SAM question, if anyone knows this one...

Few friends and I are farming Rathalos. At the start of the fight, as I head in I hit Third Eye. Rathalos roars for damage.
    This activates Open Eyes, but only Merciful Eyes (self heal) activates for use. Hissatsu: Seigan, which is an attack only usable under Open Eyes and shares a cool down with Merciful Eyes, doesn't trigger as being able to be used.

Any ideas what I'm missing? I rarely remember to use Third Eye since I find it excessively situational and for the most part an utter waste of time, but this opening run is a situation I could make use of it and I'm just scratching my head with Seigan won't activate despite Merciful Eyes doing so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    SAM question, if anyone knows this one...

Few friends and I are farming Rathalos. At the start of the fight, as I head in I hit Third Eye. Rathalos roars for damage.
    This activates Open Eyes, but only Merciful Eyes (self heal) activates for use. Hissatsu: Seigan, which is an attack only usable under Open Eyes and shares a cool down with Merciful Eyes, doesn't trigger as being able to be used.

Any ideas what I'm missing? I rarely remember to use Third Eye since I find it excessively situational and for the most part an utter waste of time, but this opening run is a situation I could make use of it and I'm just scratching my head with Seigan won't activate despite Merciful Eyes doing so.
    Hm, not really a sam player much myself but the only thing i can think of is did you have the kenki to use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Hm, not really a sam player much myself but the only thing i can think of is did you have the kenki to use it?
    .....hahahahahah derp, yeah, it's the start of the fight. That's it!
    I knew I was overlooking something dumb. XD

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comme..._rip_in_peace/

I can't believe her retirement was community news.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never even knew this was a thing! I've missed out!

I remember seeing another RPer similar to Table Cloth, though. A Lalafell named Door Stop that just sat at one of the doors of the inn, looking as if she was holding it open. I approve!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I never even knew this was a thing! I've missed out!

I remember seeing another RPer similar to Table Cloth, though. A Lalafell named Door Stop that just sat at one of the doors of the inn, looking as if she was holding it open. I approve!
    Table Cloths legacy lives on!

Makes me think of a WoW character, Draenei named Pilot, title 'Of The Exodar', guild name <Unemployed>; or Homeless Krytan in GW 2, guild name Could You Spare A Coin [Poor].

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Table Cloths legacy lives on!

That's a high quality table-cloth right there.

Looks like my kitchen counter when I drop a cloth or something on top of the potatoes I'm preparing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I made a rather robust post on this one time.
    Points 3 and 4, while they would affect healers, would also have a noticable effect on other Jobs. They'd require a shift in the games design and demand that the players adjust, it's a radical depature from what FF14 currently is. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, individual responsabilities tend to be downplayed outside

As for 1 and 2, I think given the choice, I would go probably make healing powerful, but gate that power more behind cooldowns. For healing to be impactful there has to be a failure state where you're just unable to push out enough healing for the encounter. Having your main healing spells on, say, 15-20 second cooldowns automatically makes any heals a precious resource. Not enough to be punishing for a single mistake, but enough for cumulative mistakes to cause deaths and wipes.

There should, imo, be a failure state where you're unable to hit the required HPS. For that to happen you need to be able to make mistakes with healing and right now unless you're outright ignoring your responsabilities it's extremely hard for a lack of healing to cause a wipe.

Gating it behind MP means you have failure states where you can't keep the HPS required up for long enough to beat the encounter before you run out of MP, but that's an issue which can be solved by consumables, gear Raid buffs and so on. It's a failure state that quickly disapears as more gear enters the equation.

I would also look to include more varied heals too, not just Fast/Slow and Expensive/Cheap etc, but things like the old Lightwell WoW Priests had, or being able to create healing zones and so on. Right now, things are very binary in FF14 outside of a few skills, rounding out the pool with more varied abilities allows a much larger range of healing niches to exist. Not just to shamelessly borrow from other games, but WoW's Chain Heal, Prayer of Mending and similar skills are much more interesting to work with than FF14's area heals.

As for the final point, I've always been a fan of "soft enrage" type mechanics myself. They move the failure point depending on your group setup and experience which is infinately more interesting to play through than instant death hard enrages. Going as far as being able to adjust where that point is intentionally allows groups to come up with interesting stratergies for beating the encounter. Moroes in Karazahn was a great example of this - You had options that ranged from CCing all the adds to just brute forcing it and everything in between. You even had to change up most stratergies week by week depending on which Guests were at the party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks more like a potato to be peeled and cut.

Going to hit 70 with my Dragoon today. Love the gameplay and rotation, but I kinda dislike how long the Jump animations are and how easily it can clip into your GCD ability because of it. Not sure if this is the proper way, but I avoid using another oGCD when using Jumps just because of the long animation.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Well the halloween event is a bit of a bust. The 'find 3 guys on this floor change' was a bit lame really and after the rising i was hoping for something better as the one and only event i missed due to a HDD failure was the new tower climb summer one. It just seems like a lot of events are 'hey heres a wind up-X' and stuff like mounts and costumes are starting to be RMT only, which no doubt will make a killing in its domestic market but when 'funpay minibuys' are a total 'not happening' situation it leaves you with very little reason to do events.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well the halloween event is a bit of a bust. The 'find 3 guys on this floor change' was a bit lame really and after the rising i was hoping for something better as the one and only event i missed due to a HDD failure was the new tower climb summer one. It just seems like a lot of events are 'hey heres a wind up-X' and stuff like mounts and costumes are starting to be RMT only, which no doubt will make a killing in its domestic market but when 'funpay minibuys' are a total 'not happening' situation it leaves you with very little reason to do events.
    Are you serious? We've gotten mounts from the valentione's day event, emotes from the little ladies' day event, and glamour from the heavensturn, moonfire faire and are going to get some for christmas. Holiday events have always been small little quest things that generally can be done with an hour or two of the first day. Some years, you get glamour, or maybe a mount, or just a minion. The idea that they're just pushing everything to the mogstation is flat out false, and most of the items on the mogstation either previous years' rewards or CN/KR exclusive items that are brought over. Very few of the items are unique to mogstation.

I get that you may not like the rewards or find the event very fun this year, but this is no different than any other years' rewards/questline. Really no need to start crying about things because you're not happy freebie seasonal rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Points 3 and 4, while they would affect healers, would also have a noticable effect on other Jobs. They'd require a shift in the games design and demand that the players adjust, it's a radical depature from what FF14 currently is. I don't think it would be a bad idea at all, individual responsabilities tend to be downplayed outside.
    Intended. I'm not entirely in agreement with the "radical" descriptor, but it'd certainly be a change. Otherwise we're on the same page.

As for 1 and 2, I think given the choice, I would go probably make healing powerful, but gate that power more behind cooldowns. For healing to be impactful there has to be a failure state where you're just unable to push out enough healing for the encounter. Having your main healing spells on, say, 15-20 second cooldowns automatically makes any heals a precious resource. Not enough to be punishing for a single mistake, but enough for cumulative mistakes to cause deaths and wipes.

There should, imo, be a failure state where you're unable to hit the required HPS. For that to happen you need to be able to make mistakes with healing and right now unless you're outright ignoring your responsabilities it's extremely hard for a lack of healing to cause a wipe.

Gating it behind MP means you have failure states where you can't keep the HPS required up for long enough to beat the encounter before you run out of MP, but that's an issue which can be solved by consumables, gear Raid buffs and so on. It's a failure state that quickly disapears as more gear enters the equation.

I would also look to include more varied heals too, not just Fast/Slow and Expensive/Cheap etc, but things like the old Lightwell WoW Priests had, or being able to create healing zones and so on. Right now, things are very binary in FF14 outside of a few skills, rounding out the pool with more varied abilities allows a much larger range of healing niches to exist. Not just to shamelessly borrow from other games, but WoW's Chain Heal, Prayer of Mending and similar skills are much more interesting to work with than FF14's area heals.
    Maybe I wasn't super clear, but this is nearly identical to what I was trying to propose. Not just binary fast/slow/expensive/cheap designations, but everywhere in between and interactive with oGCDs and CDs.

You state that MP issues would be "quickly" overcome, but that's a tuning issue not a design one. The concept is still sound and I'd actually argue that it's the correct way to demonstrate power growth.

As for the final point, I've always been a fan of "soft enrage" type mechanics myself. They move the failure point depending on your group setup and experience which is infinately more interesting to play through than instant death hard enrages. Going as far as being able to adjust where that point is intentionally allows groups to come up with interesting stratergies for beating the encounter. Moroes in Karazahn was a great example of this - You had options that ranged from CCing all the adds to just brute forcing it and everything in between. You even had to change up most stratergies week by week depending on which Guests were at the party.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Are you serious? We've gotten mounts from the valentione's day event, emotes from the little ladies' day event, and glamour from the heavensturn, moonfire faire and are going to get some for christmas. Holiday events have always been small little quest things that generally can be done with an hour or two of the first day. Some years, you get glamour, or maybe a mount, or just a minion. The idea that they're just pushing everything to the mogstation is flat out false, and most of the items on the mogstation either previous years' rewards or CN/KR exclusive items that are brought over. Very few of the items are unique to mogstation.

I get that you may not like the rewards or find the event very fun this year, but this is no different than any other years' rewards/questline. Really no need to start crying about things because you're not happy freebie seasonal rewards.
    Event rewards total per year, including lightning, garo, shantotto, maidens raphsody and hunt for rathalos
    28 outfit pieces
    8 weapons
    1 chocobo barding

50 outfit pieces - 10 repeats
    8 weapons - 8 repeats
    8 minions - 2 repeats
    1 chocobo barding
    2 emotes
    1 unique dye
    13 housing none food/consumable pieces
    new facepaint styles

29 outfit pieces
    4 minions
    3 mounts
    1 chocobo barding
    16 housing none food/consumable pieces

15 outfit pieces
    16 minions
    11 housing none food/consumable pieces
    6 orchestrion rolls
    7 emotes

104 outfit pieces
    3 minions
    5 mounts
    2 emotes
    18 housing none food/consumable pieces
    6 orchestrion roll
    1 haircut
    3 triple triad cards

16 outfit pieces
    5 minions
    3 emotes
    3 mounts - 2 repeats
    5 orchestrion rolls
    7 housing none food/consumable pieces

Here we are with 2 months left in the year and we have 8 times more mogstation updates in 2018 than ingame events adding a significant numbers of items, totalling more new ones than event rewards of the same type while things like seasonal chocobo bardings, weapons and things like unique character customisation options are just gone entirely from events.
    Just because you are cool with it doesn't mean there is not a noticeable decline in rewards while the number of cash shop rmts in the same time has only increased. Which would be fine if it were a F2P game but its not. A subscription fee is meant for two things: access to the developers product and to go towards the production of future content updates. Which this year has been smaller in number then ever as the cash shop exploded. I love the game but you would have to be straight up in denial or completely ignorant of the stark drop off in seasonal content to think its "crying over freebies".

15+ Year Old Account
    There are only 24 CN/KR exclusive items and only 62 Mogstation specific items with 218 items being previous seasonal rewards. You are just crying about freebies. Considering that we don't get the same number of events each year, with only heavensturn/valentione's/little ladies'/hatching-tide/make it rain/moonfire/rising/saints/starlight being the assured events (make it rain being newer), it makes sense that some years will have more and some years will have less.

Also how much of those items do you actively use? Most of them probably not. You probably only ever glamour the halloween glamours when its halloween and use the mounts when you get it via mount roulette. So I'm not really sure why there's a reason to throw a hissy fit over items you probably just end up throwing in the armoire and only using maybe once or twice, if that. "oh no, how dare i not get cool, new items i'm going to use a few items and then never again!!"

I have to agree with danny, it's very much a 'first taste is always free' situation. They push out a lot more gimmes when the game pop is smaller and they're trying to build subs more. Now that they have people there's less incentive to grow the farm and more incentive to milk the cows as much as possible.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're still just crying about freebies. We get new rewards from the event every year (with the exception of repeat of the events i.e maiden or the first two runs of make it rain) as well as a different questline. And again I raise the question how many times have you *actually* used any of the previous event rewards because imo that's actually far more important that how much stuff we get from the rewards. I'm quite certain you probably don't use any the character customization rewards or chocobo barding all that often because you don't actually give a shit about those things, you just want to go "See! Less stuff given, they don't care!!" when you're just being a greedy child wanting new stuff every single time.

I dunno, more and more cash shop exclusives vs. less and less freebies seems pretty clear-cut to me. But if you don't see it as something worth criticizing SE for, that's your choice. I personally DGAF about a lot of the civil-rights sirens being blared in society today but I'm glad people are out there doing it, cos when no one says anything that's when they take things and run with them as fast as they can.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I dunno, more and more cash shop exclusives vs. less and less freebies seems pretty clear-cut to me. But if you don't see it as something worth criticizing SE for, that's your choice. I personally DGAF about a lot of the civil-rights sirens being blared in society today but I'm glad people are out there doing it, cos when no one says anything that's when they take things and run with them as fast as they can.
    Except with his own stats, its not more cash shop exclusives unless you're combing KR/CN exclusives into the numbers. there's been a total of 11 CN/KR exclusives and 16 mogstation specific items. So by that count, we have had more freebies. 37 (39 if we count repeats)