1. #50221
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Where the heck are all the other sundered Ascians these days? We're down three paragons and 2 sundered ala Eden's Promise. After Fanny and ourselves that should leave 4-5 ascians left on the Convocation. They might not be as strong as Elidibus or Emet Selch but surely they wouldn't agree with Fanny to just abandon the rejoining and destroy everything. Or would they? What the hell are they doing while the world is burning?? Have they accepted death? This needs to be addressed before they close the book on the ascians for good.
    Probably waltzed off after all of the Unsundered died.

    Fanfic explanation for what they did:

    Spoiler: 
    You are just some farmer on some random shard. You were putting the tools away in the shed and about to go inside your house to relax with your wife, Felicia, when all of the sudden, some guy in black robes teleports in front of you. He calls you "Altima", a name you have never heard of before, and shoves a crystal into your hand. Your mind is flooded with memories of an ancient world and fragments of a prior life long ago. You somewhat feel a sense of nostalgia, a sense of loss. The guy in front of you calls himself Elidibus, and says "come with me Altima, we shall save our brethren". Unthinkingly, you agree, (due to your recency bias of having just gotten emotionally overloaded with memories of friends and loved ones from long ago). He gives you black robes and whisks you away to some conference room in the Aetherial Rift.

    In the Chrysalis, you get to meet the other Ascians. A man walks up to you and introduces himself as Nabriales. You greet him. He excitedly tells you about his plans for a rejoining. Something seems off. He seems... excited? Excited about destroying an entire world?

    And then it hits you. You start coming to your senses. "What am I doing here?" you ask yourself. You are with 12 other guys you don't really know. Oh, Elidibus says your comrades with them, and the memory crystal gave you a sense of camaraderie with the other Convocation Members in the past... but you have nothing in common with these people. The three Unsundered leaders are fanatical about restoring some old world and continually insist that everyone is a brother here. But when the Unsundered aren't around, the other 9 Ascians reveal their true nature. About half of them are psychopaths and serial killers who only want to use their newfound powers to go on murder sprees. And the other half of the Sundered seem to be rather unenthusiastic and quiet... almost as if they aren't really into this whole "kill untold numbers of people to bring back people I don't know" thing.

    You think back to your wife Felicia, remembering how you wrapped a blanket around her as the two of your watched snowflakes gently fall in the winter, holding a warm cup of soup in your hands...

    After the meeting concludes and the Unsundered teleport away, you decide to teleport back home to your wife's side. You enjoy your dinner and go to bed. You wake up, intending to work on the farm... when you remember Elidibus. You remembered the fervor with which he spoke... and heard of all of the things he and the other Unsundered had done. Heard of Emet-Selch's unfathomable power. Head of Lahabrea's terrible schemes. "What if they think I have betrayed them?" you thought. It shook you. You hurriedly teleported back to the Chrysalis, just in time to welcome the arrival of your Unsundered masters.

    "Greetings Elidibus!" say half of the Sundered Ascians enthusiastically. The other half - including yourself - can only weakly parrot the lines, as if it was a chore. Elidibus doesn't seem to notice. And so it becomes routine, showing up on time, if only to keep the Unsundered from coming after you.

    "Altima" said Elidibus. "You will go to the 4th Shard and prepare it for rejoining."
    "Aye" you said weakly.

    You teleported to the 4th. A medieval world. You watched farmers work in the fields. Men like you. Men with families, like you.
    "I can't kill these people!"

    At the next meeting, Elidibus asks for a progress report on the 4th.
    "Still working on it."
    Emet-Selch spoke up. "Do not be hasty, Elidibus. You know how long it takes for these things to be ready. Decades, centuries! Our work requires patience."
    You sigh in relief.

    Years pass. You continue stalling for time, but you fear that eventually... all it will take is just for one of your fellow Ascians checking the 4th out of curiosity, and then it all comes crashing down. Your wife Felicia can see your anxiety whenever you return home. Until one day, Ascians start disappearing. First it was Nabriales, and then it was Igeryohm, and then Lahabrea. You hear that there is someone called "The Warrior of Light" who has been slaying Ascians. You and the other unenthusiastic Ascians can only hope that whoever person is, that they get rid of these other madmen.

    One day, you teleported into the Chrysalis, expecting to report to Elidibus. You, Halmrut, and Tom (his Ascian name was Deudalaphon, but he preffered to go by what he considered his "real" name when the Unsundered weren't around) waited for hours.
    Elidibus never showed up.
    Halmrut spoke up. "Is he... gone?"
    Tom let out a cheer. "YES! Finally! We are free! Woo!"
    Tom promptly teleported away, going back to his toy workshop on the 8th.

    You teleport back to you farm. You open the door.
    "Felicia... I'm home."

    THE END


    I hope Altima, Halmrut, and Deudalaphon are relaxing and living the good life.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Remember, Gaius has killed a few too given that he has their masks on his belt. Not sure which ones those are though. I'm sure they'll be discussed or touched on in Endwalker.
    He had 3 black masks and 2 red masks on his belt. That means he killed 3 goons, and only 2 sundered. Without White Auracite, he wouldn't have been able to permakill either of the 2 sundered Ascians. However, Elidibus and Emet were very busy during the events of 4.3 through 5.3, so I doubt that they raised up any other Ascians in the mean time. Maybe the other Sundered attempted to do so.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  2. #50222
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Posts
    1,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I'm sure we will get there eventually. But we still haven't seen Meracydia or the New World, so there is plenty to explore on Hydaelin. Plus all the shards that didn't get destroyed yet.

    For EW I am excited, but worried. I trust Natsuko Ishikawa to write good stories for characters that seem uninteresting now, but I really don't feel the struggle with everyone surviving everything. Hell they missed the obvious chance for a Freaky Friday flip when we brought back the souls of the Scions. I won't leave till Endalker especially not for WoW, but for me this is a last chance. I am huge on story. It is a make or break for me. And if I don't feel that the literal end of the world is a threat I will lose interest.
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing Meracydia in EW, and I'm super excited for the New World, I want to see how they portray all the cultures because if we have a New World continent I think they will do it like Othard and just have a few zones exemplifying some countries/cultures and being south american I'd love to see their take on it.

    I'm sure there is a possibility EW can turn fannydanny and others around and be interesting, I'm just not holding my breath for it. The end of the world so far has felt rather like just an inconvenience. The SB/ShB transition had my heart pumping way more than this.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I just started playing and have a few questions:

    1) How does transmog in this game work? I've read about it, and it seems vastly inferior and more cumbersome than WoW. The options are way better obviously, but there's no "collections" where you just get something and have that look forever. For instance, I've been vendoring low-level gear while leveling. But it seems that I needed to keep that gear if I want to mog it by dumping it into a closet? Which has limited space? So basically like void storage from Cata? If only it were just as simple as you loot the piece, you have it forever as an option.

    2) When does the leveling get interesting / fun? I know people say ARR is a slog, but man...the classes are super slow. I'm ARC level 20, and I feel like I have almost no abilities. And from reading, it doesn't seem like FF14 classes really have any "utility" / flavor abilities - every ability is just damage or healing and is meant to be used. There's no Eyes of the Beast, Ghost Wolf, Demonic Circle like abilities. Also, doesn't seem like any classes really have any mobility - don't see anything that is the equivalent of Charge / Fel Rush / Heroic Leap / Grappling Hook / Roll.

    Also, 99% of quests seem to be just "go here, give this person this". Does the game ever evolve beyond that in terms of quest design? I know it's ARR, but if this is the majority of the game with just some additional perks down the road, not sure if I can stick with it.
    1) Transmog, which is called Glam, is as bad as you think it is. You need to storage the item to create glam plates to apply to armor sets or carry the piece around with you and manually apply the appearance. It's like WoW's before the collections tab was created and we still used void storage. It doesn't seem like it's going to get better any time soon.

    2) The game is mostly a JRPG, the MMO part is an afterthought. If you want to enjoy it look at it as playing through a traditional Final Fantasy game where you'll just kill some random encounters and move from place to place watching cutscenes and learning about the world and story and doing side quests for lore and glam, oh and minigames, as per FF tradition lots and lots of fun minigames. This is not a WoW clone despite it's looks and control set up. As for the jobs they are really strong on class fantasy but have no class flavour. That means the abilities you get, the job quests, the lore behind them, really really good, but it's just a coating. When you use your katana abilities you feel like some high fantasy samurai, but that's as far as it gets. The flavour you want from WoW is not there, there's no utility besides some jobs being able to res and some other jobs having raid wide buffs. The range classes get slows and roots but they are never used, casters get CC but it's also never used, melee jobs get stuns which can be used some times but rarely matter and tanks interrupts, which do matter. Again this is just a JRPG with multiplayer attached to it, it's not WoW style MMO.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2021-06-04 at 01:09 AM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

    "If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

  3. #50223
    Herald of the Titans Dartz1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,911
    i do love my yshtola she always keeps me safe such a very good waifu... remember to always use her in trust instance runs she's the best caster.
    You can't take what ya can't see... *rolls d20* You rolled a natural 20* The skill of stealth is successful.

    Duelingnexus name: Jaina1337
    Blizzard Battle Tag: Jaina1337#1396

  4. #50224
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    I have a feeling we'll be seeing Meracydia in EW, and I'm super excited for the New World, I want to see how they portray all the cultures because if we have a New World continent I think they will do it like Othard and just have a few zones exemplifying some countries/cultures and being south american I'd love to see their take on it.


    There is a chance for that sure as we are still missing one more zone. But I think the mistery zone will be on the Moon as well. I guess we shall see. And yeah the New World has lots of potential. Maybe we could even get a blue mage into the main cast.

  5. #50225
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Probably waltzed off after all of the Unsundered died.

    Fanfic explanation for what they did:

    Spoiler: 
    You are just some farmer on some random shard. You were putting the tools away in the shed and about to go inside your house to relax with your wife, Felicia, when all of the sudden, some guy in black robes teleports in front of you. He calls you "Altima", a name you have never heard of before, and shoves a crystal into your hand. Your mind is flooded with memories of an ancient world and fragments of a prior life long ago. You somewhat feel a sense of nostalgia, a sense of loss. The guy in front of you calls himself Elidibus, and says "come with me Altima, we shall save our brethren". Unthinkingly, you agree, (due to your recency bias of having just gotten emotionally overloaded with memories of friends and loved ones from long ago). He gives you black robes and whisks you away to some conference room in the Aetherial Rift.

    In the Chrysalis, you get to meet the other Ascians. A man walks up to you and introduces himself as Nabriales. You greet him. He excitedly tells you about his plans for a rejoining. Something seems off. He seems... excited? Excited about destroying an entire world?

    And then it hits you. You start coming to your senses. "What am I doing here?" you ask yourself. You are with 12 other guys you don't really know. Oh, Elidibus says your comrades with them, and the memory crystal gave you a sense of camaraderie with the other Convocation Members in the past... but you have nothing in common with these people. The three Unsundered leaders are fanatical about restoring some old world and continually insist that everyone is a brother here. But when the Unsundered aren't around, the other 9 Ascians reveal their true nature. About half of them are psychopaths and serial killers who only want to use their newfound powers to go on murder sprees. And the other half of the Sundered seem to be rather unenthusiastic and quiet... almost as if they aren't really into this whole "kill untold numbers of people to bring back people I don't know" thing.

    You think back to your wife Felicia, remembering how you wrapped a blanket around her as the two of your watched snowflakes gently fall in the winter, holding a warm cup of soup in your hands...

    After the meeting concludes and the Unsundered teleport away, you decide to teleport back home to your wife's side. You enjoy your dinner and go to bed. You wake up, intending to work on the farm... when you remember Elidibus. You remembered the fervor with which he spoke... and heard of all of the things he and the other Unsundered had done. Heard of Emet-Selch's unfathomable power. Head of Lahabrea's terrible schemes. "What if they think I have betrayed them?" you thought. It shook you. You hurriedly teleported back to the Chrysalis, just in time to welcome the arrival of your Unsundered masters.

    "Greetings Elidibus!" say half of the Sundered Ascians enthusiastically. The other half - including yourself - can only weakly parrot the lines, as if it was a chore. Elidibus doesn't seem to notice. And so it becomes routine, showing up on time, if only to keep the Unsundered from coming after you.

    "Altima" said Elidibus. "You will go to the 4th Shard and prepare it for rejoining."
    "Aye" you said weakly.

    You teleported to the 4th. A medieval world. You watched farmers work in the fields. Men like you. Men with families, like you.
    "I can't kill these people!"

    At the next meeting, Elidibus asks for a progress report on the 4th.
    "Still working on it."
    Emet-Selch spoke up. "Do not be hasty, Elidibus. You know how long it takes for these things to be ready. Decades, centuries! Our work requires patience."
    You sigh in relief.

    Years pass. You continue stalling for time, but you fear that eventually... all it will take is just for one of your fellow Ascians checking the 4th out of curiosity, and then it all comes crashing down. Your wife Felicia can see your anxiety whenever you return home. Until one day, Ascians start disappearing. First it was Nabriales, and then it was Igeryohm, and then Lahabrea. You hear that there is someone called "The Warrior of Light" who has been slaying Ascians. You and the other unenthusiastic Ascians can only hope that whoever person is, that they get rid of these other madmen.

    One day, you teleported into the Chrysalis, expecting to report to Elidibus. You, Halmrut, and Tom (his Ascian name was Deudalaphon, but he preffered to go by what he considered his "real" name when the Unsundered weren't around) waited for hours.
    Elidibus never showed up.
    Halmrut spoke up. "Is he... gone?"
    Tom let out a cheer. "YES! Finally! We are free! Woo!"
    Tom promptly teleported away, going back to his toy workshop on the 8th.

    You teleport back to you farm. You open the door.
    "Felicia... I'm home."

    THE END


    I hope Altima, Halmrut, and Deudalaphon are relaxing and living the good life.
    Dude, get into writing. Seriously.

  6. #50226
    So because FF doesn't have an equivalent to WoWhead, or at least datamining of upcoming expansions, do you guys always get a bunch of unmentioned QoL improvements / features that aren't mentioned on the front page of the expansion or in the interviews / reveals?

    For instance, when the expansion drops, could people suddenly find the glam dresser now holds up to 1000 items? Things like that.

  7. #50227
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So because FF doesn't have an equivalent to WoWhead, or at least datamining of upcoming expansions, do you guys always get a bunch of unmentioned QoL improvements / features that aren't mentioned on the front page of the expansion or in the interviews / reveals?

    For instance, when the expansion drops, could people suddenly find the glam dresser now holds up to 1000 items? Things like that.
    Well we have dev blog posts and live letters so we pretty much know everything save for story stuff and fight mechanics. Granted even the last zone and the name of the dungeons is considered story stuff.

  8. #50228
    Also, can I play the same account on both ps5 and pc? And can I have separate HUDs for them or do I have to change every time I switch? Is the game hard to play on a controller?

  9. #50229
    Pandaren Monk Cren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Also, can I play the same account on both ps5 and pc? And can I have separate HUDs for them or do I have to change every time I switch? Is the game hard to play on a controller?
    You can have separate HUDs for them, but you do need to buy them separately. PC version doesn't work on Playstation or the other way around. Don't think you need separate subs for them tho.

    I've been playing from start to end of Stormblood so far on the PS5 with a controller and have had no issues at all. It works very well on the controller. I did have to change the settings around quite a bit to set it up as i want it, but that was all personal things so don't know if you will need that tho.

    I would recommend a keyboard as well for when you do dungeons and raids because chatting with a controller doesn't really work very well

  10. #50230
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So because FF doesn't have an equivalent to WoWhead, or at least datamining of upcoming expansions, do you guys always get a bunch of unmentioned QoL improvements / features that aren't mentioned on the front page of the expansion or in the interviews / reveals?

    For instance, when the expansion drops, could people suddenly find the glam dresser now holds up to 1000 items? Things like that.
    We'd know about something like that before it drops. And sadly, we've heard nothing on that end. Frankly the whole glamour system needs to be redesigned like the transmog system where instead of having finite storage you can just pull up a list of gear from dungeons and raids and it becomes checked off for your use forever the instant you obtain it once. But, the game seems so vastly underfunded and stripped to bone at this point that a bandaid like you mentioned is probably the most we can over hope for.

    As of yet however expanding the storage hasn't so much been mentioned in any live letter or fan fest. It really makes you wonder if they understand their own game sometimes to neglect such a critical part of endgame that would hardly require any resources to improve. For my part I'm constantly removing and replacing gear pieces I like with ones I like a little more because there just isn't room for it all. I just wish the storage limit juggling act wasn't such a constant nuisance.

  11. #50231
    The Lightbringer Wangming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Not Azeroth
    Posts
    3,206
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Also, can I play the same account on both ps5 and pc? And can I have separate HUDs for them or do I have to change every time I switch? Is the game hard to play on a controller?
    As Cren said you can have the same account details and the same characters but you have to buy the game twice if you want to buy them at the same platform. Of course you only pay one sub. It is technically just one account. But inside the account you have separate game licenses for each supported platform.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post

    As of yet however expanding the storage hasn't so much been mentioned in any live letter or fan fest. It really makes you wonder if they understand their own game sometimes to neglect such a critical part of endgame that would hardly require any resources to improve.
    Yes they do. And it might require more resources than you think. Yoshida did say repeatedly that he would love to do a WoW still log for glamour if he had the funding of WoW. But he doesn't. Not yet, anyway.

  12. #50232
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    So because FF doesn't have an equivalent to WoWhead
    Closest equivalent would be Gamerescape, though it is lacking compared to WoWhead.
    Also, Garland tools (for checking out NPC appearances, FATE timers, if a rare gathering material spawns at Dravania at 2 AM in the morning on Wednesdays, etc)
    Universalies for checking out market board prices across all servers without having to spend time hopping around each one.
    For optimizing your job rotation for endgame raids, you want to head to the Balance Discord and read the guides in the stickied channels. Don't expect the people there to be much help.

    Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    at least datamining of upcoming expansions
    The FFXIV datamining discords don't publicly advertise themselves. You'll have to join like the r/FFXIV Discord and then ask for people to redirect you to one. Maybe you can join one of those FFXIV modding discords and they will direct you to one.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  13. #50233
    Been thinking a lot about Final Fantasy XIV
    I want to play it.

    Some funny things i noticed about this game this past few days:

    1)
    The WoW youtuber i hate the most, Bellular, cant shut up about the game now.
    Anyway, im pissed that A LOT of Final Fantasy Youtubers are doing those "REACT" videos on Bellular streams talking about the game.
    This poor souls dont know Bellular sold his soul to the devil and only does clickbait and pretends to be "all-knowing"


    2)
    This video is completely amazing to me Even though is TTS


  14. #50234
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    1)
    The WoW youtuber i hate the most, Bellular, cant shut up about the game now.
    Anyway, im pissed that A LOT of Final Fantasy Youtubers are doing those "REACT" videos on Bellular streams talking about the game.
    This poor souls dont know Bellular sold his soul to the devil and only does clickbait and pretends to be "all-knowing"
    Yeah, FFXIV youtubers are pretty cringey. Only one really worth staying subbed to is ZeplaHQ.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  15. #50235
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    1)
    The WoW youtuber i hate the most, Bellular, cant shut up about the game now.
    Anyway, im pissed that A LOT of Final Fantasy Youtubers are doing those "REACT" videos on Bellular streams talking about the game.
    This poor souls dont know Bellular sold his soul to the devil and only does clickbait and pretends to be "all-knowing"
    You can't really fault the game for that though and you can always not watch those videos and block channels that you don't like so they won't show up in your feed.

  16. #50236
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah, FFXIV youtubers are pretty cringey. Only one really worth staying subbed to is ZeplaHQ.
    Zepla is the cringiest of all of them though XD

  17. #50237
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    You can't really fault the game for that though and you can always not watch those videos and block channels that you don't like so they won't show up in your feed.
    I dont fault the game at all I really want to play it

  18. #50238
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Zepla is the cringiest of all of them though XD
    Cringy is one word I'd never think of when watching Zepla. she's just enjoying herself and her favorite hobby without going overboard or being a prick about it like Asmon.

  19. #50239
    Titan Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    Cringy is one word I'd never think of when watching Zepla. she's just enjoying herself and her favorite hobby without going overboard or being a prick about it like Asmon.
    Asmongold is a "prick"? He has some hot takes but I don't recall him being vitriolic. I think is the WoW streamer who has the most down to earth honest assessment about the game, followed by Belluar. I like Preach somewhat but he tends to hold back, and is a bet too much on the "WoW should be for raiders" argument that killed WoW's mainstream popularity in the first place.

    . - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

  20. #50240
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Yes they do. And it might require more resources than you think. Yoshida did say repeatedly that he would love to do a WoW still log for glamour if he had the funding of WoW. But he doesn't. Not yet, anyway.
    As outlined in my post, I recognize it would take resources to overhaul the system. But a bandaid fix like toggling the storage limit on the pre-existing system to a higher number wouldn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yeah, FFXIV youtubers are pretty cringey. Only one really worth staying subbed to is ZeplaHQ.
    You want to talk about cringe?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •