Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    No FFXIV for me until Monday - though I've got Distant Worlds during my much needed vacation to London. I'll let you guys know if they play any FFXIV songs!

IX and XII are my favourite soundtracks overall, so even one song from each would please me greatly. I love the music in pretty much every Final Fantasy game, though. The only one that was disappointing to me was FFXIII's soundtrack, though I put that down to the game as a whole just not feeling like a Final Fantasy title...
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    When I got to see Distant Worlds in Dallas, TX we were treated to both Answers and Heavensward with Susan Calloway in attendance!
    Yeah, when I saw DW in Trenton NJ I got to see Answers AND Nobuo play world of ruin. They played a lot of stuff from FF6, 7, 9, and some others too.

DW was a real treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Normally I'm all hunky-dory about my experiences in this game as a whole, but yes, even I have my bouts with failboats, such as the one in Skalla last night. I queued up as DRK so I could get in instantly + I do respectable damage from the tank role. Oh, and more credit toward the armored panther.

Everything seemed alright at the start. Noticed the first boss took longer than I've ever seen it take. "Hmm...*looks at ACT*...well then, Mr. 1k dps SAM". It's late and I don't care to drop the group over one person being bad.

Second set of trash mobs (the 2 Muk-looking things and the 3 Dhara golems, cause why would I not pull them together), the SAM pipes up:

"Could you knock it off with the big pulls? Makes it hard for me to focus."

Pretty sure my posture and expression IRL could best be summed up by that meme pic of the guy with his head tilted and "???" plastered next to him. I suppose it was the SAM's lucky day, because there's really no other opportunity to do bigger pulls after that, aside from the very last sets of mobs near the end (which I only pull as a pile if I have a trusted healer with me). Oh, and for the record, during that trash pull where he made that statement, he died twice.

Strange thing I noticed: This guy literally moved slower than anyone else, as if he was perma-heavied or something. Yet he had the run animation and all, so it wasn't RP walk (nor was it that slow). Couple that with bad reaction time...lol, dodge the bad? Puh-lease. Healer, adjust!

Needless to say, I had low expectations for the last boss. Surprise: They were met with flying colors, to the tune of 4 deaths and 300 dps (no, I didn't leave a digit off that last number). Overall dps for them throughout the run: Just over 800. 7 total deaths throughout the dungeon.

Much to my horror, a minion (that I was unaware of) dropped; Salt and Pepper Seal. "Oh my fuck this shitlord is gonna win this thing"...and the guy passed on it, but yours truly rolled a whopping 17, so it went to the SMN instead. I was actually relieved to see that, honestly, although the preference would've been for it to land in my inventory. I've seen more than one pony/bird go to someone who couldn't stay alive through the simplest of things and die repeatedly on the fight. I suppose that makes me a hypocrite, though, seeing that I looted my Titan pony while at the bottom of the pit...

Keeping in mind the numbers I saw, I decided to look at my previous dungeon run, which happened to be Neverreap. I was on NIN for the first time in at least a year. Overall damage right at 1k (980-990). Keep in mind that Neverreap, while level 60, has ilvl sync to 210, and I fucked up mudras at least half a dozen times (because the muscle memory I had for the job wasn't 100% accurate). I didn't die to anything, though, so I supposed that helped. Just need to play it in more group settings for practice and I'll be fine.
    Dude - wow. I don't think I could have kept my composure. I lost it in Rabanstre last night for a lot less than that.

Half my static decided we'd go to Rabanstre (they're on alt jobs, except me, cuz PLD fo lyfe). We must have queue'd up for Savage because the 1st boss had new mechanics I'd never seen before. Couple that with if my friends decided not to go, they never would have cleared the first boss. Alliance A was completely dead. all 8 of them. Alliance B was half dead, and Alliance C (mine) had like 1 person dead). Avg DPS among the entire raid was roughly 1300 DPS. Something average players achieved at level 60 in 2.1-2.2 gear.

We managed to not wipe despite the new savage mechanics my static had never seen. Someone complained I was in DPS stance, I don't know why, because I grabbed my adds, and killed it with no issues. Maybe he got his alliances confused? I don't know.

I decided to pull the second boss because everyone was just sitting around, (i put waymarks down myself), and the other tanks kept provoking off me (and were in tank stances when OTing?) so whatever I let them have it. Not only do we wipe once to sand sphere (alliance A was literal dead fucking weight). We come back and we wipe to his ult enrage. We didn't kill the command tower in time. I don't even understand how. Not to add insult to injury but every single time boss did the half room AOE at least 4-6 people died.

I got pretty vocal after that. Not going to lie. I called out the sand sphere damage. I said specifically who was ignoring adds and got "lol" or "who cares" or "you're lying/wrong" and other such responses. I got stuff like maybe if you could hold aggro (hint without you provoking, you couldn't pull off me in sword oath when you're in tank stance). Man it was rough.

I wish I could have been in alliance a party chat, just to see what they were saying to each other. They eventually all left 1 by 1 and we left too.

3 weeks later and people still can't breathe and hit keys simultaneously it appears.

@Faroth for you baby <3

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    @Faroth for you baby <3
    The curse remains in tact!

Stormblood Ninja, particularly at 60 and below but even at 70 for me, is kinda dull now.

By removing a DoT and changing the combo for another, the basic rotation just seems so boring to me and the new additions for Stormblood are basically "wait til a gauge fills, then push an extra ability & resume boring rotation." Even mudra ninjutsu doesn't liven it up anymore.

Maybe I'm playing NIN entirely wrong now. I guess I should look into it, but I don't really care to... I hit 70 on it, the retainer can now level up, so I can shelve the job again. I've gone all in with SAM.

I haven't run a roulette in weeks, though, so I assure you it was not me giving you a bad time and bringing dishonor to Samurai everywhere.
    Way too early for me to cast a verdict on it. I sure as shit love having shade and smoke screen, though, even if most of what I'm doing doesn't necessitate the use of those abilties. Is the frog and Bhavawhatever oGCD? I am thinking they are on gcd, which kinda makes me think NIN loosely plays like WAR in the sense of you use your combos to build up a resource (or in NIN's case, you let auto attacks build it up as you do the combos), then use the resource to knock the socks off of something. Way too early for me to form an opinion on it though, since it's tainted by my fuckuppery of mudra combos right now.

I honestly can't stand SAM unless it's 62+. Well, no; it's ok if locked to level 50. From 52-61, though...ugh. Being kenki starved pretty much all the time is just yucky. But holy hell does it get fun from 62 onward. It's a lot less stress-free compared to MNK and the much more constant moving around to meet positional requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Yeah, when I saw DW in Trenton NJ I got to see Answers AND Nobuo play world of ruin. They played a lot of stuff from FF6, 7, 9, and some others too.

DW was a real treat.

Dude - wow. I don't think I could have kept my composure. I lost it in Rabanstre last night for a lot less than that.

Half my static decided we'd go to Rabanstre (they're on alt jobs, except me, cuz PLD fo lyfe). We must have queue'd up for Savage because the 1st boss had new mechanics I'd never seen before. Couple that with if my friends decided not to go, they never would have cleared the first boss. Alliance A was completely dead. all 8 of them. Alliance B was half dead, and Alliance C (mine) had like 1 person dead). Avg DPS among the entire raid was roughly 1300 DPS. Something average players achieved at level 60 in 2.1-2.2 gear.

We managed to not wipe despite the new savage mechanics my static had never seen. Someone complained I was in DPS stance, I don't know why, because I grabbed my adds, and killed it with no issues. Maybe he got his alliances confused? I don't know.

I decided to pull the second boss because everyone was just sitting around, (i put waymarks down myself), and the other tanks kept provoking off me (and were in tank stances when OTing?) so whatever I let them have it. Not only do we wipe once to sand sphere (alliance A was literal dead fucking weight). We come back and we wipe to his ult enrage. We didn't kill the command tower in time. I don't even understand how. Not to add insult to injury but every single time boss did the half room AOE at least 4-6 people died.

I got pretty vocal after that. Not going to lie. I called out the sand sphere damage. I said specifically who was ignoring adds and got "lol" or "who cares" or "you're lying/wrong" and other such responses. I got stuff like maybe if you could hold aggro (hint without you provoking, you couldn't pull off me in sword oath when you're in tank stance). Man it was rough.

I wish I could have been in alliance a party chat, just to see what they were saying to each other. They eventually all left 1 by 1 and we left too.

3 weeks later and people still can't breathe and hit keys simultaneously it appears.

@Faroth for you baby <3
    Don't think I didn't feel a bit dirty for saying "Fuck it, not worth arguing with this turd" and simply continuing to plod along, because now that person's a step closer to more creation gear, so higher ilvl, which theoretically lets them access more stuff...like Rabanastre. So yeah, someone else may have done the exact same thing on Primal last week and now you reap the "benefits" of such a turd in your 24 man.

The opening lines of Answers seems all-too appropriate at times in this game. Part of me laughs at this idea, while part of me weeps.

The Ninki spenders Bhavacakra, Hellfrog Medium, and Ten Chi Jin are all oGCD. The first two are pretty cool. And then there is your level 70 ability, TCJ.

It feels really bad/awkward to use. For being such a fast/mobile class, having an ability that essentially roots you into place and forces you to stop your entire rotation is out of place. Now realize that you aren't actually rooted, but if you move the ability ends which defeats the purpose of spending that 80 Ninki. And in addition to hitting TCJ to make it all work you are pressing a sequence of 6 keys (3 mudras followed by 3 Ninjutsus).

You essentially will do one of 2 different combinations.

You hit TCJ and then it's Ten > Ninjutsu (Fuma) > Chi > Ninjutsu (Raiton) > Jin > Ninjutsu (Suiton)
    or if you know you will have the boss able to be stationary for the duration of Doton: Jin (Fuma) > Ten (Katon) > Chi (Doton)
    I supposed you could do a Huton rotation as well, but that loses out on a lot of damage from the final Ninjutsu as all the potencies are doubled.

If they wanted to make it a little better, they would let you move while using Ten Chi Jin. Or change it all together.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2017-11-02 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yiazmat has to be in the Ivalice raid at some point.
    Please, no. No no. No no no nooooooooooooooo! Not this. Anything but this! I have nightmares from fighting Yiazmat the first time around. The first time I killed him it took me around a week of fighting him in 1 hour to 90 minute bursts.

Admitedly it was easier when I got the stratergy down and optimised for subsequent kills, even getting it down all the way to 90 minute mark as a personal best, but it was still an excessively long boss fight in the original release of FF12. If you didn't spend a week fighting him, it was because you spent a week getting all of the gear you needed to kill him faster.

It's nothing like as bad in the Zodiac Edition however, where removing the damage cap to Yiazmat and removal of the damage limit amongst other changes make it much faster, usually under 10 minutes even without increasing the game speed, but I still have nightmares about that one boss that took a week to kill.

Real talk though, it just wouldn't be an Ivalice raiding theme without Yiazmat is just wrong. He's by far one of the most notorious boss fights in history of gaming because of how long he takes to kill - His inclusion is almost a requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    The Ninki spenders Bhavacakra, Hellfrog Medium, and Ten Chi Jin are all oGCD. The first two are pretty cool. And then there is your level 70 ability, TCJ.

It feels really bad/awkward to use. For being such a fast/mobile class, having an ability that essentially roots you into place and forces you to stop your entire rotation is out of place. Now realize that you aren't actually rooted, but if you move the ability ends which defeats the purpose of spending that 80 Ninki. And in addition to hitting TCJ to make it all work you are pressing a sequence of 6 keys (3 mudras followed by 3 Ninjutsus).

You essentially will do one of 2 different combinations.

You hit TCJ and then it's Ten > Ninjutsu (Fuma) > Chi > Ninjutsu (Raiton) > Jin > Ninjutsu (Suiton)
    or if you know you will have the boss able to be stationary for the duration of Doton: Jin (Fuma) > Ten (Katon) > Chi (Doton)
    I supposed you could do a Huton rotation as well, but that loses out on a lot of damage from the final Ninjutsu as all the potencies are doubled.

If they wanted to make it a little better, they would let you move while using Ten Chi Jin. Or change it all together.
    TCJ, from my outside-looking-in perspective, makes little sense with rooting the NIN in place. I've seen many a NIN either eat an AoE or lose their nifty cd ability due to having to move. If the ability simply was a buff that allowed the execution of the abilities as it currently stands, then it wouldn't be as annoying. At the very least, let it function like Ley Lines, allowing movement within a small area while still retaining the buff.

Although the Elemental Archfiends would be an obvious choice for bosses/primals, I would hope you fight them all at once or at least in pairs to keep them from feeling like the original elemental primals redux.

I'd also like to see a really difficult Magus Sisters fight. That and (even if it's far off in 5/6.X) a Lunar Subterrane 24 man would be pretty cool.

Don't think I didn't feel a bit dirty for saying "Fuck it, not worth arguing with this turd" and simply continuing to plod along, because now that person's a step closer to more creation gear, so higher ilvl, which theoretically lets them access more stuff...like Rabanastre. So yeah, someone else may have done the exact same thing on Primal last week and now you reap the "benefits" of such a turd in your 24 man.

The opening lines of Answers seems all-too appropriate at times in this game. Part of me laughs at this idea, while part of me weeps.
    @Wrecktangle too

Been focusing on leveling Summoner this past week and had extra time to kill (home from work, sick) so decided to do dungeon spam for xp after exhausting all roulettes, beast tribe quests and hunt bills. During the level 63-64 range it's Shisui of the Violet Tides. Normally, this place is great because you can do big pulls and just mow everything down because the classes start to get their toolkits at ~64 and SMN is no exception to that. It's the last dungeon run I need to hit 65 and be done with the place and I join a PF group with a tank and no healer and we decide to queue. Random Scholar pops in, first name Twinkle...don't remember his last. We're forced to do small pulls because the SCH, for whatever reason seems absolutely incapable of casting ANYTHING until the tank is at like 20% and even then only casts the AoE heal when Swiftcast is up, seemingly refuses to cast any heals whatsoever on the DRK tank with a Living Dead emote telling the healer to heal before dropping dead, doesn't DPS at all, and goes 5-10 seconds at a time without casting a heal so I end up having to throw in as many Physik spells my little underpowered healing SMN can push out, while only using Tri-Disaster and Bane to spread my DoTs because if I stop casting for even 2 GCDs the tank drops to dangerously low HP where he could get one shot by a random crit or something. And, saving Swiftcast for the inevitable tank or healer death (because he also seemed incapable of keeping even himself alive). We somehow make it to the last boss and proceed to wipe 4 times before I finally say something about how few heals he's casting, only using Swiftcast to do the big heal and RUNNING TO THE EDGE OF THE ARENA TO CAST HIS PBAoE SPELL....so he's the only one who gets hit by it. I've leveled all three tanks, Red Mage and White Mage through that dungeon and never realized that boss was so AoE healing intensive...because it's really not if you actually cast your fucking spells.

Throughout the entire run, the SCH didn't say anything, not one word. After being given constructive criticism, with very little hate in the verbiage used, we destroyed the last boss, I ding 65 and pass out for the night because it was WAY past normal bed time bud damnit I wanted my level so I wasn't going to bail on a group I knew could pull it off if the healer just got his head out of his ass. After the dungeon ends, we get out of the group, all three of us say in party chat at the exact same time "holy shit that healer was garbage." I didn't care enough to look, but apparently the tank did and saw that Scholar was the only class this character had above level 1 indicating he bought the boost. That has been my first and only interaction with someone who bought a boost and sucked that badly. But as I've said before, I believe this person would have sucked at his class anyway even without the boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    @Wrecktangle too

Been focusing on leveling Summoner this past week and had extra time to kill (home from work, sick) so decided to do dungeon spam for xp after exhausting all roulettes, beast tribe quests and hunt bills. During the level 63-64 range it's Shisui of the Violet Tides. Normally, this place is great because you can do big pulls and just mow everything down because the classes start to get their toolkits at ~64 and SMN is no exception to that. It's the last dungeon run I need to hit 65 and be done with the place and I join a PF group with a tank and no healer and we decide to queue. Random Scholar pops in, first name Twinkle...don't remember his last. We're forced to do small pulls because the SCH, for whatever reason seems absolutely incapable of casting ANYTHING until the tank is at like 20% and even then only casts the AoE heal when Swiftcast is up, seemingly refuses to cast any heals whatsoever on the DRK tank with a Living Dead emote telling the healer to heal before dropping dead, doesn't DPS at all, and goes 5-10 seconds at a time without casting a heal so I end up having to throw in as many Physik spells my little underpowered healing SMN can push out, while only using Tri-Disaster and Bane to spread my DoTs because if I stop casting for even 2 GCDs the tank drops to dangerously low HP where he could get one shot by a random crit or something. And, saving Swiftcast for the inevitable tank or healer death (because he also seemed incapable of keeping even himself alive). We somehow make it to the last boss and proceed to wipe 4 times before I finally say something about how few heals he's casting, only using Swiftcast to do the big heal and RUNNING TO THE EDGE OF THE ARENA TO CAST HIS PBAoE SPELL....so he's the only one who gets hit by it. I've leveled all three tanks, Red Mage and White Mage through that dungeon and never realized that boss was so AoE healing intensive...because it's really not if you actually cast your fucking spells.

Throughout the entire run, the SCH didn't say anything, not one word. After being given constructive criticism, with very little hate in the verbiage used, we destroyed the last boss, I ding 65 and pass out for the night because it was WAY past normal bed time bud damnit I wanted my level so I wasn't going to bail on a group I knew could pull it off if the healer just got his head out of his ass. After the dungeon ends, we get out of the group, all three of us say in party chat at the exact same time "holy shit that healer was garbage." I didn't care enough to look, but apparently the tank did and saw that Scholar was the only class this character had above level 1 indicating he bought the boost. That has been my first and only interaction with someone who bought a boost and sucked that badly. But as I've said before, I believe this person would have sucked at his class anyway even without the boost.
    "...tell us why we must suffer..."

While I won't outright dismiss the possibility of that person being a boost buyer, it's entirely possible to stick to just one combat job for everything if you wish. If anything, that one sounds like a Netflix healer. That shit may fly in Sastasha, but you at least have to push buttons in Shisui instead of letting the fairy do all the healing.

Talk about a waste of a SCH, though; they could at least match the tank on dps with how you can pull big in that place and not have tanks explode like they would in Bardam's and beyond.

"...tell us why we must suffer..."

While I won't outright dismiss the possibility of that person being a boost buyer, it's entirely possible to stick to just one combat job for everything if you wish. If anything, that one sounds like a Netflix healer. That shit may fly in Sastasha, but you at least have to push buttons in Shisui instead of letting the fairy do all the healing.

Talk about a waste of a SCH, though; they could at least match the tank on dps with how you can pull big in that place and not have tanks explode like they would in Bardam's and beyond.
    True I suppose, main point being the person was terrible at their job. We were all thinking about kicking them for harassment, but were worried we'd get stuck with no healer for a LONG time and we just wanted to be done with it.

I've had Scholars that phone it in all the time, with them relying on their fairies for a lot more than they should, but at least they still get the healing job done, they just don't DPS at all....which sucks, but I can live with that (literally). This guy rarely had his fairy out, and when he did it was dying all the time, and only ever used Physik to heal, never Succor and only cast Adloquium (sp?) when Swiftcast was available to use. And his play style didn't change at all until we commented on it after our fourth wipe. Typically I'd expect players to learn from their own mistakes and be able to identify when they're not performing well and adjust accordingly. Nothing huge, mind you, just enough to where it wasn't blatantly obvious to everyone that you were terrible at your job. It could have been a Netflix and kill kind of player, though...but as a healer that's just unacceptable. To me it's unacceptable period, but healers especially need to be on their toes since they have the most reactive job of the three roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    To me it's unacceptable period, but healers especially need to be on their toes since they have the most reactive job of the three roles.
    I expect people to be bad in POTD, but I had a real gem earlier this week, a WHM who just completely ignored a dead party member and sat at the Cairn. I finally called them out, asked if maybe they cared to play their role sometime today and res the dead party member, they tried to make a joke about me chilling out, I snarkily explained that that button marked Cure heals people, and they got all butthurt and left group shortly after. Which I was fine with, saved me the trouble of vote-kicking their useless ass. Only healer I depend on in POTD is my Sustain Pot.

10+ Year Old Account

To commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of FINAL FANTASY XI, the Maiden’s Rhapsody, a special collaboration event, will be returning to FINAL FANTASY XIV. Participate and discover what strange twist of fate brought a hero of Vana'diel to our realm.

* This event is identical to the one previously held in November of 2015. Completed quests cannot be undertaken a second time.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...dens_Rhapsody/

Should be interesting to see what that's like. I tend to give seasonal events a pass, but this one piques my curiosity. On a sidenote, got DRG capped and done, started on SAM. I can definitely see why a lot of MNK players switched over, it feels more rewarding and less rushed since its resources endure a lot longer. Makes me wonder if a MNK revamp is coming later at some point.

Man, looking at the new expansion for WoW makes me appreciate how well an MMO works that doesn't artificially split the player base and pit them against each other. When catastrophe hits Eorzea, we all share in what that means. The new WoW expansion just drives a spear through Forsaken and Night Elf players' hearts and rips every important area away from them. :/

The forced faction split worked early in WoW, but made no sense to me when EQ2 went that route. The storyline Blizzard has built over the last number of expansions makes me think WoW would have benefited from detaching players from their faction military and its politics. Class Order Halls should have set the players back as adventurers apart and independent from whatever war their factions engage in, allowing for that Classic & BC era adventuring/exploration vibe.

One of the reasons I love FFXIV is the player base is, by design of story and world construction, unified in a sense. At the very least, it feels more traditional EQ style to me than the more recent MMOs that must design a PvP element to split the player base and make them antagonistic to one another.

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed myself at Distant Worlds!

The highlight was definitely the opera scene from FF6, for the London showing there was a narrator telling the story behind it between the musical intervals. There must have been about fifteen songs in total, all done beautifully so it’s hard to pick favourites. Not Alone from FF9, Liberi Fatali from FF8, Aeris’ theme from FF7, Flash of Steel from FF12 and Hymn of the Fayth/To Zanarkand were the ones I liked most though!

They also played other songs such as one of the chocobo themes, Searching for Friends from FF6, the Bombing Mission from FF7 - complete with special FF7 Remake footage - and Torn from the Heavens from FF14.

I’m definitely going again next year if it’s in the UK again!

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post

To commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of FINAL FANTASY XI, the Maiden’s Rhapsody, a special collaboration event, will be returning to FINAL FANTASY XIV. Participate and discover what strange twist of fate brought a hero of Vana'diel to our realm.

* This event is identical to the one previously held in November of 2015. Completed quests cannot be undertaken a second time.

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodes...dens_Rhapsody/
    Being that I didn't play this game during 3.1, this event previously occurred at that time, so I'll get to do this stuff this time around.

Kinda wish they would redo the FF13 event, but 1. I think it has already run 2-3 times previously and 2. the rewards are on Mog Station now.

One of the reasons I love FFXIV is the player base is, by design of story and world construction, unified in a sense. At the very least, it feels more traditional EQ style to me than the more recent MMOs that must design a PvP element to split the player base and make them antagonistic to one another.
    That's definitely a plus, and not having World PvP garbage to clog up design and balance elements goes a long way to keeping things running smoothly. I think the way they framed PvP as duels, competitions and military wargames was the way to go, instead of this 'hurr durr we hate each other murder death kill murder death kill' nonsense. I also liked the way they did it in GW 2, with it being framed as invaders from another dimension through the Mists warring with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Not Alone from FF9
    Anyone ever listened to Ertuan's original lyrics for FF songs?

Her version of Answers got some flak and she felt she didn't do it justice because her voice is too weak, but I love the contrast from Calloway's performance. Calloway feels like it's Hydaelyn herself. Erutan's version feels like a bard singing it in a tavern, especially with her instrument choices.

She has more. Chrono Trigger's "To My Dear Friends" is another great one. If you like either of these, definitely check out the rest of her stuff.

Sadly she can't do videos anymore. Something about a muscle spasm affecting her voice and it's gotten weaker and weaker to the point she no longer feels she can sing.
    She still does instrumental stuff on another channel, but it's sad that she's no longer able to do these.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-11-06 at 05:16 PM.

Man, looking at the new expansion for WoW makes me appreciate how well an MMO works that doesn't artificially split the player base and pit them against each other. When catastrophe hits Eorzea, we all share in what that means. The new WoW expansion just drives a spear through Forsaken and Night Elf players' hearts and rips every important area away from them. :/

The forced faction split worked early in WoW, but made no sense to me when EQ2 went that route. The storyline Blizzard has built over the last number of expansions makes me think WoW would have benefited from detaching players from their faction military and its politics. Class Order Halls should have set the players back as adventurers apart and independent from whatever war their factions engage in, allowing for that Classic & BC era adventuring/exploration vibe.

This is an incredibly tough and nuanced discussion because there are players who don't care about factions or pvp at all (FF14 playerbase obviously heavily leans this way). However, some of my best memories in gaming were world PVP against Horde/Alliance (pending which side I was on at the time). That exciting twinge that someone could be sneaking up on me while I'm questing and having to compete for mobs/the quest hub. The need and want to be with a friend in the open world so it isn't as dangerous, etc. Those exciting 2v2 battles against 2 random other players, etc. If you don't enjoy that it's easy to be annoyed at the idea of it, but like I said, some of my best memories in gaming spawned from this type of gameplay.

I love FF14 as much as the next guy here, but it's not because of the playerbase. In fact I can't even stand most of them. They have no pride in themselves as jobs, they have no pride in themselves as what GC they belong too, and they have no pride in their performance. (I'll give credit for race pride tho, cause potatoes/fem roes). These things make it really hard to care about the playerbase because they feel artificial. They don't feel like people to me.

I will tell you then when I play the new expansion I will be PVP flagged 24/7. Because, I personally enjoy that threat. If I get repeatedly killed/ganked/camped etc. I'll toggle it off so I can keep doing my thing. It's actually a pretty good compromise.

Sidebar though:

I saw that WoW is going to be using a procedurally generated island system that has advanced AI/PVP built into it. I am pretty interested in this. It seems literally right up my alley. Enemies will have advanced AI that focuses down low HP players/healers, or runs to grab other trash packs, they'll interrupt and focus CC and other such measures. I'll be curious to see just how this shakes out in the future. As you know I've advocated for systems like this in PVE.

What I am not interested in is losing artifact weapons for BFA greens. I'm also not super keen on their concept of 'keeping classes largely the same' bit they mentioned. I know some people hate classes changing every xpac, but I quite like it, just like I liked not having to chase weapon drops in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    Should be interesting to see what that's like. I tend to give seasonal events a pass, but this one piques my curiosity. On a sidenote, got DRG capped and done, started on SAM. I can definitely see why a lot of MNK players switched over, it feels more rewarding and less rushed since its resources endure a lot longer. Makes me wonder if a MNK revamp is coming later at some point.
    Concerning MNK, I'm seeing similar. Got SAM to 70 a few weeks ago, and currently have NIN at 67. Both seem far more forgiving than MNK; SAM doesn't lose kenki gauge and only has to hit 2-4 buttons to get ramped back up, while NIN can refresh Huton without having a target and a 1-2-Shadow Fang away from having their main debuff back up.

That being said, part of me likes the "gotta go fast" design of MNK...which makes the slowdown effect of Riddle of Fire all the stranger. Makes sense for all of the oGCDs that can be weaved in, though. The lazy way out would be to reduce cd on Perfect Balance...3 min cd for that effect seems long in the tooth for what it is when you "compare" that to other 3+ min cds, which include benediction, living dead, hallowed ground, etc. If they're gonna keep it at 3 mins, make it apply the max stacks immediately; few things suck more than to have PB up but then have to move or whatever so you miss out on that last snap punch or demolish during PB and end up losing all the stacks because you couldn't 1-2-3 quick enough to keep stacks going. Oh, and while we're at it, either make the damage buff from Brotherhood affect the MNK themselves, or (even better) make it apply to all damage so casters aren't left out...or maybe let non-instacast spells add chakra to the MNK. For an effect called Brotherhood, it sure does exclude casters having any sort of synergy with the MNK. Lastly, it gets hit the hardest of all when it comes to missing positionals. I commend anyone who mains MNK and levels it first through an xpac, because any time I've tried dealing with FATE mobs or quest mobs...yuck. I'd rather Fire 4 the fuck out of them, no positional necessary!

Despite my grievances with MNK, it's still my favorite melee to play, although I dare say NIN is vying hard for that spot. Setting up trick attacks at opportune times (Ravana damage taken increased phase, as I did last night while finishing my anima), shadewalker on the tank (which is almost always a guaranteed comm), smokescreen...the utility is so good.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm honestly confused as to what they're trying to accomplish with the narrative there. Disclaimer: Haven't played since WoD.

From the snippets of lore I picked up from Legion, I am under the impression they were working more toward having the two factions united against a common foe, which has been an angle they've had at various points throughout the years. Yet now there is a new xpac looming, and it seems to firmly draw the line between the two factions to where each of them loses a capital city to the other...??? On that note, how is that supposed to work when it comes to new NE/Undead characters? Perhaps these have been answered if I cared to delve into the details (which I may do later, for my own amusement).