the aether used a visual form sounds fun.

    Like - the character throws a puddle of ink to his left and right and swings around his/her brush and 2 little shadowkeeper-doggos keep forming and pouncing out of it towards your target.
    Sai from the Naruto anime was sooooo bad. (Which is what I visualize in this instance)

  15. #49835
    https://www.fanbyte.com/features/lea...xiv-endwalker/

    Yoshi confirms that Natsuko Ishikawa is writing the main story to Endwalker just like Shadowbringers.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

  16. #49836
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,814
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://www.fanbyte.com/features/lea...xiv-endwalker/

    Yoshi confirms that Natsuko Ishikawa is writing the main story to Endwalker just like Shadowbringers.
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  17. #49837
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.
    While true, I think your underestimating just how crucial a well written story is to create everything else you touched on. The other folks should be getting recognition too, but there's a reason she's getting so much attention. Without her, the rest of it wouldn't have happened the way it did.

  18. #49838
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.
    This tend to happen when only a small amount of people are willing/fine to be known to the public.

    People put Yoshi-P on a pedestal too, but forget about the great developers around him. Because, well, we don't really know of the other developers.

  19. #49839
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    No disrespect, but I think people (namely the FFXIV fandom on the forums and on reddit) are putting her on a pedestal, as if she was the sole reason for why Shadowbringers was great. A great script means jack all without a good everything else. It seems like people are eager to ignore the quest planners, the people who paced the quests and story flow and zone progression, the cutscene directors and animators, the voice director, and so on. That said, it is nice to get confirmation.
    She's not the sole reason for ShB being good. She's the reason for the story in ShB not being the dumpster fire that passes for a story in WoW.

  20. #49840
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    She's not the sole reason for ShB being good. She's the reason for the story in ShB not being the dumpster fire that passes for a story in WoW.
    That would be Banri Oda. He's been the main scenario writer and the head writer in the FFXIV team since ARR. They have a team of writers though. He was working with Ishikawa this time around, but for other expansions he was working with someone else on the MSQ. Basically he's like what Metzen used to be and what Steve Danuser is now.

    But SHB was different than the previous expansions in that sense because of Ishikawa, that's true. She's good at writing tragic characters and that's one of the things that made SHB so good.

    I was so surprised to learn a couple of months ago that the writing department for WoW also has a big team apparently. Because how the hell do multiple people manage to make every single patch inconsistant with what happened previously?

    Well, I'm pretty sure that will never happen to FFXIV anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •