The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    That sounds more like something that you want to be true than something that could actually be measured, but sure.
    Nothing to do with "wanting" it to be true, when it just straight up is true in my experience. But ok.

Its hilarious how some of the FF14 community act like certain affluent white people when a affluent black person moves into the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    This is why I encourage people to speak up, or just give quick run downs of the BASICS regardless, assuming someone is new or doesn't know/ remember the fight.
    I may start doing this on Titan at least. It is by far the worst offender. Ideally I'd never have to do any trials again, but unfortunately they come up in leveling roulette. Such a waste too, they do not give enough EXP for a 15 minute DPS queue.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    Maybe people also stop at some point just telling that they're new, as it gets ignored most of the time anyway, according to my experience. Last example was in the last trial I did (Steps of Faith). Wrote I was new while I was still in the opening sequence. None wrote anything back and it was just pulled. Just judging by the HP of the people there, it seemed only one DD was also new to it. So 6 other players knew the boss, and not one decided to write a few words, while they were waiting anyway for my cutscene to be finished.
    And, furthermore, this also seems to be more of an awareness issue of these players, than one with watching guides. Even on Titan, which isn't as intuitive as other marks on the ground, one could see how the other players react (which know the boss) and copy that behaviour. There's easily enough time.
    A lot of time, as a max level player, you don't really remember the older fights. Like for Steps of Faith, there's a dragon, some adds, and some mechanic involving a harpoon, I think. You really only remember what to do once the fight starts and things happen. You kind of rely on general principles and over-poweredness due to scaling to take you through the older fights.

The 8-man raid series in Shadowbringers makes fun of this aspect. You have to fight the WoL's memories of primals, only she remembers half of them wrong and mixes primals together (and Titan is clearly PTSD, that's the only explanation for that version of the fight).

Its PotD that good for leveling new jobs? im planing on doing all jobs on all characters, tanks and heals have fast queues so i can just dungeon spam but my issue is leveling the dps jobs

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Its PotD that good for leveling new jobs? im planing on doing all jobs on all characters, tanks and heals have fast queues so i can just dungeon spam but my issue is leveling the dps jobs
    Yes, you can start leveling them through PotD (if you have it unlocked) at level 1. I used it for many of my jobs when I was really trying to level them quickly, otherwise I just stuck with roulettes and highest level dungeon as I was doing other things (Beast Tribe Quests, Crafting, Gathering, MB shopping, Glamour making, etc...).

Heaven on High (HoH) is available in Stormblood starting at level 61 and is the same thing, but floors 21-30 are the ones you spam for leveling.

Once you unlock floors 51-60 in PotD (for levels 1-61) or 21-30 in HoH (for levels 61-70), just spam them as those are the most time efficient floors as far as xp/hour.

Even as someone who advocates for using it for leveling, beware. That shit is monotonous and boring AF and you can get burnt out quick. Break up the monotony with a few actual dungeons or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've noticed people don't speak up if there's nothing that someone can do to ruin it for everyone. I've only done Steps of Faith twice, but near as I could tell as long as there were people on canons there wasn't much else to do but beat on the boss and adds.
    Aye, that's true. That seems to be the case in most instances that are tied to the MSQ - most mechanics cannot really fuck up the entire run. However, as you get ignored around 3 out of 4 times as a new player (personal experience), it's impossible to tell if it's just another "ok, everyone ignores it" or "ok, nothing here is really important".

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Ouch, you didn't even need a guide for that one either except for Ultima. I feel bad for new players in Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium, they're popular for MSQ roulette but no one ever tells sprouts the entire dungeon is basically just running through everything or that 30-45 minutes of it is cutscenes.

Crystal Tower is also a chaotic nightmare. It's one I recommend not watching guides for because it's confusing AF, 90% of the mechanics are ignored, and usually at least one person gives a quick summary on fights where they matter. There is an updated guide I could recommend if you want one that goes over the raids with a modern lens, but the place is just a mess. I'm glad I knew about the raid wipe abilities, everything else I learned was useless. It's just 24 people crashing into things.

I recommend MTQcapture for guides. She's been careful about spoilers for all the ones I've watched. I don't recall HW having much in the way of spoilers in their dungeons anyway, typically you knew what your objective was.
    Yes, MTQcapture were the guides I was watching at the time - they were the first ones to pop up when googling, and they are quite good.

And for Castrum / Praetorium: Yes, that's true as well. My problem wasn't about just running through,though, it was more about the guide spoilering which bosses you fight at which point in the instance. Watching the guide it was like: Oh, so this will happen in this instance. Oh, so this NPC from the story is in this part. Oh, so we also fight that one here and end this part of the storyline here. So this wasn't the endboss? Etc. It's not huge, but I'd still very much prefer to actually experience this ingame, than watching it in a video shortly before that.

But this is the general issue with random groups in more or less every game. You always will have all sorts of people, who expect different things out of it, have different experiences, etc. There is imo only one way to work well with this, and that is communication (from both sides).

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    A lot of time, as a max level player, you don't really remember the older fights. Like for Steps of Faith, there's a dragon, some adds, and some mechanic involving a harpoon, I think. You really only remember what to do once the fight starts and things happen. You kind of rely on general principles and over-poweredness due to scaling to take you through the older fights.

The 8-man raid series in Shadowbringers makes fun of this aspect. You have to fight the WoL's memories of primals, only she remembers half of them wrong and mixes primals together (and Titan is clearly PTSD, that's the only explanation for that version of the fight).
    Haha, yes. I play for around a month or so now, and I have already issues remembering half the mechanics of specific instances. I'm also not the youngest anymore. Still, when I'm in an instance I know and someone asks, I always tell them at least what I remember.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-08-23 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I swear I don't know why I keep trying to have constructive conversations on FF Sub Reddits. If you criticize the game in any way other than the traditional "accepted" criticisms, then people lose their shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Squadron dungeons are the best way to level any role from 1-50. It can be good from 51-60 but I've heard the HW dungeons are a pain with Squadrons. That being said, you'll have put it some every to start it up so I'd look it up and get started and then level with PotD in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I swear I don't know why I keep trying to have constructive conversations on FF Sub Reddits. If you criticize the game in any way other than the traditional "accepted" criticisms, then people lose their shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Squadron dungeons are the best way to level any role from 1-50. It can be good from 51-60 but I've heard the HW dungeons are a pain with Squadrons. That being said, you'll have put it some every to start it up so I'd look it up and get started and then level with PotD in the meantime.
    My squadron is not leveled, i heard you need captain rank for doing dungeons with them

Only second lieutenant to run dungeons. You just need to level up your company with a few daily quests to beat one of the lowbie patrol missions and then dungeon runs are svailable.

15+ Year Old Account
    On one hand that might be nice, on the other hand XIV bosses tend to use a lot of universal telegraphs and markers that make them pretty understandable the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

Man, I wish Max allowed clips on his channel, the commentary about the XIV community and landmines from the other day is pretty spot-on
    Gimme timestamp. Love that guy's takes on games.

So, all of the Aether DC is now "congested" and no longer accepting new characters, Crystal is now the "preferred" DC even the high pop servers despite Yoshi-P saying both it and Primal are approaching congested status as well. They still haven't made much headway into solving the capacity issues due to the global semiconductor shortage.

I'd wanted to keep my trial account and start a new retail account, but at this rate I may have to upgrade my trial because I might not be able to make a character later if this continues.

Edit for source.
    Last edited by Lane; 2021-08-24 at 12:50 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

This happened before ShB, it's a temporary thing that has nothing to do with the population boom.

My squadron is not leveled, i heard you need captain rank for doing dungeons with them
    Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Only second lieutenant to run dungeons. You just need to level up your company with a few daily quests to beat one of the lowbie patrol missions and then dungeon runs are svailable.
    Second Lieutenant, which is not difficult, but does take a while to get to, and isn't possible until a minimum of level 47.

See link for the ranks and what's required to rank up each time. All GC's have the same requirements for rank up.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Grand_Company_Ranks

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree, the lore has already deeply established them as a pet class, calling on Egi's rather than large scale summons with massive amounts of power.
    Summoner hasen't been a pet class for years now lol. The egi's have two main executable attacks now, other than that, nothing else. Even titan's tanking was taken away. Summoner is now demi/trance focused. Calling out big summons for a phase and going away. The lore has pretty much established that XIV's summoner draws on power from the primals that allows the the SMN to use their attacks. The demis being bigger and in more complete forms than the egi's, if anything reflects a jump in Summoner's power.

It will be interesting to see where they take the trances. I would like to see more summons working like stands like Bahamut/Phoenix, but instead of them staying out, SMN just builds up through trances in order to do a BIG summon, and attack, akin to Red Mages finisher.
    Last edited by vallixas; 2021-08-24 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vallixas View Post
    Summoner hasen't been a pet class for years now lol. The egi's have two main executable attacks now, other than that, nothing else. Even titan's tanking was taken away. Summoner is now demi/trance focused. Calling out big summons for a phase and going away. The lore has pretty much established that XIV's summoner draws on power from the primals that allows the the SMN to use their attacks. The demis being bigger and in more complete forms than the egi's, if anything reflects a jump in Summoner's power.

It will be interesting to see where they take the trances. I would like to see more summons working like stands like Bahamut/Phoenix, but instead of them staying out, SMN just builds up through trances in order to do a BIG summon, and attack, akin to Red Mages finisher.
    It was a pet class up until Shadowbringers.

But the point remains, if we were to call on anything greater than the Egis, closer to actual primals, it would border on hypocritical given the entire purpose of the Scions is to prevent them from being summoned or immediately eliminating them.

Nah i'd argue Shadowbringers put more emphasis on SMN pets. Pets were just place and ignore, cast enkindle when up, for a while before they made us actually cast their abilities. They were just a glorified extra dot you forget about. SMN honestly stopped being a pet class the moment titan was stripped of it's tanking abilities. Pets ultimately don't have much usage now beyond being an extra dot. The demis and dots are SMN's main sources for damage. Pets have become so unecessary that I could totally see them abandoning them for more harder hitting demi trances.

SMN should either be more involved with pets, and have them bring something like party buffs or utility, or just be gone entirely for CD-bassd summons sort of like the phase now

Quote Originally Posted by vallixas View Post
    Nah i'd argue Shadowbringers put more emphasis on SMN pets.
    There are no more pets though, so I don't understand how you can even argue this. There is no separate pet to control anymore, no pet to target, no pet management whatsoever.

Pets were just place and ignore, cast enkindle when up, for a while before they made us actually cast their abilities. They were just a glorified extra dot you forget about.
    That's kind of what pets ARE, in MMO's. But the main point is that they're a completely separate, controlled but most importantly targetable entity that the "pet owner" has to manage. That last part is what sets the good pet class players from the bad, is the actual pet management. If you literally just forgot about your pet, you're doing it wrong.

SMN honestly stopped being a pet class the moment titan was stripped of it's tanking abilities.
    Yeah, that happened in Shadowbringers. That's why I said they stopped being a pet class in Shadowbringers, because that's when pets lost their ability to be targeted and actually take hits for the Summoner. ARR, HW and SB the pets could tank for the Summoner.

Pets ultimately don't have much usage now beyond being an extra dot. The demis and dots are SMN's main sources for damage. Pets have become so unecessary that I could totally see them abandoning them for more harder hitting demi trances.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'd hate to see them do this. It was initially designed to be a pet class. I want them to be a pet class again.

15+ Year Old Account
    That sounds more like something that you want to be true than something that could actually be measured, but sure.
    Nope, I've experienced it as well. There have always been bad actors in FF, true. But they were rare and extremely few and far between. The last few months there's been more than a noticeable increase in toxic mentality of the WoW community seeping into FF.

It makes me glad that SE has zero tolerance for harassing behavior. I just hope they can keep up with the influx.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    Are you referring to their gaming skill or their social behavior?
    100% social shitbags.

Gameplay is something that starts out low and improves over time because players want to improve. Toxic asshats don't tend to change without a good incentive to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

In fairness, that's how you used to tank. Maybe get some aggro with your threat stance initially, then turn it off to do more damage.

Entirely possible that they remember tanking that way back in the day and haven't played in ages and are thinking, "Haha, these noobs thinking you leave tank stance on. Pros know to turn it off." because that's what people told you back then.

- - - Updated - - -

So you ran into a bad player or rude person and said, "HEY!! You're from WoW, aren't you?!" and they said yes?

Or you ran into a bad player and said to yourself, "I KNEW IT! It's gotta be those WoW players here to ruin the neighborhood!!!"
    It sounds like you want it to be true that people want it to be true that toxic wow players are coming over so you can dismiss it as false.

Sorry bruv, no data on this, but it's become a common complaint among many of us who have played for 5 to 6 years. Even my FC mates who knew nothing about the wow exodus were complaining about a rise in toxic players before we even told them about the exodus.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"