Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I doubt it. They said 'late March' so if it's not the 21st then it's very likely to be the 28th. Unfortunately this also coincides with 7.2, apparently. Not that I play WoW anymore but it does rub me the wrong way that Blizzard refused to do timely content updates whilst I played yet now they've finally got some real competition they're suddenly motivated.
    Eh, based on what I've read plus having talked to people who either still play or quit during Legion, I've come to the conclusion that I haven't missed much there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    For kicks and giggles I made a character on Cerberus (was checking various race emotes/voices/animations), but that was last night my time (US Eastern time), which would've been around dead ass o'clock for most of Europe (like anywhere between 3-5 AM), maybe a little later but not by much.

That being said, the only server that was locked at that time was Ragnarok, but for all I know that's the Chaos equivalent of Balmung or Gilgamesh, so it may stay locked around the clock.
    Only servers open to me are lich and zodiark guess i'll have to go with a server roughly half the pop of others and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    But they were specifically asking to play with their friend, not 1 shot speed run their friend through everything, but play and enjoy the game with them. I believe it was paired with the request to replay MSQ, which was the harder part, but the desync was the first step likely easier to accomplish.
    Understood. I'm just not sold that its good enough. I could just be picky though.

Then the next expansion is just "more of the same" and Square needs to "innovate in order to keep it fresh." The exact same arguments being made now would be made afterwards because materia becomes standard expectation and now they're just doing the same ol' thing with materia in the next one.
    I don't buy that. I'd expect to see an improvement or expansion onto the existing system, with something new as the focal point to a new expansion. You wouldn't want to reinvent every single system every single expansion. That's bonkers.

I foresee player backlash hating this design and demanding you change it to be easier to do because it's too crucial and required for any content whatsoever and your design is grindy and too punishing.
    To be fair you don't even need a healer for 75% of the content in this game so I hardly think anything would be "required". Secondly it'd be tough to qualify as grindy without actually going into detail over what'd be required. I merely stated that I personally would prefer to not be a trivial thing. I'd want you to pay an opportunity cost to be able to 'bake" your perfect piece of loot and I saw an opportunity to toss the crafters a bone.

I know that there's people who just want a higher ilvl loot drop and simple x is > y, but I still firmly believe there are players like me, who like RPG systems and would like to CREATE something of value themselves. Taking a measily i160 chest piece with no materia slots and turning it into a piece of armor with the stats I want, slots I want, look I want, and effects I want. I doubly like the idea of having a social connection to creating this. There's no doubt in my mind that people won't see eye to eye on this, that's ok. This is merely me putting it all out there. if there's one thing I've learned from negotiations if you want the world, ask for the universe so when you are done you don't end up with just Australia (no offense Kiwis, merely wanted to pick an island to demonstrate a point).

How much more imbalance and power creep will it cause and is that a concern? The process of growing to access it would be cool, but again, how do you address these issues?

Sadly that's not "efficient" and that's the pure necessity for a lot of players. Honestly, players are what have killed interesting game design in MMOs. They dictate the fastest, most efficient, most immediately gratifying path to everything. Otherwise it's "a grind."

Players are their own worst enemies.

That said, FFXIV would probably have a better shot at implementing it as Asian MMOers seem more content to grind than Western players.
    I'm not concerned with imbalance. These discussions are always under the assumption that whatever I design or discuss can be balanced appropriately (note: appropriately doesn't mean perfectly). It's impossible for me to know what internal systems/rules/constraints they're subject too so I cannot base any assumptions on that. I can merely suggest fun things and see what people have to say.

Regarding power creep I have to say that I think as long as the power is released over the entire course of an expansion it wouldn't be a big deal. There'd likely be spikes "i.e. opening the ability to equip a second DPS materia", but I think that content could be tuned to accommodate that specific spike. It'd also serve as a nice touch of nerfing older content for those less mechanically skilled to complete it.

I do agree that players are often their own worst enemies. I think as long as there aren't any dramatic outliers the concept of efficiency isn't as important as its implied to be. There are numerous solutions to abate this issue as well, how good any of those solutions are is certainly up to debate though.

Defining grinds is tough. Is something a grind if its actually fun to do? I mean no one enjoys spamming A1S for light right? Doing the same fight you outgear so badly that you actually have to slow DPS so you don't bug the fight out isn't exactly what I would call fun. This is a much more difficult topic to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Only servers open to me are lich and zodiark guess i'll have to go with a server roughly half the pop of others and hope for the best.
    Trust me, you're better off not going to overpopulated servers. More people does not guarantee a better experience and can often lead to a much worse one.

Consider that while a large population is desirable, overpopulation is not. There is a reason certain servers have disabled character creation. If you go to those servers you'll have to contend with a lower potential for profit from the market board. Items that sell for millions on normal population servers sell for under 500k on Balmung and other overpopulated servers due to just how many people are there and competing in the market. You'll also have next to no chance of ever owning a house and no one knows if/when SE will raise the number of apartments allowed.

If anything I feel that LOWER population servers would make for a better experience because there's actually an opportunity to be the "big fish in a little pond" and not just get a house, but possibly get one on a choice lot. Going to an overpopulated server means you're going to have at most 1 million gil (if you transfer), no house and next to zero chance of ever getting one, you'll be just one more of thousands of crafters and/or gatherers (if you craft or gather) so making gil via those will be much more difficult than on a server that isn't overpopulated.

Remember that the grass always looks greener on the other side.... but rarely is. If population is the only reason you think that a server is a desirable place to go, then I would definitely give it more thought. Transferring to an overpopulated server because you have RL friends there waiting to play with you is one thing, but transferring just because you think things will somehow be "better" is probably not the best idea.

There's more downsides than people realize to a high population... more so when its not just "high population", but OVERPOPULATION. And if you transfer there you're only making the problem worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    Trust me, you're better off not going to overpopulated servers. More people does not guarantee a better experience and can often lead to a much worse one.

Consider that while a large population is desirable, overpopulation is not. There is a reason certain servers have disabled character creation. If you go to those servers you'll have to contend with a lower potential for profit from the market board. Items that sell for millions on normal population servers sell for under 500k on Balmung and other overpopulated servers due to just how many people are there and competing in the market. You'll also have next to no chance of ever owning a house and no one knows if/when SE will raise the number of apartments allowed.

If anything I feel that LOWER population servers would make for a better experience because there's actually an opportunity to be the "big fish in a little pond" and not just get a house, but possibly get one on a choice lot. Going to an overpopulated server means you're going to have at most 1 million gil (if you transfer), no house and next to zero chance of ever getting one, you'll be just one more of thousands of crafters and/or gatherers (if you craft or gather) so making gil via those will be much more difficult than on a server that isn't overpopulated.

Remember that the grass always looks greener on the other side.... but rarely is. If population is the only reason you think that a server is a desirable place to go, then I would definitely give it more thought. Transferring to an overpopulated server because you have RL friends there waiting to play with you is one thing, but transferring just because you think things will somehow be "better" is probably not the best idea.

There's more downsides than people realize to a high population... more so when its not just "high population", but OVERPOPULATION. And if you transfer there you're only making the problem worse.
    Nor does a smaller one. I've got alts on Zodiark and Lich and toons on Odin and Cerberus. I've had great experiences on all 4 servers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Sure if you want to let your existing personal biases inhibit your ability to have an objective discussion that's your prerogative. At this point, all I want you to do is go back to your post#32541 and edit it to accurately reflect that I do not want FF14 to be WoW because those words were never said no implied and I debunked it multiple times.
    You have a very odd obsession with that and no, demanding others like that gets you nowhere.
    I remember why I stopped bothering replying to you the first time. Glad though you ignore the other stuff.
    Anyways, I bow out and done with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Heh, yeah - built myself PC couple years ago, served me well.. but sadly GPU is starting to show lack of power in newer games. Sure I can still do FFXIV raids at 100+ FPS, so it's pretty low on the list to upgrade for.

*chuckles*
    That case is screaming for more HDDs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    *chuckles*
    I currently occupy 5 of those HDD bays and 2 of the SSDs in the back... >.>
    Heh, yeah - built myself PC couple years ago, served me well.. but sadly GPU is starting to show lack of power in newer games. Sure I can still do FFXIV raids at 100+ FPS, so it's pretty low on the list to upgrade for.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kXUXUA1m.jpg[IMG]
    Same case as me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    *chuckles*
    As am I, running out of space to put games into.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    You have a very odd obsession with that and no, demanding others like that gets you nowhere.
    I remember why I stopped bothering replying to you the first time. Glad though you ignore the other stuff.
    Anyways, I bow out and done with this.
    I'm merely asking you, a moderator to follow your own rules and show respect for the forum. If you make a statement in error and someone corrects you and asks you to update the post, it is a polite thing to do.

Keep it Civil
    Topics can become rather heated but remember to stay civil towards each other. Flaming or bashing others will net you an infraction.

I certainly think spreading misinformation about me qualifies as bashing.

Edit - regarding me ignoring other stuff, I tried conversing with you 3 separate times. You failed to participate in those discussions in a meaningful capacity so I did both of us a favor by me not using a 4th post dismantling your misconception of how benchmarks are used.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-03-20 at 08:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It'd seem that there are supernatural forces out there.

Team was planning to do A11S tonight, Discord servers crashed just as we were about to begin, and we can't really do much without voice chat. Thank you, whoever took them down - saved me pain of doing it, for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm merely asking you, a moderator to follow your own rules and show respect for the forum. If you make a statement in error and someone corrects you and asks you to update the post, it is a polite thing to do.

Keep it Civil
    Topics can become rather heated but remember to stay civil towards each other. Flaming or bashing others will net you an infraction.

I certainly think spreading misinformation about me qualifies as bashing.

Edit - regarding me ignoring other stuff, I tried conversing with you 3 separate times. You failed to participate in those discussions in a meaningful capacity so I did both of us a favor by me not using a 4th post dismantling your misconception of how benchmarks are used.
    You have some weird definitions of stuff... If you think it's a problem contact a global.
    (And something you should know, it doesn't matter what you think about yourself, it's what others think about you. You can keep saying you're ____ but if you don't act that way you aren't.)
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-03-20 at 11:00 PM.

So the census says that the active numbers gone from 300k to 600k and rising again. My wonder is are they returning players or the XI diehard holdouts that refused to try it until RDM/SAM finally showed up.

at least every instance is a bonus again

Yeah I built this PC exclusively for FFXIV back in August of 2013. I upgraded my GPU to a 970 once when Heavensward came out but I'm perfectly fine with that till the next generation. 1070 is a nice upgrade but not worth 600$ (yay Canada) when I can spend 900$ and build a new PC. Might even go for AMD this time with Ryzen ;P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    I currently occupy 5 of those HDD bays and 2 of the SSDs in the back... >.>
    Heh. I have 2 HDDs (6TB combined) and 2 SSDs (1.1TB combined) ... aaand all slots of my case are occupied. ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    I upgraded my GPU to a 970 once when Heavensward came out but I'm perfectly fine with that till the next generation. 1070 is a nice upgrade but not worth 600$
    Jumping from my old 7870 to a 1070 was quite a shock.
    My CPU (3570K @ 4.6) is holding my GPU back, but not enough right now for me to upgrade completely.
    At least not until I have my Alto Flute at the end of the year. :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Know what I'd like to see?

If they're making Enochian automatic, I wonder if we could use Blizzard IV and Fire IV to build stacks. Umbral Attunement and Astral Attunement, if you will.

Get 3 stacks of each, cast Ultima, a single target nuke that drains MP and clears stacks, or perhaps disables Enochian for a short period.

Honestly, I just want Ultima for BLM.

Also, potential ideas on what the LB3's for RDM and SAM will be?
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jun View Post

If they're making Enochian automatic, I wonder if we could use Blizzard IV and Fire IV to build stacks. Umbral Attunement and Astral Attunement, if you will.

Get 3 stacks of each, cast Ultima, a single target nuke that drains MP and clears stacks, or perhaps disables Enochian for a short period.

Not sure for RDM but SAM at a speculation could use 1 of Aurons Bushidos from FFX I guess. Dragon Fang would be pretty cool.

Damn, and here I am with a single 512 gb SSD and a 2 TB plate drive, both of which are like no more than 25% space used...

If I'm able to sell my laptop, I may use some of that money to splurge on a 1080 Ti whenever the ones with aftermarket coolers are in stock.

- - - Updated - - -

Doubt we get Ultima as a spell due to it's place in the main story.

Similar note, maybe they'll un-nerf Flare...#makeflaregreatagain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    So the census says that the active numbers gone from 300k to 600k and rising again. My wonder is are they returning players or the XI diehard holdouts that refused to try it until RDM/SAM finally showed up.

at least every instance is a bonus again
    Phoenix has been having a queue every day for the past 2 weeks around peak hours and earlier so this doesnt surprise me

Quote Originally Posted by sahlamuhla View Post
    Phoenix has been having a queue every day for the past 2 weeks around peak hours and earlier so this doesnt surprise me
    Thats the wierd thing, even at the 300k low Shiva has always had a 10-30 player que at all times every single day. I know it was the attempt by douchebags to crash the market and make it "the official FR server, engless spek pigs get out" at 2.0 but since then it seemed to be quiet but maybe its just the douchebags dispersing after a few french players made an unfortunate public apology on the reddit saying "we are sorry most french act like this to english speakers but its not all of us" and it ended up with the fr troll FC's getting blacklisted by the german grey market that replaced the marketboard for a few months when they crashed it to 1gil for everything and they server transferred or quit. Sometimes mmo economies can be fascinating but i always assumed that more silence meant a more dead server but i didnt even know other servers had times without ques!

- - - Updated - - -

I could see them looking at Bravely Default for a lot of RDM's design, Yoshi has said its not a XI style caster bar the whole fencing swashbuckler aesthetic. In BD there were class that could take spells and add effects or 'undo' damage as healing. I could see RDM having a version of ultima that acts like the BLM limit but it does half the damage but also any players in the bubble are healed for the same amount, just no ressing to keep it between the BLM and WHM limits. Like maybe they boost forwads in a thrust strike and slam the sword in the ground and the FF8 style nuke ultima spreads slowly from there so its possible to whiff it?

-or maybe they will finally ad a limit like wow's bloodlust you want to use in those situations where you need a burst on a raid boss to beat an enrage or in dungeons where the second boss is much harder than the 3rd? Like Call it Overdrive and you get en-fire, en-fire,en-earth,en-thunder, en-ice, en-water and en-wind all at once for 30 seconds? Might also make people want to take any healer other than AST for once too
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-03-21 at 11:50 AM.