Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Yep. See, this to me is a much bigger issue than not enough people dying. It's all the "fake out" deaths that get jam packed in. "Oh no! Will he/she be ok?!?!" Yes. Of course they will. Every.single.time.
    Let alone how many times theyve reverse literal deaths -- Yshtola twice.

5.55 MSQ thoughts

Spoiler: 
    The beastmen voices continue to suck

*sigh* and all of the beast tribe conflicts are swept under the rug.

Lots of people patting each other on the back and other fluff over actual interesting stuff like coming up with a plan.

How can this meeting be "representative of all Eorzea" if Idyllshire, the Moogles, and Dravania are not represented?

*sigh* seeking out money and glory is being demonized as a motivation for joining the Scions. Look, just because someone wants to make money doesn't mean that they're also going to sell you out to evil doers. There are degrees here, and people can have a mixture of motivations. Weren't you asked "why did you become an adventurer?" a couple times during ARR, and one of the answers you could give was "money and glory"? I'm pretty sure you could say that to the newbie adventurers in 2.0 and the Doman refugees in the patches.

More blind worship of democracy as the bestest thing ever.

Being kicked out of the family? Oof.

Hm... I wonder what Sharlayan was up to the in the original timeline, after the 8th Calamity had happened.

*sigh* Alphinaud redoing his "I am inadaquate. How can we press on?" arc A THIRD TIME.

What is Arenvald going to do now? Is he going to be wheelchaired around from town to town, doing fundraisers? Or is he going to chill at the Rising Stones and help Tataru out with the bookkeeping?

"Glory be, the Garlemald..." he whispers. I wonder if he only said that because he was tempered, or because he truly believed it. Is kinda sad if he really did believe that... only to be chewed up and thrown aside by his emperor.

"a victory at great cost" um... what cost? No one we cared about died!

For a X.55 MSQ patch, this one was pretty meh. 2.55 had the bloody banquet. 3.55 had Shinryu vs Omega. 4.55 had the tense fight against Elidibus.

I do not believe I have seen this cutscene yet. Does this happen after the credits? Or is this just a noncanon shot that was posed for the credits?

And now, for the finale of Bozja.

- - - Updated - - -

Thoughts on Zadnor story thus far (currently rank 19)

Spoiler: 
    Reusing the Southern Bozja theme for Zadnor? Very disappointing. I heard that Soken was hospitalized while he was composing the song for the 5.3 trial, which may explain why Seat of Sacrifice and Diamond Weapon didn't get songs for the second phase, and also why Zadnor didn't get new songs... but doesn't Soken have assistants? This could have been an opportunity to whip up new tracks, and they could still get input from Soken.

Right off the bat, we see that the IVth Legion has half a dozen airships patrolling the skies over Zadnor. The IVth Legion obviously has aerial supremacy, so why can't they just rain down death from above on the Resistance?

Ah.

Was Lilja's "folding her arms" supposed to insinuate a Cid x Mikoto ship or something? That feels kinda random.

Nod to the palings of FFXII.

I like how you see the shadows of a Garlean airship creep across the ground, and then the airships will occassionally bombard the battlefield. Too bad no craters are left behind, though.

Oh? Can I choose to defect to Gabranth's Kingdom? Can I get Misija killed?

I've casually killed hundreds of men for less. Slain traitors on the spot too. The fact that I couldn't cut Misija down on the spot is truly regrettable, but if you allow me, I can rectify that!

Hm. A prisoner exchange? Okay I can tolerate that then. Yeah get our dudes back.

SHE TEMPERED/BRAINWASHED YOUR PEOPLE AND ORDERED THEM TO KILL EACH OTHER! SHE WARPED THE BODIES OF YOUR PEOPLE AND TURNED THEM INTO MALFORMED BEASTS FOR THE LOLZ!

Well thus far I haven't seen any Resistance members running around tempering IVth Legion soldiers, or warping their bodies into monsters for the lolz. Nor have I seen any warcrimes like rape (hard to do when no Bozjan settlements have been shown onscreen) or scalping the enemy or shooting surrendering soldiers and such. We do target enemy medics, though, but that seems to be an acceptable practice in this world. Otherwise, the Bozjan Resistance is extraordinarily squeaky clean.

"The blame lies with Menenius and Gabranth" WTH? Gabranth hasn't treated your people like shit. He's been pretty good. The only thing we know is that 1. Gabranth wanted Misija to spy on the Resistance, and 2. he wanted to use Save the Queen to summon a Primal, with the intent of it being used as a super monster to trounce around on the battlefield like the Auracite/Esper summonings. So far the only evilish person here is Misija, who did the whole tempering and warping people into monsters things of her own accord.

I say execute her. BUT! I was told earlier that a prisoner exchange was possible, so... I'll leave it up to Bajsaljien.

Oboro is here? In Bozja? And the Eastern Alliance too? Interesting. At the beginning of the storyline, the Eastern Alliance declined Bajsaljien's request for aid because they didn't think the Resistance could do it. Then, at the end of the last story segment in 5.4, the IVth Legion brought in their Dalrida mothership and forced the Resistance to vacate the Southern Front and retreat to Gangos, so the Resistance's position should have been pretty bad and the Eastern Alliance shouldn't have any reason to join in.

Noooo Dyunbu died! She caught my eye in Bozja South, in which she had a story arc where she tried pleading with the Resistance to defect to Gabranth, and you wipe out her squad, and she vowed to avenge them, and she got another squad, and we wiped that one out... and another... and now she apparently dies alongside Shemhazai. RIP. I was really hoping she'd survive the story.

Awww Oboro is trying to convince one of his friends to leave the IVth Legion. And that Resistance member trying to save his tempered master.

Can I say something: I understand we know the moon is going to be big next expansion from trailers and what not -- but can we not have everyone stare at it for no reason like their are werewolves finally getting their fix? Its getting to the point of parody.

Yep. See, this to me is a much bigger issue than not enough people dying. It's all the "fake out" deaths that get jam packed in. "Oh no! Will he/she be ok?!?!" Yes. Of course they will. Every.single.time.
    Except for all.the.times it didn't happen?

You know, it's not really easy to dismiss a character's "death" when out of like 10 cases, only 7 came back and the rest were actually truely dead and not just "MIA"
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-05-26 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Being kicked out of the family? Oof.
    Theres some pretty solid theorising going around that the reason Graha called that "a performance" is because publicly disowning them gives them more autonomy to break the rules in Sharlayan without effecting the family house and anything he might do from the inside won't be reflected on them either. he could still just be a douchebag who never understood his father right to the end willing to sit out the end in their doomsday bunker but i wouldn't be shocked if the fan theory is true on this one. Red tape is kind of Sharlayans thing.

So,

The dreamer? Is this something new? Just wanting to make sure i didn't miss that. Also, at the very end was that supposed to be Hydaelyn in non-crystal form? Was that the first time we have seen her like that? My memory of the MSQ is a bit rusty at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by grandgato View Post
    So,

The dreamer? Is this something new? Just wanting to make sure i didn't miss that. Also, at the very end was that supposed to be Hydaelyn in non-crystal form? Was that the first time we have seen her like that? My memory of the MSQ is a bit rusty at this point.
    First, yes. The dreamer is a new term we haven't heard before. Whether it's a character or entity we're already aware of but never knew it was "the dreamer" is yet to be determined. Second, if that was in fact Hydaelyn, yes it would be the first time we've ever seen that particular incarnation. Up to this point we've only ever seen her as a giant crystal and interacted with her through telepathy or something, in that galactic floating dreamscape thing or through Minfilia as her oracle.

Ok. Now I'm beginning to get kinda worried. I felt a bit concerned with 5.3, getting a sense that they were low on budget and time and were straining the preexisting assets to their absolute limits to get the product out the door, but still mostly liked the closure with Elidibus. Everything since though... ugh. I pray to god that the lion's share of the resources are going towards Endwalker, because 5.4 and 5.5 feel so incredibly paired back and stripped down in comparison to Stormblood at this point. Boz is so god damned bland looking compared to the masterpiece that Eureka was. The relics look awful. The voice acting is reduced and of what we do get comes off poorer than at any point since ARR. We keep reading about parts in the world that don't exist outside of text form. It's all beginning to feel all hollow and empty. More fakeouts. The MSQ from 5.4 felt like so much of a snore fest that for once I had to actually force myself just to get through it. And all the while big long standing issues all just get hand waved away. It's all so convenient, like others have mentioned already.

Paglthan is trash compared to Ghimlyt Dark. The only thing about it I like is seeing the sun in the distance while riding the dragon. I give Montoya's a pass for being merely adequate, but as the .5 dungeon, Pagl needed to be mind blowing. I'm in disbelief that we're stuck with these two for six more months. We used to get two dungeons a patch. Now we get one. And they're not even as good as their patch equivalents were last xpack. The part 2 of the MSQ is a mixed bag. Not the dumpster fire 5.4 MSQ was, but strictly inferior to Stormblood. A one on one duel with Zenos was something that felt sorely needed since 4.0 and it had so much more impact than whaling on retreads of primals. And then we have Fanny doing his "I'll get you next time, WoL. NEXT time! impression. And ultimately, he didn't even need to bother anyway. He could have gotten all the Aether he needed right in Garlemald's own backyard. So why didn't they just take that approach to start with instead of moving around armies on another continent? We needed to give the WoL something to do? meh.

And at the end we got everybody staring up at the moon? Why??? WE know we're going there, but have these people watched the trailer too? I get they're trying to set up Endwalker, but no narrative reason is provided to possibly indicate to any of these people we need to go to the moon. Maybe that should have been set up in the MSQ instead of fooling around with beast tribes? It's just so completely left of field for these characters. And I gotta say, what we've seen of Endwalker so far has done nothing to dissuade these fears. The not-India zone especially leaves me just not feeling it any more. I don't know what the heck happened at SE but at the rate the game is going, maybe it's for the best they wrap this up immediately before it devolves into a shit show.

And for god sakes, if you're so worried about the falling lizard, give her a damn parachute.
    Last edited by Merie; 2021-05-26 at 09:33 PM.

Ok. Now I'm beginning to get kinda worried. I felt a bit concerned with 5.3, getting a sense that they were low on budget and time and were straining the preexisting assets to their absolute limits to get the product out the door, but still mostly liked the closure with Elidibus. Everything since though... ugh. I pray to god that the lion's share of the resources are going towards Endwalker, because 5.4 and 5.5 feel so incredibly paired back and stripped down in comparison to Stormblood at this point.
    Yeah, I feel you.

• Only 2 Bozja zones (compared to Eureka having 4)
    • Only one dungeon per patch
    • No PotD or HoH
    • Trial storyline hyped up marching from the town of Terncliff to the city of Werlyt but we never got to see Werlyt
    • Fewer musical tracks (Zadnor reuses Bozja Southern Front music, no second song for Seat of Sacrifice or Diamond Weapon). Yeah, Soken was hospitalized, but he has assistants. This could've been an opportunity for them to step up and compose to fill in the gaps.
    • It's been 2 years since Hrothgar and Viera came out and they still can't wear most hats in the game, and never got the hairstyles that were promised.
    • Ishgard Restoration wasn't phased like the Doman Enclave so newcomers will never get to see it evolve over time.

Perhaps CBU3 is stretched too thin between developing Endwalker and FF16.

- - - Updated - - -

And at the end we got everybody staring up at the moon? Why??? WE know we're going there, but have these people watched the trailer too? I get they're trying to set up Endwalker, but no narrative reason is provided to possibly indicate to any of these people we need to go to the moon. Maybe that should have been set up in the MSQ instead of fooling around with beast tribes? It's just so completely left of field for these characters. And I gotta say, what we've seen of Endwalker so far has done nothing to dissuade these fears. The not-India zone especially leaves me just not feeling it any more. I don't know what the heck happened at SE but at the rate the game is going, maybe it's for the best they wrap this up immediately before it devolves into a shit show.
    Yeah, the shift in FFXIV's storytelling is rather noticeable. ARR was rough but it had grounded storytelling like the Ul'dah stuff. And then that was most unsatisfyingly swept away when HW happened. And then starting with 4.4, you have the "Disneyfication" of the game when the story became about the tragic Ascian story and nobody dies and everyone pats themselves on the back and all of the beast tribe problems are swept under the rug and such.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the story after Endwalker, I'll give it a chance. See what they come up with without having to adhere to old subplots. If it continues down the disney route... well, we'll see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just finished patch MSQ.

Eeh... meh?
    Nothing unexpected happened and it's not even a fancy cliffhanger.

Man people are obsessing over the lalafell girl you keep fighting in fates in the new bozja zone. She throws tantrums and does what i think could be unique emotes so "Papaga" the bratty legionnaire is becoming the new meme darling.

Which makes me wonder what happened to the bitchy lalafell in the yellow coat and admirals hat from limsa from a while back. Kind of vanished from the story unless shes in a job quest i missed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yo FYI the PSN is selling the complete edition of FFXIV and every expansion for £17 and this continues on to the ps5 automatically. Snapped it up so finally the last of my FFXIV discs are useless. 8 years was a good run

Just finished Zadnor and I'm pissed. This was the biggest cop out of the whole game. Your choices don't impact ANYTHING. No, not even what they gave us in Eureka, where your choice may not have had an impact on the main story or anything outside of Eureka, but still was SOMETHING. This was a joke.

Just finished Zadnor and I'm pissed. This was the biggest cop out of the whole game. Your choices don't impact ANYTHING. No, not even what they gave us in Eureka, where your choice may not have had an impact on the main story or anything outside of Eureka, but still was SOMETHING. This was a joke.
    Wait until you read the Field Report of Noah and see that Lyon was planning mutiny against Noah -- and just decides to kill him thus breaking Garlemands hold over Dalmasca thus freeing the nation....all documented in a Field Record off screen

God, how bad this ending is.
    Last edited by TidalConflux; 2021-05-27 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    Wait until you read the Field Report of Noah and see that Lyon was planning mutiny against Noah -- and just decides to kill him thus breaking Garlemands hold over Dalmasca thus freeing the nation....all documented in a Field Record off screen

God, how bad this ending is.
    are you serious?

- - - Updated - - -

if that's how it ends, wow

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    are you serious?

- - - Updated - - -

if that's how it ends, wow
    What a good way to ruin a plot point. It honestly felt like they forgot that Gabranth wasnt going to be actually defeated at the end of Bozja and then just decided to off-screen write him off. Sure, the field record gives some leeway for him to still be alive (his body was apparently heavily burnt and unidentifiable; but still got confirmed to be Gabranth) but it just feels so unrewarding and a gut punch to a potentially good story point

For christ sake. After the the Endwalker MSQ I'm done with this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by TidalConflux View Post
    What a good way to ruin a plot point. It honestly felt like they forgot that Gabranth wasnt going to be actually defeated at the end of Bozja and then just decided to off-screen write him off. Sure, the field record gives some leeway for him to still be alive (his body was apparently heavily burnt and unidentifiable; but still got confirmed to be Gabranth) but it just feels so unrewarding and a gut punch to a potentially good story point
    I mean, I find it weird that they put all that in a note. But I think it stupid to assume all in there is true. I feel it is more likely is it that Gabs didn't die. His plans continue and he'll be a sidequest antagonist, away from the Garlean empire in a post-endwalker scenario. It should have been cutscened of course, but given the Covid situation I wouldn't be surprised if it put a stop to some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Offbeat View Post
    I mean, I find it weird that they put all that in a note. But I think it stupid to assume all in there is true. I feel it is more likely is it that Gabs didn't die. His plans continue and he'll be a sidequest antagonist, away from the Garlean empire in a post-endwalker scenario. It should have been cutscened of course, but given the Covid situation I wouldn't be surprised if it put a stop to some of that.
    Counterpoint: This whole side thing of Gabranth possibly being alive is kind of a reference to the ending of FF12 where Basch takes up his brothers armor and poses as him to guard Larsa to honor Gabranth's dying wish. If anything -- how does Noah pose a threat at all if he is reduced to a sickly man without any Garlean backing at all or any resources that he had? It makes no sense storywise unless you retract the Field Notes or you make stuff up by the seam of your pants.

Even if this was the case that the story progresses: How would it fit into Endwalker? 6.0 is the end of the story with the new one beginning next patch. The Alliance raids are dealing with the Gods of the FF14 world and the Normal Raids seem to be Ascian based....where does it fit in especially with a supposed brand new narrative?

It fit in perfectly with a Garlean world war expansion but for reasons we'll never know they bypassed that and pissed away all the build up to the Empire from the game's inception all the way up to the last patch in Stormblood.

It fit in perfectly with a Garlean world war expansion but for reasons we'll never know they bypassed that and pissed away all the build up to the Empire from the game's inception all the way up to the last patch in Stormblood.
    It seems like they are hell-bent on having a complete clean slate by the time endwalker ends. It's pretty obvious this wasn't always the plan, otherwise they wouldn't have setup all the subplots they now struggle to quickly tie together. There is far too much going on to finish it properly by 6.0. 6.1 is supposed to build up the new enemy, good luck with that.

It's sad how they are dismantling the Garlean Empire mostly behind the scenes.