10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I got kicked recently because I rezzed a healer from another group (both healers of that group were down, so in my book they had the highest priority) on the second boss in Rabanastre while our own second healer was down. Incoming damage was fairly minimal, so I didn't notice it straight away because I was too focused on other things.

Naturally people started calling me an idiot immediately, when I told them that they have to wait for another swiftcast b/c there was 0 chance of getting a 10s cast through they apparently started raging.

For the record: If people were to stand correctly and grouped up, I could easily solo heal that boss.
    As someone that's had to hardcast a res to get my other healer up, /facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Do what? I’d love to see a screenshot of that if you have it (the death threat). Just as a daily reminder that people are stupid. Names not needed; I don’t have the time nor ever care to witch hunt.
    Alas, most of my screenshots are on my old PC. I was dumb and didn't transfer over my screenshots or anything else when I got a new PC a few months ago so I had to set everything up from scratch which was painful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    As someone that's had to hardcast a res to get my other healer up, /facepalm.
    I still don't see how I can stand around and cast for 10s w/o being forced to either move or rescue some idiots butt that failed to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still don't see how I can stand around and cast for 10s w/o being forced to either move or rescue some idiots butt that failed to move.
    The fairy does things. Fairryyyyyy
    Granted it's not a guaranteed hardcast but hey it happens once in a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The fairy does things. Fairryyyyyy
    Darn cheaters :<

Ugh.

Some mentors really are jerks - signing up to the mentor roulette and then leaving if they get something even remotely difficult.

Granted, I do prefer it when I get something easy like a guildhest through it but last night I ended up with Thornmarch (EX) and a tank, DPS and healer immediately left. I felt bad for those who remained so although I signed up as a RDM I said I'd leave and rejoin. I came back as a PLD, we got another healer and DPS and then after a wipe we managed to get it down.

They really should add a longer penalty for leaving a mentor roulette immediately, though.

The whole mentor roulette mount reward thing remains pretty controversial, and I don't know what SE could ever do about it that's not going to send a flood of tears flying out of the playerbase. They can't eliminate the mount, and making it easier to get weakens the roulette and to some extent the mount's value. However, it does incentivize the highly selfish behavior evinced by those who ditch out the second they get something that, as you say, is even remotely difficult.

Increasing the Deserter debuff could work, but how far can you push that before it starts to negatively impact what mentors are supposed to provide? I guess only SE has the numbers, and as long as those numbers don't suggest otherwise, making the mount reward easier or penalizing leavers harder isn't in the cards. But SE has of course proven itself to be just as fallible as the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Alas, most of my screenshots are on my old PC. I was dumb and didn't transfer over my screenshots or anything else when I got a new PC a few months ago so I had to set everything up from scratch which was painful.
    All the reason I make a backup onto an external drive of all documents/data/etc.

I don't keep a bunch of games installed for that reason too; even if I were to have them on another drive, takes forever to copy them back over.

Besides, I generally only play 1-2 games at a time, maaaaaybe 3 if I'm feeling frisky. Kinda got into a habit of that thanks to the days of much smaller SSD drive capacity.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the reason I make a backup onto an external drive of all documents/data/etc.
    I prefer double redundancy when it comes to backups.
    I mirror my data to a second internal drive and then upload that copy into the cloud as off-site backup.

Sync is initiated manually, so whenever I screw up I can restore from the other drive immediately.

I prefer double redundancy when it comes to backups.
    I mirror my data to a second internal drive and then upload that copy into the cloud as off-site backup.

Sync is initiated manually, so whenever I screw up I can restore from the other drive immediately.
    I'm too paranoid to do cloud backups.

I have 2 externals for back up in addition to the copy that resides on the internal HDD I have (the latter of which frees up my SSD to be nothing but OS + software).

I think that OP there is partially blowing smoke up folk's ass because I've never seen someone booted from a hunt party because of their dps. Only time I've seen or done that was if they went afk and didn't respond when asked if they were back or whatever.
    I agree. I just cannot believe the OP's story. It just doesn't make sense outside of Shinryu. The only way it could/would make sense is if they were just afk leeching (bare minimum like only hitting a few abilities then idling) and someone got mad, in which case they deserve it.

They also mention that it happens frequently and "only" to them. You know my adage, there's a clear common denominator there and it isn't "elitists" or "pro-log asshats".

Same applies to dungeons, honestly; the only time I've ever seen another player give someone shit in a random DF group was maybe 8 months ago, when my friend and I ran an expert roulette and we had a DRG who just started raging at my friend (also a DRG) about dps and "go read the guide" became a running joke between us, because I think that's about the full extent of that guy's vocabulary. Considering my friend was 200-300 dps behind while in ilvl 250ish gear at the time (he had just started playing again after several months away for school) against an ilvl 270 DRG...we just laughed it off.
    One major downside to ACT is its semi-complicated setup. This ends up with people who THINK they have good data, but don't understand what they're reading. He could be reading one pull and seeing your friends DPS is low, or one boss, but on overall he's doing double the total damage, etc.

I've seen and been kicked from dungeons before (more than WoW actually, but that's because the type of dungeons I do, kicking someone is incredibly counterproductive to all parties involved).

It's still rareish, but usually because I get vocal (as nicely as possible) about the SAM who isn't AOEing, or the zDPS healer, even worse when it is a WHM.

I won't go beyond that, though, since I've still gotta clear Shin EX myself. I've got all of maybe a dozen attempts on it, with a fair portion of them being ruined due to DDoS last weekend, weeee.
    This DDoS shit is pretty annoying for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Outside of kicking people who logged out of the game and clearly aren't coming back, I have rarely ever seen people get kicked.
    My experience echo's this. I've seen kicks in DF content, they're not super rare, but they aren't common either.

I got kicked recently because I rezzed a healer from another group (both healers of that group were down, so in my book they had the highest priority) on the second boss in Rabanastre while our own second healer was down. Incoming damage was fairly minimal, so I didn't notice it straight away because I was too focused on other things.

Naturally people started calling me an idiot immediately, when I told them that they have to wait for another swiftcast b/c there was 0 chance of getting a 10s cast through they apparently started raging.

For the record: If people were to stand correctly and grouped up, I could easily solo heal that boss.
    2 Questions:

1) Do your AOE heals hit other alliance members or strictly PT members?

2) I genuinely don't understand the rage in your example. Your party was mad you raised another alliance healer instead of your co-healer who was dead?

If so, they're complete fucking idiots (not surprising it is 24 man). If they want the highest success chance any idiot with a brain could see that raising the alliance healers that have 0 is better way to go.

You probably could have gotten a hard-casted raise off though. You'd just have to time it well (i.e. immediately after an AOE).

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 2 externals for back up in addition to the copy that resides on the internal HDD I have (the latter of which frees up my SSD to be nothing but OS + software).
    *shrug* 1TB SSD here.
    While I wouldn't dump video/Audio data onto it (imho that would just be a decadent waste of expensive hardware, SSD space is reserved for stuff that actually benefits from it), as far as games or installed programs are concerned: I don't need to care.
    Although my system itself is on a 120GB SSD that eventually got too small for OS + 2 MMO clients.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    2 Questions:
    1) Do your AOE heals hit other alliance members or strictly PT members?
    2) I genuinely don't understand the rage in your example. Your party was mad you raised another alliance healer instead of your co-healer who was dead?

If so, they're complete fucking idiots (not surprising it is 24 man). If they want the highest success chance any idiot with a brain could see that raising the alliance healers that have 0 is better way to go.
    You probably could have gotten a hard-casted raise off though. You'd just have to time it well (i.e. immediately after an AOE).
    1)I believe there is no AoE effect/Buff/Debuff that crosses the boundaries of the 8 man party into another. While I do keep an eye on all 24 members (used to it from WoW) I am restricted to single target heals in order to save many a butt from fire.
    2) The rage came because people were playing like cave men, standing EVERYWHERE, despite there being marks. Naturally I cannot keep them alive indefinitely if they force me to use ST heals b/c they refuse to get into AoE range.

Considering though that they spammed me and called me an idiot (remember, we are talking about a time window of less than 30 seconds after the first chat announcement, Swiftcasts CD was about half way through IIRC), I do believe that it was no big loss that they kicked me. Esp since I got a subsequent run that started on the last boss and finished that one in the first pull.

As for the hard cast: no I could not. It was a phase in which I had co constantly move AND save as many behinds as I could (because moving is apparently hard for DPS). Had I hard casted, all of them would have been dead by the time I rezzed our healer.

I agree. I just cannot believe the OP's story. It just doesn't make sense outside of Shinryu. The only way it could/would make sense is if they were just afk leeching (bare minimum like only hitting a few abilities then idling) and someone got mad, in which case they deserve it.

They also mention that it happens frequently and "only" to them. You know my adage, there's a clear common denominator there and it isn't "elitists" or "pro-log asshats".

One major downside to ACT is its semi-complicated setup. This ends up with people who THINK they have good data, but don't understand what they're reading. He could be reading one pull and seeing your friends DPS is low, or one boss, but on overall he's doing double the total damage, etc.

I've seen and been kicked from dungeons before (more than WoW actually, but that's because the type of dungeons I do, kicking someone is incredibly counterproductive to all parties involved).

It's still rareish, but usually because I get vocal (as nicely as possible) about the SAM who isn't AOEing, or the zDPS healer, even worse when it is a WHM.

This DDoS shit is pretty annoying for sure.
    If it's the same one I'm remembering (trying to avoid OF at this point due to how aneurysm-inducing it seems at times), I recall that OP mentioning grey parses, so essentially the worst of the worst. Given the lengths people go on that forum to defend poor play, it comes as no surprise.

ACT being a bit of a PITA to set up is a double-edged sword. If someone really REALLY wants to know combat stats and such, they'll go through the necessary hoops to get it installed and working. At the same time, wouldn't people want that sort of data to be readily accessible? I'm fortunate enough I'm able to set it up on my second monitor, so I use an overlay for it on part of the screen while I keep browser tabs open for things like hunt trackers, XIVDB to look up items, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

*shrug* 1TB SSD here.
    While I wouldn't dump video/Audio data onto it (imho that would just be a decadent waste of expensive hardware, SSD space is reserved for stuff that actually benefits from it), as far as games or installed programs are concerned: I don't need to care.
    Although my system itself is on a 120GB SSD that eventually got too small for OS + 2 MMO clients.
    I have a 512 gb SSD now, yet I'm still a scrooge when it comes to drive space.

Even funnier: I still, to this day, will not use a custom wallpaper. Nothing but a blank black background. This stems from the old adage years ago that having a custom background would eat up VRAM that could be used in games or elsewhere. Considering I have a card that has more VRAM than many PCs have actual RAM, it's comical...

On the AoE heals note: Yup, they won't apply to people in other alliances, otherwise AoE heals would be brokenly powerful and we'd have "healers" who do nothing but spam AoE heals because that would get them through on 24 man raids.

Sidenote: Stolas is hilarious to solo. 'I put you to sleep! I awaken you! I put you to sleep! I awaken you!'

So far, the sidequest stories have been okay. I'd mostly forgotten the Fringes and Peaks low-level cos I did a bunch of them while trying to get past the Raublock. The Ruby Sea ones were decent, the chain around Isari Village was interesting, I enjoyed the low-level Yanxia ones and the way they tied together. I notice they're pushing more of these 'you will get no assistance from the map' quests. Okay, Internet says I don't need that anyway, I just need to tab to a search engine for the answer. I guess some people find that 'figure it out' shit fun; I don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could not live w/o my Draenei on my Desktop. She sits there since 2008 and keeps me company.

On the AoE heals note: Yup, they won't apply to people in other alliances, otherwise AoE heals would be brokenly powerful and we'd have "healers" who do nothing but spam AoE heals because that would get them through on 24 man raids.
    Haha, imagine that threat generation when doing overheal.

Or if they were intentionally holding the group back. Say... Only spamming flash as a tank. Either way, I've found that I am more likely to get kicked for overperforming in a group than underperforming in FF14. Was kicked from a DF group twice over the weekend, once for having the nerve to switch off my tank stance in Brayflox's Longstop, and second for daring to DPS as a healer in Temple of the Fist.

The tank DPS thread was a good laugh, though it does raise a point of contention I've had with FF14's community. That there's a definate segment of the population that is staunchly anti-elitist to the point they'll attack anyone else who's putting even the slightest bit of effort into succeding at the content. I suspect it's because they want to get away with being carried through content, though I've not really got anything to back that up with other than a gut feeling.

I could not live w/o my Draenei on my Desktop. She sits there since 2008 and keeps me company.

Haha, imagine that threat generation when doing overheal.
    I forget the exact syntax of macros in this game, but to give the idea of how that goes:

/cast Largesse
    /cast Medica 2
    /playdead
    /jkactuallydead

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Or if they were intentionally holding the group back. Say... Only spamming flash as a tank. Either way, I've found that I am more likely to get kicked for overperforming in a group than underperforming in FF14. Was kicked from a DF group twice over the weekend, once for having the nerve to switch off my tank stance in Brayflox's Longstop, and second for daring to DPS as a healer in Temple of the Fist.

The tank DPS thread was a good laugh, though it does raise a point of contention I've had with FF14's community. That there's a definate segment of the population that is staunchly anti-elitist to the point they'll attack anyone else who's putting even the slightest bit of effort into succeding at the content. I suspect it's because they want to get away with being carried through content, though I've not really got anything to back that up with other than a gut feeling.
    I...don't...understand. It's not uncommon for me to be pushing very close if not topping dps on trash pulls throughout that dungeon (or any of them, for that matter) whenever I run as WHM for expert roulette. If I do that while in a full PUG group, I generally get 2 comms, if not all 3. There's a higher chance of a group wiping due to lack of heals if I'm not dpsing. "Wait, what?", one might ask: If I'm not dpsing when there's no need of healing on anyone, I'm probably nodding off at the keyboard, were I to have to take up the "healers only heal" bullsh-er mantra.

So, who else is excited for Rival Wings tomorrow?

I just hope it doesn't kill off frontlines...I only need 9 more wins to get the Twin Adder horse. ;_;

I...don't...understand.
    In each case, they were complaining about what I was doing. The term "try hard" was even used once. I'm not entirely sure why they had a problem with it, healers DPSing should be something you're used to by the time you hit level 70, and it's not as if I was neglecting to heal them.

In any case, it's an attitude I've been seeing more and more of in FF14 since Stormblood. I'm not sure the two things are entirely related, but nevertheless that has been my experience so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    So, who else is excited for Rival Wings tomorrow?

I just hope it doesn't kill off frontlines...I only need 9 more wins to get the Twin Adder horse. ;_;
    Don't worry, I'm sure the bots will keep a seat warm for you.

I might check it out, we'll see. I'm more thinking forward to 4.2 and finding out where the new Tomestones will be available. If POTD, I'll go back to POTD (again). If not, I'll either do Frontlines or RW.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    In any case, it's an attitude I've been seeing more and more of in FF14 since Stormblood. I'm not sure the two things are entirely related, but nevertheless that has been my experience so far.
    This is a phenomenon you see in all sorts of things. Go far enough in one direction and you wrap back around to the polar opposite. Or to put it another way, hate something hard enough for long enough and you become the very thing you hated in the first place.