I wonder how much content they could have put out if they never even dabbled with housing.

Like yeah it's neat and stuff and I'm quite sure it's a boon to a ton of players, but it HAS to eat up so much of their budget/time/headaches that I wonder the opportunity cost of what we didn't get because of it.

I imagine there's a lot of conflicting discussions points here from the haves/have nots, i.e. those with homes take offense to this notion, and those without could go either way etc.

I would love my own house to decorate in game etc, but I don't spend enough time in game for it to really matter, nor do I have the funds to purchase one.

Consistently one of the most popular features in every MMO that's fully implemented it - EQ2, LotRO, arguably FFXIV.

I'm not sure art assets for housing are eating up additional raids, though. I doubt housing is what delayed Eureka. It also keeps crafting meaningful beyond a few armor sets at the start of a raid tier and hoping one person out there wants the glamour armor you currently have listed.

Now, the implementation model of housing, sure, definitely could have been better and room to improve that, but I honestly don't think we're losing raids because they regularly add items to display in housing areas.

Even with a lull right now, I'll gladly take more variety of things over the same ol' combat content that you'll get in every MMO on the planet ad infinitum.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-12-07 at 02:48 PM.

If anything, it may gobble up some art asset time for furnishings and such, but aside from adding all the Hingan stuff with Shirogane going live, they don't necessarily add massive piles of furniture with each patch. I do like that they add furnishings tied to combat, like the Shinryu wing pic, Titan lamp, Shiva chandilier, etc.

I'd go so far to say if anything is dragging things down right now, it's whatever they're working on in terms of long term solution(s) to glamour. I don't mean that in a negative manner, mind you; I'm a pretty big glam whore here, although it pales to what I had in WoW, where I had virtually every tier set for my shaman stuck away on in my bank (where they still reside, since I haven't logged into WoW since the transmog closet or whatever it's called was added). Ultimate level encounters won't gobble up much dev time, since it looks like they will use art assets that already exist, so it's design and tuning there.

Housing is something that can be added that can keep people of all skill levels occupied. Given some of the housing setups I've seen so-called in-game interior decorators post on Reddit and elsewhere, there's a smidge of skill involved there, in a way. Not the same skill set one needs for raiding, obviously, but some of the stuff people have put together make me ask "why am I such an uncreative dimwit?", but perhaps that's merely a personal problem/deficiency of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Consistently one of the most popular features in every MMO that's fully implemented it - EQ2, LotRO, arguably FFXIV.

I'm not sure art assets for housing are eating up additional raids, though. I doubt housing is what delayed Eureka. It also keeps crafting meaningful beyond a few armor sets at the start of a raid tier and hoping one person out there wants the glamour armor you currently have listed.

Now, the implementation model of housing, sure, definitely could have been better and room to improve that, but I honestly don't think we're losing raids because they regularly add items to display in housing areas.

Even with a lull right now, I'll gladly take more variety of things over the same ol' combat content that you'll get in every MMO on the planet ad infinitum.
    Have to agree. Mmos that provide a decent housing system have always pulled me in more then others, excluding EQ, which was my first mmo, and wow, because, well it was wow.

I like the idea of having my own little place in the world. Specially if theres a good trophy system that lets me show off my accomplishments. EQ2 was my favorite for this. Going back to my house and seeing my heirlooms, or other trophies I acquired, was always a nice cap to my adventures for the day. Giving players a "place" in the world tends to create an attachment that keeps people anchored to the game.

I'm actually a rare case it seems, that I overall, liked the garrison concept in wod. Implementation could have been a little better. I wish they had continued the idea of choosing the building types instead of forcing the orc style. And maybe have carried out the idea choosing your location. And the garrison should have been used as a way to drive you out into the world. I think that was the ultimate failure of the garrison idea. If they had used it to get people out in the world, instead of replacing the world, more people would have seen it in a better light.

I didn't say anything about raids, I stated I was wondering what content we would have had in exchange for housing. I'd bet money they don't have battle content planners working on housing (or other supplementary content forms), that'd be ASININE.

I wonder if we could have had more in-depth/better designed Chocobo Racing, or maybe Blitzball, or maybe the glamour log an expansion ago etc. Maybe LoV that didn't suck etc.

That said, like housing, there's absolutely no guarantee they'd even get the implementation right of these other content forms. You know what's worse than shitty housing implementation? No Housing implementation and a dead on arrival form of Bliztball.

Don't misunderstand my post for hating on housing. I quite like the feature as I mentioned, I just HATE how horribly it is implemented which based on my knowledge has to be a staggering drain on their resources (time/money, etc.) because the design they chose simply isn't scalable or cost effective.

Kinda like Chocobo Racing. I don't hate it, I HATE how they implemented it. Same with Materia.

Like what? What features would you add to tide players over during a lull? Non-combat of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    If anything, it may gobble up some art asset time for furnishings and such, but aside from adding all the Hingan stuff with Shirogane going live, they don't necessarily add massive piles of furniture with each patch. I do like that they add furnishings tied to combat, like the Shinryu wing pic, Titan lamp, Shiva chandilier, etc.

I'd go so far to say if anything is dragging things down right now, it's whatever they're working on in terms of long term solution(s) to glamour. I don't mean that in a negative manner, mind you; I'm a pretty big glam whore here, although it pales to what I had in WoW, where I had virtually every tier set for my shaman stuck away on in my bank (where they still reside, since I haven't logged into WoW since the transmog closet or whatever it's called was added). Ultimate level encounters won't gobble up much dev time, since it looks like they will use art assets that already exist, so it's design and tuning there.

Housing is something that can be added that can keep people of all skill levels occupied. Given some of the housing setups I've seen so-called in-game interior decorators post on Reddit and elsewhere, there's a smidge of skill involved there, in a way. Not the same skill set one needs for raiding, obviously, but some of the stuff people have put together make me ask "why am I such an uncreative dimwit?", but perhaps that's merely a personal problem/deficiency of mine.
    I didn't say it was dragging anything down. I was wondering about what kinds of content we would have had instead, had they never dabbled in housing. No debate as to whether housing is worth it etc. or not. I even mentioned at the end that I LIKE the concept of housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    Have to agree. Mmos that provide a decent housing system have always pulled me in more then others, excluding EQ, which was my first mmo, and wow, because, well it was wow.

I like the idea of having my own little place in the world. Specially if theres a good trophy system that lets me show off my accomplishments. EQ2 was my favorite for this. Going back to my house and seeing my heirlooms, or other trophies I acquired, was always a nice cap to my adventures for the day. Giving players a "place" in the world tends to create an attachment that keeps people anchored to the game.
    I agree entirely, but what I was trying ton convey was not whether housing was worth it, but what COULD have been the opportunity cost given how awful SE's implementation of housing was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decided to install Stormshade sometime ago and today installed another preset, Halo, for it.

Spoiler: 

10+ Year Old Account

There should honestly be a Christmas themed Rival Wings where the mechs are dressed in themed outfits and the towers are replaced with Christmas trees.

And a Christmas version of Metal- Brute Justice.

Would be gnarly to see the mechs in RW decorated with Christmas ornaments.

Semi-related, I'm apparently shit at anything MOBA-related; 0 for a whopping 3 thus far when I've tried RW. At least I like this game mode, at least here; I never was a fan of DotA, nor League or any other sort of games that followed.

4.18 being this time tomorrow, figure I can upgrade to a 340 weapon, assuming this patch follows similar models for .x8 patches in HW. Kinda disappointing since I've yet to find a Shin EX group that can actually clear P1 (and yes, while I am the common factor in all those groups, I can count the number of times I've fucked up in P1 on a single hand). I'll just relegate clearing it to the end of the xpac at this rate.

So Mameshibe..... is it confirmed to be only a Mining venture reward, or can the other gathering ventures get it? Everything I've seen has only said mining.

So Mameshibe..... is it confirmed to be only a Mining venture reward, or can the other gathering ventures get it? Everything I've seen has only said mining.
    I've been sending all of my retainers out during the week on the 18 hour ventures, 0 shibas thus far. Friend of mine got one but don't recall which of his retainers brought it back (and it was a day or two after the patch went live with those added). Maybe one day I can confirm it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I didn't say it was dragging anything down. I was wondering about what kinds of content we would have had instead, had they never dabbled in housing. No debate as to whether housing is worth it etc. or not. I even mentioned at the end that I LIKE the concept of housing.
    Hard to say, really. I would venture a guess that the folks responsible for housing content/design aren't the same ones that work on dungeons, raids, etc. There's likely some interchange between those folks when it comes to who gets the attention of the art team, though. All this being stated under the assumption they have various teams that work on specific portions of the game.

Perhaps there could've been some sort of FC airship system/setup that wasn't tied to housing and allowed access to a Diadem that wasn't such a snooze fest after 2 weeks...one can only dream.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is from a miner retainer only. You can get it both from 18hr ventures and quick ventures.

Koala Joey and Axolotl Eft are also the same, they can be gotten via either the 18hr or quick ventures but can only be brought back by a Botanist (Joey) or Fisher (Eft) retainer.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2017-12-11 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    It is from a miner retainer only. You can get it both from 18hr ventures and quick ventures.

Koala Joey and Axolotl Eft are also the same, they can be gotten via either the 18hr or quick ventures but can only be brought back by a Botanist (Joey) or Fisher (Eft) retainer.
    Well that explains where the hell I got that Axolotl Eft, because I have gotten two of those and never paid attention to what retainer brought them back. Haven't gotten the koala nor the shiba (as previously mentioned).

The only minions I recall obtaining from quick ventures as of late are Bom Boko and Odder Otter.

Well, today's patch makes gearing up a little easier. I really need to push myself to clear Shinryu (EX) and OS1-4 at some point. I've kind of been burned out on high end content for the duration of 4.1, though I guess I can put it down to focusing on adjusting to life on Cerberus rather than life on Balmung.

I really hope the Live Letter teases a lot of new stuff, though...I've mostly been playing other games lately.

That lag last night was unreal.

So much lag that it actually showed me on the loading screen and not in game until it caught up and I was dead. Not to mention the 15% packet loss to the lobby servers. I really wish SE's NOC would pick up the ******* phone and call NTT's NOC and fix this shit.

Had a couple of 90k errors/disconnects last night that nearly triggered PTSD from all the problems I had a couple of weeks ago, but realized it wasn't just me this time when FC folks (as well as a pile of people in my first go at Rabanastre) all redlined on the first boss, leading to a wipe.

Semi-related: I went tank since 2 FC friends were healing. Other two tanks stand at boss with tank stance, while I have grit off. Guess who ends up tanking...

I logged on this past weekend, but only did some crafting stuff. Didn't have lag at all. Hope it sorts out for everyone.

There's a lot of people here on the European servers complaining about lag and connection issues in FFXIV as well now. Definitely seems to be a problem with the game itself...but as usual the tech support team seem to be brushing it off and trying to paint it as FFXIV not being responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    There's a lot of people here on the European servers complaining about lag and connection issues in FFXIV as well now. Definitely seems to be a problem with the game itself...but as usual the tech support team seem to be brushing it off and trying to paint it as FFXIV not being responsible.
    To be fair, if there are problems and SE isn't willing to do much to try and resolve those problems, tech support is better off passing the buck than saying 'We're having issues, we admit it, but there's not much we can do to fix them'. Cos people will tend to believe what they're told and defend those telling it rather than question it.

Ya'll ready for a flying christmas bear mount this weekend?