10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    after the next maintenance they will be able to kick AFK-ers?
    Nope, an AFK kick-timer is low priority. They are focusing entirely on adding new servers and increasing capacity on existing servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    Or you could just play both.

The games are in different realms in my mind and one is not a replacement for the other. If you like WoW for the game in its entirety than there really is no reason to try another game.

However, I only play WoW for raiding normal and heroic modes with my guild, because frankly no game can touch the raiding experience that WoW offers, all the other aspects of the game are extremely old to me from playing it for 8 years or whatever.

FF14 is actually fun leveling through the game, the dungeons are a decent challenge you can discern between roles and player skill, the crafting/gathering system is truly awesome and an entire line of content itself.

The server issues are terrible and hopefully will be addressed. I have told a few friends to hold off on buying until they resolve these issues. For 30 bucks the game is a no brainer if you ever enjoyed a FF game with 30 free days (once youre able to login consistently) you get a ton of content.

I expect the servers will ease up once 5.4 hits as all the fotm folks (who are probably perma logged in as well) will go running to do the new WoW content and maybe the Barrens chat-ness will go away from the FF14 popular zones as it has gotten bad as of late.
    I play both. But if it keeps like this...it will make no sense payign for a game that "doesn't work" while i have another one that works flawlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickyz View Post
    I play both. But if it keeps like this...it will make no sense payign for a game that "doesn't work" while i have another one that works flawlessly.
    Not to be a bitch, but I've never had a WoW expansion release run flawlessly. It's silly to compare the two so early.

Thanks for being part of the problem.
    Don't blame him, blame the developers for failing to implement its counter. People wouldn't do it if they didn't feel it was necessary to avoid wasting so much time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Not to be a bitch, but I've never had a WoW expansion release run flawlessly. It's silly to compare the two so early.
    To be fair , they were pretty close with Cataclysm and MoP, other than the server queues on high population servers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    To be fair , they were pretty close with Cataclysm and MoP, other than the server queues on high population servers.
    i wouldn't mind having a huge queue...i would gladly wait.

It's the whole "Try later" thing that annoys me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    We had two very different experiences. In Cataclysm my entire group was getting massive lag spikes, we're talking 5-10s ability delay.

In MoP, we were stuck on the first damn quest (where you board a vehicle and bomb the shit out of the Horde) for hours, because of the lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    We had two very different experiences. In Cataclysm my entire group was getting massive lag spikes, we're talking 5-10s ability delay.

In MoP, we were stuck on the first damn quest (where you board a vehicle and bomb the shit out of the Horde) for hours, because of the lag.
    I had issues in the midnight hours for a little bit but only because there was SO MANY BLOODY PEOPLE. Otherwise my experience was great. Even in Cata.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I wouldn't compare a WoW expansion to FF XIV in terms of release smoothness.

With WoW expansions, you have pre-orders and subscriber numbers as well as the stress the servers have supported at their height preparing Blizzard to implement functions, etc. You have 9 years of experience with their game and their servers, what to expect, and how to react.

Square is releasing an essentially brand new MMO which was expected to have to prove itself after the black eye from 1.0 release and is also dealing with unprecedented concurrent connections higher than open beta. Historically, open beta generally sees more activity than launch for MMOs. 350,000 people logging in simultaneously on release day is pretty impressive.

I had my first stumble of having to "try again later" last night. I just shut down ARR and did something else for the evening. Launch woes are not something that phase me. Every MMO has launch woes, sometimes major. WoW had launch woes, they had patch woes, they've gotten their act together and are smooth now. SWTOR had launch woes, even GW2 wasn't a perfect experience across the board.

Hell, ONE YEAR after release, Guild Wars 2 is boasting 460K peak concurrent connections (400K concurrent was reported at launch I think). That's 110,000 more than Final Fantasy's first week numbers (50,000 more at launch). But Guild Wars 2 was highly anticipated and was the "next big thing" when it was building up to release. It's quite another when Square was expecting to have to win back some trust after 1.0 sent players running.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-09-03 at 04:41 PM.

Deleted
    Please do not interpret me wrong. I was not comparing wow to FF14...i was just saying if i'm paying for 2 services and 1 of them is not letting me use it...i'll stop paying for it and stick with the other.

They just happen to be in the same category (gaming), that's why i mentioned both.

I know it's early on the game's life etc, but the fact is that i can't play without screwing someone else (by staying logged in all night so i can play in the morning or evening), and i refuse to do that.

Please do not interpret me wrong. I was not comparing wow to FF14...i was just saying if i'm paying for 2 services and 1 of them is not letting me use it...i'll stop paying for it and stick with the other.

They just happen to be in the same category (gaming), that's why i mentioned both.

I know it's early on the game's life etc, but the fact is that i can't play without screwing someone else (by staying logged in all night so i can play in the morning or evening), and i refuse to do that.
    My post wasn't intended to you specifically; just in general as I was starting to see some "WoW expansion launch" memories starting to be mentioned.

To be fair, you aren't paying for XIV at least and they've already suggested they might be extending the free period due to the issues.

I'm just waiting for it to smooth out and I'll start playing then. If I can log in and play, I will. If I have to "try again later" I won't worry about it until the next day. I'm happy to wait a while and hopefully get onto Gilgamesh as a RP server when everything is smoothed out and stable.

10+ Year Old Account
    i wouldn't mind having a huge queue...i would gladly wait.

It's the whole "Try later" thing that annoys me.
    I managed to play 5 hours today, making a character on the Phoenix server. But only because i logged in the game early. I tried now just to test before heading to work and was getting bombarded with a 1017 error or whatever the number was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit level 11 today, really enjoying it when I can play.

You're not paying for anything for another ~37 days or something. the days you haven't been able to play re being given to you for free on top of the 30 days that came with the purchase.

If the server issues continue much longer than this week it would be a huge hit for SE, it has already been bad but alot of people are cutting them slack, for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    So any specific server you guys can recommend for EU, when we finally get in?

Thinking mostly if anyone have noticed any server being a tad more "active" then others or if there is an MMO-CHampion guild somewhere?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    You're not paying for anything *snip* 30 days that came with the purchase.
    Conflicting statements in the same paragraph. You certainly did pay for something, as you even stated yourself. Whether you like it or not, a month's sub was part of the box price deal. Otherwise it would have been paying for the box + additional fees for the first month. Don't criticize someone who is factually correct about their purchase and simply want what they paid for.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I had my first stumble of having to "try again later" last night. I just shut down ARR and did something else for the evening. Launch woes are not something that phase me.
    That is the problem alot of people can't do this and that is when the anger starts to set in.

I can personally admit to it since the game (and its crafting) have hooked me pretty bad. My internet flickered and I dc'd this weekend and spammed login for a solid 20 minutes trying to get back in like a damned crack head trying to get a fix.

I eventually gave up and walked away angry but went and mowed the lawn and wasn't upset once my mind was on something else.

So I understand the fury of those who can't get in, but some go way way over the top crying about it on message boards like a child who didn't get a toy at the store. That behavior is pretty sad to see and is becoming more prevalent as each new MMO releases.

10+ Year Old Account
    how does the Attribute point allocation between jobs work? For example If I am a Paladin, I will have all the points in Vit (example). What will happen to the Attribute points when I equip the Bard job item?

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Conflicting statements in the same paragraph. You certainly did pay for something, as you even stated yourself. Whether you like it or not, a month's sub was part of the box price deal. Otherwise it would have been paying for the box + additional fees for the first month. Don't criticize someone who is factually correct about their purchase and simply want what they paid for.
    His statement was in reference to paying for a sub and cancelling a sub. It had nothing to do with the box purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    how does the Attribute point allocation between jobs work? For example If I am a Paladin, I will have all the points in Vit (example). What will happen to the Attribute points when I equip the Bard job item?
    Attributes are based entirely on your main class. So, for example, the main class for both Summoner and Scholar is Arcanist. So the attributes you choose for Arcanist will be tied to both Summoner and Scholar.

Since Paladin and Bard both have different main classes (Gladiator and Archer) you will allocate points for them separately.

Remember that essentially a job is just an item that you equip, not a separate class that you level.