Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I don't see a problem with it. Their game, their decisions and they created the lore to support it.

I honestly don't really understand the hate around it.

TERA gender locks the classes, which is BS, though somewhat understandable from a development stand point (more animations and gear stuff to do, take longer to manage).
    It's not understandable at all.

They used a similar reason for male Miqos and they are in the game if I recall. The one for Male Viera is quite a cop out in my opinion.

They are free to design the game as they want. However as I said I'm not interested in either race. Which is a shame because I'd play a male Viera. And there is a lot of fair criticism on the forums and Reddit right now. Which I hope they at least acknowledge.

As I said it's the only poor thing from that whole keynote. So all in all it was a pretty amazing keynote. I don't mind dancer being a RDPS, the zones are gorgeous, the artwork is incredible and the videos shown off are badass. And I'm still incredibly hyped for the expansion and ready to be a darkboi going around spreading my darkboi musk in the zones.

I've just never liked genderlock classes, races and whatnot. It just feels restrictive as hell in a game that's about offering a bit of freedom. But I will say one thing. All those people saying "FF14 KOREAN MMO" now just lol. I mean yeah I'm not happy about it but some people are blowing it way out of proportion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It's really not bold. It's just irritating design in an MMO.
    I mean at least it's not classes like Tera but still.
    I get that it irritates you because you wanted it but it really makes sense for fantasy societies to be drastically different from ours.
    If the Viera say "Men have no business out there in the world" then that is their culture and it would not make sense to have playable males.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I get that it irritates you because you wanted it but it really makes sense for fantasy societies to be drastically different from ours.
    If the Viera say "Men have no business out there in the world" then that is their culture and it would not make sense to have playable males.
    Yeah but they used a similar reason for male Miqos and those catbois are everywhere now.

I just think it's a bit of a cop out as I said. I'm not saying it's outright bad either or it's gonna kill the expansion because that would be an absolutely idiotic thing of me to say. Just I don't agree with and I hope they are listening to the constructive feedback at least.

I'll say one thing as I said. Some people are actually going after Yoshi and the devs with it and that's just disgraceful. If you feel the need to attack a dev team or threaten them over a video game I have to question that persons sanity if I'm honest. Although as I said the moment you start pulling crap like that is when you've lost any right to a discussion imo.

One small thing. I wish the CE would come with a Fantasia at least. I mean I am willing to at least try Viera and see if I like it if they did that.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-03-23 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Okay. And? That means what I said was correct. Nevermind that there are three of these events and they waited until the last one to clarify. There's no reason they couldn't have confirmed viera are female only and hinted at another race without giving any details.

How is any of this "beyond reason"? It would be perfectly reasonable for them to make male viera. I mean, before ARR we didn't have male miqo'te or female roegadyn (or female highlander hyur!). It's just baffling to me that they are digging up an old element that ARR specifically got rid of.
    Once the leaks are out it's over if they say "Viera is female only." because people would expect to see a Male Ronso Race pop up even if they don't give any details, ruining their surprise.

And it's beyond reason because they warned people by giving in-game lore to ease things up and told them to read carefully and people reacts like SE commited genocide.

Also Yoshida said at the end of the keynote that they wanted to give players a race with more beastial features. They probably had time constraint and couldn't make two full races, so they choose to make one female locked and one male locked.

Even if male Viera made it, people would still be upset because "It's too tall!" or "It's too short and cute!" or "It's too fierce looking!" or ... based on how they would have made it and what each person expectation was.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2019-03-23 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    They said : "We put Viera lore into the game, pay close attention to it."
    In the lore dump the dude (who is kind of an insert for Matsuno) keeps repeating how rare and reclusive the Male Viera are, even stating "They simply do not exist to us."
    Some people's reaction : "So they do exist! We'll have Male Viera then"...
    And they wanted to make Hrothgar a surpise I'm sure (which got leaked by an error in the French Client) and since they were also old leaks floating around with Female Viera only + Male Ronso Race, them saying "No male Viera!" would have just validate those old leaks and ruined the surprise.
    And it says this...

Basically after that they're allowed to do whatever. And only one Warrior of Light is cannon anyway so it doesn't matter. Also the same exact thing applies for male miqo'te so it doesnt matter.

So whatever their reason it's stupid. But they're gonna add them anyway because people are really annoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Once the leaks are out it's over if they say "Viera is female only." because people would expect to see a Male Ronso Race pop up even if they don't give any details, ruining their surprise.
    And congratulations, the salt is flowing all over the internet because of this wonderful decision of theirs. If they had announced viera as female only in the first place then at least they wouldn't be guilty of deliberately leading people on for several months.
    And it's beyond reason because they warned people by giving in-game lore to ease things up and told them to read carefully and people reacts like SE commited genocide.
    I like that you edited in some extra hyperbole. Makes me wish I had copied over your entire post when I first saw it.

Care to point me to the lore about the hrothgar? I mean, why is it "beyond reason" to think the guy who tells you how male and female viera differ and what roles they play in society could just be providing background lore that really doesn't have any baring on what we can actually play when the end result was that we are given a new race with no lore to speak of?
    They probably had time constraint and couldn't make two full races, so they choose to make one female locked and one male locked.
    So why not the logical choice of making one race with both sexes? Stop making up excuses.
    Even if male Viera made it, people would still be upset because "It's too tall!" or "It's too short and cute!" or "It's too fierce looking!" or ... based on how they would have made it and what each person expectation was.
    Would that be worse? Better? Why bring this up?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    And it says this...

Basically after that they're allowed to do whatever. And only one Warrior of Light is cannon anyway so it doesn't matter. Also the same exact thing applies for male miqo'te so it doesnt matter.

So whatever their reason it's stupid. But they're gonna add them anyway because people are really annoyed.
    "Strict adherence to the Word of the Wood" i.e. They can't leave the Woods ever and must protect it (Maybe they also need to kill any Male Viera that tries to leave who knows). If they need a strict adherence to be allowed solitude and the moment after obtaining this right they leave the Woods well...that's not a strict adherence and so they are not allowed to seek solitude.

I'm iffy on this 1st shard thing and how the expansion is going to seemingly take place on another world. It reminds me of WoD where we'll get a ton of lore for a place besides the main world (though at least Draenor was in the past and so we had past lore built up on before they dropped the ball) and the place we're going to will most likely be completely forgotten about after this expac. Even if the story is 'races evacuating to this shard due to bad stuff occurring on Hydaelyn the danger of this is completely not going to be felt since I'd imagine we'll port right over to Limsa Lominsa and other cities and things will look like normal. In the end I'd rather lore and world building involve our main world and not some other place.

Quote Originally Posted by leviathonlx View Post
    I'm iffy on this 1st shard thing and how the expansion is going to seemingly take place on another world. It reminds me of WoD where we'll get a ton of lore for a place besides the main world (though at least Draenor was in the past and so we had past lore built up on before they dropped the ball) and the place we're going to will most likely be completely forgotten about after this expac. Even if the story is 'races evacuating to this shard due to bad stuff occurring on Hydaelyn the danger of this is completely not going to be felt since I'd imagine we'll port right over to Limsa Lominsa and other cities and things will look like normal. In the end I'd rather lore and world building involve our main world and not some other place.
    It sounds like this expansion will move things as far as the cosmic, overall sweeping story of Hydaelyn, Zodiark and the 14 worlds, so even if it doesn't advance the story of the grand companies and Garlean empire, the nature of the cosmology does mean that whatever happens in this world will probably have a ripple effect back on The Source.

I also feel like, given that only Eorzia is left on the First, and not much of it at that, places like where the Viera come from and the Pixie homeland are probably on Hydaelyn. So if I had to guess, we'll be bouncing between worlds for the storyline here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Care to point me to the lore about the hrothgar? I mean, why is it "beyond reason" to think the guy who tells you how male and female viera differ and what roles they play in society could just be providing background lore that really doesn't have any baring on what we can actually play when the end result was that we are given a new race with no lore to speak of?

So why not the logical choice of making one race with both sexes? Stop making up excuses.

Would that be worse? Better? Why bring this up?
    Care to point the lore about Au Ra when they introduced them ? Okay, I don't see how Hrothgar being added without having any lore as any bearing.
    But they said at Paris FanFest during a Q&A to read carefully what that dude said because they gave hints in there about the state of Male Viera. (And that's what Yoshida repeated in the Keynote yesterday : "They stay hidden.")

Because as I said they wanted (as stated at the end of the keynote yesterday) to give player a race with more beastial attributes, and probably had to decide to gender lock them because not enough time to make two full races.

I bring this up because no matter what people would have been bitching, so nothing matters in the end.

My issue with the Hrothgar is entirely due to how low effort their model feels. The faces are more like masks due to the lack of emotion they showed in that preview.

My issue with the Hrothgar is entirely due to how low effort their model feels. The faces are more like masks due to the lack of emotion they showed in that preview.
    I want to think that they were rushed to be presentable to demo, hence the lack of well-expression faces, obviously Roegadyn skeleton, and copy-paste miqo'te tail.

Hopefully these last three months will be time spent polishing the race and it will look less bad on launch

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly if there was male Viera playable, I'd love to see them as a shota just cause of the weird meme/doujin stuff. Sure it'll never happen but it'd be funny.

Pretty cool they chose Vamo Alla Flamenco.

Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    I want to think that they were rushed to be presentable to demo, hence the lack of well-expression faces, obviously Roegadyn skeleton, and copy-paste miqo'te tail.

Hopefully these last three months will be time spent polishing the race and it will look less bad on launch

Apparently Hrothgar won't be able to wear helmets at release so it really is just an incredibly rushed race.

That's.... actually pretty crappy.

I would have gladly taken Male Viera now and no second race if this is the state of one of those races.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    That's.... actually pretty crappy.

I would have gladly taken Male Viera now and no second race if this is the state of one of those races.
    And the thing is there will probably be people to defend this action from a multi billion dollar company. If Blizzard were to have released the Kul Tiran or any race for that matter (like the updated worgen model this Summer) and said they couldn't wear helmets there'd be blood in the streets.

And the thing is there will probably be people to defend this action from a multi billion dollar company. If Blizzard were to have released the Kul Tiran or any race for that matter (like the updated worgen model this Summer) and said they couldn't wear helmets there'd be blood in the streets.
    As hyped as I am for the expansion there's no defending this.

They should have just stuck with one race and done Hrothgar later. This is just very rushed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know..i think maybe alot of this might be because this may be yoshi p's last expansion..i think he said once he planned to run it through the end of the garlean/ascian story abd if this ends it he might ne moving on. Sooo he is putting alot of stuff he really wanted in game into it

And Viera too, don't keep it out just to make it seems like it's a Hrothgar problem.

Also that's a crappy move...but I don't care since I never wear helmet.