The website for patch 5.5 is up. Has this piece of art. The patch is called "Death Unto Dawn".

Despite the patch name, I wouldn't count on anyone dying (thought that would be nice). The 4.5 patch was named "A Requiem for Heroes" and advertised a big gritty battle and Zenos looking terrifying. People thought someone was going to bite, but nada.

Given that in the middle of the faction leaders is the planet on fire, I'm guessing that the Final Days will begin and the faction leaders have an emergency meeting, and plan a joint operation to raid all of the towers at once.

- - - Updated - - -

Or, now that I think about it, the fire at the top of the planet could just be Garlemald burning.

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, the planet with fire at the top reminds me of the FFXIV desktop icon logo that depicts Dalamud falling.

New 5.5 screenshot

Trial Weapon storyline
    Spoiler: 

Interesting that the screenshot with Gaius seems to depict him in Terncliff's countryside. The sky has the same coloration as the Terncliff countryside flashback during the Emerald Weapon fight, and there is also what appears to be the same kind of tree too.

The storyline has been building up to a final showdown with Valens at Werylt, so I'm guessing that this screenshot is from when the Alliance is marching from Terncliff towards Werylt on foot? Gaius seems to be pissed at something, so I'm guessing that Valens send forces to harass them along the road? He doesn't seem to be looking too high up so it can't be an airship bombing run.

Also, the fact that the weapon storyline isn't mandatory seems to imply that that the Alliance won't be invading Garlemald.

In order for the Alliance to push into Garlemald, they need to reach Ilsabard. To reach Ilsabard, they can either 1. cross the Ghimlyt Dark on foot, or 2. sail by ship from Eorzean ports to a landing zone in Ilsabard. There is absolutely no reason to pick option 1 over option 2; water transportation is simply more efficient to move people and supplies. Right now, the Alliance's foothold in Ilsabard is Terncliff, which is a sea port. So if the Alliance is going to invade Garlemald, it's going to be through Terncliff.

Except Terncliff is a location exclusive to the Weapon storyline, which is optional. So unless Square decides that they're going to do some weird stuff where the MSQ has the Alliance invading through Terncliff, but it's possible that the player has never even done the weapon storyline and didn't even conquer it in the first place, then... I'm guessing that the Alliance just isn't going to invade at all. Maybe they will send a few airships carrying technicians or something to help the Scions out, but no military campaign.

Aw. Disappointing.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-03-25 at 07:33 PM.

I'm hoping that a lot of the side content is made mandatory at some point.

The Warring Triad, at the very least - every player needs to be exposed to the delight that is Regula van Hydrus.

I quite like the look of the new dungeon gear. The tribal look will be particularly great for Xaela and Warrior glamour, I think.

I rather like this and am alreayd thinking of combinations with existing pieces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post

I rather like this and am alreayd thinking of combinations with existing pieces.
    Eeew.. did they raid Orgrimmar and undressed the locals or sth?
    Also that poor Viera looks quite uncomfortable.

The patch 5.5 site has been updated.

The advent of the Empire's final and most fatal Weapon sees Gaius and the Warrior of Light take to the skies aboard Cid's latest creation. Will these miracles of technology and camaraderie allow them to rise above the threat of destruction that looms over Werlyt once more?
    It seems that the Alliance now has a large airship! (IIRC the one in the Sea of Clouds was broken, and then later hijacked by the Sky Pirates during the Mhach alliance raid storyline). No way this airship is just for the Werylt storyline; now that it has been introduced, there is absolutely no reason for Cid to not use it during the 6.0 Endwalker story. Unless it gets blown up by Diamond Weapon and Cid can't build a replacement ship in time, that is.

It seems that the battle will take place in the Sky, rather than Werlyt. I hope this doesn't mean we won't actually get to visit Werylt.

In the two new screenshots, it appears that Diamond Weapon has sustained facial damage, and we don't see the Diamond Weapon transformed into Oversoul mode, so I'm guessing that Diamond Weapon was damaged by phase 1, by the time the trial fight began. I'm guessing either Cid's airship has a giant laser cannon and Diamond Weapon got lasered in the face while approaching the airship, OR before the trial began, there was a solo duty where you pilot the G-Warrior, and it ends with you stabbing Diamond Weapon in the face with the beam saber/laser sword. Diamond Weapon destroys/damages/disables the G-Warrior, requiring you to finish the fight on foot on Cid's airship.

If Diamond Weapon does actually Oversoul into Zenos, then we will have a callback to the Shinryu fight at the end of Stormblood 4.0, in which you were fighting a giant monster/Zenos high in the clouds.

I'm still unsure how Valens will be dealt with. Will he whip out a super secret sixth Weapon and replace Diamond Weapon during phase 2 of the fight? Or after Alfonse and Diamond Weapon are defeated, do we simply land at Werlyt, walk in, and then deal with him in a cutscene?

- - - Updated - - -

New Famitsu interview with Yoshida

English translation

An important character that will play a crucial role in the Zodiark vs. Hydaelyn story will make its appearance.
    Hm... maybe Venat/Hydaelyn? But we already know her and she has appeared a few times throughout the story as the Great Crystal and as Minfillia, so IDK who this new important character is. It can't be Zodiark because he's broken up into pieces and incapacitated.

"I won't say Gaius won't have a role to play in the 6.0 main story, but I can't promise you he's going to have a main role."
    Hm... seems to indicate that Gaius might survive the Werylt storyline and be involved in rebuilding Garlemald.

・5.5 will feature new custom deliveries in The Firmament. The new character will be very unique and will be related to Ishgard's High Houses.
    Speaking of, would be nice to get a status update on what happened to that family with the husband/father who turned into a dragon and then came back. How is the rest of the community receiving him and the dragons? Changes in Ishgardian culture?

As of today, the numbers of players that have cleared Castrum and finished the quest is more than 4 times higher than the players who have cleared Eureka. Almost 50% of players are playing Bozja content.
    Sounds like Bozja has been a success. Probably because it actually has a meaty story this time throughout the whole experience, rather than the interesting stuff only being at the end.

There will be content similar to Castrum in that you have to attack a fortress in Zadnor.
    Rewards in Zadnor will include gear and mount(s?). Will include something some players will want at any cost.
    This could cause problems in the future where the playerbase might be split between the two zones. Also, Castrum has been out for 6 months now. By the time Zadnor comes out, people will have farmed all they wanted from Castrum and will be farming the Zadnor fortress, so we might be back to how Bozja was before DR came out where there weren't enough people in Bozja for Castrum, so Castrum runs weren't getting off the ground.

DR savage will not be tuned down gear-wise. However, it will be easier due to new lost actions and new resistance rank cap.
    Ha...hahaha... *shivers* ...I was hoping that once I grinded to rank 15, that was it. I was good for the rest of Bozja, and could die as often as I wanted in DR without having to worry about the future...

Really hope that the CEs and skirmishes/Fates in Zadnor give A LOT more mettle than in Bozja right now... haha

Also, god forbid there being a second 48 man raid. Will I have to be rank 20 to unlock the savage version?

The next step will be the last for Resistance Weapons. Its strength will be similar to that of the previous last-stage relic weapons.
    Hm. Guess Zadnor Fortress might be the last bit of Bozja storyline content, then. No second 48 man raid after like DR?

No Allied Beast Tribe Quests this time around.
    Disappointing.

We spent money to make the G Warrior, and seriously can't use it just one time. We're going to do something else with it.
    Hm... you said the same thing in a prior interview. I'm starting to suspect we won't see it again in 5.5 when fighting Diamond Weapon. Aw.

Adding a Valens van Varro emote is pretty difficult since we can already see it being used at other players in a not so nice way.
    You mean, the clapping? Just make a cute version of it, like a parent egging their kids on when they are trying to walk for the first time, or something. We already have encouraging emotes like people waving lights to direct people towards somewhere.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-03-31 at 05:47 AM.

I wish they'd stop treating the community like idiots. It's an emote...

They already ban people for spamming and misusing emotes, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I wish they'd stop treating the community like idiots. It's an emote...

They already ban people for spamming and misusing emotes, anyway.
    While I definitely agree with you, FF14 has easily the most fragile MMO community and Yoshida is all about making everyone comfortable with the game.

• Looks like Garlemald invades Thanalan and is responsible for burning the Amal'Jaa village. Perhaps the Empire sent troops to defend the towers? How on earth did Garlean forces break past the Alliance forces that were holding the line at the Ghimlyt Dark, let alone penetrate that deep into Eorzea?
    • Fordola comes back, is seen helping fight an Ifrit summon
    • Tiamat is freed from her prison, fights Lunar Bahamut. Also, other dragons help out.
    • Cuchulainn auracite summon in Bozja.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, looks like there are a lot of weapons in what appears to be the Garlemald Imperial Palace? Did adventurers/resistance heroes try raiding the palace to kill Zenos? He is seen picking up another katana, which I think might be misleading, as I can't see Zenos throwing away the magic Kami sword that Yotusuyu gifted Zenos for a shoddier katana, so I'm assuming he's just picking up that katana to look at it before dropping it and then picking up his real weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the G-Warrior has been strapped to the front of Cid's airship. Hm... not sure what that is for. The G-warrior was capable of seemingly limited flight, able to hover over the water. If it wasn't capable of flying, I think Cid could have created a full blown aero booster for it or something. But strapping it to the front of an airship way bigger than the G-Warrior itself? I don't see the G-Warrior being capable of combat then, but I can't think of any powers unique to the G-Warrior that would be useful to the people on the airship, like a shield or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Cid's airship doesn't really look like a useful airship. Looks like a flying platform, like the platform the Limsans jury rigged together for the sole purpose of fighting Leviathan, but this time to fight Diamond Weapon? Guess it won't really have any use after this then.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol I just noticed that the G-Warrior has a sawblade and a drill.

Uh... how is this going to work? Is the Diamond Weapon just going to conveniently fly in front of the G-Warrior and allow himself to be sawed by that little sawblade with limited reach? Or the Cloud Deck going to have ridiculous agility where the G-Warrior is flying and keeping up with the Diamond Weapon? Wouldn't the g-force throw people off the deck? IIRC there is no airship inertial dampener technology for people on the airships like in the Trails series.

- - - Updated - - -

They're showing footage of the Cloud Deck trial. Looks like the Diamond Weapon is so ludicrously agile it dodged an itano circus of missiles.

I don't get it. Why can't the Diamond Weapon just smash the platform into pieces, sending the WoL and friends falling to their deaths?

- - - Updated - - -

Ohhhh, does the platform split apart? That'd explain the prior screenshots of Diamond Weapon being in between two platforms of players.

- - - Updated - - -

Y "That's why I was able to show the cut scenes, it doesn't actually contain any spoilers, but as soon as I pull, there will be huge spoilers"
    Sounds like if he pulled, a textbox would play. Maybe it'd reveal that Valens was piloting the weapon?

- - - Updated - - -

Spoiler: 

Is that the ghost of Elidibus? I thought his soul was either broken up and went back to the lifestream, or was stuck in the Crystal Tower? Unless its the ghost of some other Ascian? Emet? Or is it a vision of Azem?

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-04-02 at 11:59 AM.

Spoiler: 

What I find interesting is that from the trailer Lunar Ifrit isn't a boss of the dungeon, unless they made it a 4 boss dungeon which seems unlikely.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post

Also, looks like there are a lot of weapons in what appears to be the Garlemald Imperial Palace? Did adventurers/resistance heroes try raiding the palace to kill Zenos? He is seen picking up another katana, which I think might be misleading, as I can't see Zenos throwing away the magic Kami sword that Yotusuyu gifted Zenos for a shoddier katana, so I'm assuming he's just picking up that katana to look at it before dropping it and then picking up his real weapon.
    That scene is very interesting. Those weapons don't even look like everyday toothpicks. Almost as if Zenos soloed a savage trial and every weapon dropped. Now he is rolling. And he definitely won't pick his final weapon till the second part of 5.5 which wil be after the digital fan fest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Spoiler: 

What I find interesting is that from the trailer Lunar Ifrit isn't a boss of the dungeon, unless they made it a 4 boss dungeon which seems unlikely.
    Spoiler: 
    How certain are we that Ifrit and Ravana are Lunar primals here? As for how we fight him/her/it? Maybe as a solo duty. Or a trial? I'm fairly certain this includes scenes from the second half as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post

Spoiler: 
    How certain are we that Ifrit and Ravana are Lunar primals here? As for how we fight him/her/it? Maybe as a solo duty. Or a trial? I'm fairly certain this includes scenes from the second half as well.
    Their coloring. They all have purple glowing parts like Lunar Bahamut. And if you watch the trailer you can see which are fought with trusts and which ones aren't.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Their coloring. They all have purple glowing parts like Lunar Bahamut. And if you watch the trailer you can see which are fought with trusts and which ones aren't.
    I'm 99% sure you are correct, but we can never be certain. All we know is that Ifrit is not the same from ARR. But everyone can summon Ifrit and it will always be different.

EDIT:

Sweet, baby Jesus it's not just Ifrit and Ravana. At 1:59 that is Odin. Maybe even Lunar Odin if that is possible. Versus Urianger and Thancred.
    Last edited by Wangming; 2021-04-02 at 03:18 PM.

I mean, he broke his old sword in 5.4, what's so misleading about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Spoiler: 

Is that the ghost of Elidibus? I thought his soul was either broken up and went back to the lifestream, or was stuck in the Crystal Tower? Unless its the ghost of some other Ascian? Emet? Or is it a vision of Azem?

Gaia?

Unlikely perhaps because optional content, but it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Gaia?

Unlikely perhaps because optional content, but it's possible.
    Whoever it is, they seem to have a lot of light. Gaia is the oracle of Darkness and she's also in the First while this scene is set in Mor Dhona.

She mentioned the possibility of learning how to port to other worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    She mentioned the possibility of learning how to port to other worlds.
    I'd think you'd need an Ascian soul crystal to learn the darkness teleport ability (does that let you traverse the aetherial rift, though?). Then again, Zenos being able to use that ability with just the Resonant may imply that it's an ability tied to the Echo.

I finished my RDM relic today...

I think I'll work on DRK, next. Then NIN.

Oh, are we updating on what we're doing with our characters?

Well, my Miqo'te (main) is busy leveling Dragoon to lvl 60 so I can go in to Stormblood with a lvl 60 DPS class/job instead of a lvl 66 Red Mage.
    My Au Ra alt is working his way through the Crystal Tower raids so he can finish the Post ARR MSQ since Crystal Tower was made a requirement in 5.3

Also going through Duties to farm the event currency to get one more mount on my main before the event ends. Though there's still time left before 5.5, there's just so much of the Main Scenario roulette I can take.
    Last edited by RampageBW1; 2021-04-05 at 02:31 PM.