Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I have a decent built ala 2013 or so. I emulated the entire dot hack gu series flawlessly except for slightly odd sound filters. Like almost correct, but just off. not enough to spoil the game at all. I agree it's not the level of OEM performance, but if I can emulate ps2 games almost scot free. I regret selling my copies

PSX/super nintendo, sega etc. all emulate flawlessly and identically to OEM.
    Its those little things that annoys me. I remember trying to play Xenosaga 1 and the could not get over how the text was slightly misaligned in the text box. I'm very picky. Heck if I see z-fighting in a game I literally just close it right away. It was hell trying to complete Skyrim... goddamn mountains.

See: there's your proof that I never died much.
    Yeah the main story missions are incredibly easy though I still have fun with some of them. The only time I died was also really early. I believe it was a 20-30 main story mission? It was the one were you fought alongside Thancred in an area that had a tiny water stream. The thing you had to do was use an antidote potion to get rid of the deadly poison.

On the other hand I have a friend that's probably died on half of them... not sure how.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Paladin ... die ... surely you jest. :P
    Even puny quest mobs whittle your HP down eventually. ._.

Bah. I just need to get a shaft this week and next week from Midas and then I'll be able to complete the 'Garlean' set I have in mind for my character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin ... die ... surely you jest. :P

Seriously though, I have gotten 5 stacks (the max) on some of the MSQs instances because either I didn't pay attention to the instructions or my internet decided it hates me and giving my high latency.
    Strongarming the 15 THM quest...never thought to sleep them till a friend suggested it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Its those little things that annoys me. I remember trying to play Xenosaga 1 and the could not get over how the text was slightly misaligned in the text box. I'm very picky. Heck if I see z-fighting in a game I literally just close it right away. It was hell trying to complete Skyrim... goddamn mountains.

Yeah the main story missions are incredibly easy though I still have fun with some of them. The only time I died was also really early. I believe it was a 20-30 main story mission? It was the one were you fought alongside Thancred in an area that had a tiny water stream. The thing you had to do was use an antidote potion to get rid of the deadly poison.

On the other hand I have a friend that's probably died on half of them... not sure how.
    Who you fight with varies abd sucks they nerfed it from beta..in beta no antidote guaranteed death. In live you about the antidote if good enough

Yeah the beta is where I had that happen... I remember it was on the PS3 because I could only get beta keys for that version -_-.

Step out of telegraphs AND adjust his loadout (gear, potions, ... etc.) - gear can even provide new spells and potions various effects.

To be frank, if mobs don't have an ultra-strong unavoidable auto attack ... there is no need for a tank.

Won't be surprised if combat is primarily around knowing when and what to attack, and when to retreat and recover (and rebuff + what buffs to use).

Not as hardcore as that but you get the idea.
    Do you have a source for that? Nothing I have read indicates gear will give abilities. Most classes have pretty bad ability bloat as it is and I would not even -want- any more abilities on anything. Yes, they have said you will get gear exclusive to there, but that is likely so that you can get savage equivalent gear.

The simple fact of the matter is, I have a source saying companions are getting a gambit system -and- they are considering adding even more NPCs so that you can solo dungeons and stuff. Seems pretty clear that is what the plan is, seeing as Yoshida himself said it at PAX East a little over a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO SE has already kind of been toying with the idea.

Some MSQ with instanced fights can be quite tough - don't tell me you haven't died and had to rely on the Echo to clear at least a few of them.

Not as intense as Bloodborne of course but it can still be entertaining as you look for opening where it's safe to cast / move in for an attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can just make the AoE not as far reaching/wide such that players can realistically get the fuck out of the way.
    Nope, sure didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Eh, most emulators are considered near-identical to the actual hardware nowadays. (At least if we're talking about NES/SNES and such)

At the very least, it's close enough for speedrunning recordkeeping to not bother distinguishing between the two in almost all situations.
    Not really. Megaman X1 for example is slower on emulator due to some fault rendering at 59.96FPS as opposed to 60FPS, yeah it's weird but it's actually slower. Megaman X2/3 on the other hand, emulator is faster due to lag. It's about 18s...? I think faster, something along that line. Super Metroid is extremely specific in which emulator and what setting is used to get the closest to console, but even then it's not the same. PAL is also a no no due to the Hz/FPS difference.
    As a general rule, emulators have been a big no no for a long time in speed running.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2016-04-27 at 03:56 AM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Even puny quest mobs whittle your HP down eventually. ._.
    Reminds me of that time I saw a PLD Lv 60 or so in North Shroud being attacked by a spriggan while he AFKed, the mob did no lasting damage as his HP regen outpaced the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Strongarming the 15 THM quest...never thought to sleep them till a friend suggested it lol
    Happened to me on one of the BLM quests. 6 mobs spawn in at a time in waves. Died a few times even with the NPC healing me ... until I suddenly remember I had Sleep and it's AOE ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Do you have a source for that? Nothing I have read indicates gear will give abilities. Most classes have pretty bad ability bloat as it is and I would not even -want- any more abilities on anything. Yes, they have said you will get gear exclusive to there, but that is likely so that you can get savage equivalent gear.

The simple fact of the matter is, I have a source saying companions are getting a gambit system -and- they are considering adding even more NPCs so that you can solo dungeons and stuff. Seems pretty clear that is what the plan is, seeing as Yoshida himself said it at PAX East a little over a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, sure didn't.
    Can't say for certain if they will add abilities or just buffs of some kind. But you do "enhance strength via 'items' " in DD,

Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I do hope that the rewards are worthwhile - ideally some form of elaborate glamour as well as minions and mounts.

I like the idea that the palace can be "up to 4" not "requires 4". I usually just play with my sister, so content that we can duo is something we value very highly.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really digging Palace of the Dead! Can't way to play it and record my solo sessions in it.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Deleted
    Τo those complaining about the challenge and solo ability of palace of the Dead. I cannot guarantee that it will be hard but do remember that they are planning to release new GC ranks around 3.35-3.4 which also means the platoon feature that they were talking about where you ll be able to bring mercenaries from your GC and command them.
    They could go as far as to let you bring them in palace of the dead or let them have their specific dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooo goddamn slooow ... >.<

47/80.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Not really. Megaman X1 for example is slower on emulator due to some fault rendering at 59.96FPS as opposed to 60FPS, yeah it's weird but it's actually slower. Megaman X2/3 on the other hand, emulator is faster due to lag. It's about 18s...? I think faster, something along that line. Super Metroid is extremely specific in which emulator and what setting is used to get the closest to console, but even then it's not the same. PAL is also a no no due to the Hz/FPS difference.
    As a general rule, emulators have been a big no no for a long time in speed running.
    And that's just older consoles. When you start emulating PS1/2, each game requires specific settings that must be changed every time you switch games.

Don't get me wrong, it's all doable and the game are certainly playable, it's just more of a pain than people make it out to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get me wrong, it's all doable and the game are certainly playable, it's just more of a pain than people make it out to be.
    Sure some games are finnicky. And some games like Grandia II never run w/o bugs.

But it certainly beats buying the console due to exclusivity bull.

Sure some games are finnicky. And some games like Grandia II never run w/o bugs.

Oh yeah, I emulate stuff all the time. Far easier than digging through boxes to find the right console, the right cords, hooking it up to my TV then looking for the game I want to play. Just saying, it's not as easy as some make it out to be. I mean sure, it's easy for me, but not for many of my friends.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And that's just older consoles. When you start emulating PS1/2, each game requires specific settings that must be changed every time you switch games.

i.e. They are pretty much full of hacks - game specific hacks.

From the looks of things, there is no easy solution.

Faithful to hardware accurate emulation is very expensive - even the SNES is not fully emulated; would need a 10GHz CPU for that and single core performance has hit a brick wall.

Game specific hacks ... poor man's version of "porting the game".

Perhaps if games were written in some kind of ultra high level language that clearly defines it's behavior - e.g. how input is tracked (polling or interrupt, acceptable input processing latency ... etc.), the exact timing of every display update; basically clear declarations of when and what piece of data must be available.

Or perhaps written to some generalized virtual machine ...

Quite sure it's possible, it's just that the games will look like trash due to inefficiency. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, I emulate stuff all the time. Far easier than digging through boxes to find the right console, the right cords, hooking it up to my TV then looking for the game I want to play. Just saying, it's not as easy as some make it out to be. I mean sure, it's easy for me, but not for many of my friends.
    With die shrinks over the decades, I wonder how costly it would be to squeeze every console from pre-PS3/360 onto a single chip or a few chips - i.e. system on chip; assuming it's even possible to emulate the timing of those old chips using modern chips produced using current fab tech.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Step out of telegraphs AND adjust his loadout (gear, potions, ... etc.) - gear can even provide new spells and potions various effects.

To be frank, if mobs don't have an ultra-strong unavoidable auto attack ... there is no need for a tank.

Won't be surprised if combat is primarily around knowing when and what to attack, and when to retreat and recover (and rebuff + what buffs to use).

Not as hardcore as that but you get the idea.
    At work, so I can't see the video, based on some comments I am assuming it's Bloodborne. Let's discuss based on your premise if "knowing when and what to attack". How exactly would that work? What would it look like? Retreating is valid, but how do you retreat when you're alone? Wouldn't the mob just follow you and interrupt your recuperation?

Rebuff? What abilities need to rebuffed? What buffs are actually meaningful in combat? I can't think of any situation where what you (or SQEX) is proposing that is both engaging and rewarding from a gameplay perspective. As I mentioned the combat engine in this game is not tuned for in-depth solo combat.

Not as intense as Bloodborne of course but it can still be entertaining as you look for opening where it's safe to cast / move in for an attack.
    Kinda covered above. That makes sense, but I just don't understand HOW you would implement that type of encounter in this combat engine?

Not wipe for hours on end challenge but you have died / fail a few encounters a few times no?
    I had issues with one of the PLD quests. Not sure which one. It was near the bridge. There was a mechanic I was missing, that I EVENTUALLY figured out. I had no issues failing. Made me a better player.

Mmh.. okay.

See: there's your proof that I never died much.

I had the most trouble with Paladin class quests. If your gear is not up to snuff, these can be quite brutal.
    Yep same here. I never upgraded gear lol. That was the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    What's up homey, you can borrow my copies of XS1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Τo those complaining about the challenge and solo ability of palace of the Dead. I cannot guarantee that it will be hard but do remember that they are planning to release new GC ranks around 3.35-3.4 which also means the platoon feature that they were talking about where you ll be able to bring mercenaries from your GC and command them.
    They could go as far as to let you bring them in palace of the dead or let them have their specific dungeons.
    I'll lump this is in with the companion gambit system people have been speculating about. It's a cool idea (i've even proposed that WoW Garrison missions should have been like this: I.e. pick followers you need go out into world complete quest for their abilities (dispel/raid cooldown, DPS cooldown, heals, tank, etc.) however, the thing that I am most worried about is as soon as you need a group of NPCs automating combat for you, that removes fun from the game. I'd rather do it with real people at that point.

When I think of the deep dungeon I envision something like Mushins Tower in BNS. Trying to kill the forms of Mushin was an absolute blast that pushed me to get better at the game and understand all my abilities.

Haha, the real reason you an't emulate Grandia 2 very well is because that game in its OEM format is as buggy as my backyard. (hint. my backyard has a lot of bugs).

I do love that game. Adored Millenia and the combat. WTB next gen Grandia game.

Not slamming a hammer down or anything, but a gentle nudge reminder that emulators are a bit off topic for the thread.

I considered the previous Final Fantasy games, their music, etc. loosely on topic since Square still touches them for FFXIV all the time, but let's not delve too far into emulator talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You're just emulating a moderator!
    I just want you kids to think I'm cool.