Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They're still in a WoW mentality of endgame being the only important thing. Playing FFXIV is supposed to be a journey and you're supposed to take your time with it. Old raids and dungeons are still relevant on at least Normal mode so you can relive the entire lifespan of the game.

I get that that isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's FFXIV's greatest strength. In WoW, only the current patch is relevant. Everything else is dead. Makes their massive world seem pretty small in reality.
    I dont disagree with that. The thing is, some people don't want to play a single player game, and that is why i dont recommend this game to those people. As fun as it would be to do trials/raids with the people i have played with for 15+ years, i also dont want to have to hear them bitch about 3-5 buttons and voiceless cutscenes for a month as they slog through ARR and Heavensward. That is a hill that took me starting and stopping the game on 3 occasions to get past. My account was originally created in 2013, yet i didn't hit level cap for the first time until 2 months ago. I would quit playing for years at a time.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

Having finally gotten my "to be continued" on the MSQ i can say:

1) Heavensward its the greatest of the 3 expansions, including the patch quest
    2) Shadowbringers comes closely behind
    3) I HOPE AND PRAY i never EVER have to set foot on Ala'Mhigo ever again, worst expansion of the 3

Ala Mhigo is, perhaps, the game's weakest storytelling to date. We didn't need three zones devoted to the region as far as I'm concerned.

Ala Mhigo needed more. The worst part of SB is how they split the story into two sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    They're still in a WoW mentality of endgame being the only important thing.
    Except that MSQ is basically 99% solo activity and most people play MMOs to play with buddies, not to solo cutscenes.
    In WoW, you can level together. In XIV, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    if you are lvl 80 you can solo some of the turns i think
    You should be able to solo most of them and duo or trio others. The issues where you will run into are ones like T9 where the golems tether and become unkillable. You just need an extra body there to keep aggro so they are distant - I'm not sure if you can let two of them merge and kill that one or if you need 3 people though - I haven't tried that one in quite a while.

You can also solo a few of the Alexander savage raids too, although being a tank/healer might be necessary for the Creator tier. I haven't tried Midas, but I imagine that those might not be possible due to the mechanics to complete them alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Ala Mhigo is, perhaps, the game's weakest storytelling to date. We didn't need three zones devoted to the region as far as I'm concerned.
    I decided that my "main" would buy a skip and do everything the normal way, half way through stormblood i just couldnt do it anymore and boosted to shadowbringers, i really, really could get interested on a single character and now i have a profound hate for lyse

Ala Mhigo was not as good as Doma (Which was better than HW imo), but it was still good enough. I'm still in the SB > HW camp. Currently going through ShB and it's...ok? I just got to the rakita greatwood and things are getting better, but I haven't been super impressed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Except that MSQ is basically 99% solo activity and most people play MMOs to play with buddies, not to solo cutscenes.
    In WoW, you can level together. In XIV, not so much.
    You can level together. Sure you have to disband for solo instances, but they aren't super common. I've gone through ARR twice with two different people. It's not the best experience and honestly neither is WoW's. SWTOR has the best MMO group leveling experience IMO.

Regardless, the MSQ is one of the main strengths of FFXIV and what sets it apart. Some people won't like it, but in that case, there are plenty of other MMOs that will appease you since FFXIV is abnormal in this regard.

I decided that my "main" would buy a skip and do everything the normal way, half way through stormblood i just couldnt do it anymore and boosted to shadowbringers, i really, really could get interested on a single character and now i have a profound hate for lyse
    Yeah, Lyse is very wooden and bland.

Stormblood was also the perfect time to build on the nicer side of Garlemald that had been established with Gaius and Regula, yet instead decided to double down on the worst aspects so we could miss out on nuance and have the Ala Mhigans portrayed as poor victims...even though literally every time an Ala Mhigan showed up in the plot prior to Stormblood they were trying to backstab each other or someone else.

I loved the Far Eastern stuff. Kugane was great, by virtue of being a neutral nation with interesting aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    Ala Mhigo was not as good as Doma (Which was better than HW imo), but it was still good enough. I'm still in the SB > HW camp. Currently going through ShB and it's...ok? I just got to the rakita greatwood and things are getting better, but I haven't been super impressed so far.
    This is where I'm at as well. I think a lot of the Doma storytelling was good, especially in the post-4.0 content. I also never really understood the hate for Lyse. She's not my favorite character but I thought she was alright.

As for Shadowbringers, it gets the acclaim it does because of the later part of the MSQ. I'd say around 77 MSQ is when it starts getting really good and then the conclusion to 5.0 made it one of my favorite stories in games. The first part is just kinda establishing the zones and culture of the First, so it's good but not anything crazy.

Also, forgot to add, fuck patch 5.3, it made me ugly cry :,(

Eh, I did enjoy Stormblood

Ala Mhigo semeed out of place after spending so much time in the east, but made sense
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

I'll agree Lyse can be annoying, but hate? Same thing with Minfilia. I never understood why people HATED them so much. Hate that they're shitty characters maybe, but hate them AS a character? Can't wrap my head around that, they just never mattered to me so much to spend that much effort on them.

What about Lyse causes you to have so much hate for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'll agree Lyse can be annoying, but hate? Same thing with Minfilia. I never understood why people HATED them so much. Hate that they're shitty characters maybe, but hate them AS a character? Can't wrap my head around that, they just never mattered to me so much to spend that much effort on them.

What about Lyse causes you to have so much hate for her?
    With Minfilia, it was how she was praised so much by absolutely everyone, yet she ends up becoming princess peach (im still salty she didnt do shit to try and save Moenbryda)

With Lyse, her obsession with liberating ala mhigo, yes, its her people lands yadayada, but they just came from losing god knows how many to Ilberd plot and you want the remaining few to also go and die just because this time its totally going to be different?, also, Ilberd did more for ala mhigo than she could ever dream

With Minfilia, it was how she was praised so much by absolutely everyone, yet she ends up becoming princess peach (im still salty she didnt do shit to try and save Moenbryda)

With Lyse, her obsession with liberating ala mhigo, yes, its her people lands yadayada, but they just came from losing god knows how many to Ilberd plot and you want the remaining few to also go and die just because this time its totally going to be different?, also, Ilberd did more for ala mhigo than she could ever dream
    Minfilia is about as useful as a vegan in a butchershop.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    Minfilia is about as useful as a vegan in a butchershop.
    And the funniest shit is she did more good dead than alive

Also, forgot to add, fuck patch 5.3, it made me ugly cry :,(
    I failed the "don't cry through Shadowbringers" challenge, multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Minfilia is probably my least favorite character made worse by the fact that every other character in the game adores her.
    "People with depression score higher on tests of realism. Intelligence is positively correlated with mental illness and suicide. What this indicates is that if the mind understands too much about reality, it wants to destroy itself. Human life is existential horror."

I too don't really understand the hate for Lyse. She's not the most interesting character, but she does actually see some character growth.

Compared to Y'shtola / Yugiri, how can anybody call her bland? Yugiri is the most boring character by far, and Y'shtola is almost as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by infinitemeridian View Post
    I too don't really understand the hate for Lyse. She's not the most interesting character, but she does actually see some character growth.

Compared to Y'shtola / Yugiri, how can anybody call her bland? Yugiri is the most boring character by far, and Y'shtola is almost as bad.
    Y'Shtola is entertaining though, to me. She actually has a function within the group, as an expert on Aether and such, that gets used frequently.

Her "little sun" comment was also fantastic.