Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I don't know. I think the game does highlight our shortcomings.
    As for dying: well yeah obviously. If we died we wouldn't have a game to play, so naturally our characters have plot armor.
    It does and it doesn't. It points them out, though you never see any of the current leaders replaced or slain for their failings. Whereas they're more than happy to do the same elsewhere.

I don't expect the player character to die, though it has become clear that nobody on the level of Nanamo or Y'shtola is going to bite it, so we can assume they'll prevail in every scene they're in.

I suppose replaying Classic has made me lament the lack of relevance of different factions, organisations and so on. Everybody in FFXIV is either wiped out or forced to adhere to the 'we're all equal' approach which isn't something that interests me in a fictional fantasy setting, I suppose.
    Last edited by Graeham; 2019-08-31 at 08:46 PM.

I'm not saying the story is a masterpiece, just that's its enjoyable enough to keep me going.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I don't expect the player character to die, though it has become clear that nobody on the level of Nanamo or Y'shtola is going to bite it, so we can assume they'll prevail in every scene they're in.
    We have lost scions before and I expect we will lose some in the course of this expansions story.
    I do agree that the Y'shtolas resurrection and the fact that Thancred survived cheapened the story moments quite a bit.

Imagine Shtola being gone like that. Would have been a shock to the player. I was thinking to myself "What a way to go in a flash... would SE really dare to kill her off like that?" Then a saw the windgust and know sth was happening.

I fully expected Thancred to die though.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2019-09-01 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    We have lost scions before and I expect we will lose some in the course of this expansions story.
    I do agree that the Y'shtolas resurrection and the fact that Thancred survived cheapened the story moments quite a bit.

Imagine Shtola being gone like that. Would have been a shock to the player. I was thinking to myself "What a way to go in a flash... would SE really dare to kill her off like that?" Then a saw the windgust and know sth was happening.

I fully expected Thancred to die though.
    That peeved me too. Oh shit she jumped in the pit and sacrificed herself... jk she's ok.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I must be the odd one out, since very little of FFXIV's story is impressing me lately. It has the illusion of nuance, though the writers never seem to actually commit to it other than to use cheap emotional manipulation to make players feel bad for the antagonists as sad music plays during their demise. As for the protagonists? Their hypocrisy is never held to the same standards as that which they hold their enemies to and they're never at any risk of meaningful injury/death. Other than those throwaway secondary characters temporarily elevated to importance.
    i dont think it's the greatest story ever or anything, but i do look forward to continuing each patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    the heirloom ilevel jump doesn't happen until 111 so 110-111 is a HUGE headache on most classes
    It wasn't always like this. I remember when heirlooms would get their big xpack ilevel jump at 58, 68, 78 etc. Now it's like 61, 71, 81 etc. where quest greens in the next xpack's content generally wipes the floor with heirlooms for a couple levels. I don't know what Blizzard's rationale was, but it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ExiHext View Post
    Same with DRG's Life Surge, could be baked into Full Thrust. I'm sure there are more examples. Although I have to say, in AoE situations I tend to use Reassemble with Spread Shot.
    It shouldn't be baked into Full Thrust,
    it should not exist at all for DRG in my opinion.

It's a boring ability, not worth the long cooldown.
    SAM got basically the same thing in a more interesting way - it's called Kaiten.
    In fact, I wish Kaiten would increase your crit chance to 100% instead of adding 50% potency.
    It would open up the way for skill-speed and other secondary stats

But then again, since they added critdamage on crit-rating. It'd probably be even worse.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-09-01 at 07:10 PM.

Actually, Kaiten is much different. Since it's part of SAM's resource management, it's actually part of a system the player has to pay attention to. Especially if Kenki generation isn't completely static due to missed positionals, downtime, AoE, mobility usage, etc. It's absolutely nothing like Reassemble or Life Surge.
    Exactly as I said - the same thing, in a more interesting way....

It's an ability you use to enhance the damage of a weaponskill.
    But unlike Life Surge and Reassamble, it's actually implemented well and interesting
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2019-09-01 at 08:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Which, yeah, just made then cheapening even more pronounced when you come back to the group and he's just there. It's like, "Ok, fine, if you did all that and made that dramatic a scene and made us go through that whole encounter as him and all of that and he's just fine and dandy, then what's it gonna take for anyone to ever be in danger?"
    Which brings me to an interesting question: the scions are only in the first in spirit.
    Is it even possible for them to die? Would they just wake up in Eorzea if they did?

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    The point is whatever you want it to be. There's a segment of every mmo's playerbase that refuses to play with others and wants a purely solo experience. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people ask for this game alone if they can enjoy it solo. People play for all sorts of different reasons, that's really the point.. you can play it however you want to. I played WoW to hardcore raid for years in one of the top guilds in the US, when I'd talk with other people they were basically playing a different game with how differently we experienced it.

Also its a video game, they're all about the content.
    Actually, no mmos have been about exploring content with other players, at it's core. It's just been evolving into this "solo player mindset" thing because of demand. For whatever reason people want to be playing mmos but alone...

And my point wasn't really about how people want to play it, but if someone is getting bored because there's not enough content, perhaps they're playing it for the wrong reason. It's a silly thing to be complaining about. Just go into it as if it was a single player game then, and most single player games have a life span of like 30 hrs anyways. (some have more but usually because of grinding, which can be applied in ff14 as well).

As for your bolded, there are plenty of things that are boring alone, but more fun when doing with friends, and mmos are one of those things. (An example I can think of is an amusement park. Try going to one alone LOL, it's not the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Dugna View Post
    SAM is almost lvl 77 and, its the only job so far i've lvld in 70-80 bracket where its just boring its visually boring and everything also, like it hits hard at times and such but doesn't seem much was added at all.
    That's because not much was added. Single target Guren each two minutes, double Midares or Tenka Goken each minute.

I do like it though. Although I preferred the DoT-Hagakure-Midare cycle of SB instead of DoT-Midare-Midare of ShB ._.

Ya'll hatin on the story right now and this adorable young lady tryina keep it together: https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingWrongElkBCouch

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    Actually, no mmos have been about exploring content with other players, at it's core. It's just been evolving into this "solo player mindset" thing because of demand. For whatever reason people want to be playing mmos but alone...
    Because it is annoying as hell to be always dependent on other players.
    Raids & dungeons are fun together. Open world questing/professions etc.... not so much.

Ya'll hatin on the story right now and this adorable young lady tryina keep it together: https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingWrongElkBCouch
    they need to let her do every xpac story. shadowbringers was hands down the best so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey folks. I wanna get back into this game, but I've run into a doozy of a problem. I can't log into Account Management because I need a one time password from the app on my phone, but I can't use the app on my phone unless I get a password/code from inside my Account Management.

Figure I have to contact support, but wanted to know what I can expect from them as I very rarely have to deal with customer service for games.
    Any details I should provide in the ticket to make it go smooth as possible?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    they need to let her do every xpac story. shadowbringers was hands down the best so far.
    Definitely. Every story has some plot holes in it but I really enjoyed ShB and hope they can keep the momentum and impact in future patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Hey folks. I wanna get back into this game, but I've run into a doozy of a problem. I can't log into Account Management because I need a one time password from the app on my phone, but I can't use the app on my phone unless I get a password/code from inside my Account Management.

Figure I have to contact support, but wanted to know what I can expect from them as I very rarely have to deal with customer service for games.
    Any details I should provide in the ticket to make it go smooth as possible?
    I'm confused, you need a password from inside your account management? Not just your normal password? If yes yeah you'll 100% have to contact support but that makes no sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    Gotta be careful with that, if there's anything I've learned from comics its that even the greatest writers run out of story for a given universe and need to step away.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused, you need a password from inside your account management? Not just your normal password? If yes yeah you'll 100% have to contact support but that makes no sense to me.
    I have my ID and Password. They work. When I log into the Account Management, it asks for a One-Time Password. I go to my One Time password generator app on my phone. Start it up, and it asks for my ID, DoB and a registration password, which is something I can only get from inside my Account Management page.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    I have my ID and Password. They work. When I log into the Account Management, it asks for a One-Time Password. I go to my One Time password generator app on my phone. Start it up, and it asks for my ID, DoB and a registration password, which is something I can only get from inside my Account Management page.
    It asks for your registration code? You'd be able to get that from wherever you bought the game. If you bought it online you should have an email or whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    It asks for your registration code? You'd be able to get that from wherever you bought the game. If you bought it online you should have an email or whatever.
    Nah, its a registration code for the app (it even says in brackets that its found in the account management).