10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Given how unstoppable the Magitek Scorpions were depicted in the 3.5 ending, you'd think that automated, armored warfare would dominate battle. Then again, that portrayal is inconsistent with adventurers casually ripping them apart while strolling through dungeons.
    I hate the term "Adventurer". It just doesn't fit at all.
    If you compare our powerlevel to the average Eorzean, we're basically demigods.

The weakness of the Garleans has always been the inability to use magic of any kind. Ceruleum technology leveled the playing field somewhat but you can imagine what lightning based magic does to most technology.

Still, I agree with you that the Garleans wouldn't need Black Rose, if they'd to proper warfare against Eorza. It's also pretty hilarious that we managed to free Doma and Ala Mhigo. Even with the WoL, the garleans should be able to crush every uprising with pure military might and numbers.

Oh well, every story requires suspension of disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Not to mention that it wasn't Eorzean adventurers - guys carrying swords and spears around - that defeated them, it was dragons. Now they know full well that Midgardsormr is sitting "dead" in the lake now and that the dragons aren't going to be around to save the day anymore.

There's never really a lot of explanation as to why Garlemald doesn't just continue to use their total air superiority to dominate everyone else. Other than it just not fitting well in the current plot and "Well, they're....busy...."
    Garlemald is falling apart due to in-fighting and devolves into full scale civil war by the end of 5.1 with factions fighting one another for control after the Emperor's death.

If you mean before ShB? I feel like people aren't giving magic and the Garleans' inability to not use it a huge pass here. As was mentioned just a few posts ago, Magic is overpowered as hell in FF14. Garlemald is a huge threat but its also a very slow moving creature that takes a long time to get its forces anywhere, which is why governors in places like Doma were needed. They can't just teleport their entire army across the world.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2020-01-10 at 05:11 AM.

Finished HW 3.0 in 7 hours 36 minutes.

I should be able to do 3.1-3.55 in under 10 hours. There aren't 16 padded out quests every patch, so it should go faster. I wonder if I can beat all content up to the current patch before the 100 hour mark.

Shadowbringers 5.0 ending spoilers AND Eden speculation

Spoiler: 

Huh, Hades looks reminiscent of Ascian Prime, most notably with the long arms and long claws. I guess that's the general look of empowered Ascians?

I still don't understand why Emet was seemingly so much more powerful than Ascian Prime. Lahabrea should be slightly more powerful, as he absorbed another 1/14th of a soul in Igeyorhm.

Now this is strange. At first, I thought that this was setting up the Ardbert, the First's fragment of The 14th Member of the Convocation/ The WoL, Hydaelyn's Champion with the Source's fragment, but then I remembered that Ardbert and the Source WoL together make up the same soul. Lahabrea was not sundered, and yet here he is, merging with the shard of a different soul. So apparently people with the Echo can merge with other souls, not just fragments of their own soul?

If so, then I could see either Elidibus or Zenos gobbling up the soul fragments of the other Ascians. They're going to have be dealt with at some point. If you factor in the fact that there are 14 fragments (and discounting The WoL, Emet, Lahabrea, and Elidibus), you have 140 Ascian fragments to deal with. The WoL killed one fragment of Nabriales in 2.5 and the WoL just killed Igeyorhm. That leaves 138 Ascian fragments. Yes, Gaius was going around killing Ascians, but there is no indication that he was using Auracite to destroy their soul fragments. There were probably more than a few Ascian fragments who managed to get themselves perma killed over the thousands of years, but the fact remains that there are almost certainly far too many outstanding Ascian fragments than is feasible to be perma killed by the WoL. Auracite is incredibly the difficult to procure, and a situation like Nidhogg's Eye gobbling up an Ascian is unlikely to happen again, let alone 100 something times. Therefore, I surmise that the remaining fragments will probably be perma killed offscreen, either by Elidibus or Zenos, or possibly Zodiark.

... Unless Ascian fragments aren't innately evil? Emet said that they only go around, fetching Ascian fragments when their position needs to be filled. It could be that Ascian fragments are reincarnated and live normal lives up until Elidibus shows up and gives him his side of the story. The Oracle of Darkness could be an Ascian soul fragment. If we could show her the truth, and she decides to no longer serve Zodiark, then perhaps we won't need to deal with the dozens of remaining Ascian soul fragments at all.

However, if the Ascians were tempered, then are the Ascian fragments unwittingly serving Zodiark, even without knowledge of their true origins? If so, then they will all have to be put down to keep them from resummoning Zodiark. Thus, they'll probably all die offscreen... unless Alisae manages to reverse tempering. In that case, that raises the logistical problems of trying to travel to the other seven remaining shards, track down Ascian soul fragments, and then untemper them. I don't think the story will be going to any other worlds besides the Source, the First, and the Thirteenth. Elidibus is already sending the WoL's remaining soul fragments towards him. Will the WoL be completely rejoined before 6.0? Or are they saving that as the ultimate, climatic powerup transformation for the ending?
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-01-10 at 05:56 AM.

Yeah, it's just one of those things. Final Fantasy has always does this sort of anime "Swords vs. Technology" thing. Like Cloud fighting multiple machine-gun toting soldiers with just a sword. It has always been their style and it doesn't really have to make sense I suppose. We all clearly like it at least a little!
    Whoa, now, wait a minute. I would like to propose, for your consideration, the Buster Sword is actually a shield with a sharp edge. If he holds it in front of him, it protects his entire body from hair spike to foot!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Still, I agree with you that the Garleans wouldn't need Black Rose, if they'd to proper warfare against Eorza. It's also pretty hilarious that we managed to free Doma and Ala Mhigo. Even with the WoL, the garleans should be able to crush every uprising with pure military might and numbers.
    Let's keep the sequence of events in mind, though.

FFXIV - The Garlean fleet is obliterated at Silvertear prior to the start of the story. As a result, Baelsar begins his search for Ultima weapon while Nael was able to convince the Empire to implement the Dalamud Project. Rather than another failed invasion, the Dalamud Project was supposed to crush Eorzean resistance entirely. That not only failed by wiped out a massive number of Garlean forces when Bahamut raged across Carteneau.

A Realm Reborn - Varis zos Galvus was already contesting the throne against his uncle. There was a power struggle within the Empire during the Eorzean campaign leading to the Emperor's death and Varis taking the throne.

Heavensward - Varis is pursuing Allagan technology. Arguably this could be seen as a solution to Garlean power without needing Cerulean fueled magitek. Whatever the motivation, his focus and therefore the focus of the Empire is not currently on expanding their territories, nor does it necessarily mean they were focused on fortifying what they've conquered under his rule.

As with most MMOs, we don't have a real sense of how much time is supposed to be passing from expansion to expansion, so the question is how much time passed in Heavensward.

Even if it's a couple of years, that's not a lot of time to recover and with Varis not focused on reinforcing their territories, it allows Ala Mhigo and Doma to weaken their grasp before we start our coups.

Then you've got Ascians behind the scenes puppeteering aspects of Garlemald during all this and they seem in direct opposition to what Varis wants to do. And of course you've got the full blown civil war now.

I'm sure it's a tough way to tell a story. You've got two sides locked in a war and then suddenly one side has Superman.

It's likely also why our power seems inconsistent from time to time.
    I can accept the WoL casually smashing up Magitek Scorpions that would otherwise obliterate entire armies. The problem arises when you're doing it alongside three other players, and the narrative keeps insisting that their involvement as "your adventurer friends" is in fact canon, which implies that adventurers too can casually smash up Magitek Scorpions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Then you've got Ascians behind the scenes puppeteering aspects of Garlemald during all this and they seem in direct opposition to what Varis wants to do.
    Pretty sure that's the sole reason Eorzea hasn't been conquered.
    Asicans want chaos. Ideally, they WANT us to summon primals like crazy. A conquered and beaten Eorzea, integrated into Garlemald would not be useful in that sense at all.

Still, I don't get it why the WOL gets to outlive so much crap and everyone suddenly proves incompetent at stopping her.
    How hard can it be for a sniper to put a piece of lead through Ifalnas head and be done with it?
    How hard could be for an Ascian to pose as a friendly WAR and lob off her head when she is in mid battle?

Yeah I know, it's so we have a character to play and a story to follow but it just isn't very feasible and frankly put: I'm getting tired of cartoon like villains that seem invincible 90% of the story but always fumble in the critical moment so that the "good guy" can somehow win. That goes for pretty much all story telling done by man.

Take the events of Shadowbringers for instance. If you ask me, what happened here should have cost Ifalna her life. Would I weep bitter tears and never touch Final Fantasy again? Most likely (well... definitely, considering how much I love my lil' Ifalna ^^) but going out in a blaze of glory would be Ifalna's style.

Not having any lasting consequences to her after such an ordeal seems kind of lame. (I really enjoyed the changed victory animation and how tired, beaten and depressed she was directly afterwards, I also cried when Feo'ul was basically panicking because Ifalnas soul started to splinter under all that pressure) Now we're back to "adventuring facerolling and having fun" again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The major cities and places can't just up and disappear or be damaged because I need to sell some stuff I crafted and buy some consumables. Zones and scenery can't just go changing constantly because of developer time and phasing (if it exists in a game) or other player experience consistency issues.

The only time I've ever seen an MMO really make me feel like, "Shit just got real." was the post-ARR stuff right at the end and much of the beginning of HW.
    I think WoW has proven with Darnassus that it can indeed be done.
    The problem is, as you already state, DEV effort. It just doesn't seem to be feasible to follow through to the end, incl. recouping, building them NE's a new city etc.

Absolutely but why did you feel that way? Because NPCs were threatened. NPCs we came to care about. That's basically the only thing left to an MMO, since they can't ever actually harm the player character. In that regard, SE did a wonderful job in ShB so far. I just wish there would be consequences for Ifalna. E.g. psychological scars or anything to indicate that it was actually quite horrible what she had to go through. Imho more so than the usual horrors of war my little kitten has to witness on a daily basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    and maybe for just a minute it made me forget about stats and loot and farming and shit.
    Haha, well, being retired from raiding I rarely think about these things, esp during leveling.

I felt that ShB did a good job with the "weird new land" too, imho they should have restricted porting back into the first far longer. Basically trap the player there until the story is concluded. Though I don't doubt that would cause major forum drama.

Given FFXIV's hesitance to do anything with drastic consequences (the Seventh Calamity didn't wipe out any of the city states or major characters, all characters deaths and implied deaths in the 2.55 ending were retconned in HW, the cataclysmic battle between Shinryu and Omega left no apparent devastation in Ala Mhigo, Ala Mhigo and Doma are casually liberated overnight with few casualties, the Empire decides to get series and sends a mass invasion fleet but nobody dies, etc). Sure, the First or a city state could be lost, but at this point I doubt it will happen.

I think at most, we will see a few character deaths in the final stretch of the story... which would be an odd place to put it. IMO, if you want to do character deaths, you want to do them in the middle part of the story. If you want a feel good happy ending, you don't want to backload character deaths, or otherwise the audience will walk away with a more bitter sweet feeling with the character deaths still in recent memory.

how is the patch looking for february?
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muajin76 View Post
    how is the patch looking for february?
    • Continuation of the MSQ
    • New dungeon
    • New beast tribe
    • New trial
    • + another secret trial (possibly MSQ related?)
    • Eden wing 2 (+ 4 new boss fights)
    • New upgradeable equipment quest, set in Hrothgar capital
    • Ishgard restoration continues
    • Miscellaneous: Diadem reworked, upgradeable tools for crafters, Ocean fishing, new Leap of Faith puzzles

• Continuation of the MSQ
    • New dungeon
    • New beast tribe
    • New trial
    • + another secret trial (possibly MSQ related?)
    • Eden wing 2 (+ 4 new boss fights)
    • New upgradeable equipment quest, set in Hrothgar capital
    • Ishgard restoration continues
    • Miscellaneous: Diadem reworked, upgradeable tools for crafters, Ocean fishing, new Leap of Faith puzzles
    ooh thanks!

I have a question about boss fate loot cooldown. Is there one and if so..what's the timer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only boss fate loot of relevance I'm aware of are guaranteed drops of the really big ones (if you manage gold participation) and with these the CD is the fate spawn timer itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Only boss fate loot of relevance I'm aware of are guaranteed drops of the really big ones (if you manage gold participation) and with these the CD is the fate spawn timer itself.
    I was told archaeotonia had a 72h loot timer. So it's only by spawn timer? what if you kill arch then find him up on another server, can you loot both or have to wait?

10+ Year Old Account
    I was told archaeotonia had a 72h loot timer. So it's only by spawn timer? what if you kill arch then find him up on another server, can you loot both or have to wait?
    That I cannot answer, I've never tried server hopping.
    It's quite possible that they implemented a loot timer with the world visit feature.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no loot timer on the boss fates. The only timer on it is the spawn timer.

Sure, but all that is pointless in the face of Garlean air superiority. Which is a topic that really hasn't been addressed much in the story, honestly. We just kinda pretend they're too busy with other stuff all the time.
    Their air superiority ended in the pre-1.0 stuff, the Agrias was their haymaker and it and most of their air support got taken down by Middy when they woke him up from his nap and he sent the dravanians after the Garlean airship fleet. And then Cid comes along not much longer and gives them knowledge of airships, how to make them, and probably what their weaknesses are. Their air force is still dangerous, but it's not at the point of ending wars before they begin like it was for the Isenbard settlements, Doma, and Ala Mhigo.

Edit: Didn't see I skipped a page full of people saying the same stuff as me, whoops

- - - Updated - - -

I can accept the WoL casually smashing up Magitek Scorpions that would otherwise obliterate entire armies. The problem arises when you're doing it alongside three other players, and the narrative keeps insisting that their involvement as "your adventurer friends" is in fact canon, which implies that adventurers too can casually smash up Magitek Scorpions.
    The way they used to phrase it in 1.0, and attempted to phrase it in 2.0 onward but have forgotten and remembered about it as-needed. The viewpoint character/player/warrior of light is just the strongest of the chosen ones, but there's still other chosen ones.

The Echo is relatively common among people with high enough aether concentration to already be out there making a name for themselves and showing off power, and itself acts as kinda of a capacity upgrade for their aetherpool putting them a level above your normal adventurer.

And then you throw in the Blessing of Light proper, which is what makes the Warrior of Light such an unholy monstrosity that gods are in awe of us by the end of Heavensward alone, but other adventurers do also have the Blessing of Light/Echo combo supercharging them, just not as crazily as the Warrior does.

I treat it with Jojo logic; Strong people with strong powers find themselves drawn to each other.

Shadowbringers at least dances around all of it though, canonically presumably all the mandatory dungeons from here on out will be done with Trusts.
    Last edited by Veluren; 2020-01-14 at 08:56 AM.

btw if I create a new recruitment code but the previous one wasnt used yet, does it eliminate the older one?