10+ Year Old Account
    Don't be afraid to let it drop down to 50% in dungeons. Few hard hits there that are problematic. In FF you have the ability to bring up a players HP rather quickly, opposed to WoW where you have to spam weak ass placebo heals while waiting for your large CD heals to come off cooldown.

I generally only start casting healing once the tank drops below 50%. Rest is DPS.

In savage, you usually do not get that option, these encounters are designed for both healers to bring up the raid ASAP.

Personally, I find 4mans a snoozefest to heal, no matter what class. Yeah sure, flopping a card every 30 seconds is nice but you'll quickly learn that not all of them are terribly useful and burn most of them to get the added effects for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post

[HEAVY BREATHING]
    I want them. Even if I don't race change into one, I want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Don't be afraid to let it drop down to 50% in dungeons. Few hard hits there that are problematic. In FF you have the ability to bring up a players HP rather quickly, opposed to WoW where you have to spam weak ass placebo heals while waiting for your large CD heals to come off cooldown.

I generally only start casting healing once the tank drops below 50%. Rest is DPS.

In savage, you usually do not get that option, these encounters are designed for both healers to bring up the raid ASAP.

Personally, I find 4mans a snoozefest to heal, no matter what class. Yeah sure, flopping a card every 30 seconds is nice but you'll quickly learn that not all of them are terribly useful and burn most of them to get the added effects for the next one.
    Early on i had a tank in tam tara say 'theres no need to keep me full, dont bother healing till i hit 50%' which let me dps a lot more and also taught me to relax more when healing. I think i was used to WoWs dungeon finder cesspit where one wipe means everyone disbands. In XIV's case swiftcast+raise makes folks a lot more lenient i think, even the ones that come from games like WoW. A tank death is rarely a wipe unless its a bad or new tank that pulled like half the dungeon at once and on death has them tidal wave over the party before the raise even takes.

10+ Year Old Account
    A tank death is rarely a wipe unless its a bad or new tank that pulled like half the dungeon at once
    Erm... I don't know about your experience level but wall to wall pulling pretty much the norm at 70 and has been ever since 50. Us tanks (I mainly tank in dungeons because healing is boring) expect our healers to be able to cope with that, provided they have the gear for it ofc.

Naturally, depending on the tanks gear, these pulls are not quite as relaxed to heal. If DPS isn't up to snuff they can get painful, though I usually throttle things down then I notice the healer struggling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Erm... I don't know about your experience level but wall to wall pulling pretty much the norm at 70 and has been ever since 50. Us tanks (I mainly tank in dungeons because healing is boring) expect our healers to be able to cope with that, provided they have the gear for it ofc.

Naturally, depending on the tanks gear, these pulls are not quite as relaxed to heal. If DPS isn't up to snuff they can get painful, though I usually throttle things down then I notice the healer struggling.
    Lately I've been getting a number of bad WAR tanks doing this. They'll pull 3-4 groups and take like 60% of their health in damage in one global. Will rarely get one that seems to know what they're doing. That said, I've never had an issue with a PLD tank and can count on just one hand how many bad DRK tanks I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Lately I've been getting a number of bad WAR tanks doing this. They'll pull 3-4 groups and take like 60% of their health in damage in one global. Will rarely get one that seems to know what they're doing. That said, I've never had an issue with a PLD tank and can count on just one hand how many bad DRK tanks I've had.
    I think there is a commonality among a lot of tanks I have seen where they sparingly use cooldowns or save them for bosses or when "shit hits the fan". Wall-to-wall pulling in Ex roulettes is the best way, so long as you have a sufficiently geared healer (who is contributing to DPS) and you rotate through your defensive abilities.

Where this strategy fails is if you have terrible DPS and a healer who isn't contributing - The pulls will take so long that you will cycle through all of your cooldowns and still not be done with the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Yeah, a lot of tanks feel obligated to pull that way in order to not get yelled at, yet they don't have the knowledge to deal with this pulls in a manner that doesn't give the healer a heart attack.

The FF community isn't that much different than the WoW community in that regard.

E.g:When I have 2 melee DPS in my group I typically pull the 2 big worms near the end solo, because I consider it rather inefficient if melee constantly has to run from large void zones. In 80% of the cases, the healer pulls the other group for me w/o any comment.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Some people just need a simple, bare-bones basic healer to get them into the swing of things. Honestly, I think that's a fine niche for it to have. It doesn't make it any worse as a Job, but by being more approachable it's a stepping stone to the other, more difficult, healing Jobs. It's also the iconic video game healer too, that holds a lot of appeal for some.

AST is much more versitile and far more fun, I agree. It also asks more of the player, which makes it less beginner friendly than WHM.
    My biggest gripe with this methodology is that what if I want a compelling "challenging" gameplay experience but like the aesthetic of the "simple" job? It means I either have to stomach a shitty experience or play a job I don't like aesthetically, and that's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    My biggest gripe with this methodology is that what if I want a compelling "challenging" gameplay experience but like the aesthetic of the "simple" job? It means I either have to stomach a shitty experience or play a job I don't like aesthetically, and that's not fun.
    It's not a method that will keep everyone happy 100% of the time. Provided there are other jobs that do fit what you're looking for both in terms of playstyle and asthetics then I don't think it's a massive issue. An MMO without a Job that you like playing isn't one you're going to stick around with for very long afterall.

I do think that for a game like FF14 that assumes it's audience hasn't played an MMO before and has lots of great introductory content for them, having an "easy" Job for each role is appropriate. There's lots of time later on down the line to add more complex and challenging jobs, but it's hard to add a new job that's designed to appeal almost exclusively to new players thrown in a couple of expansions down the line.

After doing a bunch of alliance raids every day for easy roullette WHM exp i decided to try Uldir LFR to compare and contrast.

How the fuck is the baseline WoW lfr player getting dumber AND ruder? like Alliance raids sometimes gets a ' COME ON YOU NEED TO MOVE' in chat for certain mechanics but its like "oh its just lfr" is a hand waving way of dealing with whats like barrens chat: the raid experience.

The two get compared a lot but out in the open world it seems player behaviour is pretty similar in both but theres something about lfr vs alliance raids that just turns people into animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    After doing a bunch of alliance raids every day for easy roullette WHM exp i decided to try Uldir LFR to compare and contrast.

How the fuck is the baseline WoW lfr player getting dumber AND ruder? like Alliance raids sometimes gets a ' COME ON YOU NEED TO MOVE' in chat for certain mechanics but its like "oh its just lfr" is a hand waving way of dealing with whats like barrens chat: the raid experience.

The two get compared a lot but out in the open world it seems player behaviour is pretty similar in both but theres something about lfr vs alliance raids that just turns people into animals.
    think its because more things can actually kill you in alliance raids then lfr, where as both aren't that hard compared to the top tier raids I would say alliance raids are harder then lfr most of the time. So that means some people are more willing to make it go smoothly by explaining some things. Also if people leave a raid or dungeon in FF14 it takes longer to slot that person in than in lfr where people just pop in out all the time.

You lose that one person in group A? now group A can't do LB3 and it makes the raid last longer. More reasons to be nice and helpful is the TLDR for alliance raids vs lfr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not every class has to be overly convoluted and tough to play.
    I like that there are different styles.

That being said: Diurnal AST doesn't heal that much differently compared to WHM. Star placement and timing is pretty much the biggest difference, most other spells are carbon copies off WHM spells.
    I would play it more often, if them dumb RNG cards weren't such a PITA.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dugna View Post
    More reasons to be nice and helpful is the TLDR for alliance raids vs lfr.
    Pretty much.
    Also: unlimited combat rezzes. You don't get those in LFR and they make a huge difference. In that regard, LFR is actually harder.

Pretty much.
    Also: unlimited combat rezzes. You don't get those in LFR and they make a huge difference. In that regard, LFR is actually harder.
    [/QUOTE]

Christ the amount of LFR's a single RDM could keep alive with the mp regen ross role ability alone

It's not a method that will keep everyone happy 100% of the time. Provided there are other jobs that do fit what you're looking for both in terms of playstyle and asthetics then I don't think it's a massive issue. An MMO without a Job that you like playing isn't one you're going to stick around with for very long afterall.

I do think that for a game like FF14 that assumes it's audience hasn't played an MMO before and has lots of great introductory content for them, having an "easy" Job for each role is appropriate. There's lots of time later on down the line to add more complex and challenging jobs, but it's hard to add a new job that's designed to appeal almost exclusively to new players thrown in a couple of expansions down the line.
    As much as WoW gets stuff wrong this is one area they do fairly well. Look at Ret Paladins, often touted as the simpletons DPS spec, but I have the ability via talents to select a more robust gameplay experience. I can pick talents that give me a short duration buff to manage, additional procs, a whole new GCD ability, etc.

I can turn Ret from a simpleton's DPS spec into something that actually requires "effort" to play well. Even in FF14 I'm 100% ok with the concept as simple jobs, but give me options to change that if I want.

I'm not entirely sure that's even possible tbh. They're already rock bottom as far as I am concerned. LFR and Alliance Raids are compared because they're the most apt comparison, but it's no stranger that AR's are generally more "challenging" (minus the few that you couldn't fail if you tried, much like LFR).

Not every class has to be overly convoluted and tough to play.
    I like that there are different styles.
    Agreed, but rather than forcing the job as the sole factor let the player have that decision by expanding jobs functions and toolkits.

IMO of course.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed, but rather than forcing the job as the sole factor let the player have that decision by expanding jobs functions and toolkits.
    IMO of course.
    You know as well as I do, that the raiding community would "enforce" FOTM-BIS.
    I've seen it with Blizzards approach to the new talents in WoD. Complicated stuff ended up FOTM because, in the hand of skilled players, the talents were stronger.

Personally I don't like fighting my classes gameplay and the boss at the same time. My class should be relatively simple, not 3 button braindead but also not adorned with artificial complexity like HWs Henochian incarnation.

As a healer, most complexity comes from reacting fast and saving failing players, I agree that healers (esp pure healers w/o side gigs) aren't particularly engaging when everyone involved has skill and knows what he is doing. I don't believe we should "balance" healer complexity around these scenarios because most people clearly do NOT know what they are doing and it is already up to us to compensate as many fails as humanly possible.

As much as WoW gets stuff wrong this is one area they do fairly well. Look at Ret Paladins, often touted as the simpletons DPS spec, but I have the ability via talents to select a more robust gameplay experience. I can pick talents that give me a short duration buff to manage, additional procs, a whole new GCD ability, etc.

I can turn Ret from a simpleton's DPS spec into something that actually requires "effort" to play well. Even in FF14 I'm 100% ok with the concept as simple jobs, but give me options to change that if I want.
    That lack of flexability has always been an issue with FF14, even right back when they had stat points you had to manually assign. Cross-role skills could have help bridged that gap, but they've repeatedly dropped the ball when it comes to making good skills to the point where they've let you take them all anyway.

The upside is that the performance delta between the worst and best players should be much smaller than a game like WoW, you can't leave important parts of your job behind like you could with powerful talents in WoW. The downside is that if you have a Job that's simple by design, much like the White Mage, then there's nothing you can do as a player to make that experience more challenging for yourself short of deliberately handicapping yourself.

I'd like to see FF14 open up more when it comes to Job design. They have hinted at changes with Shadowbringers, but without much in the way of information on what those are going to be all we can do is speculate. I'm hoping we'll see more ways to customise how our Jobs play, if that is via new Cross Role skills, a talent type system or something else entirely, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we see something in this area.

As a healer, most complexity comes from reacting fast and saving failing players, I agree that healers (esp pure healers w/o side gigs) aren't particularly engaging when everyone involved has skill and knows what he is doing.
    I've never considered that "Whack-a-Mole" style of healing to be particularly engaging myself. It's extremely reactive, you're not making things happen yourself, you're waiting for them to happen to other people. That's why I'm in favour of MP being a much more important resource for healers. It doesn't add much extra complexity at a base level, but it does add a much needed decision making process to the role. I don't recall ever having to decide if I should save a DPS or save the MP because I need it for tank healing. Nor have I ever had to decide if I should be using a powerful heal or an efficient one. I can just do it all anyway because MP is a none issue.

It also shifts some of the responsability to the rest of the group too. If there are too many fails across the group as a whole then you'll wipe because your healers ran out of MP. There's also an extra dial in the form of DPS. The faster you kill a boss the less time your healers have to be active, therefore allowing you to make more mistakes without hitting that failure state.

Everyone knows the challenge behind playing White Mage is putting as many tanks through the 1% challenge as possible (letting them get as close to 1% health as possible before they either freak out and pop their invuln CD or you get off a benediction without it getting eaten)

As an aside my FC doesn't let me WHM heal for them anymore.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't actually stand WHM. AST for life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never considered that "Whack-a-Mole" style of healing to be particularly engaging myself. It's extremely reactive, you're not making things happen yourself, you're waiting for them to happen to other people. That's why I'm in favour of MP being a much more important resource for healers. It doesn't add much extra complexity at a base level, but it does add a much needed decision making process to the role. I don't recall ever having to decide if I should save a DPS or save the MP because I need it for tank healing. Nor have I ever had to decide if I should be using a powerful heal or an efficient one. I can just do it all anyway because MP is a none issue.
    It also shifts some of the responsability to the rest of the group too. If there are too many fails across the group as a whole then you'll wipe because your healers ran out of MP. There's also an extra dial in the form of DPS. The faster you kill a boss the less time your healers have to be active, therefore allowing you to make more mistakes without hitting that failure state.
    There is already plenty of punishment here, no need to punish us healers even more. If you let the DPS die, you are most likely hitting the enrage of a savage encounter anyway.

Stuff you propose would work in simpler content sure, but it would make savage even more of a nightmare than it already is.
    BTW: if you tighten up on mana, the first thing that would go out of the window would be healer DPS. So the first consequence would be that you stand around doing nothing when there is nothing to heal.

If you want to punish DPS players for fucking up w/o putting more pressure on the healers, give them a damage down that persists through death if they fail.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2018-12-29 at 09:12 AM.

There is already plenty of punishment here, no need to punish us healers even more. If you let the DPS die, you are most likely hitting the enrage of a savage encounter anyway.
    I think you're missing the point here. It's not to "punish" anybody. It's to shift healing from being a role based around reaction speeds to being about longer term planning and stratergy. Having a finite resource to power your healing means there has to be some decision making that goes into how you spend it best. It creates a system where you want to maximise your efficiency rather than look to snipe as much HPS as possible.

It opens up new gearing opportunities too. Having to make a choice between healing output and having extra resources to heal with is an interesting problem for the players. The answer is going to vary from player to player, what kind of content you're doing and so on. That's a challenge to think about outside of combat. Finding that ideal balance of healing output and resource management adds a lot of depth to how you play without adding any mechanical complexities at all.