Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    My understanding is that we probably won't ever get a good pet class in FFXIV. The engine and the netcode delay means that it'd probably just suck.
    I didn't understand what was so bad about the first iteration of them in ARR. They worked just fine then, aside form the pets getting killed by AoE's too quickly. But making them immune to AoE's would help, or having them be instant cast to resummon would go a long way there.

I played Summoner specifically BECAUSE it was a pet class. In Heavensward they were OK, getting Bahamut felt good, even if it was on a long cooldown build up, but Stormblood doubling down on that made it feel bad and then Shadowbringers getting rid of the pet mechanics just completely killed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ippollite View Post
    my subs went to thorlar. Dude is wholesome as fuck. And here's why i love this: I know like 5 ff streamers right now: Zepla, larryzaur, Mr Happy, WesAlbert, and... MTQcapture. This event lets you find new streamers you may not know about. I think its amazing. Dude has like 150 viewers and cant believe he's on this list. I cant see the downside. Genuinely. I get a store mount. My money goes to the streamer (and er, twitch). But it goes to the streamer. Who on earth would be mad about this? I dont need the mount. In about three months, itll come back apparently. You can get it then. But right now... its gonna cost you 20 bucks to your favorite streamer (not square enix). Man, how bitter youd have to be to think it was a negative thing?
    Please elaborate.

Jesus! I aint ever playing this class! I play a healer PRECISELY because i dont want a rotation.
    Summoner is a DPS job. I think your thinking of Scholar which is the healing job that has a fairy.

I myself am finding it hard to keep interested in Summoner; and thanks to what I read here, I might just shelve it and return to my adventure through Shadowbringers.

Jesus! I aint ever playing this class! I play a healer PRECISELY because i dont want a rotation.
    Well, luckily you can try summoner, just by leveling the scholar and switching some time. Scholar feels way better, although shielding itself is probably less "effective" than in other games, plays fine itself tho. But when Endwalker hits, i wouldn't be surprised if we see some big changes to all healers, except WHM, but playing SCH still feels good

But yeah, SMN feels VERY convoluted and definitely the most anti-casual job currently. Hard to get into and probably even harder to get to a good level. BLM and RDM atleast have some very clear identity as to why you do specific things and let people see what they are about, with BLM building switching between your ice/mana phase and then bursting it all on your fire phase and RDM building up black/white mana to go into your spender combo, while on SMN, you gotta keep up your dots and use as many spells in Bahamut/Phoenix phase as possible, since they only attack when you do. And the command attacks for your Ifrit-Egi feel very... "Did it do something? Did it work?"

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    Summoner is a DPS job. I think your thinking of Scholar which is the healing job that has a fairy.
    oooopsie! Im dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Please elaborate.
    I think he (Thorlar) meant once the promo is over, it'll be back on the store.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-06-26 at 04:57 AM.

I've never enjoyed healing in any game, but White Mage just works for me for some reason. Ill be leveling Astro through Main Scenario duty and Scholar with Summoner and never touch them again until Endwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I've never enjoyed healing in any game, but White Mage just works for me for some reason. Ill be leveling Astro through Main Scenario duty and Scholar with Summoner and never touch them again until Endwalker.
    Im about the same. I was BLM through 1.0 and most of 2.0 before going WHM. Except for a brief stint as a MCH, Ive been full WHM ever since. Im hoping Sage gives me something new to have fun with, just have to wait and see.

I am a little tired of WHM rotation atm.

Dungeon rotation: Benison, Regen, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Holy, Tetra, Holy, Holy, dead
    Raid rotation: Dia, Assize, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Dia, Assize, Rapture, Medica II, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare, Glare etc lol

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Summoner is awful for casual play. It has a 3 minute long rotation which is probably the most convoluted rotation in the game. Also doesn't deliever on the class fantasy of being a summoner, as you have a tiny chicken nugget which deals autoattack damage independent of you and hits like a wet noodle, and you only do the big summon for 15 seconds once every 2 minutes... and it's just bigger autoattack damage independent of you. If anything, summoner feels more like a DoT Warlock then a pet class.
    I levelled as a Summoner (and Scholar) in ARR, and it was a decent take of the WoW Warlock of long ago. DoTs, direct damage, and decent pets. When I came back for a bit 18 months or so ago they both played very differently, which is one reason I didn't stay very long. The Summoner's pets were just extra damage (no tanking pet), there was this 'build to major CD' thing that I found annoying and the resource management system had completely changed. And the Scholar just didn't feel like it had a central theme any more, because the shielding didn't seem important, but it was still there and that meant the direct heals were weaker to balance them.

It was annoying because I quite like the lore for them, especially the Scholar.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Well, luckily you can try summoner, just by leveling the scholar and switching some time. Scholar feels way better, although shielding itself is probably less "effective" than in other games, plays fine itself tho. But when Endwalker hits, i wouldn't be surprised if we see some big changes to all healers, except WHM, but playing SCH still feels good

But yeah, SMN feels VERY convoluted and definitely the most anti-casual job currently. Hard to get into and probably even harder to get to a good level. BLM and RDM atleast have some very clear identity as to why you do specific things and let people see what they are about, with BLM building switching between your ice/mana phase and then bursting it all on your fire phase and RDM building up black/white mana to go into your spender combo, while on SMN, you gotta keep up your dots and use as many spells in Bahamut/Phoenix phase as possible, since they only attack when you do. And the command attacks for your Ifrit-Egi feel very... "Did it do something? Did it work?"
    summoner is pretty easy once you understand its 4 30second setups

the 5 second delay on your trances are probably the biggest thing that confuses people

A solid DF video showing off FFXIV from PS3 to PS5.

Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    summoner is pretty easy once you understand its 4 30second setups

the 5 second delay on your trances are probably the biggest thing that confuses people
    yeah, once you understand it, but it's definitely the one you have to "train" the most to get right on a casual level. Many, many ways to completely fk up your rotation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Don't need to transfer servers for that. Just make a party finder and hope people join you unsync for it. A12s can also be solo'd by warrior or blue mage.
    Apparently you're right even on my dead datacenter/server. I got 2 healers and 2 DPS, had 1 healer go tank after a few wipes and we all got the mount in under an hour and they didn't mind carrying me since I lead the run. Just had to wipe a few times to learn that purple debuff/aoe mechanic. Now I have a new awesome mount on my first day back to level with ! thanks

10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Question for y'all, does 30+ ping makes a lot of difference compared to having 140+? using NoPing i get those numbers so im willing to buy a plan if it changes the game a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Question for y'all, does 30+ ping makes a lot of difference compared to having 140+? using NoPing i get those numbers so im willing to buy a plan if it changes the game a lot
    30 vs. 140? The game's netcode is completely jank regardless (and one of it's very few MAJOR flaws), but it's significantly more enjoyable sub 60 ping compared to 120+. I can say this because I've raided at the highest levels in this game in the old data center (east coast canada) and the new one (san jose cali) and one feels fucking awful as an east coast player and i'll give you a hint; it isn't the 60 ping scenario .

If the cost of the NoPing isn't a setback or prohibitive to you I strongly recommend it if the ping difference is that substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    depends on ure job

I wouldnt recommend gunbreaker ninja machinist or summoner with 140 ping

whm pld and whatnot is fine

https://www.siliconera.com/final-fan...-says-matsuno/

What the F Square. So that really is it. Off screen death for a major character behind the conflict delivered in text form in a log many players will never see and that is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    https://www.siliconera.com/final-fan...-says-matsuno/

What the F Square. So that really is it. Off screen death for a major character behind the conflict delivered in text form in a log many players will never see and that is that.

Aw. I was really looking forward to exploring Lea Monde, and getting to see middle aged Ashe.

It's really jarring how the Shadowbringers patches have been trying to wrap up the game's outstanding plotlines as quickly as possible. Possible Garlemald expansion? Nah, thrown away. Complex city-state politics? Handwaved away. Sour beast tribe and city state relations based off of decades of conflict? Forgotten after a skirmish and a friendly smile. And now all of the setup for the Ivalice storyline has been thrown into the bin too. It feels that there was a shift at Square and they're in a rush to wipe the slate completely clean.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-06-27 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    I want to say this is leading into the "last adventure on this star" comment from from one of the previous patches. I did feel it was a bit early to say we were on our last adventure...

I'm seriously considering the possibility that they plan to reboot the game entirely after Endwalker. I'm curious, but admittedly a bit concerned for what exactly the plan is in the future.
    They wouldn't bring the current FFXIV to PS5 if it was going to be "rebooted."

Is there an alternate downloader for PC? The launcher one crashes after some time, and I have, to restart from the beginning again.