Got most of the dungeon spells, just two from satasha hard mode to go but fyi plainscracker can be gotten in north shroud, you dont need to fight that copperbell boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just want to let you know; Incapacitating abilities (such as Self-destruct) counts as a clear in the Masquerade as long as it kills your enemies.
    Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    I was gone from the game for awhile, and I've been playing catch up. Just finished the Burn last night, gearing up for alphascape and orbonne. So BLU is kind of on the back burner right now. I'm interested, but I need to wrap up the MSQ stuff first. My concern is that after this initial rush, I see it being hard to get skills from the ex primals and coils.

Also I think all of the concern over the limited job aspect is a bit over blown. I have a feeling their going to be doing a slow role out, opening up 50-60 and hw skills some time during SB, and so on until it gets caught up. I just think their trying to make sure they dont rush it in too fast and break some encounters. But then again, with their history on introducing new systems and then abandoning them, I guess you could have some concern.
    In an effort to keep Blue Mage from being a requirement in current content, because they really are pretty brokenly OP in certain conditions, I doubt they'll ever allow them to have the same max level as everything else.

They're tough, can dish out loads of damage, can heal AND can debuff the shit out of enemies while also having multiple stuns, silences, slows, binds, etc... with really quick cast times, or no cast time at all on some.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Got most of the dungeon spells, just two from satasha hard mode to go but fyi plainscracker can be gotten in north shroud, you dont need to fight that copperbell boss.
    Also in Southern Thanalan near the Sunken Temple. If a Mob can use the spell, you can learn it from said mob.

Souce: I got Sticky Tongue early on by waiting for the Toad FATE near the gates to Limsa in Lower La Nosche (or however you spell it.) since they use Sticky Tongue. Someone reported that you can get Tail Screw from mobs in The Peaks that use it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshomaru View Post
    Just want to let you know; Incapacitating abilities (such as Self-destruct) counts as a clear in the Masquerade as long as it kills your enemies.
    Spoiler: 
    Good to know! Thank you =)

I got all of the open field abilities yesterday and finished the level 50 job quest. Still need most of the dungeon and trial abilities, only have Glower and Mind Blast. Not looking forward to farming those really, if those two abilities are anything to go by. I don't mind farming abilities, but having to slog through entire dungeons for a CHANCE at an ability is just annoying. Any updated lists yet for the spells? I've already heard multiple accounts of people learning the field spells in places the book doesn't explicitly state, which is what the reddit guide is based on.

I'm specifically wondering about the EX primal trials. I've heard some of the abilities can be learned in HM, since the HM versions use them, but some are exclusive to EX because only the EX version uses those abilities. I'll be checking around, but if anyone knows anything, please post it and I'll do the same if I come across some interesting/ new information.

Anyone has any ideas how to learn white wind/off guard/mighty guard/etc? They have requirements of 10-20 spells/etc, but I've only learnt enough spells, and I still don't see the aforementioned in my skill book, do I have to talk to someone in particular to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Soluna View Post
    Anyone has any ideas how to learn white wind/off guard/mighty guard/etc? They have requirements of 10-20 spells/etc, but I've only learnt enough spells, and I still don't see the aforementioned in my skill book, do I have to talk to someone in particular to get them?
    one of the beast guys next to the blue mage teacher has them. you just ask him about totems and claim them.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    one of the beast guys next to the blue mage teacher has them. you just ask him about totems and claim them.
    Thank you very much, that helps a ton!

The FFXIV reddit has a bunch of posts regarding blue spells, where to learn them, and some discussions about which spells synergize really well together.

One of the posts has a guide called Eorzea in Blue, which is really nice and has descriptions, pictures, recommendations, etc... for where and how to go about earning every spell, with a few alternative methods than what the spell book suggests. Like the ARR Relic quest chimera can also teach Ram and Dragons voice, don't HAVE to get it from Cutters Cry, there's a leve in Mor Dhona with a Shadow Dragon that does "The Look" so you don't have to farm Amdapor Keep, there are open world golems that use Plainscracker so you don't have to do Copperbell HM, etc...

I haven't been this excited and driven to play the game in a long time. Blue is a blast IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    In an effort to keep Blue Mage from being a requirement in current content, because they really are pretty brokenly OP in certain conditions, I doubt they'll ever allow them to have the same max level as everything else.

They're tough, can dish out loads of damage, can heal AND can debuff the shit out of enemies while also having multiple stuns, silences, slows, binds, etc... with really quick cast times, or no cast time at all on some.
    I havnt played it too much, i think i'm level 8 with 4 skills, so I wasn't sure how powerful they get. I'm fine if they can't ever integrate with the regular game. The job makes a good side diversion when you dont feel like running the same old stuff. I just hope after a couple weeks it becomes nearly impossible to get the group content skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    I havnt played it too much, i think i'm level 8 with 4 skills, so I wasn't sure how powerful they get. I'm fine if they can't ever integrate with the regular game. The job makes a good side diversion when you dont feel like running the same old stuff. I just hope after a couple weeks it becomes nearly impossible to get the group content skills.
    I'm guessing you mean DOESN'T become nearly impossible to get the group content skills? If you truly mean you hope it becomes hard to get the skills, why?

I have a feeling things will die down relatively soon, but there are always farm groups going into the group content, so I don't see Blue Mage having that much difficulty getting them. Not to mention I feel like people could look at the PF and join Blue's farming instances or trials for fun and quick runs, because Blue's really are pretty insanely OP with the right kit.

I do find it funny how impatient people can be, starting to complain after not getting a skill within a few minutes. I've only had to "farm" two dungeon skills; Mind Blast and Glower. Glower wasn't bad because we traded runs with everyone going on a 70 to blow through it, but still took 4-5 tries before everyone got it, but only took maybe 30 minutes for all 4 to get it. Mind Blast we weren't that smart and it took almost an hour in 4 runs because we all went Blue. Was still fun going through the Tam Tara melting faces, but 1k Needles was getting old and having to spend ~15 minutes for a single attempt at a skill was just annoying.

I'm going to be farming skills the next few days in the hope I'll have the full 49/49 before things die down, but I don't think anyone will have much problem in the weeks to come.

I'm guessing you mean DOESN'T become nearly impossible to get the group content skills? If you truly mean you hope it becomes hard to get the skills, why?

I have a feeling things will die down relatively soon, but there are always farm groups going into the group content, so I don't see Blue Mage having that much difficulty getting them. Not to mention I feel like people could look at the PF and join Blue's farming instances or trials for fun and quick runs, because Blue's really are pretty insanely OP with the right kit.

I do find it funny how impatient people can be, starting to complain after not getting a skill within a few minutes. I've only had to "farm" two dungeon skills; Mind Blast and Glower. Glower wasn't bad because we traded runs with everyone going on a 70 to blow through it, but still took 4-5 tries before everyone got it, but only took maybe 30 minutes for all 4 to get it. Mind Blast we weren't that smart and it took almost an hour in 4 runs because we all went Blue. Was still fun going through the Tam Tara melting faces, but 1k Needles was getting old and having to spend ~15 minutes for a single attempt at a skill was just annoying.

I'm going to be farming skills the next few days in the hope I'll have the full 49/49 before things die down, but I don't think anyone will have much problem in the weeks to come.
    Correct, i missed that. I would hate to see it become dead after a couple weeks. I really like the idea behind the job as i'm the kind of person that loves to play mmos, but dont always want to be doing group content. Blue mage was a much needed addition.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Is now a bad time to admit I got Mind Blast first try and kinda wish I didn't? Would have been nice to farm Tam-Tara for exp and gear.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Is now a bad time to admit I got Mind Blast first try and kinda wish I didn't? Would have been nice to farm Tam-Tara for exp and gear.
    I got both Dragon's Voice and Ram's Voice my first time through Cutters Cry, so it evened out, lol. That's RNG for you.

You get xp so fast in the open world by yourself it's ridiculous, leveling in dungeons as a Blue Mage is honestly just not an effective use of time. 1k Needles one shot kills enemies even up into the level ~35 range, with it ALMOST doing the job all the way up to ~45, only need a few more spells to take out most enemies. With 1k Needles, leveling from 20-35 should be a total breeze, with your biggest hurdle being finding enough things to kill. Single mobs in the open world give 10k+ xp per kill for things your level and higher. Dungeon mobs only give ~1k each if my venture into Tam Tara was anything to go by. So open world > dungeons, for sure.

Since you can level so fast, grinding a dungeon for gear is also just not an effective use of time since you'll be replacing it far before it's even spiritbound. You can get decent sets of gear from the armor NPC's in each city state (I usually go to Ul'dah because the vendor is right next to the Aetheryte and Market Board) for really cheap. The only thing you may want to buy from the MB are accessories, but there's vendors for some of those too.

There's so few Intelligence points to be had on gear pre 50 that a few levels with sub par gear aren't going to really impact your game play.

I wish they put a few more hints into BLU spellbook. It feels like you either have to look up a guide, or go around the zone killing about 10 of each mob to account for RNG. Or well, just observe what the other BLU are attacking, but that's essentially looking up a guide.

Even the name of the spell would be enough.

I got both Dragon's Voice and Ram's Voice my first time through Cutters Cry, so it evened out, lol. That's RNG for you.
    Worst i had so far was the Zu in Pharos Siruis. You need to break eggs and push it into the enrage where it does an aoe slam for around 80+% of everyones hp around it. White wind spam eats into magic and you need to wait for the frenzy to end not just trigger. Got Sirens in one go but took ages for Zu and one person released and didnt get it so we all swapped to our 70's unsynched and spammed it till she got it like 40 minutes later.

Surprised i've seen no queues for ADS in party finder. Maybe theres been a drop off in ARR raiders and most people never did turn 1/2 to know ADS is the easiest raid boss in the game.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    R.I.P Graeham Cracker, you will be missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    what happened to Graeham? Or is it just the EU account deletion bug? He will prob be back if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by listo95 View Post
    It should be. His e-mail attached to this account is one he doesn't check often so he never authorized what he was required to keep his account. Hopefully he does that account retrieval soon.
    I return! Unfortunately I cannot use the account restoration feature as I no longer have access to the e-mail account associated with my previous profile.

So...new account it is!

missile is hilarious. you can blow up bosses in a few seconds. havent seen it work on final bosses yet though.

5+ Year Old Account
    BLU is exactly what I was hoping it to be. It appeals to me in the same way as FSH - more of a mini-game than a proper job, though both give me that special feeling that comes with the side activities in classic JRPG's!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    So...new account it is!
    Oh my, I would be sooo pissed.
    Welcome back though.