Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Because FFXIV can use the same mechanics - in the most general sense.

This is already kind of a thing in regular dungeons, many DPS classes have "empowered" windows for attacking (e.g. Deathwyrm stance, Raging Strikes ...) and you normally do your best to line it up with the gaps in a bosses attack pattern where the boss is open to attack and your wind ups (i.e. casting) aren't going to get interrupted - the worst is when you have all CDs and buffs up and the boss "vanishes" and become untargetable ... @#$%
    That's a real stretch there. Why do you keep wanting to make this game more like an action game? There are already other games out there like this. Recently I decided to give Devilian a try and it seems to be more like what you are looking for in a game. It's basically an ARPG(Diablo 3, Path of Exile) mixed with an MMORPG. It plays like an ARPG, but is in a persistent world like an MMORPG. It's actually pretty fun so far.

Fun fact, the game with the best turn based combat I've ever played is the Mana Khemia series (1 and 2). I actually wanted to fight and power up my characters because not only did they have an excellent combat system, but your animations and skills actually changed and got stronger and more graphically intense as you grew stronger.
    Will definitely need to check these out.

Also, @SodiumChloride ;honest question. Why do you play this game? Every time I come into a FFXIV thread you're a part of, it seems like you're just trying to turn it into something else. If they could just change this or add that, do this instead of that, remove this, I don't like that, this other game does this better, etc...

I admit, there are some things I don't like about FFXIV, and some things I would change if I had a say... however I accept that I'm not the only one playing, that SE knows what they're doing, and trust them to do what they think is best. SE does not have a history of making big changes because of player feedback, small ones here and there sure, but nothing game changing really.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Also, @SodiumChloride ;honest question. Why do you play this game? Every time I come into a FFXIV thread you're a part of, it seems like you're just trying to turn it into something else. If they could just change this or add that, do this instead of that, remove this, I don't like that, this other game does this better, etc...
    I know right? It's like he wants to make all games just like all other games. Games are different for a reason. If you like a game, play that game, don't try to make other games that have their own identity that different people enjoy be like those other games. If you like a game, play it. If you don't like a game, don't play it. Pretty simple concept really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Your 3rd paragraph more or less invalidates your 2nd. Wouldn't your decision be based on the mobs cast time? Aren't you assuming every mob has the same cast time for all their casted attacks?
    UI delay, server delay + the time I need to move my butt out of there = the point becomes moot.
    Hint: taking avoidable damage is generally NOT a good idea, esp in a raid environment where you are often punished by getting vulnerability stacks.

It's quite rare that I am in a position where I can let the cast through AND have enough time to spare in order to get out of there.

Could they change the design? Sure. Could they give out levels of haste that actually make a difference (read 30% less cast time or more)? probably.
    Will they ever do that? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle
    Ah nice. I actually always saw your name and thought of Aeris' mother and Grandia 2.
    ^_^
    Last edited by Granyala; 2016-04-28 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Seriously are we even playing the same game?
    90% of all avoidable damage will interrupt your cast.

So if you just started a cast and the boss places a yellow circle under your butt, get out. If you continue your cast you will get the damage AND your cast will get interrupted.

Only time when you let a cast run through is if it is already > 75%. Let it run to 85 and start moving. Client lag will do the rest.
    @Kazela: yep was quite funny to run into the wall of "nope". Been so long since I did NR, I completely forgot about his bubble.
    I should continue that damn main quest already... still have the Antitower quest b/c I never continued once I unlocked expert. Too busy with other stuff. :X
    It's a matter of learning the latency and how much give it provides to allow shuffle stepping.

Antitower's pretty neat. The last boss is a nod to FF4 (and a bit creepy, depending on who you ask). Worth having it as part of the MSQ.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    It's a matter of learning the latency and how much give it provides to allow shuffle stepping.
    Yes I do it all the time on my WHM but BLMs casts are usually too long to take advantage of that.
    Either that or I just have shitty luck with placement timings.

Yes I do it all the time on my WHM but BLMs casts are usually too long to take advantage of that.
    Either that or I just have shitty luck with placement timings.
    It's a combination of practice and gear, specifically spell speed. Thinking back, I started noticing maintaining the rotation started becoming much easier as early as ilvl 180 gear (the old upgraded law gear). Nowadays I'm just rubbing my hands together in anticipation of more and more spell speed (I'm a whopping 211 ilvl currently, should jump a bit later today when I get 230 hat).

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    You're reaching PRETTY far on this one. If you're referring to attack windows as the "most general sense" I'd offer you that attack windows are ultimately irrelevant in a single monster vs. single character combat situation.

How would you retreat once your BURST CDs are done? You can't run from mobs. You have no way to defend or dodge or counter incoming damage.

Basically what you're saying is dodge telegraphs, use abilities, kill enemy. Honestly that's no different than killing a B rank hunt. Which is exactly what I stated in my OP would be the issue with this content.

Again see above, while the concept of attack window is in the game (and I agree it is), it's still irrelevant from a gameplay perspective because what exactly should you do once that phase is over? Run? Defend? Heal? Dodge Telegraphs?

Where exactly is the FUN?
    Why do you assume they will just recycle the mobs from the open world?

It's obvious if they want to make it challenging they will redesign the mobs - i.e. no auto attack that can't be dodged.

- - - Updated - - -

Could they change the design? Sure. Could they give out levels of haste that actually make a difference (read 30% less cast time or more)? probably.
    Will they ever do that? I doubt it.

^_^
    Then it's settled.

Just give the mobs long cast times and add recovery times.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it's settled.
    Just give the mobs long cast times and add recovery times.
    As I said: they won't change it. So while it might be a nice idea in theory (one would actually have to playtest to see if it is fun in practice) the discussion is rather moot.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    As I said: they won't change it. So while it might be a nice idea in theory (one would actually have to playtest to see if it is fun in practice) the discussion is rather moot.
    Why won't they have the mobs in DD with longer cast times and recovery times? (If it adds to the gameplay.)
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I'm working on getting DRK to 60 now. Ironically mostly so I can use the Ravana EX DRK sword since it looks really good. I also want the title 'Grandmaster of War' that you get after hitting level 60 on every DoW class/job.

We're supposedly getting some fresh information on 3.3 'today' (29th) so that should help stir up some excitement!

15+ Year Old Account
    So any thoughts on what this patch 3.3 reveal might bring?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I'm personally hoping for new info about the treasure dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    So any thoughts on what this patch 3.3 reveal might bring?
    They'll probably announce what the two new dungeons are. I suspect it'll be Hullbreaker (Hard) and either The Aery (Hard) or a completely new dungeon for facing off against Nidhogg for the final time.

I suspect they'll go into more detail in regards to this 'Palace of the Dead' and the 'Treasure Dungeons' that they've mentioned. They may also reveal the next 'Triad' fight and elaborate on what the next 'Void Ark' raid will be.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's another attraction announced for The Gold Saucer either.

Most of the minor stuff will likely be revealed in the patch trailer/patch notes closer to the time. They also tend to keep details of the MSQ's under wraps so I don't expect much to be shown in that department.

So long as it's bigger than 3.1 I'll be content.

Probably the Moogle beast tribe dailies they've hinted at too.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Probably the Moogle beast tribe dailies they've hinted at too.
    Man ... Haven't we done enough quests for the Moogles?

I'm quite looking forward to the Moogle stuff, especially given the neat mount that'll be rewarded for it. They're very 'Final Fantasy' so I was never bothered by their quests personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm quite looking forward to the Moogle stuff, especially given the neat mount that'll be rewarded for it. They're very 'Final Fantasy' so I was never bothered by their quests personally.
    I got sick of them for the same reason I got sick of most quests in the expansion, honestly: "Go do this thing that takes ten minutes, here's 2% of a level. Go spent 3 minutes finding someone new, spend another 10 minutes getting another 2% of a level. Don't worry about Mob exp, it's literally 1/10,000th of 1% of a level per kill."

The constantly gofering just made it a bit more obnoxious.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Yeah same. That mount looks awesome.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWindWalker View Post
    I got sick of them for the same reason I got sick of most quests in the expansion, honestly: "Go do this thing that takes ten minutes, here's 2% of a level. Go spent 3 minutes finding someone new, spend another 10 minutes getting another 2% of a level. Don't worry about Mob exp, it's literally 1/10,000th of 1% of a level per kill."

The constantly gofering just made it a bit more obnoxious.
    Most of the quests are OK - it's a MMO; what do you expect. The Moogle ones in the Churning Mist ... those were tedious.

I like the Moogles but it's too soon to bring them back IMHO with the memories of Churning Mist leveling still fresh.