Quote Originally Posted by listo95 View Post
    The opener is insanely easy also lol.
    Standard Finish - Technical Step/Finish - Flourish - Reverse Cascade or Rising Windmill - Devilment - follow priority.

- - - Updated - - -

And this is not me bashing the job lol, I main DNC. I just love the aesthetic so much.
    ya I'm digging it more than I though I would.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    That would depend if you mean a mechanical archetype or a job fantasy one. Mechanically, there's space for a DoT orentated melee and a pet orentated melee without overlapping.

From a fantasy perspective, there's lots of scope for a technology themed melee, Battlemages, straight forward big hitters, Strength based dual wielders and, well... Pretty much anything really. Were it up to me, I'd like a 2h hammer wielding Job that doesn't do anything fancy, but just smashes things with it. It's a niche that has been sorely missing in FF14.
    More referring to the big fantasy tropes. There's still plenty of room to add new ones, as slightly different flavors of the already filled roles, but they have the big ones filled.

Agreed 100% on the mechanics though. I would hope that with a DoT oriented melee they would stray from the rote combo based ones they already have. Monk and Dragoon both have DoT's that are part of their "core" rotation, so having another class that plays similarly but just does less damage with their melee attacks and relies instead on the damage from their DoT's would be boring. The game play would need to be fundamentally different from the other melee jobs for me to want to play it. Of the melee DPS jobs, the only one I like is Ninja because it does feel different enough with the Mudras.

Melee job with a pet would be cool if they actually let it be a pet and not do what they did to SMN and just give it an animal that follows you but isn't really functionally different from a DoT. Puppetmaster could fit here, as could Beastmaster. But I want them to fix what they did to SMN first (or at least alongside the patch that introduces another pet class), I used to love it, but Shadowbringers killed it.

Red Mage somewhat fills the battle mage role, but I would really enjoy one that's more melee oriented than ranged.

The class from FFXI that I wished they translated over was Blue Mage, but they went with the FF5 iteration instead. Would have loved to have them be a melee job that mixed martial arts and monster spells rather than what we have. BLU is still fun, though, I just liked the FFXI version better...MUCH better.

I'm currently at 73 minutes as Warrior in a queue for the crystal tower raids. This is suffering.

Bosses, as has been said hundreds of times before, are all just a case of learning the safety dance. I don't think I've ever seen one where the group has needed to quickly readjust on the fly. WoW was doing this as far back as BWL with his Chromagus and Nefarian and hasn't really ever stopped since.
    This will always remain the same I believe.
    Healers, cooldowns, abilities such are relying on timed mechanics that always work the same.
    The classes are based on intervals way too much and some classes would never be able to work with anything else properly.

The only "adjusting" you will see is stuff like E10S shadow positions and player positioning.
    That counts, kinda, but it's far away from "yo, I'm gonna soak this puddle alone because I have turtle up, ignore stacking and move the boss properly and trigger the next phase" or something like that.

I'd prefer the WoW version too, simply because it's way easier for me to adjust than learning 10 minute fights without mixing up anything, especially since the mechanics keep stacking and stacking up in FFXIV to the point where you are not sure anymore where you are at since the first 3-5 minutes of a fight become boring rather quickly, after doing them like 20 times in a row and you start dozing off, just to wipe at the next mechanic which you didn't understand yet. Without encounter guides, we would've been absolutely baffled sometimes. Not sure how players figure stuff out in this game. Some things are obvious, some others are just plain "invisible" unless you got the correct camera angle or positioned yourself correctly by chance.

It took as several tries to understand why we would get "damage down" in E11S from the "blue puddles" even though the boss disappeared with the "fiery aura", so the blue puddles are actually the safe ones.
    Just by chance we figured that we have to stay closer to the middle, even though there was no indication as to what would hit us when we were staying at the edge of the arena. Actually, I still don't understand why we can't stay there, because there is nothing that hits you there.

It's way harder to see what actually happens in your raid in FFXIV than in WoW.
    I kinda hate that.

The current savage raid is harder for me than entry level SL-Mythic raid encounters, almost annoyingly so because it's just heartbreaking to mess up one mechanic 8 minutes in and wipe the whole raid because a battlerez won't select you fast enough for the follow-up mechanic and stuff like that.
    I honestly think that the current savage encounters are all E8S-tier.
    I'm not even at E12S yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Frankly I'd be happy if they just tuned level cap versions of leveling dungeons. It was so tiresome running the same two dungeons for 3-6 months when all the dungeons I leveled up through were basically never seen again upon reaching the cap.
    Yes, i totally agree. The leveling dungeons are wasted big time.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I'm currently at 73 minutes as Warrior in a queue for the crystal tower raids. This is suffering.
    idk what data center but on aether everyone is just spamming syrcus tower. the queues are less than 5 min all day. same with void ark and rabanastre.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Getting to rank 15 in the first place is pretty hard, so people are incentivized NOT to run DR until they hit rank 15.
    It's not even remotely hard. O_o
    It's complete peanuts compared to the grind to finish even one of the relics.

Don't be discouraged by the large numbers, you get xp like candy at higher levels, especially in zone 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by listo95 View Post
    That's about it. Press the shiny button and win while using things on CD. At least you look glorious while doing it!
    Which is the entire point for this job. Dazzling the male audience... well I would, If I were 10 years younger. ._.

15+ Year Old Account
    I need aviator sunglasses in this game, and I need them right now.
    RIGHT.
    NOW!

My biggest hope here is that they clean up the Scholar at the same time. At the moment, it's a complete and utter mess, both in terms of it's gameplay and it's identity. It's got far too many redundent tools (Do I really need 3 different kinds of AoE Shield?), too many niche use skills (Dispersion) and mechanics that don't really work or have any kind of interplay (Fairy Gauge).

I get that they want to have two healers be focused on throughput and two on preventative shielding, but how they're going to make the Sage different from the Scholar when they've already had to give the Scholar slightly different flavours of the same skill remains to be seen.
    The thing is, to make a sage actually a sage in any way, shape or form they'd need to go down something like the discipline priest route in wow, so making a healer that doesn't DPS as a filler, but DPS to heal/shield. But from what people speculate it will probably be 2 shield and 2 throughput healers, and I hope they have enough ideas to make that work as you said, because otherwise I'd have rather kept the status quo of having one of each and a hybrid with astrologian.

Edit I guess they could also make AST and SCH some kind of buff healers and make WHM and Sage more DPS oriented? I could see that being at least interesting (though I doubt it would work well with their current encounte design).
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-02-10 at 11:10 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Just tried the free trial. Was pretty shocked to see you get the entire first expansion with it. That's insane.

My biggest gripe with this game so far is in regards to the Cinematics, especially for bosses. They're pretty fucking long, and it's kinda exhausting.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    idk what data center but on aether everyone is just spamming syrcus tower. the queues are less than 5 min all day. same with void ark and rabanastre.
    I see his problem, he's queueing as tank. Tank queues for 24mans are usually trash, healer/dps are gonna be the better choices for queueing.

Quote Originally Posted by threadz View Post
    spent the weekend doing 51 old alliance raids for my ShB relic. still can't believe this is what the community wanted over eureka.
    It is absolutely not what the community wanted.

The issue with Eureka, and Bozja was heading the same direction, was that if you were late to the train you were left behind and couldn't really catch up. In Eureka if you were an entire patch behind and missed the train for one of the Eureka zones and everyone had moved onto the next one, you were done, at least unless you were willing to go it solo or with maybe one other person for HOURS....which is a lot to ask, and felt horrible. I never saw the last zone of Eureka or Baldesion Arsenal because I skipped out on the patch that introduced the second area.

To insinuate that because we didn't necessarily want another Eureka style area where you could get left behind and therefore likely not be able to progress does NOT mean we were advocating for having to run old raids 50+ times. Nobody asked for that.

There is a middle ground. SE apparently is still trying to find it though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    It's not even remotely hard. O_o
    It's complete peanuts compared to the grind to finish even one of the relics.

Don't be discouraged by the large numbers, you get xp like candy at higher levels, especially in zone 3.
    It just takes a long time, is all. So losing mettle before getting there just makes it take that much longer, which is super annoying.

I hated the xp loss in Eureka, and hate the mettle loss in Bozja, though I do like that you can't rank down. But just knowing that for every death I have to spend at least X more time building it back up just kills the motivation to do any content where death is highly likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Just tried the free trial. Was pretty shocked to see you get the entire first expansion with it. That's insane.

My biggest gripe with this game so far is in regards to the Cinematics, especially for bosses. They're pretty fucking long, and it's kinda exhausting.
    You can turn them off after the first time you see them, for sure. Not 100% sure if you can skip them before that. The only ones I know you can't skip at all are the two required 8 man dungeons at the end of the ARR story, Castrum Meridianum and Praetorium.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The thing is, to make a sage actually a sage in any way, shape or form they'd need to go down something like the discipline priest route in wow, so making a healer that doesn't DPS as a filler, but DPS to heal/shield. But from what people speculate it will probably be 2 shield and 2 throughput healers, and I hope they have enough ideas to make that work as you said, because otherwise I'd have rather kept the status quo of having one of each and a hybrid with astrologian.

Edit I guess they could also make AST and SCH some kind of buff healers and make WHM and Sage more DPS oriented? I could see that being at least interesting (though I doubt it would work well with their current encounte design).
    With the current encounter design this would sadly result in sage and white mage being the only meta healer jobs and you d wanna run the 2 of them every single time to bring the big dick damage as full time healing is not a thing in this game assuming people know how to play and learn an encounter. Hence why healer dps is such an encouraged thing in this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It just takes a long time, is all. So losing mettle before getting there just makes it take that much longer, which is super annoying.

I hated the xp loss in Eureka, and hate the mettle loss in Bozja, though I do like that you can't rank down. But just knowing that for every death I have to spend at least X more time building it back up just kills the motivation to do any content where death is highly likely.
    Unless you are really REALLY bad at mechanics, death is actually quite unlikely once you've seen the criticals a few times.
    Even Chocobro is smooth sailing nowadays.

Also, unless you wipe and have to release, penalty is minimal. So even if I died 3x during a critical at the start, the whole shabang was still a net gain.

Thankfully the penalty is nowhere near as absurd as it was in Eureka. That one REALLY sucked.

Unless you are really REALLY bad at mechanics, death is actually quite unlikely once you've seen the criticals a few times.
    Even Chocobro is smooth sailing nowadays.

Also, unless you wipe and have to release, penalty is minimal. So even if I died 3x during a critical at the start, the whole shabang was still a net gain.

Thankfully the penalty is nowhere near as absurd as it was in Eureka. That one REALLY sucked.
    I haven't been in there in a few weeks, so am not sure how bad or good it is. I just know that even after a few weeks, people were still dying consistently to mechanics in Chocobro, the big metal scorpion one and the big robot one. I never did get Chocobro down, though I was close.

I'm really not interested in Savage or the Relic grind, so I don't see myself ever going back in just to hit Rank 15. I'd need almost 200k mettle to rank up, which isn't THAT bad, but is still a few hours worth of grinding.

Bozja just isn't fun, IMO. The loss of mettle on death just makes it worse, even if it's not that bad. I only ever did it for the story, and because I knew the Relic was attached to it. Didn't know the relic grind would be like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    With the current encounter design this would sadly result in sage and white mage being the only meta healer jobs and you d wanna run the 2 of them every single time to bring the big dick damage as full time healing is not a thing in this game assuming people know how to play and learn an encounter. Hence why healer dps is such an encouraged thing in this game.
    Yeah I know, hence why I doubt it would work. They could make the "buffs" obviously offenisive in nature but the balance act would probably be too delicate as well. Well, I'm eagerly waiting for how they will resolve the job niches .
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Yeah I know, hence why I doubt it would work. They could make the "buffs" obviously offenisive in nature but the balance act would probably be too delicate as well. Well, I'm eagerly waiting for how they will resolve the job niches .
    I m just really baffled by their decision to split healer roles. Back in ShB they said they did not release a 4th healer because they didnt want to make the division between barrier and pure healers and thus they also abolished strict main tanks and off tanks. And now they publicly announced that they are balancing and designing with this in mind. Like... a little weird of an announcement.

Finished the Valentine's Day/Little Lady's day 2021 event.

Is it me, or was this year's event awfully light on content? The quest was done in 15 minutes, when usually they are about like half an hour long at least? And there were no optional fluff scenes like in prior events. Also kinda sucks that we are getting one less seasonal event this year since these two events were merged.

I did like the idea of the NPCs of different seasonal events getting to meet each other, but I don't think you need to sacrifice a seasonal event to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I haven't been in there in a few weeks, so am not sure how bad or good it is. I just know that even after a few weeks, people were still dying consistently to mechanics in Chocobro, the big metal scorpion one and the big robot one. I never did get Chocobro down, though I was close.
    WTF..... your realm cluster must be hilariously bad.
    For us, Chocobro was no problem since Day 3 or so. Sure lots of peeps die but as long as you don't wipe who cares.

Still, if it isn't fun, it's better not to do it. Supposed to be a game after all.

WTF..... your realm cluster must be hilariously bad.
    For us, Chocobro was no problem since Day 3 or so. Sure lots of peeps die but as long as you don't wipe who cares.

Still, if it isn't fun, it's better not to do it. Supposed to be a game after all.
    I'm on the Crystal Data Center and groups still wipe to Red Choctober and the math robot.