10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MsSideEye View Post
    Sooo, in other words, the only thing you'd lose if you don't resub?

And I'll say here the same thing I said to someone else before when it comes to concerning housing: I don't really expect a game that has the limiting housing space like 14 does to allow me to by something and then never use it. I'm effectively holding that part of their world hostage at that point if I can long in, buy it, and never sign in again. Letting a house go back up for sale is perfectly reasonable if the player remains inactive for an extended period of time.

Also, as far as I'm aware, if you've got a FC house (Which, let's be honest, the VAST majority of players are going to be a part of instead of having their own), then that'll stay around so long as a single member of the FC remains active. Baring that, a distinctly optional part of the game that you're effectively denying other players from having, my point of the Dev's Blessing for just NOT to play the game is still accurate and something that few companies much less Blizzard have EVER done.
    LoL.

You are whining like crazy about having to grind a bit to keep up with active players / deal with a little of weekly gating and then turn around defending SE holding people hostage with a house that the likelihood of getting beck is near 0?

The demo timer is 45 days, so I can't even lapse two months, let alone a whole patch cycle. Not that I'd want to, anyway but we're discussing systems here, not personal preference.
    Sorry but this is pathetic.

MMOs are designed around encouraging activity. If you cannot or do not want to be concurrently active, then the genre is not the right one for you.

Otherwise: get into a mom & pop guild that accepts these activity schedules and sticks to lower end content. Don't expect to be able to run mythic raids and dominate the parses on day 5 after a 6 month hiatus. Sheesh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    And don't be delusional. WoW still has way more players than FF. I can find a heroic raid at any time of the day (that's including between 2 and 6 am). Yesterday I had to wait in queue for 35 minutes, as a tank and healer combo, to do any of the Omega raid (which btw give tomestones for the event of verity of whatever its called). These are 8 people raids. Eight. 35 minutes of wait time. Lmao.
    Ah yes, comparing ancient content vs. current content que times to deduce the # of active players certainly makes a lot of sense...

No doubt WoW is still "bigger" than FF, FF is much more niche in it's design and does not appeal so much to the "raid or nothing" crowd due to a lack of bosses.

Ultimately, as long as the population is healthy in terms of finding groups or guilds, I don't give a rats rear end which game has more players.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2022-08-05 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    LoL.

You are whining like crazy about having to grind a bit to keep up with active players / deal with a little of weekly gating and then turn around defending SE holding people hostage with a house that the likelihood of getting beck is near 0?

The demo timer is 45 days, so I can't even lapse two months, let alone a whole patch cycle. Not that I'd want to, anyway but we're discussing systems here, not personal preference.
    Sorry but this is pathetic.

MMOs are designed around encouraging activity. If you cannot or do not want to be concurrently active, then the genre is not the right one for you.

Otherwise: get into a mom & pop guild that accepts these activity schedules and sticks to lower end content. Don't expect to be able to run mythic raids and dominate the parses on day 5 after a 6 month hiatus. Sheesh..
    Ok, first off, if you're going to prod me for something I already tried to wash my hands off, All I'm going to do is get angry. And I was ALREADY angry from before, so I KNOW for a fact that I'm not going to always be coherent/get things right. I KNOW I'm the kind of person that when I get mad, I lash out, no matter Effing what. But at this point I'm way past grumpy and you poked the bear.

I 'whine like crazy' because, guess the Eff what? Wow's current 'oh hey, let's have every one catch up and be on equal levels for jack all' attitude that I've been told, several times in this THREAD no less, is the current state of Shadowlands? Yeah, hate to break it to you, but I've got a huge stack of players and pretty much every single youtuber who reports on stuff like this that's told me that the stuff was there to gouge you for as much time as possible and the change was only done within the more recent patches after the biggest absolute crap of what Blizzard is like behind the scenes hit the fan. That's been their whole thing pretty much ever since Borrowed Power in Wow has been a thing.

And it's not even JUST the Borrowed power. Let's take Mythic Raiding, for example, a something I'd want to do. So at the very least I'm expect to hit, what, 15ish in Mythic Plus to get gear that's at least up to Heroic Raiding Quality? Then there's the double Legendaries I've got to farm for my class, the Domination sockets I've gotta get on the right gear, and that's not even mention the toxic cesspit that is trying to pug in WoW as a whole. That's just with things I'm aware of and I'm almost certain there's more than that! And that's just with THIS expansion and not mentioning all the crap Legion/BFA (Hi, Titanforging!) had us do as well if we even were thinking about going into any Raid. I could care less that it's better NOW when the most likely time I would be playing would be at the start an expansion and I'm laughed out of the damn dungeon because 'Lol, you haven't capped your AP weekly since the start'.

WoW at it's worst has always been a game that demanded you play it at the cost of ANYTHING else if you wanted to get ahead.

And that doesn't NOT equivalate to what Square Enix does with the housing, an optional piece of content that is there for your own pleasure, gives you no power, and it's in no way connected to raiding, dungeons, or any other form of progression that isn't fed back into the Housing itself and if I wanted to I could flat out ignore it entirely (AND DID for my first year) and it would have no impact one me as a player. And then there's the most important part: By owning it you're ACTIVELY DENYING other players from having it. In this case, it's perfectly understandable why this is something that I'm told that I lose if I don't play or sign in after X amount of time VS going and removing any other choice I wanted to raid seriously.

Yes, MMO's are designed around Encouraging activity. But I've never felt once in 14 like that if I wanted to get into Savage raiding, I'd have to sacrifice everything else to keep up to date with the latest and greatest. There was always tokens I could farm, new content that offered catch up gear with the 24 man raids, or even crafted gear that I could sink some guild into if I really wanted to knock on that door.

If I couldn't play for a month because of some real life issue or I got burned out on the game? Guess what, I'm able to leave, rest, and come back as good as new. There are people who play patch to patch in 14 because it allows them too. For huge sections of WoW's history? It's NEVER been like this. If you didn't come in for whatever reason, you were left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Yes, "at Blizzards' Feet" because of discussing a system in XIV.

Again, this is so weirdly personal for you.
    And since I've got yanked back in here, might as well answer you on this Cow.

It's personally for me because I LOVE World of Warcraft. It was my first big game that I ever got into like this since Pokemon, one that I could bond, play with, and grow with my friends. I spent YEARS in game, from Burning Crusade to Battle For Azeroth, and there are even times to this DAY that I miss playing it.

But I've also know what it's like to be an abusive relationship. I know what it's like to be hit around and told to act like a good girl all the while feeling TRAPPED. How I've got all these little things in Wow that are shoved into my face and told me that 'Oh, you're missing out if you don't play, it'll never appear again!' and making me feel horrible for not being a part of it. And how the company that I once saw as a bastion of good promising me time and again it'll be better... only to turn around and do anything they can to line their own pockets at my expense.

It's weirdly personal because I don't another wide eyed, eager to play gamer to EVER go through that. To be promised adventure, fun, and excitement only to be given a cage. It's a horrible, vile feeling and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW at it's worst has always been a game that demanded you play it at the cost of ANYTHING else if you wanted to get ahead.
    Let me stop you there.
    The key point is to find a guild with compatible individuals.

I raided actively from TBC till late WoD in WoW. Heroic and Mythic included. Yes, if you want to clear mythic content and be among the best the game is demanding. Not to the point of "thou shalt not play any other game besides me!" (that is BS hyperbole and you know it), but it demands you dedicate a little time to it every day. Yes. Working as intended.

Casuals, that means: people who do not raid on a rigid schedule in guild environments and take longer breaks, should not have the illusion that they are supposed to clear current mythic raids. Wrong target audience. There may be PuGs that manage it but these are probably rare unicorns to find and not the norm.

Pugging always was a cesspit in WoW, even back in the Wrath of the Lich King days. Raid leaders demanded an Ice Crown Citadel Gear Score in order to raid Trial of the Crusaders. There is a reason why I never bothered with these idiots and stuck to guilds.

To put it bluntly: What you describe is not a problem with the game, the game's mechanics or with the time gating (pimping MAU). What you describe is the ancient community problem of people thinking you cannot attempt/do/clear content unless you have every conceivable power upgrade there is and outgear the stuff to a ridiculous degree.

NEWSFLASH: content is NOT designed and balanced around people wearing BiS. People use that as a crutch because they are BAD.
    These people exist in virtually any online game.

My personal recommendation: stay away from people that make ridiculous demands of you and find people that know what they are doing and can set realistic requirements.

If you didn't come in for whatever reason, you were left behind.
    Vanilla and TBC kinda were like that (some classes could cheese it with OP crafting gear) but ever since Wrath, that statement holds no water. Blizzard deliberately offered catch-up mechanics and gear in every big patch that released a new content Tier because they knew it was unreasonable to ask people to raid SSC/TK->BT Just to take part in the Sunwell shenanigans. The easiest way to catch up was to do the lower difficulties of the current raid, starting with a few LFR runs, fun running normal and then going into Heroic.
    Yeah you won't be as powerful as the constantly active mythic raider but you would not be so gimped that the raid would bench you.

Again: while it is possible to do, the majority is not expected to be able to jump straight into mythic raiding after a 6 month hiatus. Mythic simply isn't designed for that and that's totally okay.

You cannot compare FF-XIV with WoW in that regard. WoW is FAR more gear dependent in general compared to XIV.
    XIV's encounters are "do the dance correctly" first and foremost.

- - - Updated - - -

It's weirdly personal because I don't another wide eyed, eager to play gamer to EVER go through that. To be promised adventure, fun, and excitement only to be given a cage. It's a horrible, vile feeling and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
    A bit hyperbolic but that's one reason why I dropped WoW eventually. Yeah sometimes I miss the world too.
    But the game developed in a direction I no longer find fun.
    Ever since I stopped raiding, I no longer give much hoots about character power, so any monotonous gear treadmill (and lets be honest: 95% of WoW is just that: people chasing character power at all costs) falls flat on it's face.

But I've also know what it's like to be an abusive relationship. I know what it's like to be hit around and told to act like a good girl all the while feeling TRAPPED. How I've got all these little things in Wow that are shoved into my face and told me that 'Oh, you're missing out if you don't play, it'll never appear again!' and making me feel horrible for not being a part of it. And how the company that I once saw as a bastion of good promising me time and again it'll be better... only to turn around and do anything they can to line their own pockets at my expense.

Just...holy crap. It's a company. They make a video game. They're not your ex, or your estranged mother or something.

Laying whatever other issues you have on a video game isn't reasonable or sensible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    A bit hyperbolic but that's one reason why I dropped WoW eventually. Yeah sometimes I miss the world too.
    But the game developed in a direction I no longer find fun.
    Ever since I stopped raiding, I no longer give much hoots about character power, so any monotonous gear treadmill (and lets be honest: 95% of WoW is just that: people chasing character power at all costs) falls flat on it's face.
    Yeah, that's kinda where I always end up.

I like WoW's gameplay and some systems, but every time I resub for a while I realize, "Oh wait, I'm not going to actually like...join a guild and have a raiding schedule and all that again." and then get bored and quit again.

Then again, I do the same in XIV, just for different reasons. It's less, "I don't feel like going through with this." and more "I've done all the things I wanna do, lets do something else for a little while."

15+ Year Old Account
    Boy, that's a friggin' laugh right about now...
    I'm not the one claiming to "not care" about WoW vs FF. I just posted a video about how the FF numbers are bigger than originally even estimated. Didn't mention WoW at all. Next post mentioned how a good part of it could be due to WoW falling apart. Then you started adding in your two cents and how you thought the video was bad simply because of the thumbnail, not realizing you'd just made a fool of yourself because the numbers are all quite legit, in addition to adding into the WoW vs FF conversation.

Then you kept going on with more tidbits and two cents into that same conversation. And you're still throwing your two cents in.

Again, for someone who "doesn't care" you certainly do like to play devil's advocate for WoW a lot on these forums while putting down FF when people are simply praising it.

Maybe you should think about why it is you're doing that?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BraveNewWorld View Post
    Yesterday I had to wait in queue for 35 minutes, as a tank and healer combo, to do any of the Omega raid (which btw give tomestones for the event of verity of whatever its called).
    Which Omega raids did you queue up for? Because you can only queue for 5 specific raids at one time, and there are 12 omega raids. People farming moogle tomestones are specifically only queueing for Halicarnsus, Alte Roit, and the painting boss because those are the fastest. Any other fight in the omega series will easily take you 35 minutes because the game is going to put you at the back of the line for "parties that need to be filled out by the normal raid roulette" since nobody wants to do the rest of those specifically.

I was getting instant to 2 minute queues queueing for those 3 fights at 4 AM in the morning on the crystal data center.

As a DPS.

I threw two other fights into the queue other than those 3, and out of several days of spamming those raids, I only got one of the other two fights once. It was O11. The fight easily took 4-5x as long to kill as the ones mentioned, and people died a lot because the mechanics are more complex.

And as mentioned, having to wait 35 minutes for an omega raid nobody wants to do is not indicative of a low population. FF numbers are way up across the board, and only continue to rise. FF is in a renaissance, and it's both wonderful and terrible. Terrible because all of a sudden there's a ton of "addons" that effectively play the game for you far more than ACT/Triggernometry ever could.

(Psst, don't look @Ghost of Cow, it has a clickbait thumbnail, it must be fake!)

But when a game becomes ultra popular, more people are going to cheat, because there's more reason to get those trophies that say "I am a great player" to show off to everyone. People care more about the status they exude when there's more people around to admire their "achievements".
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2022-08-05 at 06:49 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    I'm not the one claiming to "not care" about WoW vs FF. I just posted a video about how the FF numbers are bigger than originally even estimated. Didn't mention WoW at all. Next post mentioned how a good part of it could be due to WoW falling apart. Then you started adding in your two cents and how you thought the video was bad simply because of the thumbnail, not realizing you'd just made a fool of yourself because the numbers are all quite legit, in addition to adding into the WoW vs FF conversation.
    I only said that neither game releases real numbers and implied that I think Bellular is just a gigantic bellend.

Again, for someone who "doesn't care" you certainly do like to play devil's advocate for WoW a lot on these forums while putting down FF when people are simply praising it.
    No, that's what you WANT to see because you're so goddamned defensive about it.

I've said constantly - even in this very thread - that XIV is great. I've probably played it far more than most of the people on this forum that get all bent out of shape when people talk about the game. I even said that it's plausible that their active player numbers have passed WoW at times. (Depending on the patch cycles and whatnot.)

And there's no such thing as "devils advocate for WoW" it's just another game, for fucks sake. It's not a political party or philosophy, I don't need to build some kind of rhetorical fortress for it. Get some perspective here.

The problem is that you can't have a simple discussion without becoming so defensive about the game that you literally don't even remember what the other person said in the discussion.
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2022-08-05 at 06:43 PM.

Imagine being able to unsub and be fine with everything except housing and you equate it to the massive way in which you'll fall behind if you don't diligently grind whatever resource is primary to that given patch for a week just because CBIII won't allow a person to keep a limited and scarce thing that other players might want more while the former isn't actively playing.

Holy mother of disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Imagine being able to unsub and be fine with everything except housing and you equate it to the massive way in which you'll fall behind if you don't play WoW for a week just because CBIII won't allow a person to keep a limited and scarce thing that other players might want more while the former isn't actively playing.

It's the only thing that you can possibly "lose" within the context of the discussion. That's all that was being talked about. I don't know why people keep coming in and making a bigger deal out of it than it was. Believe it or not, most of us aren't interested in trying to start another religious war over this shit.

Also, "massive way in which you'll fall behind if you don't play WoW for a week"? Talk about disingenuous.

- - - Updated - - -

(Psst, don't look @Ghost of Cow, it has a clickbait thumbnail, it must be fake!)
    Maybe, but at least I don't mind Xeno so much!
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2022-08-05 at 06:49 PM.

It's the only thing that you can possibly "lose" within the context of the discussion. That's all that was being talked about. I don't know why people keep coming in and making a bigger deal out of it than it was.
    Which means it's barely relevant compared to the way the competitor keeps you on a treadmill.
    Also, "massive way in which you'll fall behind if you don't play WoW for a week"? Talk about disingenuous.
    Tell me how well you'll keep up with endgame content if you don't fill your weekly vault, if you don't farm your Soul Cinders for your legendaries as much as possible, if you don't have whatever new resource Zereth Mortis introduced for tier gear.

"B-b-b-but right now it's ok!!"

Yeah, during the death throes of an expansion, Blizzard sees fit to loosen the leash on you (as they do at the end of every expansion) and now you're pretending like that is the norm.

Tell me how well you'll keep up with endgame content if you don't fill your weekly vault, if you don't farm your Soul Cinders for your legendaries as much as possible, if you don't have whatever new resource Zereth Mortis introduced for tier gear.

"B-b-b-but right now it's ok!!"

Yeah, during the death throes of an expansion, Blizzard sees fit to loosen the leash on you (as they do at the end of every expansion) and now you're pretending like that is the norm.
    I mean, it was worse before the recent changes, sure. I even said earlier that sometimes I think WoW overdoes it with the start of an expansion. Maybe out of some fear that people will "finish" too quick or something.

But it was never THAT bad. You don't just suddenly turn into a leper if you don't play WoW 24/7. People keep talking as if world first guild playstyles are somehow the norm in these discussions and it's simply not the case for the overwhelming majority of players.

if you don't have whatever new resource Zereth Mortis introduced for tier gear.
    It's the, um...flux or whatever. It's not much to deal with, I had full 4pc on my freshly leveled Priest almost right away without touching a raid. I did do a lot of M+, at any rate.
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2022-08-05 at 06:56 PM.

I mean, it was worse before the recent changes, sure. I even said earlier that sometimes I think WoW overdoes it with the start of an expansion. Maybe out of some fear that people will "finish" too quick or something.

But it was never THAT bad. You don't just suddenly turn into a leper if you don't play WoW 24/7. People keep talking as if world first guild playstyles are somehow the norm in these discussions and it's simply not the case for the overwhelming majority of players.
    It's not at the start of an expansion, it's all throughout until the lull between the last patch and the next expansion, when they pretend to have learned from their mistakes and make some token changes (that people have been asking for since the beta) to lure people back in.

Each patch adds one or more new currencies to grind out, each patch ups the ilvl and shoos you off back to the m+/weekly vault RNG party.

If you want to keep up, you do need to grind. These are the facts.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, that's what you WANT to see because you're so goddamned defensive about it.
    You're the one talking about WoW vs FF, not me. Again, maybe you should think about why that is.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine being able to unsub and be fine with everything except housing and you equate it to the massive way in which you'll fall behind if you don't diligently grind whatever resource is primary to that given patch for a week just because CBIII won't allow a person to keep a limited and scarce thing that other players might want more while the former isn't actively playing.

I know man, it's crazy how some people can think like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but at least I don't mind Xeno so much!
    Your irrational dislike of Bellular doesn't make the information any less correct, lmao.

I realize the WoW Andies got SUUUUUUUUUPER upset at Bellular because he was covering WoW's death throes, claiming he was only doing it to profiteer off the hate. Meanwhile half of his videos at the time were praising WoW for things they did right. As Asmongold said, people have attached their entire identity to a single game, and when someone reports negative coverage of that game, those people feel personally attacked. It's the one reason Bellular gets hate. Again, this says a lot about how much you "don't care".
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2022-08-05 at 07:06 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You're the one talking about WoW vs FF, not me. Again, maybe you should think about why that is.
    I mean, all I did was reply to your post where you said things like "devils advocate for WoW". If you want to find a quote from me anywhere in this discussion where I say "XIV sux WoW rox" or something, be my guest.

You won't, of course. Shit, most of my comments in this thread have been praising XIV, and it's really fucking stupid that I have to point that out constantly. It's like the damn inquisition in here, making people constantly deny that they're heretics or something.

I don't know what you want from me, it seems like you're just looking for a fight about literally everything. You're not even really arguing anything at this point.

I know man, it's crazy how some people can think like that.
    I'm not even a fan of it myself. It sucks, and I wish getting a house was as easy as saying "ok I got the gil, gimme that plot," but I also understand why it is. Until we get unlimited instanced housing, this is just the reality. Current housing is scarce. Do people here really expect YoshiP to say "ok, so your house never gets demolished no matter how long you've not done anything with it, all the players who don't currently have one can get fucked until the next time we add some new wards."

Seems like people here are just using one thing XIV hasn't made a perfect solution for to try and defend WoW while WoW has several intentional treadmill systems built into its core gameplay loop to keep you subbed.

Your irrational dislike of Bellular doesn't make the information any less correct, lmao.
    I never said it did. I said a youtube video isn't a source for sub numbers because the companies don't release them.

Again, what's the argument here? What do you want from me with your incessant needling and badgering?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not even a fan of it myself. It sucks, and I wish getting a house was as easy as saying "ok I got the gil, gimme that plot," but I also understand why it is. Until we get unlimited instanced housing, this is just the reality. Current housing is scarce. Do people here really expect YoshiP to say "ok, so your house never gets demolished no matter how long you've not done anything with it, all the players who don't currently have one can get fucked until the next time we add some new wards."

Seems like people here are just using one thing XIV hasn't made a perfect solution for to try and defend WoW while WoW has several intentional treadmill systems built into its core gameplay loop to keep you subbed.
    No one said any of that.

Seriously, what the fuck is happening here.

No one said housing should exist forever if you're inactive. No one used that to "defend WoW". None of this ever happened.

The question was simply about taking a break from the game and whether you could lose something. Housing fits that bill. Yes, there's a GOOD REASON WHY IT'S THAT WAY AND NO ONE DISAGREES WITH THAT REASON.

I don't know why I need to hammer this shit in just because some of you act like any discussion is somehow an offense against the church, for fucks sake.

No one said any of that.

Seriously, what the fuck is happening here.

No one said housing should exist forever if you're inactive. No one used that to "defend WoW". None of this ever happened.

The question was simply about taking a break from the game and whether you could lose something. Housing fits that bill. Yes, there's a GOOD REASON WHY IT'S THAT WAY AND NO ONE DISAGREES WITH THAT REASON.

I don't know why I need to hammer this shit in just because some of you act like any discussion is somehow an offense against the church, for fucks sake.
    I can read. I can see the broader lines of the discussion.

It was made about WoW vs FFXIV, and because the fact that FFXIV has fewer things locking a person into a sub was praised, some whataboutism about housing got thrown into the mix. It's not about who did it, just that it happened. It's an absolutely crudely dishonest argument to make, whomever makes it.

15+ Year Old Account

Oh yeah, I was playing FFXIV back in ARR and Heavensward. I couldn't get a house EVER because nobody was ever vacating housing plots, and none of them were being demolished. When housing demolition came along in HW, 2/3 of all houses suddenly became available. It's not an ideal feature, but it's one of the best solutions given the housing system as it exists. And as stated, you don't have to "play" FFXIV to keep your house. You have to log in once every 44 days to refresh it. During that time I was playing so many other games and barely thought about FFXIV other than when my alarm told me it was time to log in and refresh the houses.

So as stated, if you want to stop playing FFXIV, you can, and you won't miss out on any content. There's no FOMO that you're missing that day's rewards, or that week's rewards. Every single thing will be there for you when you return to the game. Content is not made irrelevant, just easier. And if you want to own a house, you go into the system knowing you'll need to refresh it. It's not a core feature, nor does not owning a house lock you out of the thousands of hours of content that the rest of the game offers.

This is not an indictment of any other game specifically. These are merely statements about FFXIV as a game. So it's probably best if certain other people stop comparing FFXIV to WoW before the mods come in hmm?

- - - Updated - - -

So anyway, before the topic got railroaded into a game vs game discussion, FFXIV numbers are up, way up, and doing better than ever, and every new expansion is a new high in sub numbers. Great news. I just want to celebrate the game being popular without others coming in to put it down by comparing it to something else.

Also, people are cheating far more than ever because there's more people to show off to. The dark side of a game being popular. I think it's really sad that there are Dragonsong Ultimate cheats as well as PvP cheats. Yes, there are PvP cheats too. Cheats that will automatically cast the machinist LB if someone reaches a certain health threshhold. Cheats that auto target people below a certain HP threshhold (say 20%). Cheats that make you stop targeting samurai when it would give you the debuff that would allow them to one shot you with LB if you kept attacking them. Cheats that auto cast polymorph when someone is using their LB, effectively draining their LB gauge and making it not go off.

There's pretty rampant cheating in PvP right now, and Yoshi P has issued severe warnings about cheating, hinting that they may take more severe measures if it doesn't stop. I really hope we don't have to get an anti cheat, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did put one in, given how rampant it is.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-08-06 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Removed moderator color

Oh yeah, I was playing FFXIV back in ARR and Heavensward. I couldn't get a house EVER because nobody was ever vacating housing plots, and none of them were being demolished. When housing demolition came along in HW, 2/3 of all houses suddenly became available. It's not an ideal feature, but it's one of the best solutions given the housing system as it exists. And as stated, you don't have to "play" FFXIV to keep your house. You have to log in once every 44 days to refresh it. During that time I was playing so many other games and barely thought about FFXIV other than when my alarm told me it was time to log in and refresh the houses.

So as stated, if you want to stop playing FFXIV, you can, and you won't miss out on any content. There's no FOMO that you're missing that day's rewards, or that week's rewards. Every single thing will be there for you when you return to the game. Content is not made irrelevant, just easier. And if you want to own a house, you go into the system knowing you'll need to refresh it. It's not a core feature, nor does not owning a house lock you out of the thousands of hours of content that the rest of the game offers.

This is not an indictment of any other game specifically. These are merely statements about FFXIV as a game. So it's probably best if certain other people stop comparing FFXIV to WoW before the mods come in hmm?
    To keep it brief and kind of segue away from the pit it got lodged into, I hope YoshiP and team takes note of what the community really wants out of Island Sanctuaries and considers weaving a private housing element into it. You know, assuming the island has no instance timer.

I don't expect it for 6.2. Hell, I don't even expect it for 6.3, but they've already claimed that they intend to iterate and evolve the feature, and I hope that is one of the things they'll do. Housing is a side-feature, sure. But it's still pretty heavily marketed and has a lot of appeal for plenty of groups--being fucked out of it because of scarcity will always feel jarring. The wards can stay, of course, but give players that cannot get houses there an option beyond "lol get an apartment or hope the lottery spews out a winning result for you in the next half a decade"
    Last edited by Aucald; 2022-08-06 at 02:38 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    To keep it brief and kind of segue away from the pit it got lodged into, I hope YoshiP and team takes note of what the community really wants out of Island Sanctuaries and considers weaving a private housing element into it. You know, assuming the island has no instance timer.

I don't expect it for 6.2. Hell, I don't even expect it for 6.3, but they've already claimed that they intend to iterate and evolve the feature, and I hope that is one of the things they'll do. Housing is a side-feature, sure. But it's still pretty heavily marketed and has a lot of appeal for plenty of groups--being fucked out of it because of scarcity will always feel jarring. The wards can stay, of course, but give players that cannot get houses there an option beyond "lol get an apartment or hope the lottery spews out a winning result for you in the next half a decade"
    I do think Island Sanctuaries are going to be a great alternative to the player housing problem, but I also don't see it really fixing people's desires for housing either. Even though most people who want a house almost never use it (go into any ward and look around at all the houses, over half of them are under decorated, having a few token pieces of furniture, or not decorated at all) people still want them as some sort of status symbol.

One reason I ended up with several large plots is I am a long time player, and I got to know a lot of people like me who are huge gil makers. They know I'm someone who will never let my houses fall down, and many of them gave their houses to my characters, while they remained tenants. They come back every new patch to raid and make a ton of money, then take another break.

This is another simple work-around on the housing demolition issue. It's very roundabout and requires someone to deeply trust, but it's really not that hard to find trustworthy people in this game. At least not for me. Maybe I'm the exception. I'm willing to consider that possibility.

I do think Island Sanctuaries are going to be a great alternative to the player housing problem, but I also don't see it really fixing people's desires for housing either. Even though most people who want a house almost never use it (go into any ward and look around at all the houses, over half of them are under decorated, having a few token pieces of furniture, or not decorated at all) people still want them as some sort of status symbol.

One reason I ended up with several large plots is I am a long time player, and I got to know a lot of people like me who are huge gil makers. They know I'm someone who will never let my houses fall down, and many of them gave their houses to my characters, while they remained tenants. They come back every new patch to raid and make a ton of money, then take another break.

This is another simple work-around on the housing demolition issue. It's very roundabout and requires someone to deeply trust, but it's really not that hard to find trustworthy people in this game. At least not for me. Maybe I'm the exception. I'm willing to consider that possibility.
    I can only speak for myself, of course, but I think this also applies to a big portion of the XIV housing community.

If Island Sanctuaries had a decently sized (larger than a small house or apartment) place with an interior decorating system, that would probably go a long way to please a lot of people.

(It's also kind of a pisstake that almost every ingame event rewards housing items, often even outdoor housing items)