Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    • FFXIV is first and foremost an epic JRPG. It is an MMO second. If you don't like sitting through 100+ hours of cutscenes then you might want to look elsewhere.
    • The first story arc, A Realm Reborn (ARR) starts out really boring. First 20-30 hours of the game can feel like a bunch of sidequests. Doesn't help the English dub of ARR is rather meh. The story begins to pick up around patch 2.3 (about 40 hours into the game if you JUST do the main story). Once you reach the first expansion, Heavensward, it's all good from there. FFXIV starting from Heavensward is on par with the Trails series as the best JRPG I've ever played. They changed voice recording studios for Heavensward so starting with HW you get a good English dub.
    • Your starting job doesn't matter. At level 10 (about 2 hours of play) you can try out other jobs. If you want to get a taste of what a job plays like at latter levels, you'll want to go to Palace of the Dead (which allows you to try out jobs at higher levels).
    • The vanilla jobs don't tend to get their core mechanics until the level 60s and 70s. If you switch to a post-launch job like Ninja, Dark Knight, Astrologian, Machinist, Samurai, Red Mage, Gunbreaker, or Dancer, you get to the fun job mechanics a lot more quickly. You can switch to Ninja at level 10, and if you own the Stormblood expansion, you can switch to Samurai or Red Mage as soon as you beat the 2.0 ARR storyline (which takes about 20 hours if you only do the main story).
    Cheers man. I can sift through boring shit to get to the good stuff. I don't mind. Might as well download it. Worst case scenario I hate it and best case I enjoy it.

I'll probably play a ranged and if I enjoy the thing buy the expansions and get Red Mage. Red Mage has been one of my all time favorites in FF since I first played with it in 5.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    i wish they stuck with the eureka formula. just some casual content to hang around and kill NMs.loved it in stormblood.

bozja is meh for how long it took. the map is ugly and having half the number of people in the instance made it feel kinda empty and boring. not really a fan of the critical engagement either. just felt like a way to make NMs lag less by having a limit of people. idk what's up with the fates too but it's like they end in 5 sec most of the time or there's just nobody there to help.
    I wasn't there when Eureka was new but I can say Bozja feels really disappointing.

I agree with the looks of the place. I'm sure someone will try to defend it by mentioning it's a battlefield and not supposed to be pretty but then Ghimlyt Dark is one of my favorite dungeons and that actually does feel like a battlefield and it's impressive. Bozja is just a bunch of mud.

The design of the map is atrocious as well and I believe part of the reason why it feels empty. Because it's basically just a really long strip of land in the form of an S you have people spread out too much with very few options for traveling around. I believe had it been a large battlefield or had more options to travel between the three sections besides the two choke points it would feel more populated as people can move around more freely.

The Critical Engagements feel tacked on. I've never done a Notorious Monster but by your comparison it sounds like they were CEs without the limit? I would love that. What's the point of putting bosses in the open world when you'll just corral people into a circle for them? At this rate I would have rather just have a new dungeon with actually good environments and dedicated bosses than this mess where it feels nothing really meshes together to give a complete experience.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyral View Post
    The Critical Engagements feel tacked on. I've never done a Notorious Monster but by your comparison it sounds like they were CEs without the limit? I would love that. What's the point of putting bosses in the open world when you'll just corral people into a circle for them? At this rate I would have rather just have a new dungeon with actually good environments and dedicated bosses than this mess where it feels nothing really meshes together to give a complete experience.
    Compared to CEs, NE's were mostly braindead zergs.
    The whole point of segregating a limited number of players is to be able to provide some resemblance of challenge and free them from outward interference.
    I have to admit, I was being sceptical at first but they work really well. Best feature of the zone by a long shot.

I agree that both the maps layout and the visuals look like they let the interns intern that just saw a WW1 movie design the place. It's depressing and the long corridor is annoying.

Ishgard GSM Achievement at 175K/500K ... that's a lot of crafts :X
    Last edited by Granyala; 2020-10-18 at 07:49 PM.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    The whole point of segregating a limited number of players is to be able to provide some resemblance of challenge and free them from outward interference.
    Which beats the point of having them in the open world. That's my only issue. I like the encounters but they don't really feel they belong there, I rather have things like World Bosses.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

I wasn't there when Eureka was new but I can say Bozja feels really disappointing.

I agree with the looks of the place. I'm sure someone will try to defend it by mentioning it's a battlefield and not supposed to be pretty but then Ghimlyt Dark is one of my favorite dungeons and that actually does feel like a battlefield and it's impressive. Bozja is just a bunch of mud.

The design of the map is atrocious as well and I believe part of the reason why it feels empty. Because it's basically just a really long strip of land in the form of an S you have people spread out too much with very few options for traveling around. I believe had it been a large battlefield or had more options to travel between the three sections besides the two choke points it would feel more populated as people can move around more freely.

yea basically eureka could have 144 people in an instance and the NMs would just spawn in the zone so everyone could kill them. idk why they cut the number of people down so much and then also tacked on some player limit to the CE where you have a handful of people just sitting and watching but it feels pretty lame. i could spend all day in eureka but i got tired of bozja after an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which beats the point of having them in the open world. That's my only issue. I like the encounters but they don't really feel they belong there, I rather have things like World Bosses.
    They are world bosses. This is as close to interesting content in the open world that cannot be zerged as you are going to get.

- - - Updated - - -

i could spend all day in eureka but i got tired of bozja after an hour.
    Yeah right. It's literally the same thing, except now, you do not have to farm trivial mobs that do not give xp and don't drop anything for 20 minutes to get a FATE mob to pop that will be invisible if you are too far away, with half the players disappearing all the damn time.

Yes there are fewer people, that's a good thing because Eureka had more than the engine could handle properly.

They are world bosses. This is as close to interesting content in the open world that cannot be zerged as you are going to get.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah right. It's literally the same thing, except now, you do not have to farm trivial mobs that do not give xp and don't drop anything for 20 minutes to get a FATE mob to pop that will be invisible if you are too far away, with half the players disappearing all the damn time.

Yes there are fewer people, that's a good thing because Eureka had more than the engine could handle properly.
    guess it's preference. i liked the more casual approach. i already clear savage i don't need dungeon bosses in a death square in my eureka.

10+ Year Old Account
    guess it's preference. i liked the more casual approach. i already clear savage i don't need dungeon bosses in a death square in my eureka.
    I dislike the AFK nature of Eureka. You were basically waiting for Fates to spawn because the normal mobs died so fast it was meaningless to contribute or your level gimped you so hard that it was double meaningless.

I wouldn't compare CE's to savage. They aren't hard by any stretch. They merely require you to not be AFK. Sure, they instagib you a few times until you've understood the mechanics but that was true to Eurekas Fates as well.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    I mean, the fact that you guys are suggesting that people find a Discord to set up a structured group for this stuff kind of tells the story. I'm a casual player who has only a handful of hours to put into the game on the weekends. I'm not going to go through all of that...this isn't an Extreme trial or raid. None of this content in Bozja is easy to just hop into, nor is it fun. That is the problem. What does this patch offer for a player like me?

First impressions are everything and, well, I hate it. No one else in the groups I was in seemed to like it either. Like I said, I encountered so much toxicity that it has sworn me off of it entirely. If you enjoy it, I am glad for you, and glad that you have the time to invest. As for me, I'm going to have to pass. Very, very disappointed.

Re: the grind I was mostly referring to the gear you buy with the coins. I was looking forward to getting a set of gear but the amount of Castrum runs it would take is just....yeah, no. I'll just keep slowly capping allegory each week.
    You don't have to do it that way, it's just far more likely to succeed due to the coordination. But the one time I cleared it was from a PUG, with 32/48 people and someone explaining the mechanics prior to the pull.

Give it a week or so and people will be farming the hell out of it and the success rates will be much higher.

I agree that for "casual" content it's ridiculous, but it's FAR from impossible to get it done in a PUG.

And with that said, it's not even remotely required since you can do the entire relic grind outside of it, so no need to even step foot into the Bozjan front if you don't want to.

yea basically eureka could have 144 people in an instance and the NMs would just spawn in the zone so everyone could kill them. idk why they cut the number of people down so much and then also tacked on some player limit to the CE where you have a handful of people just sitting and watching but it feels pretty lame. i could spend all day in eureka but i got tired of bozja after an hour.
    The problem with that is NMs were a mess to try to fight. When you have that many people aoes don't hit people, and if there are too many people the mob just disappears. It's to make the fights an actual challenge instead of

"oops you died because there were so many people the aoes didn't show."

If you don't like the content, you don't have to do the content. You'll miss out on the 24/48 man next patch but if you really hate Bozja just don't do it.

I think the point is also to allow for challenge, open world encounters just turn into zerg fests with no penalty for just throwing bodies at it until it dies. That's not interesting to me.

I dislike the AFK nature of Eureka. You were basically waiting for Fates to spawn because the normal mobs died so fast it was meaningless to contribute or your level gimped you so hard that it was double meaningless.

I wouldn't compare CE's to savage. They aren't hard by any stretch. They merely require you to not be AFK. Sure, they instagib you a few times until you've understood the mechanics but that was true to Eurekas Fates as well.
    is bozja not afk content? just sit around and queue for CE when they pop up. like i said it is preference. eureka felt more social and enjoyable to me so far.

Did my first run of the Castrum, wiped once on the last boss but got it down on the second. Honestly its brief but i enjoyed it more than any of the NieR raids thus far and thats coming from a huge DrakeNieR fan. So while that sucks this was fun. Shame its going to end up a ghost town for nothing but a few diehards in a month or two when everyone does it for the story and peaces out at the gear prices.

people who tag along rare spawn trains and then use death to instakill the mob should be dragged out of their homes and shot

We clearly said multiple times in /shout "DON'T USE DEATH ON THE MOB OR EVERYONE ELSE WON'T GET LOOT!" and some asshole did it for the entire length of the train. He was probably doing it as a red mage so he could insta cast it without people noticing him.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, apparently there is an ultra easy way to farm clusters

Join a Castrum premade, and during the hour long wait for Castrum to spawn, the premade spreads out across the farming spots, with a member from each party at each farming spot.

You don't have to fight a mob to get clusters from it; someone in your party can be fighting mobs on the other side of the map and you will still get the clusters.

So with your party covering four cluster farm spots, you will get clusters at 4x the rate. 100 clusters in half an hour. Capped within an hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, apparently there is an ultra easy way to farm clusters

Join a Castrum premade, and during the hour long wait for Castrum to spawn, the premade spreads out across the farming spots, with a member from each party at each farming spot.

You don't have to fight a mob to get clusters from it; someone in your party can be fighting mobs on the other side of the map and you will still get the clusters.

So with your party covering four cluster farm spots, you will get clusters at 4x the rate. 100 clusters in half an hour. Capped within an hour.
    Yeah if your group gets a fresh instance it pretty much goes: Spawn into fresh instance - kill all star mobs - cluster farm until 15 minutes remain until spawn - get priority buff and work of lost actions.

10+ Year Old Account
    is bozja not afk content? just sit around and queue for CE when they pop up. like i said it is preference. eureka felt more social and enjoyable to me so far.
    You can do that but your odds of actually getting inside are much better if you participate in the FATEs that spawn the CE.
    Also: you majority of mettle will come from the small fates.

As for the social aspect: exactly the same thing. The mob runs from Fate to Fate do try to spawn CEs. Really all that has happened is that SE substituted nonsensical trash with small Fates that are actually worth doing. On top of that, you have cluster farm groups, because these actually come from non Fate mobs. Chat is highly active, looks pretty social to me.

Of course if you only want to sit in the base and complain about not getting invites to CEs you didn't help spawn.... be my guest.

- - - Updated - - -

people who tag along rare spawn trains and then use death to instakill the mob should be dragged out of their homes and shot

We clearly said multiple times in /shout "DON'T USE DEATH ON THE MOB OR EVERYONE ELSE WON'T GET LOOT!" and some asshole did it for the entire length of the train. He was probably doing it as a red mage so he could insta cast it without people noticing him.
    The only one that deserves to get shot is the DEV that came up with the loot penalty.

Welp just started the game and I'm a level 9 Thaumaturge at the moment and so far while it's a bit slow it feels nice.

Thanalan is gorgeous as fuck too.
    Last edited by pepine; 2020-10-19 at 04:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pepine View Post
    Welp just started the game and I'm a level 9 Thaumaturge at the moment and so far while it's a bit slow it feels nice.

Thanalan is gorgeous as fuck too.
    Thaumaturge/BLM never really speeds up much since its the turret class/job. But yeah the game is fairly slow until you get a ton of oGCD skills later on. And also realize that Thanalan is the desert section of the world

Western and Eastern Thanalan are probably the best looking zone in ARR, probably because of the gorgeous long draw distance scenary shots with the mountains in the background. The other ARR zones don't really have that (except maybe the southern part of South Shroud, beautiful sunrises to amazing music).

Quote Originally Posted by listo95 View Post
    Thaumaturge/BLM never really speeds up much since its the turret class/job. But yeah the game is fairly slow until you get a ton of oGCD skills later on. And also realize that Thanalan is the desert section of the world
    Yeah I noticed from the looks.... I like desert zones. Deserts, Snowfields and Jungles I like. Uldah is awesome too. It reminds me of FF12 in a way.

I don't mind if it's slow either. Mages in Final Fantasy are my favorite. White, Red, Blue, Black, Time, Green, Sage you name it.

A friend told me Red Mage here isn't like it was in 11 but I don't mind.
    Last edited by pepine; 2020-10-19 at 04:34 AM.