Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If you use RL money to buy gil: yes.
    If you don't you will spend more time farming gil than you'll spend fishing for levels. Esp once you consider that you can essentially fish brain-afk while doing sth else.
    Fishing for exp and the fish you need for leves while turning in those leves is lower exp gained than farming expensive materials to sell and then buy fish and turn in leves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well i was about to watch spirits within

- - - Updated - - -

Right now a leve is moghome leves at 12 nodes for 173k xp, in sea of clouds 1 node gets me 1-4 spiders worth 77k each or higher right now. Thats a potential 308k xp PER node. 12 nodes in a leve for 173k or 12 nodes in the world for 924k-3.6mil xp in the roughly same amount of time and Botanist 59-60 is 3.8mil xp so thats almost an entire level farming 12-48 nodes in sea of clouds for collectibles or 22 leves where i farm 264 nodes. Granted even using the cooldowns of all 3 cordial types there is a little downtime you fill with normal node farming between them but the xp gain from collectibles is astronomically higher. Thus i can use those leves for the remaining dps classes that have nothing to do outside dungeons but fate spamming.

-plus i dont need to pick up the leves, do 2, return to town, collect reward, pick 2 more, go out and repeat 11 times for the same amount.
    I thought we were talking fishing? Ofcourse Botanist collectibles are faster. But fishing doesn't work the same way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Fishing for exp and the fish you need for leves while turning in those leves is lower exp gained than farming expensive materials to sell and then buy fish and turn in leves.
    That varies from server to server. One cannot make a generalized statement in that regard.
    On my server, fish was ridiculously expensive when I leveled, so sitting down and watching a bit of Star Trek while pressing 2 buttons was the most effective way, as I did not have to contend with any RNG (getting the fish you actually need).

Leveling fishing that way took maybe 1/3rd of the time I needed to level miner or botanist via leve spamming.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought we were talking fishing? Ofcourse Botanist collectibles are faster. But fishing doesn't work the same way.
    Yeah im on about botanist, hit 59, went out and got a quarter of a bag of spiders, went back to idyllshire and hit 60, fisher is still 40 and waaays off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    That varies from server to server. One cannot make a generalized statement in that regard.
    On my server, fish was ridiculously expensive when I leveled, so sitting down and watching a bit of Star Trek while pressing 2 buttons was the most effective way, as I did not have to contend with any RNG (getting the fish you actually need).

Leveling fishing that way took maybe 1/3rd of the time I needed to level miner or botanist via leve spamming.
    That and the cardinal rule of mmorpgs after "tanks keep the boss facing away from the party" is "never ever spend money on leveling"

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got Botanist 60 - so now I've both Miner and Botanist up, just need to get materials for Ironworks set and I'm all ready.

Welp I'm a dumbass. Bought myself the Mog Staff item on the store and didn't read and just found out it's a 1 hander so can't glamour it . Needs to be a 2 hander variant of it because back then I can understand it being a 1 hander but BLM doesn't really use them as glamour or even gear anymore except maybe low level.

Despite not being sure about it I caved in and got a house.

Still have to get some more stuff for it.

That and the cardinal rule of mmorpgs after "tanks keep the boss facing away from the party" is "never ever spend money on leveling"
    This is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. Most MMO's are designed in a way that any money you make while leveling can be made in a fraction of the time at max level. If it makes you lvl faster you should definitely spend money to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jofe View Post
    *snip*.
    Congrats!

I need to get those new bookshelves and update our FC house with them. MOAR BOOKS!

I like the outside of yours. Not too cluttered, but not empty.

Nice looking house. Check out this site for furnishings. http://en.ff14housing.com/

This is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. Most MMO's are designed in a way that any money you make while leveling can be made in a fraction of the time at max level. If it makes you lvl faster you should definitely spend money to do it.
    While I don't agree with the "don't spend money on leveling" mantra 100%, it's not exactly stupid in some regards. There's little point in buying gear as you level, with perhaps level 50 being the one exception, since you can get massive stat jump courtesy of crafted gear. I've seen lower level gear selling for as much as what some of the level 50+ stuff sells for off vendors in HW areas.

Leve turn ins can sometimes be bought for dirt cheap, though. Same with GC turn ins. I can't count the number of days I completed the FSH turn in for GC by catching whatever HQ fish is needed off the MB for no more than a handful of gil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I respectfully disagree.
    Time is a valuable commodity and one of the 2 currencies you have in any MMO.

Every item and action in an MMO costs [ingame currency] or/and time.

The point of leveling effectively is to minimize the sum of said cost. If it is faster to spend gil than to farm because you can farm gil at a faster rate than you could farm the item -> spend gil (yes that includes "on leveling").

Same logic applies to farmed mats people want to sell in the AH. Just because you didn't spend any gil, does NOT mean the item is "free". It still has exactly the same monetary value as if you were to sell it in the AH. So if you craft a product with it, calculate it's value appropriately. (You'd be surprised how many moron't do not get this)

Well, 2 ponies down, 4 to go...but I still need minimum 5 Soph Ex kills to get my weapon. Lately almost every group I've seen is a learning or clear group...which is on one hand, a good observation. Biggest turnoff to me with previous patches and their ex primals/trials was if you didn't get in a learning group within the first week or so, you could forget it..."farm, no bonus" all the way down PF list, heh.

Course, push comes to shove, I've run Soph Ex enough that I could just toss together my own farm group. I'm also thinking more of them will show up during the weekend, when people have more time to dedicate to kicking her butt over and over.

I'm gonna restart the game this week-end (probably on Cerberus EU) but I'm not sure what race to play.

I'm torn between staying with the same as my old char : Female Sea Wolf, or go Female Raen. I'll probably main Warrior at the beginning to speed queue times and even if all Female animations are the same with weapons (I think ?), I can't picture a Female Raen looking cool/good as a Warrior where the axe is as thick as your whole body (I'm also afraid of some clipping between my big horns and shoulders, gonna hide helmet in most cases).

Then again I'll probably play all classes later and Raen looks good with the others but so does Female Sea Wolf (imo) and it's probably the rarest combo (or could be Hellsguard) while Raen seems third to the two Miqo'te so you see them a lot.

What do ? Help please.

One more question too, on my old char (Fem Roe) when I swith pose in Dark Knight with my weapon drawn, she goes into a stance when she plants her sword into the ground but I saw screenshots with female having the male pose (Sword on shoulder). How can you do that (and can you do it with all jobs) ? Thanks
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2016-10-20 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Well, 2 ponies down, 4 to go...but I still need minimum 5 Soph Ex kills to get my weapon. Lately almost every group I've seen is a learning or clear group...which is on one hand, a good observation. Biggest turnoff to me with previous patches and their ex primals/trials was if you didn't get in a learning group within the first week or so, you could forget it..."farm, no bonus" all the way down PF list, heh.

Course, push comes to shove, I've run Soph Ex enough that I could just toss together my own farm group. I'm also thinking more of them will show up during the weekend, when people have more time to dedicate to kicking her butt over and over.
    A couple static mates and I tried Soph Ex in raid finder on an off night and had pretty good success there. And if you already cleared it, you can select that option as well, so you aren't in there with people trying to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    A couple static mates and I tried Soph Ex in raid finder on an off night and had pretty good success there. And if you already cleared it, you can select that option as well, so you aren't in there with people trying to learn it.
    I'm an idiot. I forgot all about Raid Finder. I've just combed PF for groups for it, as you could probably tell from my previous post.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    I'm gonna restart the game this week-end (probably on Cerberus EU) but I'm not sure what race to play.

I'm torn between staying with the same as my old char : Female Sea Wolf, or go Female Raen. I'll probably main Warrior at the beginning to speed queue times and even if all Female animations are the same with weapons (I think ?), I can't picture a Female Raen looking cool/good as a Warrior where the axe is as thick as your whole body (I'm also afraid of some clipping between my big horns and shoulders, gonna hide helmet in most cases).

Then again I'll probably play all classes later and Raen looks good with the others but so does Female Sea Wolf (imo) and it's probably the rarest combo (or could be Hellsguard) while Raen seems third to the two Miqo'te so you see them a lot.

What do ? Help please.

One more question too, on my old char (Fem Roe) when I swith pose in Dark Knight with my weapon drawn, she goes into a stance when she plants her sword into the ground but I saw screenshots with female having the male pose (Sword on shoulder). How can you do that (and can you do it with all jobs) ? Thanks
    Racial stats are extremely miniscule, and if you end up playing a variety of jobs, simply don't worry with them and play whichever one you like the aesthetics of. I do recommend checking animations for characters by either looking up videos or making lowbie alts of said characters just to check those out. Running animation comes to mind; I basically felt like I wasted a fantasia becoming female midlander because the way their arms/hands flail as they run drives me bonkers.

Personally, if you intend to main WAR, I'd stick to Sea Wolf Roe simply due to it being the best race for tanks. Roes of either variety are much more rare than any Au'ra, so you'd stand out (and by out, I mean tower over) a crowd.

On that DRK animation bit: I believe it's either /bstance or /vpose that will cause female characters to (briefly) pose like that. I "think" both of those are rewards from quests, but I forget the specifics at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Welp I'm a dumbass. Bought myself the Mog Staff item on the store and didn't read and just found out it's a 1 hander so can't glamour it . Needs to be a 2 hander variant of it because back then I can understand it being a 1 hander but BLM doesn't really use them as glamour or even gear anymore except maybe low level.
    I assume you can either sell it or exchange it via the won exchange person

Personally, if you intend to main WAR, I'd stick to Sea Wolf Roe simply due to it being the best race for tanks. Roes of either variety are much more rare than any Au'ra, so you'd stand out (and by out, I mean tower over) a crowd.

On that DRK animation bit: I believe it's either /bstance or /vpose that will cause female characters to (briefly) pose like that. I "think" both of those are rewards from quests, but I forget the specifics at this point.

Yeah, I'll stick with the Roe. One thing I noticed in the char creator : Female Roe have the biggest slider for Height by a lot (30.7 cm between min/max, all the others have less than 17 cm between min/max) I wonder why.

Now I need to decide between being tall or being fucking tall and this naming convention will, once again, be fun times

Okay, thanks.

It's always fun coming back to FFXIV and relaxing while playing. Hopefully I'll stick around longer than a month or two this time, considering I have so much content I need to chew through since the release of HW. Palace of the Dead is great for alt leveling, that's for sure. I kind of wish the other methods of level were buffed in some way though. The challenge log I'm sure could be improved to do that, but if I'm not doing Palace of the Dead or Levequests, kind of feels like a drag.

Dungeons are great but also slow-ish, hunting logs are also extremely slow however fun to see all the zones and travel them. And PVP isn't until 50, and that doesn't give EXP AFAIK -- so there goes that as well.

...Racial stats are extremely miniscule...
    Exactly. Ariyala's toolkit places ~10 point stat weight difference between the absolute best and the absolute worst race for even tanks (who benefit from having 2 different main stats that effect DPS rather than just one). There is bigger variance in raid accessories of the same item level.

Also, we just started doing A11S last week, what a fun fight. Well maybe not if you're a black mage, but still. Looking forward to giving A12S a try soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just two members left and I'll have my squadron members assembled, then it's just matter of sorting classes and getting them all leveled up.