Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    Agreed about E7. Its all about understanding the color/portals, and it took me the first week to really understand it. The latter half of the fight with the black/white + portals seems ultra complicated until you realize that based on the color of the North-most portal on the West side of the arena dictates whether you are alternating portals each time, or staying in your same spot.

Shiva sorta reminds me of God Kefka as far as complexity of mechanics. Our major hang up was understanding and actually executing the bowtie strategy of the first Light's Rampant. Shiva has been a much harder fight than Titan, which is great - the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the massive amounts of downtime in the middle during the phase transition after adds.
    As a white mage, let me get my free lillies lel

super close to icelit dragonsong

10+ Year Old Account
    Question for the more veteran players, is there plenty of group based team content or is all the end game focussed around raids?

I used to play a dragoon, what's the state of that class nowadays? If my interest was to mostly look for team gameplay what class would you recommend for me? I can play all roles of the trinity fairly well.

Any answers you could give me would be appreciated

edit: I also don't own any expansion, can i just buy the complete edition and use that for my existing account?
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2020-03-30 at 07:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Decided to try the game, never had a more infuriating time trying to actually play the game than this game...

Purchased it on steam several years ago but never played it after that, so trying to reactivate my account was an utter nightmare, first the launcher on steam failed to launch it (got around it by force running the .exe in the install directory, when i got on the launcher it was incredibly laggy (i have a 144hz monitor, the launcher felt like it was 30fps)

logging in i had several option for a square enix account or a final fantasy account or a steam account or a facebook account (all which are apparently linked already) trying to get my password reset for any of them just kept me going around in circles... after like an hour of that managed to log in (god knows with which account) so it says i don't have a license for the game i purchased years ago so guessed this just meant subscription it directed me to shady ass website (mogsite) which couldn't have made it more confusing to just purchase gametime.

Eventually purchased a service (gametime?) for 30 days, tried logging back in as i thought this would activate my account. Just directs me to mog site again, back to the circle of guessing which account i can actually log in with seen as i purchased the game/ service through steam i thought it would use my steam username/email but nope still the same. Nwo it says i'm locked out for several minutes.

All around utter nightmare, bad experience and first impression of the game.

Edit- k for some reason it didn't like me running it directly from the launcher because it classifies it as a different platform than through steam despite both being the same launcher (like wtf) managed to google a workaround by creating a shortcut and adding issteam to the end...loading up and logged it it acknowledge my license... to find i had a 6gb update, joy...i thought the entire point of steam was to keep games up to date in one unified area.
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2020-03-30 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Question for the more veteran players, is there plenty of group based team content or is all the end game focussed around raids?
    Aside from dungeon every patch that is even easier than current heroics in WoW, there are only raids.
    I used to play a dragoon, what's the state of that class nowadays?
    Insanely boring due to absolutely no variety in gameplay. Or was the question about DPS? All classes are relatively close.
    If my interest was to mostly look for team gameplay what class would you recommend for me? I can play all roles of the trinity fairly well.
    Any class should be fine in terms of output, just play something that doesn't bore you to death. I wish found one, but maybe you're luckier.
    Last edited by Rogalicus; 2020-03-31 at 02:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Except from 4 savage bosses and 2 extreme primals (a competent group downs the latter within one raid evening) every 6 months, there is no "team content" to speak of.
    It's mostly a solo experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Aside from dungeon every patch that is even easier than current heroics in WoW, there are only raids.

Insanely boring due to absolutely no variety in gameplay. Or was the question about DPS? All classes are relatively close.

Any class should be fine in terms of output, just play something that doesn't bore you to death. I wish found one, but maybe you're luckier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Except from 4 savage bosses and 2 extreme primals (a competent group downs the latter within one raid evening) every 6 months, there is no "team content" to speak of.
    It's mostly a solo experience.
    Ah too bad, was looking for something that offered enough teamplay content without getting stuck into a daily schedule to raid.

Bit of both on the dragoon question, but as i never got into heavensward i got more choice now. Good to know there's balance but if there isn't that much challenging content i guess balance means a whole lot less.

I used to play a dragoon, what's the state of that class nowadays? If my interest was to mostly look for team gameplay what class would you recommend for me? I can play all roles of the trinity fairly well.

Any answers you could give me would be appreciated

edit: I also don't own any expansion, can i just buy the complete edition and use that for my existing account?
    If I had to choose 2 melee, Dragoon would always be my first choice

2nd would probably end up being a rdm/sum instead of a melee lel

As for end game group content, theres lots of glamour runs, mount farm groups, fate groups, hunts, maps, ect. that you can just join.

Pug life for savage is extremely viable as well, just put in your research to not be a floor tank dragoon.
    Last edited by Nasuuna; 2020-03-31 at 08:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    If I had to choose 2 melee, Dragoon would always be my first choice

2nd would probably end up being a rdm/sum instead of a melee lel

As for end game group content, theres lots of glamour runs, mount farm groups, fate groups, hunts, maps, ect. that you can just join.

Pug life for savage is extremely viable as well, just put in your research to not be a floor tank dragoon.
    Not in particular stuck a specific class or role, might give healing a go something i usually don't do. Being mostly a Tank/dps.

Farm groups are nice but i was really hoping something like M+ that gives you a challenge, as i doubt i will reboot WoW before the next expac being this far behind and no corruption gear or lego cloak even started.

Not in particular stuck a specific class or role, might give healing a go something i usually don't do. Being mostly a Tank/dps.

Farm groups are nice but i was really hoping something like M+ that gives you a challenge, as i doubt i will reboot WoW before the next expac being this far behind and no corruption gear or lego cloak even started.
    thats the only spot FFXIV doesn't beat WoW for me. There is no equivalent to M+, just progressively harder 8 man content

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm just did some research in Eureka Pagos.
    You still lose 300K xp when dying, xp gain is abysmal.

Though they nerfed that hell but nope. Still a botters world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess i am also really better of even if i don't remember the story fully to level my Dragoon and try alts after that as you get a leveling bonus?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    The end game is unfocused, if there at all. The only things I can think of that could fit the phrase "end game" are raids/trials, which are fun and can keep you busy for a little while depending on how incompetent the people you meet are but they are not like WoW where that's all you will grind for months, and then crafting.

Before you roll your eyes crafting actually has some gameplay to it, with its own skills and rotations, class quests, gear sets, rankings, progression between HQ, Collectable and Expert Recipes, etc. And while like in PvE you can just look up a guide and make some macros to make things trivial you can also try to figure the puzzle out on your own and have more fun. It's not group based so no worries about bringing others down or wasting people's time. Expert Recipes were just recently added and apparently they can't be macro'd and you have to adapt to them on the fly.

Other group content I suppose would be Treasure Maps, Eureka, Heaven on High and Free Company Crafting to name some I know of. The first three are typical PvE where you kill stuff and the fourth is obviously crafting. How do they work? I honestly don't know, I just often see people grouping for that stuff so I know they exist. I'm mostly a solo player and never been in a FC.

I haven't played Dragoon since HW but the friends that play it love it. From what I've heard it's not particularly challenging besides knowing when to use your jumps so you don't end up dead but the gameplay and flavor are fun. And you'll always be brought along for Battle Litany.

If you are interested in teamwork you could go for Dancer or Bard, though personally I find Dancer extremely boring since it's basically just all proc based. If you love throwing buffs at people then Astrologian is definitely for you. If you are interested in APM I believe Ninja is the fastest job in the game and has utility in Trick Attack. If you are looking for a lot of mobility like a DH you have Red Mage and you are the best resser in the game. I mean it really depends on what you want, there's something for everyone and every job brings something unique to help the party besides Black Mage and Samurai.

You should log in to the MogStation and see what upgrades you have available and from where. I think that would be the safest way to do it since there's three versions of the game (PS4, Steam, PC) and none are compatible with each other and SE will not give you a refund if you messed up even though it's their fault.

Guess i am also really better of even if i don't remember the story fully to level my Dragoon and try alts after that as you get a leveling bonus?
    Sort of. Any job under the level of your highest level job gets 100% exp bonus, that means if you stopped your DRG at 45 and start leveling a conjurer you will get 100% more exp until you are 45, then you are leveling as normal. So there's really no drawback in that regard to switching to another job except you'll be delaying progress on the MSQ. Generally people will focus on only one job and get it to cap so everything they do afterwards always has bonus exp.
    Last edited by Hyral; 2020-03-31 at 10:11 PM.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    The end game is unfocused, if there at all. The only things I can think of that could fit the phrase "end game" are raids/trials, which are fun and can keep you busy for a little while depending on how incompetent the people you meet are but they are not like WoW where that's all you will grind for months, and then crafting.

Before you roll your eyes crafting actually has some gameplay to it, with its own skills and rotations, class quests, gear sets, rankings, progression between HQ, Collectable and Expert Recipes, etc. And while like in PvE you can just look up a guide and make some macros to make things trivial you can also try to figure the puzzle out on your own and have more fun. It's not group based so no worries about bringing others down or wasting people's time. Expert Recipes were just recently added and apparently they can't be macro'd and you have to adapt to them on the fly.

Other group content I suppose would be Treasure Maps, Eureka, Heaven on High and Free Company Crafting to name some I know of. The first three are typical PvE where you kill stuff and the fourth is obviously crafting. How do they work? I honestly don't know, I just often see people grouping for that stuff so I know they exist. I'm mostly a solo player and never been in a FC.

I haven't played Dragoon since HW but the friends that play it love it. From what I've heard it's not particularly challenging besides knowing when to use your jumps so you don't end up dead but the gameplay and flavor are fun. And you'll always be brought along for Battle Litany.

If you are interested in teamwork you could go for Dancer or Bard, though personally I find Dancer extremely boring since it's basically just all proc based. If you love throwing buffs at people then Astrologian is definitely for you. If you are interested in APM I believe Ninja is the fastest job in the game and has utility in Trick Attack. If you are looking for a lot of mobility like a DH you have Red Mage and you are the best resser in the game. I mean it really depends on what you want, there's something for everyone and every job brings something unique to help the party besides Black Mage and Samurai.

You should log in to the MogStation and see what upgrades you have available and from where. I think that would be the safest way to do it since there's three versions of the game (PS4, Steam, PC) and none are compatible with each other and SE will not give you a refund if you messed up even though it's their fault.

Sort of. Any job under the level of your highest level job gets 100% exp bonus, that means if you stopped your DRG at 45 and start leveling a conjurer you will get 100% more exp until you are 45, then you are leveling as normal. So there's really no drawback in that regard to switching to another job except you'll be delaying progress on the MSQ. Generally people will focus on only one job and get it to cap so everything they do afterwards always has bonus exp.
    Thanks for the reply,

Don't mind crafting being more challenging in general i enjoy mmo's that turn it into a mini game. Fun sized forge (DQ11) what i played recently comes to mind.

Still wrapping my head around the dragoon end up getting killed rather easily in my level range by mobs near my level range but that could be a gear thing. Guessing the blackmage and samurai are more raw damage classes one being caster the other being melee.

Simply bought the game from their store as i googled and bumped into the rule 'buy everything from the same place' and i remember not buying it on steam so i bought it back on their store. 50% of on the entire thing including the collector edition was a nice deal, as it was only about 39 euros.

Ah that's nice to know, guess i should really work through the MSQ as apparently things get better after the base game content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't mind crafting being more challenging in general i enjoy mmo's that turn it into a mini game.
    It's not challenging at all.
    It's a gear grind / Materia overmeld RNG slotmachine. Not as bad as in the ARR days though, they've eased up on the grind.
    Yep, you need gear to pass certain stat thresholds in order for the game to allow you to craft an item.

Most fun part is coming up with skill combinations that work at your given item level.
    You can use this, if you don't feel like pointlessly wasting resources in game: https://ffxivteamcraft.com/simulator/

Don't mind crafting being more challenging in general i enjoy mmo's that turn it into a mini game. Fun sized forge (DQ11) what i played recently comes to mind.
    When I played DQ11, I had a feeling that Fun-sized forge was designed by someone who saw FFXIV crafting and made enormous effort to actually make it fun.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    When I played DQ11, I had a feeling that Fun-sized forge was designed by someone who saw FFXIV crafting and made enormous effort to actually make it fun.
    Awh that's disappointing that it isn't fun. Oh well let's see if i last past the ARR content first

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Awh that's disappointing that it isn't fun. Oh well let's see if i last past the ARR content first
    That's a bit quick in taking someone's opinion for fact. Fun is pretty subjective. I'd say unlock one of the crafting classes and level it for a bit to see if you are into it. They nerfed the exp required to level them so it shouldn't take too long to get some levels and get a feel for it. It's not as interactive as DQ11 or has the fancy UI but I do see some similarities in concept, of trying to balance the progress and quality of an item before you run out of durability. It's worth a try.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    That's a bit quick in taking someone's opinion for fact. Fun is pretty subjective. I'd say unlock one of the crafting classes and level it for a bit to see if you are into it. They nerfed the exp required to level them so it shouldn't take too long to get some levels and get a feel for it. It's not as interactive as DQ11 or has the fancy UI but I do see some similarities in concept, of trying to balance the progress and quality of an item before you run out of durability. It's worth a try.
    You are right, i was going to see for myself regardless and the truth will probably be somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Edit: With that said, if you enjoy playing markets, finding niches, or just making currency in general, the XIV economy itself can be a lot more fun than other MMOs.
    I don't think I ever bought anything on market board, so not exactly sure what economy there is in the game.
    Looking for Raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    The entire system only exists to require you to build up your crafting stats by way of blowing tons of gil.
    If you want to be one of the first to have the ability to craft (and make a ton of profits) yes.
    Else, you don't need to spend much to get the stats.