Buy the weapon items(Titanium Alloy Mirror, et al)and sell on the MB. Also, you are at max rank, without doing Squadron stuff. Complete their rank-ups and you'll get promoted to 1st Lt., which is the current max.

Just caught up with the story and well

that went dark extremely fast like holy shit

also sohm al final boss was intense
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im 223 atm , gonna resume story today, had just finished Hinterlands before i hit 60.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    also sohm al final boss was intense
    Yeah, it can get very ugly very fast if your group isn't on the ball. Deadly Thrust will make a huge dent in a tanks health bar and if your DPS is too slow you're going to end up with very little space to work with towards the end of the fight. I am at least thankful that you can't accidentally walk into the lava though, I wouldn't put it past some people to avoid getting their feet burnt in fire puddles by instead taking a swim in lava.

Slow kills will get messy, but losing the tank to Deadly Thrust is what will really cause wipes on it. I make sure they're shielded up before it hits and have a Lustrate or two ready for after to top them back up again. Tanks should also be saving a cooldown for it, but you can't always count on that in a pug.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    From what I've heard, MNK is hell with random tanks because they constantly and pointlessly turn the mob, making positioning a royal pain.
    Been having issues like this with a Scholar too. Tanks just love to keep running out of Fairy healing range. And when they're not out running it, they're moving everything out of the Shadow Flare I just spent 3 seconds casting. It's nothing like as bad as it is for Monks, but I won't pretend it's not annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Been having issues like this with a Scholar too. Tanks just love to keep running out of Fairy healing range. And when they're not out running it, they're moving everything out of the Shadow Flare I just spent 3 seconds casting. It's nothing like as bad as it is for Monks, but I won't pretend it's not annoying.
    Tanks thinking a bards fire circle is a voidzone they have to step out of is just as "hilarious".

From what I've heard, MNK is hell with random tanks because they constantly and pointlessly turn the mob, making positioning a royal pain.
    Main reason why I stopped playing mine when NIN came out.. not worth the effort honestly since I mostly pug. Probably the most fun class for me with a good tank though.

Tanks thinking a bards fire circle is a voidzone they have to step out of is just as "hilarious"
    To be honest it would be nice if there was an easy way to differentiate between friendly fire and stuff mobs spew out of their guts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tanks thinking a bards fire circle is a voidzone they have to step out of is just as "hilarious".
    Love it when tanks think my bishop turret is an AoE and drags enemies out of it.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    To be honest it would be nice if there was an easy way to differentiate between friendly fire and stuff mobs spew out of their guts.
    No arguments there. I suppose they can hardly be blamed for not knowing that the patch of evil looking shadowy ground is a good idea to stand in, especially when there are lots of other similar looking shadowy patches of Evil/Fire/Poison etc which will kill you if you stand in them.

Even something as simple as putting a different coloured outline around them to differentiate would be enough to tell which was which at a glance.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    No arguments there. I suppose they can hardly be blamed for not knowing that the patch of evil looking shadowy ground is a good idea to stand in, especially when there are lots of other similar looking shadowy patches of Evil/Fire/Poison etc which will kill you if you stand in them.

Even something as simple as putting a different coloured outline around them to differentiate would be enough to tell which was which at a glance.
    Is it that difficult? circle of bright flame if you have a bard? no problem, circle of earth if you have a ninja? no problem, swirling blue dome with a summoner or scholar? no problem and the DRK aoe is completely unique. Thats really the only player AOE's with any effect. If you just look at your party roster job icons that should tell you even if debuffs on enemys dont.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Is it that difficult?
    If you don't know which Job does what, then perhaps it is. If I was new to tanking a dungeon, I'd avoid those kinds of AoE out of habit. Learning which ones are safe to stand in and which ones aren't takes time, "don't stand in the fire!" is MMO 101 afterall.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting the Bard AoE confused with enemy AoE in a place like Sohm Al, where it can be hard to tell at first glance if it's safe or not.

What annoys me is inconsistency in void zone colors, they can't just pick a single standard shade for them all and keep it the same? Nooo, gotta have this one be orange and that one be blue and this one be puce or whatever the fuck...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    What annoys me is inconsistency in void zone colors, they can't just pick a single standard shade for them all and keep it the same? Nooo, gotta have this one be orange and that one be blue and this one be puce or whatever the fuck...
    Lore and style for classes man better this way. Unless you think a water based one should be bright red just because an enemy used it or a fire one blue due to an ally using it

Random tanks, no. Random bad tanks, yeah.

I feel guilty as a tank when I'm having to constantly play dodgeball with the 27 different aoe and/or conal attacks that mobs try to hit me with when I mass pull, knowing that all the dancing around makes melee (especially MNK) sad. That said, having played MNK in those situation, it is fairly easy to maintain some fluidity and land positionals, since for aoe it'll be flank > flank > Rockbreaker then rear > rear > Rockbreaker, so there isn't all this jostling around...well, at 50+ at least, when you have Dragon Kick. MNK gets so much damn better at 50 and beyond it isn't even funny. DK, Peanut Butter (my nickname for Perfect Balance, aka PB), Form Shift, Kameyameya Punch (Forbidden Chakra), Elixir Field and Tornado Kick...om nom nom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Random tanks, no. Random bad tanks, yeah.

I feel guilty as a tank when I'm having to constantly play dodgeball with the 27 different aoe and/or conal attacks that mobs try to hit me with when I mass pull, knowing that all the dancing around makes melee (especially MNK) sad. That said, having played MNK in those situation, it is fairly easy to maintain some fluidity and land positionals, since for aoe it'll be flank > flank > Rockbreaker then rear > rear > Rockbreaker, so there isn't all this jostling around...well, at 50+ at least, when you have Dragon Kick. MNK gets so much damn better at 50 and beyond it isn't even funny. DK, Peanut Butter (my nickname for Perfect Balance, aka PB), Form Shift, Kameyameya Punch (Forbidden Chakra), Elixir Field and Tornado Kick...om nom nom.
    I haven't played Monk much recently, but I've never minded when a tank had to move. But yeah, ones that just keep moving and spinning for no reason at all... dude, that's not what Avoidance means!

I remember one like that from WoW in Zul'Gurub when facing that boss who randomly targets players that don't have aggro (so anyone but the tank) and one shots them as part of the fight mechanics. Well this guy spent the whole dungeon up to that point running around and jumping, even during fights. I specifically remember the dude was a Night Elf, because right when he jumped and did the NE flip jump, he lost aggro, Mandokir decapitated him mid-flip and suddenly I was Huntard tanking.

He stopped running around and jumping after that.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    There is: Bad voidzones typically give debuffs or deal rather heavy damage.

Still, I agree that player effects should be unique enough to be recognized immediately w/o having to observe damage number ticks, esp since Ff-XIV lacks addons such as SCT ot Eavesdrop that make combat log stuff easily readable.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it that difficult? circle of bright flame if you have a bard?
    I play this game for 2 years now. Until I leveled my bard a month ago, I always wondered which class did the firecircle thingy.
    Not everyone plays every class or reads up on other classes' abilities.

10 years of WoW and rogues are still "the mysterious thing you never turn your back to" ... I have almost 0 clue about them.

- - - Updated - - -

I feel guilty as a tank when I'm having to constantly play dodgeball with the 27 different aoe and/or conal attacks that mobs try to hit me with when I mass pull, knowing that all the dancing around makes melee (especially MNK) sad.
    Same here. Which is why, when I know I can take it w/o giving the healer a heart attack, I pop CDs and suffer through it like a masochistic DRK would.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Lore and style for classes man better this way. Unless you think a water based one should be bright red just because an enemy used it or a fire one blue due to an ally using it
    I think it should be immediately apparent with a single consistent color for them all. It's not better this way, it's just annoying and stupid. I don't care if ally AoE's are multiple colors. Just have the enemies use one color and stick to it, don't use that color for any other zone.

On the subject of aoes, so long as the player-used aoes remain the same, I'm fine with them having void zones of all sorts of different colors. Haven't had issue with it even on last boss of Sohm Al HM (which for as plain a mob as it is, that is a fairly decent fight). It's enough that almost every aoe indicator is the bright orange color (although I suppose that might be part of why everyone gets confused by the "stack here on this person or they die" indicator since it's orange-ish, too).

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so glad my friend is the tank.

I don't know, I always felt like the aoes are pretty obvious. A lot of times (not all iirc) the borders are very pronounced and highlighted compared to player AoE. Not talking about the one time hits, but the ones that stick on the ground.

On the subject of aoes, so long as the player-used aoes remain the same, I'm fine with them having void zones of all sorts of different colors. Haven't had issue with it even on last boss of Sohm Al HM (which for as plain a mob as it is, that is a fairly decent fight). It's enough that almost every aoe indicator is the bright orange color (although I suppose that might be part of why everyone gets confused by the "stack here on this person or they die" indicator since it's orange-ish, too).
    Sohm Al hm feels like the Snowcloak of 3.0 where they are testing models and ideas for 4.0. The dungeon is monstrously easy IF you have that situational awareness ingrained in you action rpgs tend to teach you more than mmos. Things like when to roll or defend in something like dark souls or god eater based on tells. Sadly a lot of mmos have trained people to power through and worst case blame the healer when things go wrong. Thats not me being arrogant thats just the way it is and SAhm is a prime example of it. Why do the first pulls take so long? they have huge hp pools to teach the tank to pull into the steam vents to inflict constant vulnerability on the mobs. Why do some adds summoned by hiss aggro the healer and glowing ones dont? what are they doing? and thats to teach you that the glowing ones are making the extra pools of magma. Then the middle boss which is straight up "pay attention and move".
    Baelsars wall is a victory lap for HW dungeon design, SAhm was a test for Stormblood just like Snowcloak was for Heavensward.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of learning the little things, just got Stone Vigil in the roullette, party of greenleaves wiped on the boss in his cleave which is understandable, so i tanked it solo as NIN because NIN and DRK have so many defensive cooldowns and such high dot payoff/off gdc attacks that it was a breeze. They were a bit surprised

Still it makes me wonder what the current state means for the cross class in 4.0. Just using the cooldowns and moving about NIN and DRG have been able to tank Alex normal bosses purely because their orientation attacks are not as strict as MNK, i can't imagine thats going to stick around for long in a game with the holy trinity.

Though the current state of NIN really reminds me off tanking NM's as NIN/RDM back in XI for those sweet boots

Sohm Al hm feels like the Snowcloak of 3.0 where they are testing models and ideas for 4.0. The dungeon is monstrously easy IF you have that situational awareness ingrained in you action rpgs tend to teach you more than mmos. Things like when to roll or defend in something like dark souls or god eater based on tells. Sadly a lot of mmos have trained people to power through and worst case blame the healer when things go wrong. Thats not me being arrogant thats just the way it is and SAhm is a prime example of it. Why do the first pulls take so long? they have huge hp pools to teach the tank to pull into the steam vents to inflict constant vulnerability on the mobs. Why do some adds summoned by hiss aggro the healer and glowing ones dont? what are they doing? and thats to teach you that the glowing ones are making the extra pools of magma. Then the middle boss which is straight up "pay attention and move".
    Baelsars wall is a victory lap for HW dungeon design, SAhm was a test for Stormblood just like Snowcloak was for Heavensward.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of learning the little things, just got Stone Vigil in the roullette, party of greenleaves wiped on the boss in his cleave which is understandable, so i tanked it solo as NIN because NIN and DRK have so many defensive cooldowns and such high dot payoff/off gdc attacks that it was a breeze. They were a bit surprised

Still it makes me wonder what the current state means for the cross class in 4.0. Just using the cooldowns and moving about NIN and DRG have been able to tank Alex normal bosses purely because their orientation attacks are not as strict as MNK, i can't imagine thats going to stick around for long in a game with the holy trinity.

Though the current state of NIN really reminds me off tanking NM's as NIN/RDM back in XI for those sweet boots
    Having dungeons where mob pulls have some level of mechanics to contend with aside from asinine amounts of damage on the tank (hello Dusk Vigil and Sohm Al NM), they go for things like they have in Sohm Al HM, aside from the ungodly large model mobs that make piling everything onto the steam vents a pain in the ass.

Sadistic of me, but another design element I think should make a return is a large open room a la the first one in AV, complete with patrolling mobs. It kinda boggles my mind how such a thing can give so many people fits. Then again, I suppose if I want that, I should stick to 151+ in PotD...but that slog from floor 51 just to get there is yuck.