So, grossly OT, but here's a link to a post I made over in the Paladin sub-forum http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...bilities-etc-). I saw some threads about how people were unhappy with x/y/z and so in my free time at work I worked on a proposed build for the spec that I play (Retribution Paladin). If you're not familiar with the spec or its ups and downs it's ok, feel free to shoot over and roast me, or throw up some likes/dislikes/criticisms/etc.

I actually have one in the works for Paladin in FF14 (from HW era) that ironically brought over 2 of my ideas in SB so I'd need to rework that one eventually. I also have one I started a while ago for my concept of the Golden Saucer Battle arena and I have another old one from HW that details a full materia system rework.

Among that there's other things like a proposed Mega Man X remake in the vein of a souls environment I had briefly touched on (boss designs, patterns, etc.) and my ever elusive dream MMO that I haven't put into words yet.

Having just begun the climb to 70 on PLD I'd say my only real gripe is the job lacks an offense-focused dump for its job gauge. Seriously, WAR and DRK get multiples and PLD can't even get one? And no, I don't consider Sheltron-Shield Swipe to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Having just begun the climb to 70 on PLD I'd say my only real gripe is the job lacks an offense-focused dump for its job gauge. Seriously, WAR and DRK get multiples and PLD can't even get one? And no, I don't consider Sheltron-Shield Swipe to be one.
    Do PLDs really need such a use of the gauge, though? Their kit is pretty well fleshed out.

I will say that at face value, the oath gauge feels tacked on; both sheltron and intervention could simply be abilities on short cds instead. With the current implementation, though, it feels more rewarding to run sword oath when facing fewer mobs/a boss and shield oath becomes moreso when a bunch of stuff is attacking. I suppose a decent damage AoE would be nice (and give something else to do besides spam total eclipse...but having played PLD pre-SB, I'm kinda happy to at least be able to do AoE damage now that isn't tied to a cd).

Once they make WAR's Shake It Off actually useful (assuming they do), the tanks at 70 should be fairly well balanced. Far cry from 3.x, where PLD was basically a red headed step child.

I have all 3 at 70 now and DRK is by far my favorite to play, with Warrior second. PLD still feels solid but just not as fun as the other 2, and honestly a lot of that to me comes from it's gauge feeling almost useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    DRK is awesome, esp with the active mitigation provided by the bubble.
    Haven't tested the other two yet, but I really like the blue wings of the pally.

Even in 2.0 and 3.0 when PLD was in a pretty awkward place I couldn't help but have a fondness for it. I just like the aesthetics of a cliche holy knight much more than the aesthetics of WAR and DRK. 4.0 has made me very happy, though. It fixed most of the issues PLD suffers from - though I agree that the job gauge could be given more use, especially when it comes to using sword oath.

I acquired both the 2.0 and 3.0 relic weapons for PLD. Even though I did not play it as my main job. I mostly use it for roulettes and quests - and for tougher content I default to DPS. DRG in 2.0, MCH in 3.0 and SAM in 4.0. I suspect that I'll probably go after the 4.0 PLD relic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Do PLDs really need such a use of the gauge, though? Their kit is pretty well fleshed out.

I will say that at face value, the oath gauge feels tacked on; both sheltron and intervention could simply be abilities on short cds instead. With the current implementation, though, it feels more rewarding to run sword oath when facing fewer mobs/a boss and shield oath becomes moreso when a bunch of stuff is attacking. I suppose a decent damage AoE would be nice (and give something else to do besides spam total eclipse...but having played PLD pre-SB, I'm kinda happy to at least be able to do AoE damage now that isn't tied to a cd).

Once they make WAR's Shake It Off actually useful (assuming they do), the tanks at 70 should be fairly well balanced. Far cry from 3.x, where PLD was basically a red headed step child.
    I'd love an offensive dump honestly. The gauge definitely feels tacked on for sure. I use sword oath almost exclusively. In my weekly O3S clears and my O4S progression I'm in sword oath. If I decide to do EX trials I'm in sword oath (I was even kicked from one helping a friend clear last week because I wasn't in tank stance, let alone I was #1 dps...) The only time I use Shield Oath is when I'm running dungeons and pulling wall to wall. For every single boss I sit in sword oath full time.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know how you guys keep it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I have all 3 at 70 now and DRK is by far my favorite to play, with Warrior second. PLD still feels solid but just not as fun as the other 2, and honestly a lot of that to me comes from it's gauge feeling almost useless.
    I'm enjoying each, although WAR suffers from having a ramp up time before they can start really laying the smack down, whereas PLD can just jump right into FoF phase of their dps cycle and DRK can BW + Delirium. I, too, tend to prefer DRK, although that preference was being tested mightily as I leveled from 60-70. That said...

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    DRK is awesome, esp with the active mitigation provided by the bubble.
    Haven't tested the other two yet, but I really like the blue wings of the pally.
    TBN takes DRK from being boring as fuck all and seeming lacking in defensive cds to being completely bonkers (in a good way). Once they patched Quietus to restore MP, DRK basically becomes a whirlwind of death and sea urchins (the Abyssal Drain graphic) on massive aoe pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'd love an offensive dump honestly. The gauge definitely feels tacked on for sure. I use sword oath almost exclusively. In my weekly O3S clears and my O4S progression I'm in sword oath. If I decide to do EX trials I'm in sword oath (I was even kicked from one helping a friend clear last week because I wasn't in tank stance, let alone I was #1 dps...) The only time I use Shield Oath is when I'm running dungeons and pulling wall to wall. For every single boss I sit in sword oath full time.
    Given how I enjoy blasting things with Quietus + AD on DRK, and WAR having OP and Decimate for AoE, I could see an AoE damage ability working as an oath dump being pretty baller on PLD. Would make large pulls with Shield Oath up even more fun if you could go into Requeiscat and weave said AoE attack in between HS uses.

If anything changes with any tanks at this point, though, I'd simply like to see WAR's Shake It Off be something worth having on a hotbar. While I don't have a lot of time at 68+ on WAR thus far, I have yet to use it...and based on friend's feedback, the few instances they thought to "hey I can remove this debuff with SIO", it didn't remove a damn thing. -.-

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Even in 2.0 and 3.0 when PLD was in a pretty awkward place I couldn't help but have a fondness for it. I just like the aesthetics of a cliche holy knight much more than the aesthetics of WAR and DRK. 4.0 has made me very happy, though. It fixed most of the issues PLD suffers from - though I agree that the job gauge could be given more use, especially when it comes to using sword oath.

I acquired both the 2.0 and 3.0 relic weapons for PLD. Even though I did not play it as my main job. I mostly use it for roulettes and quests - and for tougher content I default to DPS. DRG in 2.0, MCH in 3.0 and SAM in 4.0. I suspect that I'll probably go after the 4.0 PLD relic too.
    I now own both the PLD zeta and relic also; the shield for the anima set borders on being a buckler compared to the Aegis Shield, let alone any of the tower shields available. The PLD zeta is simply going to be hard for them to top, aesthetically speaking, let alone lore wise (in terms of previous FF installments and how those two items always rank among the most powerful items in their respective games).

Depending on how painful the new relic/anima/whatever weapons are to obtain, my current goal is to get BLM one first, then DRK/WHM. After that, it's pretty much whatever...although I do tend to like all the tank relics/anima. Ok, maybe not so much the WAR Lux anima (which is why my next zeta will be Ragnarok).

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I don't know how you guys keep it up...
    ? What exactly are you referring to?

I'm enjoying each, although WAR suffers from having a ramp up time before they can start really laying the smack down, whereas PLD can just jump right into FoF phase of their dps cycle and DRK can BW + Delirium. I, too, tend to prefer DRK, although that preference was being tested mightily as I leveled from 60-70. That said...

TBN takes DRK from being boring as fuck all and seeming lacking in defensive cds to being completely bonkers (in a good way). Once they patched Quietus to restore MP, DRK basically becomes a whirlwind of death and sea urchins (the Abyssal Drain graphic) on massive aoe pulls.

Given how I enjoy blasting things with Quietus + AD on DRK, and WAR having OP and Decimate for AoE, I could see an AoE damage ability working as an oath dump being pretty baller on PLD. Would make large pulls with Shield Oath up even more fun if you could go into Requeiscat and weave said AoE attack in between HS uses.

If anything changes with any tanks at this point, though, I'd simply like to see WAR's Shake It Off be something worth having on a hotbar. While I don't have a lot of time at 68+ on WAR thus far, I have yet to use it...and based on friend's feedback, the few instances they thought to "hey I can remove this debuff with SIO", it didn't remove a damn thing. -.-
    Yeah I could get on board with an AOE DPS dump ability for PLD. Shake it off, lol now that is a depressing ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    For every single boss I sit in sword oath full time.
    Which DPS tends to have the best burst for nipping at the aggro heels in your opinion?

Back in 2.0 our BLM enjoyed triple flaring our friend as it was their first time playing a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Which DPS tends to have the best burst for nipping at the aggro heels in your opinion?

Back in 2.0 our BLM enjoyed triple flaring our friend as it was their first time playing a tank.
    Not Wreck, but in my experience, it's usually SAMs that ride threat the hardest, followed by BLM and MNK. The ones to watch out for when pulling, though, would be RDM; their damage is very spiky right at the start of a pull. SAM, BLM, and MNK are the ones I always see start to catch up to me whenever I'm tanking, but they are a diversion/lucid away from being fine, or if I have my friend co-tanking with me, I have him toss a shirk my way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok, first up, I want to point out that I started just before Heavensward came out so I was late to leveling crafting. I eventually got my crafting up to 60 around 3.5. This meant that I didn't catch what crafting recipes were released when during Heavensward. All I knew was that Ironworks was released either 3.3 or 3.4.

So my first question is if Stormblood follows similar release of recipes to Heavensward, when do you think 2-star and 3-star crafting/gathering gear recipes will be released?

Secondly, what do you think will be the melding stratagy will be when the 2-star gear is released? Wait for 3-star battle gear to be released and meld for that or meld willy-nilly before then? Or guess what the 3-star stat requirements be (ie: based on the 2-star and 3-star stat requirements for level 60 gear, I estimated that 3-star could require 1600 Craftmanship and 1477 Control.)
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2017-09-19 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post

Burst as in the opener? RDM/BRD/WHM by far. Post opener (i.e. over course of fight), typically SAM/WHM/MNK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinalover View Post
    Ok, first up, I want to point out that I started just before Heavensward came out so I was late to leveling crafting. I eventually got my crafting up to 60 around 3.5. This meant that I didn't catch what crafting recipes were released when during Heavensward. All I knew was that Ironworks was released either 3.3 or 3.4.

So my first question is if Stormblood follows similar release of recipes to Heavensward, when do you think 2-star and 3-star crafting/gathering gear recipes will be released?

Secondly, what do you think will be the melding stratagy will be when the 2-star gear is released? Wait for 3-star battle gear to be released and meld for that or meld willy-nilly before then? Or guess what the 3-star stat requirements be (ie: based on the 2-star and 3-star stat requirements for level 60 gear, I estimated that 3-star could require 1600 Craftmanship and 1477 Control.)
    I'm from a similar situation; I was right at 50 on all crafts/gatherers when 3.3 hit, which introduced the Ironworks stuff.

There will likely be some sort of new crafting/gathering gear for 4.2, or maybe 4.2x (a subpatch a couple weeks after the raids have been out), but it'll be akin to what the Carbonweave stuff was in HW. 4.3 or 4.3x will likely see the SB equivalent of Ironworks show up, and pentamelding it out the wazoo will be needed for 4* stuff, but that stuff likely won't be out until this time next year.

As for what melding strategies to employ, it's anyone's guess, currently.

Friendly reminder that this is simply speculation on my part, based on the timetable that HW went on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not Wreck, but in my experience, it's usually SAMs that ride threat the hardest, followed by BLM and MNK. The ones to watch out for when pulling, though, would be RDM; their damage is very spiky right at the start of a pull. SAM, BLM, and MNK are the ones I always see start to catch up to me whenever I'm tanking, but they are a diversion/lucid away from being fine, or if I have my friend co-tanking with me, I have him toss a shirk my way.
    It's why if I ever play DPS RDM I make sure it's my friend that's the tank because fuck if I don't die right at the start otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It's why if I ever play DPS RDM I make sure it's my friend that's the tank because fuck if I don't die right at the start otherwise.
    Yep, it's either that, or I'm also with a friend who's been leveling WHM as I've leveled RDM, and I just mention on Discord something to the effect of "oops I'm tanking".

Pretty hilarious finding a need for slotting both diversion and lucid dreaming.

Playing FFIX HD on PS4 right now and it really makes me wish there were Black Waltz enemies in XIV, always loved their design as the even edgier BLM's

10+ Year Old Account
    How does post Heavensward BLM play now ?
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset