Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Just finished stormblood completely, the whole of 4.0 was pretty boring tbh even the end, barely above ARR infact it pretty much felt just like ARR in terms of it just laying foundations of the new lands/people but not too much else. But the story started to become interesting when you had a chat with fordola in her cell early in 4.1. After that I i have really enjoyed the story so far.
    I felt pretty similarly.

But... the post-SB is when I thought the game started to have good writing and it continued pretty much through Shadowbringers, so the good news is I think you're starting the best part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Drindorai View Post
    I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good
    The Dark Knight story is grossly overrated. Don't mistake me; I think the Stormblood 60-70 one is actually goodish, it's just not the bestest thing ever like the FFXIV fandom hypes it up to be.

(I was playing a Paladin)
    The Gladiator stories (1-30 and 70-80) were okay. The 30-50 Pally story had interesting ideas but never did anything with them. HW was a joke but the localization made the last quest pretty funny. Shame that Paladin gameplay is boring until cap. Dark Knight is barebones but at least you have your kit right out the gate.

a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on
    Dark Knight is probably the most braindead easy tank job to play. Just spam your CDs when they come off of cooldown and press your 1-2-3 combo and that's it. If you want a more mechanically interesting job, play Warrior or Gunbreaker.

I swapped to a Dark Knight because I heard the story is really good
    The Dark Knight story is grossly overrated. Don't mistake me; I think the Stormblood 60-70 one is actually goodish, it's just not the bestest thing ever like the FFXIV fandom hypes it up to be.

(I was playing a Paladin)
    The Gladiator stories (1-30 and 70-80) were okay. The 30-50 Pally story had interesting ideas but never did anything with them. HW was a joke but the localization made the last quest pretty funny. Shame that Paladin gameplay is boring until cap. Dark Knight is barebones but at least you have your kit right out the gate.

a friend of mine told me there's an incredible amount of off cooldown abilities and it becomes super complex later on
    Dark Knight is probably the most braindead easy tank job to play. Just spam your CDs when they come off of cooldown and press your 1-2-3 combo and that's it. If you want a more mechanically interesting job, play Warrior or Gunbreaker.

I was wondering if it would be easier to stick to my Paladin and return when I get more experience?
    Are you enjoying Paladin? If the gameplay is too boring for and/or you would prefer wielding a giant sword to a sword & board aesthetic, then it can't hurt to switch.

P.S: Just do the first DRK job to unlock the job, and then postpone doing the quests until you level up enough you can do the whole questline in one go (as reach level 50 before doing the 30-50 questline). Also, for this questline, you'll also want to read the journal entries that recap your quest progression, as they are a little interesting. Again don't expect to be mindblown, it's just a little touch.

. - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There are superpowerful ancient primals imprisoned within Azys Lla. After Thordan transformed into a primal, he intended to go down into the containment cells and harvest the power of those primals, like how the Ultima Weapon harvested the powers of Ifrit, Titan, and Garuda in ARR. This does somewhat violate the lore because the idea of a primal eating another primal was never brought up outside of this context, but FFXIV started playing more and more fast and loose with its metaphysics as the story went on.
    His plan was to kill the triad and use Ascalon to absorb their aether like we see him do with Lahabrea. So no more violations there.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    use Ascalon to absorb their aether like we see him do with Lahabrea. So no more violations there.
    Oh, I completely forgotten about that scene. I wonder if that's something any primal can do, or if it's because aether absorbtion was a property of the original sword, and the creation magic was so effectively in recreating it that the new version has the same property.

. - - - - - Come play MMO-C mafia with us! / Steam / MyAnimeList - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Just finished stormblood completely, the whole of 4.0 was pretty boring tbh even the end, barely above ARR infact it pretty much felt just like ARR in terms of it just laying foundations of the new lands/people but not too much else. But the story started to become interesting when you had a chat with fordola in her cell early in 4.1. After that I i have really enjoyed the story so far.
    Tbh the main problem with "main" Stormblood questline is that it's unnecessarily split into 2, pretty much the same stories - Ala Migho and Doma liberation efforts, where Doma is pretty much 2/3 and Ala Migho is missing 1/3 (itself split into 2 parts which messes up the pacing even more)

If we could have just one liberation story for the whole expansion, with one set of characters, instead of carbon copies of themselves on both sides of the world, Stormblood I think would be much better adventure.

Stormblood felt like the weakest expansion storywise to me.
    The split focus absolutely annihilated the pacing, if they didn't think they could do a full expansion liberating Ala Migho they should have just set the whole thing in Doma. It's so blatantly obvious that's where the passion was for the team (makes sense Japanese devs doing fantasy-asia).
    Zeno's also falls into the arthas trap of alternating between being afk and pretending that he wanted to lose as an easy narrative excuse why he never does anything.

That and coming off the back of the infinitely superior HW writing and tight story. Oh and don't forget the weebshit/bait, to me Ivalice has always been western fantasy through a Japanese lens that's what makes it so unique, leaning into full weebshit made for the worst expansion when it came to the art especially compared to Ishgard's architecture.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

Imo stormblood is bad compared to heavensward and shadowbringers, im currently playing through both storm and shadow and i just cant care at all for the ala migo people, i honestly just cant, and lyse became such an insufferable character that i'll rather have her revert to who she was before

I gotta say, Asmongold streaming FFXIV today was quite entertaining. Tells you a lot about some companies when on the same day WoW's Lead Product Manager calls Asmongold an asshole publicly, SE got into Asmongold's Twitch chat and gifted subs even though he's not really a XIV streamer.

I'm not typically a fan of the Asmongold character, but he took XIV mostly seriously and almost certainly got the game some nice exposure given that the stream was hitting nearly 200k viewers at times.
    Shut your goddamn mouth, Gene!

I'd like to see an Elementalist-type class in the game. Similar to a Black Mage/Summoner but with bits from the Ninja; the Elementalist could combine elements together for a variety of effects. It would be able to manifest a variety of elemental powers, drawing from the four "classical" elements of earth, fire, wind, and water, as well as their combinations.

Quest wise, it could have something to do with the elemental creatures of Eureka. The elemental Sprites seen around Eorzea could play a part too.

I'm working on such a concept currently. It's a work in progress. I'm drawing inspiration from the Elementalist class of Guild Wars 2, and the benders from the Avatar cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I gotta say, Asmongold streaming FFXIV today was quite entertaining. Tells you a lot about some companies when on the same day WoW's Lead Product Manager calls Asmongold an asshole publicly, SE got into Asmongold's Twitch chat and gifted subs even though he's not really a XIV streamer.

I'm not typically a fan of the Asmongold character, but he took XIV mostly seriously and almost certainly got the game some nice exposure given that the stream was hitting nearly 200k viewers at times.
    It really is a big brain move to insult the biggest name associated with your game while your #1 rival is welcoming him.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    It really is a big brain move to insult the biggest name associated with your game while your #1 rival is welcoming him.
    To be fair, I would be embarrased if Asmonsperg was associated with something I did. Or maybe it's just his followers who give a bad rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post

The stream was insanely entertaining to the point where I watched it on the side from start to finish while playing. Its a long time since I ve seen asmon having legit fun.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    To be fair, I would be embarrased if Asmonsperg was associated with something I did. Or maybe it's just his followers who give a bad rep.
    It's both. I've been told he's "grown" a little over the years, but I always judge streamers by their community, and Asmon's is about as low as they get.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    The stream was insanely entertaining to the point where I watched it on the side from start to finish while playing. Its a long time since I ve seen asmon having legit fun.
    Yeah, it was genuinely surprising to see him really try and follow the story. He looked genuinely engaged. I loved his mild irritation at all the new names and the way some of the characters spoke. He really wasnt having any of it with the lallafels, though.

Im not sure which is gonna cause the bigger meltdown: Meeting Nanamo, or meeting Urianger. The only sad thing is we didnt have a zepla stream watching asmons stream. Her rage would have been off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    Im not sure which is gonna cause the bigger meltdown: Meeting Nanamo, or meeting Urianger.
    Uriangers use of English is always up for a chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Really? I heard it was a giant shitshow of people swarming him and blocking his view and progress at points.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    Really? I heard it was a giant shitshow of people swarming him and blocking his view and progress at points.
    It was at the start but once he learned how to get around that by changing some settings it became a lot better and it looked like people got bored at that point since they were essentially wasting their time and risking a harassment ban on top of it.

That Asmongold thing was a shitshow for no reason of his doing. But also telling that all the people going "we NEED to gatekeep him the fuck out of our game!" stream sniping him that got screenshotted were twitter bios with night elf headers and the usual sociopath warning sign "UwU softboy starwberry pastel milk" personas. Colour me not at all shocked. Seeing Blizzard employees goading it on like Adam Holisky was just gross.

Ironically the people screeching Asmon was going to bring a tidal wave of wowfugees to "shit up XIV with gatekeeper assholes" were the gatekeeper assholes themselves. Shame they themselves can't fuck off.
    http://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot.co.uk/ Neckbeard rambling about this weeaboo trash

It was, it was. But weirdly, the one thing i thought he'd genuinely hate (constantly being pulled into cutscenes) turned out to be a kind of safe space where he could just absorb the game. I think he even directly referenced it at one point (about being a parent in a single bedroom house with seven kids, and just going to the car and having that moment of 'existing').

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    That Asmongold thing was a shitshow for no reason of his doing. But also telling that all the people going "we NEED to gatekeep him the fuck out of our game!" stream sniping him that got screenshotted were twitter bios with night elf headers and the usual sociopath warning sign "UwU softboy starwberry pastel milk" personas. Colour me not at all shocked. Seeing Blizzard employees goading it on like Adam Holisky was just gross.

Ironically the people screeching Asmon was going to bring a tidal wave of wowfugees to "shit up XIV with gatekeeper assholes" were the gatekeeper assholes themselves. Shame they themselves can't fuck off.
    Bro, was that on Twitter or something? If that's true, that's disgusting unprofessional behavior towards another company who respects and looks up to Blizzard, very publicly.

Edit: ok I was able to find the deleted tweet, not trash talking SE per se but Asmon. Still, the point remains I guess. Real petty to trash a long time supporter of your game who brings in thousands of views across multiple platforms.
    Last edited by Absintheminded; 2021-07-04 at 01:26 PM.