10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Yeah i ramble on it more here: https://theeorzeanfrontier.blogspot....nder-pale.html but i think part of the outcry is probably because of all the recent articles talking about Yoshi only having one or two expansions left before he leaves and someone new takes over. Maybe that new person is more into the konami line of thinking than Yoshi and sees 'funpay minibuys' as a perfect addition to a money farm? not my opinion but i can see the worry being there.
    Sorry for the late reply. (Still need to make time to respond to Wrecks thread too.)

Here's my 2 cents, Yoshida will stay on the project as long as he is able too. Clearly the game is a passion of his. However he has openly stated that he will always do what is best for the company and do what they need.

When one of the conditions for accepting a promotion is remaining on your current project I think it's safe to say he does not want to pass on the torch.

Now I fully admit I have not read your blog post yet, so I might just be parroting some of your points right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrowrend View Post
    Yea I read that I need to level up to Heavensguard to unlock Dark Knight. I decided to level gladiator/paladin first so I will have two different tanks (SnS and 2H).

Small question about classes/jobs - how they are work? I mean playing as gladiator I will get option to roll into paladin. It isn't possible to stay gladiator?
    To further elaborate on Kaelwryn above me, think of it as an evolution instead of changing what you are playing.

Gladiator is an interesting case because outside of flash you really don't get any White magic like the traditional Paladin. This might be because the the job fantasy of the PLD was to mix sword mastery with shield mastery. (Also if I am not mistaken the Job is called Knight in the Japaness version.) However self healing and group defensive magic starts to show up heavily from 50-70.

I like to use WAR as the prime example of class to job evolution since I am biased. Where all the base combos are the same with Marauder and WAR abilities gained are the Stances, a few CDs. (Actually as of 4.2's reworks Inner Releaee is an evolved version of Berserk fitting more with the idea of being the base job+) and abilities that spend the resources those stances give you.

TL: DR

Jobs tend to focus on new aspect the base Class lacks.
    Last edited by Melsiren; 2018-04-17 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrowrend View Post
    Yea I read that I need to level up to Heavensguard to unlock Dark Knight. I decided to level gladiator/paladin first so I will have two different tanks (SnS and 2H).

Small question about classes/jobs - how they are work? I mean playing as gladiator I will get option to roll into paladin. It isn't possible to stay gladiator?
    That's correct (technically you can keep playing gladiator, but you'll not get any abilities, etc. after 30).

Basically you get a class to 30 and it unlocks the job. You used to need two classes up (main to 30 and sub to 15) to unlock the job that merged aspects from the two. They removed that to streamline it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    That's correct (technically you can keep playing gladiator, but you'll not get any abilities, etc. after 30).

Basically you get a class to 30 and it unlocks the job. You used to need two classes up (main to 30 and sub to 15) to unlock the job that merged aspects from the two. They removed that to streamline it a bit.
    Just to clarify, make sure you keep doing your Class quests (you'll get one every 5 levels) to unlock certain skills as well as the continuation of becoming the actual Job later (Jobs added from HW onward don't have base classes, they axed that).

Also, the DRK class storyline is one of the best in the game, be sure and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    The odd thing is, Final Fantasy is a brand that is loaded with excellent opportunites for Squenix to make easy money.

Although they're a bit late to the party, a Final Fantasy MOBA would have been something unique I expect. Pick your favourite character, from anyone across the entire franchise, pick your lane and go have fun.

Or a Dissidia crossover. Crossovers have been a staple in Fighting Games for a long time now, and I bet some of the smaller companies like Lab Zero or Arc would just love to get some of their characters sharing the screen with iconic FF characters. It's not as if Noctis isn't already in Tekken anyway, come up with a bullshit reason and lets make it happen.

Squenix also seem to forget that they're sat on a ton of valuable IP's outside of Final Fantasy too. A well made sequel to Chrono Trigger would be a license to print money. More parasite eve, too please. They're just too rooted in that mindset where they're trying to make the most out of what is popular right now to see what they could cash in on a lot of smaller more niche projects with the FF IP.
    Here's my issue with SE. They have good ideas, but some of the most needlessly complex or downright awful implementations.

I mean look at Dissidia. I love fighting games and I love FF. Yet, when they're combined. It's an awful gameplay experience. Combat is floaty and shallow. Story mode was criminal. I didn't buy it because I tried the beta and was bored immediately. I told myself if they announced Beatrix/Agrias as DLC, I'd buy it though.

I'd definitely try out a FF Moba, but I'd have 0 faith it wouldn't just end up being MasterxMaster aka some never heard of shut down a week later MOBA.

Honestly, I'd just like SE to call up ASW and say, we saw what you did for DBFZ. Can you do the same for us? Make us a good game please.

Speaking strictly personally here - look at Persona 5. It's not revolutionary, it's just simply extremely well made extension of the existing series. Take what works, amp it up, polish a few spots, and boom.

That's what SE needs to do. They need to stop whatever fads they're chasing with FF and say, let's take FF9, polish up the turn based combat (find ways to bring whole party in, a la Mana Khemia or FFX, add some more style, depth, etc.), make some cool new fun and deep characters and throw it in a zany save the world plot.

Deleted
    To the guy asking about DRK/BDK then no, not really. Tanks are different than WoW, the entire game is different than WoW. The thing closest to BDK would be WAR (self healing tank) but nothing works like it does in WoW where you won't need healing :P

With that said, DRK is crap right now and is getting changes for 4.3, we will have to see what they are though.. Right now PLD and WAR are the tanks you use, Im sure DRKs get to play but often they get filtered out in the PF in any tryhard / half decent party. With that said, DRK can clear all the content just fine.
    Last edited by mmoc96f3bf9e48; 2018-04-18 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Here's my issue with SE. They have good ideas, but some of the most needlessly complex or downright awful implementations.
    This. So much this. Squenix just can't, or won't, do simple. Especially where Final Fantasy is concerned. They've got a track record of extremely long, expensive, development processes that end up over promising and under delivering. The last time they made a Final Fantasy title that had very clear design goals and managed to hit them was FF10. Development on 10 started almost twenty years ago!

That's what SE needs to do. They need to stop whatever fads they're chasing with FF and say, let's take FF9, polish up the turn based combat (find ways to bring whole party in, a la Mana Khemia or FFX, add some more style, depth, etc.), make some cool new fun and deep characters and throw it in a zany save the world plot.
    The series has constantly tried to be bigger and better. While in some ways thats admirable, it's ultimately unsustainable. Since 12, the series has gone completely off the rails. 12 had a troubled development, 13 was a trainwreck, 14 needed a complete do-over and 15 had a stupidly long development cycle and the constant changes in direction really show.

Bravely Default on the other hand was a surprise success. It might not have the brand recognition of Final Fantasy, but it certainly delivered on the gameplay that people wanted. Squenix could deliver hundreds of titles like this for the time and money it takes them to make a single Final Fantasy.

Honestly, I think the Final Fantasy series needs to go on a hiatus at this point. It's been nothing but a money pit in terms of its development. Focus on smaller projects on the side, allow people to get back to the kinds of games that made your company successful in the first place. Make more Bravely Defaults, Chrono Triggers, and FF Tactics. Really get back to the roots of Final Fantasy and figure out what it is people loved about them.

Come back in 5-10 years with a solid vision of what the series should be going forwards, and a solid plan for making that a reality.

Honestly, I'd just like SE to call up ASW and say, we saw what you did for DBFZ. Can you do the same for us? Make us a good game please.
    I would pay them any amount of money for this. I'd be throwing money at my monitor for a Guilty Gear x Final Fantasy crossover. I want to see Baiken doing those horrible Baiken things to Lightning, Snow and Noctis' entire boyband.

Though, would Arc even go for it? They've been killing it with Rev2 and DBFZ recently. They even ousted Marvel vs Capcom from Evo. BlazBlue Cross Tag is looking, and playing, awesome although I can see it's DLC model causing problems later on down the line. They're definately getting the recognition they deserve at the moment.

I don't always agree with what Arc do, but they're extremely good at getting shit done, I'll give them that. I wonder if at this point being tied to the FF brand would actually harm them, given how Squenix tends to over-complicate even the simplest of tasks when FF is involved? Too much meddling in the development would slow things up and could potentially ruin the excelent gameplay Arc consistently deliver on.

10+ Year Old Account
    For kicks, we just did Amdapor (ruins) with the "scale to minimum Item level" active. What an interesting experience, definitely reminiscent of the days when I was a fresh lv 50.

Man its odd to say so soon but i really kind of miss ARR. Seeing legacy players in relic gear was like seeing players in molten core gear in vanilla WoW. Leaving before a coil boss as i just got the tomes to finish my Stardust Rod and significantly increase my dps to come back and have us clear a dps wall was my first great raiding experience in XIV and i loved the endgame experience going through all the dungeons and unlocks. It was like BC attunements with far less horseshit.

I wonder if ten years from now people will be pushing for private ARR servers and 'how the game used to be with a small number of jobs' or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if ten years from now people will be pushing for private ARR servers and 'how the game used to be with a small number of jobs' or something?
    Considering I personally already feel that adding the third tank and healer caused issues I can 100% guarantee people will.

Unless there's a major change in both community perception of the Meta and a shift in design philosophy I can't help but feel adding more of anything won't end up with 8 good jobs and <insert number here> bad jobs.

But who knows maybe ff14 team will prove me wrong and surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

I feel there's a lot of group utility that should end up role utility to promote more diversity in party comps, but you'll still have the spreadsheet players to compute out max DPS and that'll still be the meta. You can lead a player to parties but you can't stop groupthink.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Considering I personally already feel that adding the third tank and healer caused issues I can 100% guarantee people will.

Unless there's a major change in both community perception of the Meta and a shift in design philosophy I can't help but feel adding more of anything won't end up with 8 good jobs and <insert number here> bad jobs.

But who knows maybe ff14 team will prove me wrong and surprise me.
    I think the job system is a good opportunity to experiment. Like take eureka, maybe that style of content becomes the norm each expansion and they make a new job thats good that like a Geomancer thats not so good for raiding? since you can swap on the fly and are never locked in they have more room to experiment and there are a lot of jobs like Puppet Master that has a audience that wants it regardless of how it plays in a traditional sense. I know i never got into RDM purely for dps reasons. I levelled it first because i played a RDM in XI and i liked the job in the series as a whole. I think that mindset should allow them for more experimental stuff.

Trouble of course is if they made something like a job designed for pvp how do you do that without it becoming too good and 'meta' and then it unbalances pvp? its a tough balancing act but in a game where you can go "okay im going to stop being a black mage and be a carpenter who in no way shape or form can do what the black mage does" i think theres room for different styles of job that break the traditional mmo dynamic.

Fortunately FF14 made the wise decision to segregate PvP and PvE, allowing them to balance and configure classes to work well in both environments without compromising either side for balance reasons. I remember what a nightmare Guild Wars turned into back in the day with the constant tuning and re-tuning, skills ruined in PvE for PvP reasons, until they finally wised up and separated them.

The series has constantly tried to be bigger and better. While in some ways thats admirable, it's ultimately unsustainable. Since 12, the series has gone completely off the rails. 12 had a troubled development, 13 was a trainwreck, 14 needed a complete do-over and 15 had a stupidly long development cycle and the constant changes in direction really show.
    I hate to reuse the persona example, but I feel it really is the best possible example to drive my point home. I look at Persona 3, 4 and now 5 and I see some of the most critically acclaimed JRPGs around. 4 improves on some issues with 3, and 5 improves on 4. The core systems of the games are the same though. You can have people arguing about which cast and which plot is the best, but they all had good gameplay. The GFX get better, but they don't need to be amped to 20 to be good, SE needs to learn that. Honestly they should have nearly 10 years ago with FF13, but I digress.

Bravely Default on the other hand was a surprise success. It might not have the brand recognition of Final Fantasy, but it certainly delivered on the gameplay that people wanted. Squenix could deliver hundreds of titles like this for the time and money it takes them to make a single Final Fantasy.
    I don't do mobile gaming, so I missed out on BD entirely, but I have heard plenty of good about it.

Another good example is Nier Automata. It was a great game, but it had some issues (mainly combat, too much style, not enough substance). If they can create a new game with equally impactful plot/characters/music and polish up the gameplay it'll be another big hit. They don't need to reinvent the wheel here.

Honestly, I think the Final Fantasy series needs to go on a hiatus at this point. It's been nothing but a money pit in terms of its development. Focus on smaller projects on the side, allow people to get back to the kinds of games that made your company successful in the first place. Make more Bravely Defaults, Chrono Triggers, and FF Tactics. Really get back to the roots of Final Fantasy and figure out what it is people loved about them.
    I'm going to rant briefly on FF7R for a second. FF7 was a pivotal RPG to me personally as it was during my formative years. They don't need to switch to a modern FF15/CC styled combat system. They can still use turnbased and improve upon the formula. Something like Mana Khemia would be a wishlist item for me. This way you can use more of the cast in every day combat and they can add some breadth of combat mechanics and decision making in combat, but still stay true to the core experience. That's really about all they need to update. They don't need ATEs, or gimmicks, or fads.

Just remake the game in a modern engine with good GFX, remaster the music, update the combat system to a more robust turn based variant, retune enemies/encounters/materia, keep the world map and polish it up, voice act and give options to switch on the fly between languages for those that like that, etc.

I would pay them any amount of money for this. I'd be throwing money at my monitor for a Guilty Gear x Final Fantasy crossover. I want to see Baiken doing those horrible Baiken things to Lightning, Snow and Noctis' entire boyband.

Though, would Arc even go for it? They've been killing it with Rev2 and DBFZ recently. They even ousted Marvel vs Capcom from Evo. BlazBlue Cross Tag is looking, and playing, awesome although I can see it's DLC model causing problems later on down the line. They're definately getting the recognition they deserve at the moment.

I don't always agree with what Arc do, but they're extremely good at getting shit done, I'll give them that. I wonder if at this point being tied to the FF brand would actually harm them, given how Squenix tends to over-complicate even the simplest of tasks when FF is involved? Too much meddling in the development would slow things up and could potentially ruin the excelent gameplay Arc consistently deliver on.
    For me, I'd be repping my girl Beatrix maulin whoever came. Or maybe Kuja.

I think Arc would be down for anything tbh. I hope that SE isn't so laden with hubris that it would step on their toes. Arc's shown they know how to respect source material and toe the line autonomously.

I'm going to rant briefly on FF7R for a second. FF7 was a pivotal RPG to me personally as it was during my formative years. They don't need to switch to a modern FF15/CC styled combat system. They can still use turnbased and improve upon the formula.
    I'll be honest, I thought FF 15 was a let down. I was fine with the idea of a road trip where you get up to stupid misadventures with your friends.

I wanted to run over Chocobo's and turn them into curry (yes, I am a monster). I wanted to drive my car over crazy ramps, smash into Behemoths and generally see what the game would let me get away with. Turns out they placed strict limits on that kind of freedom, which really hampered the kind of experience they were able to deliver.

They promised a huge sprawling open world, full of adventure, story and hanging out with your bros. What they delivered was a world that was mostly full of empty space, voice stabs and product placement - for products which aren't even on sale in the UK no less! Squenix followed the open world trend and, fundamentally, delivered us an on-rails story with MMO like side content. They failed at delivering on that boys being boys roadtrip they were offering imo.

But it highlights everything I think Squenix has been doing wrong. Massively long develpment cycle, over promising and under delivering and perhaps most importantly, missing the mark on what makes their game appealing.

The FF7 remake is going to be the same way. Squenix are going to promise us the world with it, and end up being unable to deliver on it. They're going to muck about with a completely winning idea trying to "modernise" it, without realising the nostalgia is what's going to sell the product. I know I say this a lot, but Squenix really are massively out of touch with what their audience wants.

That is, if it ever gets delivered. Pretty sure they've going to show us the same trailer for it at gaming Expo's for 2-3 more years before finally announcing they're porting it to a new engine, starting from scratch and rewriting the whole thing. The company as a whole has serious project management issues.

I think Arc would be down for anything tbh. I hope that SE isn't so laden with hubris that it would step on their toes. Arc's shown they know how to respect source material and toe the line autonomously.
    That's true, but Arc are doing very well with their own titles at the moment, I'm not too sure what they'd be getting out of the arrangement. I mean, other than another game on the market, but they're already pumping out games at an alarming rate anyway.

I'll be honest, I thought FF 15 was a let down. I was fine with the idea of a road trip where you get up to stupid misadventures with your friends.
    Not even a let down honestly, FF13 was a let down. FF15 was an unmitigated disaster. Weapons were irrelevant, combat was incredibly boring and one dimensional, the plot, and time skip was probably the most jarring thing I've ever experienced in a AAA title, ever.

The thing is, conceptually the villain was actually brilliant, but good god the implementation was awful.

I could have dealt with the boy band thing. I really could have, but when you have a game with awful gameplay mechanics, awful characters, and an awful plot? What's left? graphics? Been there done that SE... You should have known better.

They promised a huge sprawling open world, full of adventure, story and hanging out with your bros. What they delivered was a world that was mostly full of empty space, voice stabs and product placement - for products which aren't even on sale in the UK no less! Squenix followed the open world trend and, fundamentally, delivered us an on-rails story with MMO like side content. They failed at delivering on that boys being boys roadtrip they were offering imo.
    You know playing through it, I thought to myself this is kinda neat, it'll be cool to see the other sections of the world map and explore those.

And then the ending credits rolled and I was like wait WHAT? Not only that, but like you said, that shit was simply empty.

That's true, but Arc are doing very well with their own titles at the moment, I'm not too sure what they'd be getting out of the arrangement. I mean, other than another game on the market, but they're already pumping out games at an alarming rate anyway.
    They actually just announced a JRPG they're making. I'll probably check it out. I'm in one hell of a game hole at moment.

FF14 is over for me. Eureka doesn't interest me, and sigmascape's been done for over a month. I'm just waiting for Ultimate at this point (going to actually go for it since they mentioned they wanted to tone down the length). However, if we hit a wall, we all agreed that we'll take a break until the next raid rather than burn out.

I have BFA in August, but that's still 4 months out. Only thing I have to look forward to is DS1 remaster (never played it before).

I wanted to run over Chocobo's and turn them into curry (yes, I am a monster). I wanted to drive my car over crazy ramps, smash into Behemoths and generally see what the game would let me get away with. Turns out they placed strict limits on that kind of freedom, which really hampered the kind of experience they were able to deliver.

But it highlights everything I think Squenix has been doing wrong. Massively long develpment cycle, over promising and under delivering and perhaps most importantly, missing the mark on what makes their game appealing.

The FF7 remake is going to be the same way. Squenix are going to promise us the world with it, and end up being unable to deliver on it. They're going to muck about with a completely winning idea trying to "modernise" it, without realising the nostalgia is what's going to sell the product. I know I say this a lot, but Squenix really are massively out of touch with what their audience wants.

That is, if it ever gets delivered. Pretty sure they've going to show us the same trailer for it at gaming Expo's for 2-3 more years before finally announcing they're porting it to a new engine, starting from scratch and rewriting the whole thing. The company as a whole has serious project management issues.

Hey man, to be fair they sell cup noodle at sainsburys -and its trash compared to shin cup BIG from asdas world foods import section of korean stuff

Been messing around eureka and i like it when I'm chain mobbing. Following the train is just boring. Wish they did something so smaller groups can do nm too

- - - Updated - - -

oh man I got a lot to catch up on. Gotta do Eureka and then start the new beast tribe quests and the new raids. Then 7.3 is coming and that's got a new dungeon, story quest, deep dungeon, more eureka hmmm

also I have never ever done a hildibred quest or whatever the hell his name is. Where do I start with that?
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    also I have never ever done a hildibred quest or whatever the hell his name is. Where do I start with that?
    It starts with The Rise And Fall Of Gentlemen from Wymond in Ul'dah.

I could have dealt with the boy band thing. I really could have, but when you have a game with awful gameplay mechanics, awful characters, and an awful plot? What's left? graphics? Been there done that SE... You should have known better.
    I got a Lord of the Rings type vibe from the announcements myself. The Boy Band thing gets a lot of flak, but I don't think the idea was terrible. LotR is basically Frodo and his three closest friends going on a journey to save the world. It would be an ideal lens to examine themes of male friendship, and how the characters grow and develop together from the struggles they face. Predictably however, Squenix dropped the ball on it.

Where Squenix have consistently been dropping the ball however has been on gameplay. Ever since they've tried going for weird hybrid turnbased and real time battles they've ended up with strange, awkward combat. In my opinion, they nailed how that would play with FF12, where every action has it's own charge and recovery time that activates in real time. It was basically FF4's ATB system in a fully 3D world. I know it wasn't to everyones tastes, but I liked it. Each boss was it's own little mini-challenge to optimise for, and the side content forced you to get creative with the game systems as a whole.

FF13 was a complete step backwards, especially with the AI when you consider that they'd nailed it with 12. I always felt that my grip on events was rather loose, like the game would prefer me to be involved as little as possible. 15 was even worse, it just ended up being a cartoony ball of limbs and special effects.

If Squenix want to laser focus their games on story telling, thats fine. But at this point I think they should drop most of the game play and go for a more visual novel style of presentation for it. Go crazy with the cutscenes in it too, maybe see if they can one-up Telltale at their own game? If they want to stick to actual games though, they really have got to up their game when it comes to the actual gameplay. They've been constantly having it almost as an afterthought, and that has to change if they want to keep making traditional video games.

They actually just announced a JRPG they're making. I'll probably check it out. I'm in one hell of a game hole at moment.
    Wasn't that an April fools joke? I seem to remember it being announced April 1st. Though I wouldn't put it past them to announce something like this on the 1st just to throw people off.

FF14 is over for me. Eureka doesn't interest me, and sigmascape's been done for over a month. I'm just waiting for Ultimate at this point (going to actually go for it since they mentioned they wanted to tone down the length). However, if we hit a wall, we all agreed that we'll take a break until the next raid rather than burn out.
    I don't find myself playing FF14 much either anymore. Since the SCH and SMN got completely gutted in SB, I've not really found a job that I like playing enough to level all the way to 70. I just don't have the willpower to slog through 50+ levels of dry game play in order to get to the good stuff, and I don't really have the time or the patience to go through all the hoops to re-gear another role. I do keep trying, but I never stick around for long.

I never even got into raiding simply because they dropped the ball on the gameplay this time around. If I'm not enjoying playing my job, raiding is just going to be a dull loot grind at best.

Hey man, to be fair they sell cup noodle at sainsburys -and its trash compared to shin cup BIG from asdas world foods import section of korean stuff
    Do they indeed? Last I checked you could only get Cup Noodles by importing them yourself. Not that I expect much of them, they look strikingly similar to Pot Noodles and are probably just as dirty.
    Last edited by StrawberryZebra; 2018-04-20 at 07:35 PM.

Do they indeed? Last I checked you could only get Cup Noodles by importing them yourself. Not that I expect much of them, they look strikingly similar to Pot Noodles and are probably just as dirty.
    you can but they are like £2-£3 each. The broth is great and it has real tastingmeat thats probably full of perservatives but the noodles are weak and watery, pot noodle and shin cup are better but korean 'mama' brand stuff is the best in uk shops.

/weeb