10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    What server are you guys all on?
    Odin (EU).

Hope people stick around or come back for Stormblood for you, then. I'm on Gilgamesh.

Was hoping the set bonus discussion would at least rouse a few of you to discussion, but it appears not. Ya'll just dont want to help my get through my work day in some fashion that's enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Well.. there's that, main tank decided to leave raid-group - original raid-members left: 3. Think we're about to be done with whole raiding scene. Maybe Stormblood will inspire us, maybe not.. we'll see.

Shortly after he left, got whisper if I'm planning to leave as well since we've been doing stuff together for past ~2 years. Just hope that he's not planning to quite FFXIV entirely, been two long years and he's pretty much "only friend" in-game - and I don't know if I can continue alone.
    That sucks, sorry to hear that. Playing MMO's without friends suck. It's easy enough to make new ones, but it's never the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Your memory is party correct. Yes some sidequests were questlines but my point still stands: if you picked out the flight quests you could easily have the rest of the sidequests with flight. Please do not argue further with me about this. I have leveled that way because I hate being pinned to the ground.

I didn't level hardcore though, so daily dungeon roulette + rested xp prevented any "main story lock" and saw to it that I could reserve the sidequests for my alt classes (except Azys Lla, but you can fly there right away).
    Fair enough, I'd posit your leveling experience was probably uncommon at expac release, thus why I didn't account for it. My apologies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    My personal beef with set bonuses is the omni-present perception that kind of thing tends to generate of "Get set or gtfo". At the moment gearing in FFXIV is not exactly overwhelmingly exciting, but it is also not very elitist: The Savage crowd gets the top ilevel gear faster and the option of mixing and matching things together to make absolute BiS, but the rest can achieve very near the same level of gearing eventually without needing to handle statics or brawing more or less civil farm groups.

Getting cosmetic fun and games is certainly ok and could generate more interest in poking around older "hard content" past its usual experation date.
    Gtfo of what? Dungeons? I bet you I could do a dungeon with just a weapon equipped and do more damage than 25-30% of the players in DF.

I don't think set bonuses create any form of elitism. The game could really use some spice and life added to it. I listed some systems ideas I thought were fun and worth discussing. Do you have no input on them? What about your own ideas? Do you have any?

An unfortunate focus on having a certain talent, set bonus, race, keyboard layout or shoe size usually has very little to do with an actual need for it. That doesn't remove the tendency for said focus to appear - particularly in matched groups.

While I am not adverse to change I just happen to think that throught-put enhancing savage-only set bonuses is a very bad change. Graphics, sounds and the like are all potentially good ideas whether they are done as a traditional set bonus, through materia or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Widow View Post
    I've been playing this for a few hours, just the free trial or whatever. I have to say, it's got serious Tera vibes, which I actually enjoyed playing for a while. Some of the races even look like one another but I assume Tera is the one that got inspiration.

I do have to say though, so far combat has been rather lackluster, and the constant cinematics and dialogues are becoming tedious. though, customization was brilliant and the game runs super smoothly, graphics are brilliant and the game itself has a good feel to it. (I've never played any FF games)

The only thing that turns me away from it is that it has a monthly sub. I just don't see the point paying two when WoW offers me so much already.
    The combat gets faster and the story gets better, I will say that, XIV is a game you have to stick with to cross the threshold from "WoW clone" to its own unique identity. I feel like the stop of the level cap is pretty intentional, as level 30 (35 being the free trial cap) is where a lot of people consider that the gameplay and story begins to pick up the pace and become much better.

As for the cutscenes, it's a very, very story driven game, the cutscenes are going to stay a part of it for a very long time.

I've been playing this for a few hours, just the free trial or whatever. I have to say, it's got serious Tera vibes, which I actually enjoyed playing for a while. Some of the races even look like one another but I assume Tera is the one that got inspiration.
    Probably right as the FFXIV races were drawn from Final Fantasy XI which debuted way back in 2002.
    Now I might have to go look at Tera's races just out of curiosity.

Never played Tera, but I have seen some screenshots in the past and can see that.

I do have to say though, so far combat has been rather lackluster, and the constant cinematics and dialogues are becoming tedious. though, customization was brilliant and the game runs super smoothly, graphics are brilliant and the game itself has a good feel to it. (I've never played any FF games)
    The game does start off slow, yes. And as Veluren said, there will always be a fair number of cut scenes and dialog windows. Very heavy story emphasis. As to combat being slow, again Veluren is correct in that it picks up a LOT later on. If I may ask, what class did you pick to start? Some classes are much slower early on, but at level 50+ get insanely fast and complex.

To give this game - specifically low level/beginner content - a fair shake when compared to WoW, create a new WoW trial account and roll up a brand new character on a server where you don't normally play and have no friends. Pick a class/spec that you've never played before so things aren't completely familiar to you. You also have to understand that early on 1) the game treats everyone as if they've NEVER played an MMO before and 2)it's setting up the story of the world for you - which makes sense since as mentioned above, it has a heavy story focus.

The only thing that turns me away from it is that it has a monthly sub. I just don't see the point paying two when WoW offers me so much already.
    You can set up what's called an Entry Level sub. It limits you to 1 character per server, maximum of 8 characters. but you don't really need more than 1 anyway since you can do literally everything in the game on a single character. This drops the cost by $2 a month.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Fair enough, I'd posit your leveling experience was probably uncommon at expac release, thus why I didn't account for it. My apologies.
    Probably, bet most peeps are just keeping on trucking instead of taking it slow.
    Been doing that for 8 years in WoW, so I wanted to do it differently in FF. Quite enjoyed it too.

Ugh.

I just had one of the most painful Dun Scaith runs ever. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. We managed to endure (since my policy is to never leave a group since I'm stubborn and want to see things through to the very end). Yet it was tedious. On the plus side it made me more confident as a tank since I took charge on that level and I walked away with three commendations and the Diabolos card that I've been trying to get for ages.

Then I got the last Frontlines win I needed to get one of the Garo mounts. Just two to go before Stormblood!

10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats, Graeham. Now you're a real tank.

Running DS blind when it was new as tank was one eye-opening experience...especially with the last boss and my response of "oh shit my face" after every tankbuster.

Congrats, Graeham. Now you're a real tank.
    Heh, thanks! It's good practice for 4.0 since I intend to tackle the MSQ's as a PLD. I'll be eager to soak up all the new story stuff ASAP during early access to better avoid spoilers and the queue times for content should be much shorter that way. I'll be switching from MCH to SAM as my main but I want to do that when the SAM hype has died down a little. Plus I need to ensure I actually like the SAM animations since the NIN ones were a major dealbreaker for me.

...and RDM, too, looks promising so that's a potential wildcard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Running DS blind when it was new as tank was one eye-opening experience...especially with the last boss and my response of "oh shit my face" after every tankbuster.
    They definitely hurt. I like the 'tank buster' mechanic, though. It's simple but effective. My least favourite tank mechanic is a tank swap - mostly due to unpleasant memories with Bismarck (EX).

Hmm. I have no clue how PvP would feel in this game. Is it worse than BGs in WoW?

Hmm 6K Wolf marks for the 2 items I'd want. Should be able to suffer through that.
    Going back a bit on this reply... I might suggest going ahead and farming up the full set even if you don't care for the whole thing, then getting the title/achievement from the Garo vendor. That way you have the option to buy those items back from the Calamity Salvager instead of having to keep them in your inventory forever. I only started PvPing Sunday, and had a full set by Wednesday and I wasn't even grinding nonstop or anything.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.

10 Frontlines wins done. No sanity left. Send help. Morons in PvP make Eleccybubb Rage! ELECCYBUBB SMASH!

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    10 Frontlines wins done. No sanity left. Send help. Morons in PvP make Eleccybubb Rage! ELECCYBUBB SMASH!
    Congratulations! Seem our pacing is the same.

I'd quite like to make the push to get at least one of the Allagan sphere mounts but I fear that is beyond my patience. I might try to continue doing Frontlines 2-3 times a week, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Is it normal that all the Frontlines I did (started doing them at the beginning of the event) were the Field of Glory ? I never got the other one.

Since Frontlines is a 3-way fight, the average win is not 50% but 33% so it takes longer to achieve a certain amount of wins.
    Imo, I didn't find Frontlines to be horrible, I tried one Feast though and I couldn't bear it (maybe because it's full on PvP and not PvPvE like Frontlines). In Frontlines I'm never with the others, I just stay on one of the side near the second closest Crystal of the enemy's base, that way I can steal some points and only PvE .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I like the 'tank buster' mechanic, though. It's simple but effective. My least favourite tank mechanic is a tank swap - mostly due to unpleasant memories with Bismarck (EX).
    Yeah depending on whether the other tank can taunt or not I could imagine that to be a pain.
    Even with Tank taunts, tank swaps suck in LFR too.
    @Scufflegrit: good point.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the insight, very helpful. Didn't know you could do cheaper subs with the game either haha
    Cheapest here is buying gametime cards from MMOGA. 10.5€/month for a full account.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Is it normal that all the Frontlines I did (started doing them at the beginning of the event) were the Field of Glory ? I never got the other one.
    I've only done a handful myself, but so far, yeah they've all been FoG, not Seal Rock. Shame too, since I wouldn't mind having that achievement set for glamour.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to get Seal Rock and Borderland Ruins if I queue during day, once people get back from school/work, it's usually just Fields of Glory.

- - - Updated - - -

Wish they'd fix Free Company -buffs, out of nowhere got 90002 disconnect during frontline and lost my FC buffs - which resulted in loss of 200 Wolf Marks.

Deleted
    Come back to play and see that the weekly cap is 900, how the hell you get 900 in a week? :P