Finally, a ShB MSQ that didn’t feel like filler. Renewed my interest in the game, and now I’m ready to Endwalk on the moon and fight Fandango.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Seriously Val, you have such a hard on for characters dying. From the way they've been talking I'm sure some of the Scions will die in Endwalker.
    I'm on his side. It is hard to feel tension when nobody of import dies in the struggle. Fuck, the last one to do so was Papalymo.
    Now I love this game, best MMO I've played, the villains are fantastic and the music godlike. BUT I'm honestly saying we will part ways if Endwalker doesn't deliver.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post

It's sad how they are dismantling the Garlean Empire mostly behind the scenes.
    Actually I like it. Sure it would have been nice to pay a visit back when it was standing, but it makes sense for an empire built around the charisma of Solus to slowly eat itself after he died. And while this can be annoying in an MMO, it makes the world more real. Things happen indepdently of our action. We aren't needed for literally everything.

Perhaps this has already been discussed but with the endwalker being the end of the story and hints of the next one possibly taking place in a wholly different continent or even time I wonder if there is going to be some sort of reset.

Bottomline wise a relaunch is probably a good idea, starting new players of fresh with shadow bringer content quality rather then forcing them to slog through ARR would likely have an drastic effect on player retention, besides fresh starts/new mmo's are insanely popular in general in their initial phase. But a fresh start would need to have some effect on the old players/characters if not outright requiring a new character with the ARR>Endwalker stuff being partioned off into 'classic' servers perhaps.

As someone who has tried to get into ff14 but failed to push through the older content many multiple times over the years (I've finished ARR about 5 times on different servers)
    I'd welcome such a decision but what does people actually playing at the end think about it.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Perhaps this has already been discussed but with the endwalker being the end of the story and hints of the next one possibly taking place in a wholly different continent or even time I wonder if there is going to be some sort of reset.

Bottomline wise a relaunch is probably a good idea
    , starting new players of fresh with shadow bringer content quality rather then forcing them to slog through ARR would likely have an drastic effect on player retention, besides fresh starts/new mmo's are insanely popular in general in their initial phase. But a fresh start would need to have some effect on the old players/characters if not outright requiring a new character with the ARR>Endwalker stuff being partioned off into 'classic' servers perhaps.

As someone who has tried to get into ff14 but failed to push through the older content many multiple times over the years (I've finished ARR about 5 times on different servers)
    I'd welcome such a decision but what does people actually playing at the end think about it.
    Highly unlikely. Decisions like the belt removal and the number crunch suggest they want to go on for long without a system change.

They could go with the ESO route with making standalone story arcs, but would need a lot of alternative dialogues to accomodate the choices. We shall see. I don't think they will delete all the story.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Finally, a ShB MSQ that didn’t feel like filler. Renewed my interest in the game, and now I’m ready to Endwalk on the moon and fight Fandango.
    I dont know what its been up with ShB Post-MSQ -- after Hades, everything just feels really weird with them just rushing through to finish things (5.3 and 5.4 felt very much like this).

5.55 has been good except for my main issue with Fourchanault and the random stare at the moon ending scene

10+ Year Old Account
    It's sad how they are dismantling the Garlean Empire mostly behind the scenes.
    Personally, I kind of like how they are doing so. While Garlemald was likely intended to be nearly an expansion on it's own at some point (or at least a crazy end dungeon or inaccessible villain), I think it really shows the strength of Zenos & Fandaniel that Garlemald was basically jobbed out to them really quickly. Is it scarier to face & take down a city or to face the two people who brought down that city on their own and are now using it to feed other means?

Plus, I think it brings more of a thought behind the true nature of Garlemald. Since it was initially created by the Ascians who largely are driven to revive Zodiark, that then to me means that it's purpose is meant to be more than just a realm of conquerors. That makes me really excited to see what Fandaniel has in store for us and what the actual reason is that Garlemald & the Garlean Empire was created.

----------------------------------

On a completely different note, how do people here think Square will handle the job quests for the two new jobs? Given that we shift to role quests starting at 70 with only a continuation job quest at 80 (likely 90 as well), it doesn't feel like the current setup will train the new roles and/or give them the same story level that jobs currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by AngerFork View Post
    On a completely different note, how do people here think Square will handle the job quests for the two new jobs? Given that we shift to role quests starting at 70 with only a continuation job quest at 80 (likely 90 as well), it doesn't feel like the current setup will train the new roles and/or give them the same story level that jobs currently have.
    It really bums me out that their letting for of the job quests. I get that it's harder to make the stories the more jobs they introduce, but I love the extra back ground, lore, and feeling of being the job these quests deliver. I love when rpg's give class/job specific stories. It's why legion is up there as one of my favorite expansions in wow.

They'll probably still do 10 levels of job quests then a quest at 90. It'll only be complicated for people leveling through ShB for the first time with Reaper or Sage.

Can someone recommend a good class with good aoe that

a) Doesnt require me to memorize a shit lot of combos
    b) Doesnt require me to finish the whole ARR story to unlock? (good bye machinist, i never got to test you)
    c) Fuck BLM rotations

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post

b) Doesnt require me to finish the whole ARR story to unlock? (good bye machinist, i never got to test you)
    You have to pick one or the other. Can't pick both.

Once you hit level 50 and finish the ARR 2.0 base storyline, you can unlock Samurai and Red Mage (if you own the Stormblood expansion). They are very easy to play and quite fun. Gunbreaker and Dancer unlocked at level 60 are also quite easy and fun to play.

If you really, really want a non-expansion job, then the only job with that is really fun and easy to play, then there is Ninja, which you can unlock after you get level 10 on another combat job by going to Limsa and doing the Rogue quests. However, it requires memorizing a few combos for the ninjutsu.

Otherwise, the easiest job in the game that you can play right away is White Mage. You only have to press 4 buttons: Cure as your single target heal, Medica as your AoE heal, Stone as your single target attack, and Holy as your AoE attack. That's it. Probably the easiest job in the game and also possibly the most boring.

c) Fuck BLM rotations
    Hehehehehe thats a nice joke.

Personally, I kind of like how they are doing so.
    ----------------------------------

I understand your point, but I don't think doing this with something that important to FFXIVs lore is a good idea. It was an even more prominent enemy than the Ascians for most of the game. Just my opinion but going to a civil war Garlemald sounds a lot more interesting than a trip to scholar or trader island.
    ------
    I guess they will simply do job quests for the new ones. The will probably not be on the First, but in Eorzea. Don't see why the class quests should interfere with that.

Am I the only one really sad that they didn't bring the Inspector back in Shadowbringers? I am kinda underwhelmed how little content there is in the Shadowbringer patches. A shame after the magnificent base expansion.

I have finished Zadnor.

Spoiler: 

Haha Gerolt showing up to give Mikoto relationship advice.

Meanwhile, at the legion of doom!... they excavated something? A giant robot like Ultima Weapon?

I believe Gabranth did say that holding Bozja and Nagxia were optional objectives. Only Dalmasca matters. Maybe you should stick with your king's plan? You have the Eastern Alliance united against you and you're stretching yourselves thin. Mind as well pack up to go fortify and help your boss out.

Cid, that was YOUR FATHER who blew up Bozja (while tempered by Bahamut), not you. This isn't your cross to carry.

"March of the Bloody Queen" hm... is Misija going to pull a Yslaye, transforming into Primal Gunnhildr to stop the Imperial airship and die?

Come on Menenius! You completely missed hitting literally any Bozjan Resistance forces! Even Zeon was able to wipe out half of the Feddie fleet with their death star colony laser!

Why would the general of the Dalmascan resistance herself come to save Mikoto? She should be commanding. This is a task that should have been assigned to another agent.

It's rather immersion breaking that in the cutscene, all Garlean airships had their engines exploded and crashed... but when you exit the cutscene, wham, you hear the sound of Garlean airships bombarding the settlement and flying around Zadnor like normal. Should've had the airships phased per player.

General Fran's outfit is pretty dumb. Everyone is geared up and ready for war, wearing brigadines and bullet proof vests and wearing bandoilers, ready to ready a fortified position, and this is all very serious military talk... and then you have the girl in the lingerie bunny girl outfit. It made sense in FFXII, when Baltheir and Fran weren't a part of any military organization and were just casual adventurers doing their own thing, but it's really jarring in this context.

Respect. You're the best Tribunus in the game. Doing what you can for your king and looking out for your guys. I presume you will allow your men to surrender if their escape is impossible.

"Coward"? Where on earth is this coming from, Lyon? Your boss is sacrificing himself in a rearguard action so you guys can escape and continue to fight for the king!

Hm. So now Misija has the magic sword. Is this just going to be a repeat of Tactics Ogre's ending, where the empire's men are on the run, and they summon a demon at the last second, and a holy/magic sword is used to seal it?

Menenius' mech seems to have propellant tanks attached, like that of a Gundam or a Zaku. Are they Ceruleum fuel tanks? Wouldn't they have ruptured along with the Dalriada's fuel tanks when Cid did his resonance thing?

Where did Menenius and Lyon go after the platform fell? Did they jump off after I did?

We timed out on the Diablo Armament fight with 8% HP left. Died like 20 times during that fight. Darn. Will try again tomorrow. Anyway, it seems that Diablo Armament is based off of a voidsent (Diablolos? But he wasn't captured by Allag so I don't know how they could have gotten a hold of him to build a mecha based off of him/enslave him... unless Diablolos' form isn't unique, and there is a whole species of Diablolos? This would have had to have been a rather late Allagan construct, as Emperor Xande making deals with the Void came right before the fall of Allag, which means that Ultima Weapon would have been constructed prior. So the Diablo Armament could have utilized knowledge from building the Ultima Weapon, hence why the Diablo Armament might be canonically stronger, though so far it doesn't seem to have a canonically super awesome attack like Ultima.

Next day. Killed it. Didn't die once.

Again, Menenius is awesome.

Awww Misija passed out before I could slit her throat. Too bad.

Oh no. Yeah... I think the wrong side won here.

... What? You had zero responsibility for Misija! She had already betrayed the Resistance long before the WoL and Mikoto met her! And Mikoto barely knew Misija for... what? 10 minutes at most? What?

Uh... what? YOU said that holding Bozja and Nagxia was not a priority; it was a bonus that would be nice IF it could be done. Don't renege on your word now!

So it seems that Gabranth is terminally ill. Who does he plan to succeed his kingdom after he passes away? If he takes a wife and sires a child, then when he dies... who will be regent? Lyon? You probably shouldn't alienate the most trusted guy you have left, Gabranth.

Hm... so the Echo can be tied to one's bloodline? Interesting. So Zenos' dreams of the final days could be tied to his genetic lineage to Emet-Selch? Well, the Amaurotine Hades' soul, not the Garlean body he possesed... unless a soul inhabiting a body can still pass down the echo to the descendants of the soul it was inhabiting? If the WoL had children, could the kids get the echo/be born with an ancient amaurotine soul too?

As Ashe did indeed live. I was wondering if the secret leader of the Dalmascan Resistance was going to be Ashe, or maybe a secret daughter or a niece (like how Basch in FFXIV is dead and a new character, his son Noah, takes up the role of Gabranth).

Ashe's fake death happened 30 years ago... so Ashe would be in her 50s the next time we see her. She might be the first middle aged human woman we ever actually see in the game. Would also be nice to see what an older Ashe would look like (like how we saw old Basch in a flashback).

Hold up. So you're telling me that Lyon assasinated Gabranth? Lyon, who had fought for years alongside Basch, and knew Gabranth seen he was a baby? Lyon, who was diehard loyal to Gabranth, and even accepted being demoted earlier in the Bozja storyline? And he just turns on Gabranth? Yeah, Gabranth was being an idiot imprisoning Lyon, but for Lyon to break his lifelong friendship with Gabranth and kill him over that, rendering everything Menenius and the IVth Legion did meaningless? What?

And Dalmasca is liberated offscreen? So we won't even get a Dalmasca liberation arc in Endwalker? We won't ever get to assault the IVth Legion's capital city of Lea Monde? We won't get to see Ashe come out of the shadows and retake Dalmasca? What?

So... what? If we get a third IVth Legion storyline in Endwalker... it's going to be Gabranth suddenly showing up and taking over Dalmasca? With what army?

Well, it was overall decent, and hyped me up for the Dalmasca arc. And then I read Gabranth's field notes. That's poo poo and makes me angry.

c) Fuck BLM rotations
    The closest one is Dancer, which just requires that you be 60 and own Shadowbringers. It doesn't require you to finish the ARR story, but you're never going to reach 60 if you don't do the Heavensward content to get there, in which case you'd be able to get Machinist too, since you can unlock it once you reach Heavensward.

So, no such job exists that meets your requirements, unfortunately.

Quick question:
    Why do we even fight the Diamond Weapon? Its Allie and Alfonse piloting the thing. They destroy the base and are on the way to attack the next Garlean outpost. Am I missing something?

Quick question:
    Why do we even fight the Diamond Weapon? Its Allie and Alfonse piloting the thing. They destroy the base and are on the way to attack the next Garlean outpost. Am I missing something?
    I have no idea. The only explanation I can think of is they went crazy/berserk and we're calming her down? Really doesn't make much sense.

It's heartbreaking seeing the story go so ass backwards so quickly. The Hydaelyn arc needed an extra expansion. The game's story is beginning to feel like the finale to Game of Thrones. Longstanding plot threads are getting hand waved away and characters are doing things wildly out of character in a mad dash to get to the finish line. There's just SO much story to resolve in only 100 MSQ quests. Handwaving like with the beast tribes is probably only going to get worse. Ass pulls like the off-screen ending to Bozja are probably only going to become more common place. How are these Garlean armies making inroads so deep into Thalalan? It's like the cohesion of the story is just falling apart.

I understand your point, but I don't think doing this with something that important to FFXIVs lore is a good idea. It was an even more prominent enemy than the Ascians for most of the game. Just my opinion but going to a civil war Garlemald sounds a lot more interesting than a trip to scholar or trader island.
    ------
    I guess they will simply do job quests for the new ones. The will probably not be on the First, but in Eorzea. Don't see why the class quests should interfere with that.

Am I the only one really sad that they didn't bring the Inspector back in Shadowbringers? I am kinda underwhelmed how little content there is in the Shadowbringer patches. A shame after the magnificent base expansion.
    You're not the only one. This is the first time they've ever NOT done hilda. No Allied quest for the beast tribes either, or bonus rewards. I sure wish I knew what the hell is happening over there at SE.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I'm on his side. It is hard to feel tension when nobody of import dies in the struggle.
    I disagree. We saw plenty of people die, yes they weren't scions but they were equally important.

They already said why they didn't bring back Hildibrand for SHB, because to them it was getting stale. They said he will be back in Endwalkers.

As for the Bozjan storyline, I'm pretty sure the end is a red herring, especially since we know they are moving towards Dalmasca. So either the relic in EW will have something to do with Dalmasca, or it will be side content in 7.0

The whole beast tribe thing got old in SB tbh. Both Lakshmi and Suzano were hardly important to the story. And they showed us how they dealt with 2 beast tribes in the last two patches, they aren't gonna do that for all of them, especially when the entire world is in deep shit right now.

I think people are exaggerating tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    The whole beast tribe thing got old in SB tbh. Both Lakshmi and Suzano were hardly important to the story. And they showed us how they dealt with 2 beast tribes in the last two patches, they aren't gonna do that for all of them, especially when the entire world is in deep shit right now.
    While I thought that the whole unification went too smoothly and quickly, it'll be interesting to see whether the euphoria holds when the existential crisis is over and old, petty rivalries resurface.

I do agree that it is quite unnecessary to have the same storyline with every tribe. I'm okay with it being done by the diplomats off screen. Not every negotiation needs out personal input. World leaders have to be good for something, after all.