Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuyOk View Post
    There's not much to analyze here.

The question was how tightly tuned the encounters are in terms of DPS. If it can be cleared with 21 - or any number of deaths, really - then clearly it's not tuned to the "Being optimal down to the GCD" level.

You're right that if you can do mechanics, you can kind of get away with anything in most fights.
    UCoB is not considered to have a meaningful DPS check anymore. That also includes the 8 guaranteed deaths to Teraflare before you're raised by Phoenix. And that's also not how ultimates work.

Finally ended up doing Cutter's Cry and Aurum Vale because they were required to advance GC rank. Dear gods, CC was awful. I expected the Sludge boss was going to be the problem (healer never dispelled but we lived), nope, wiped like 5x on the chimera. Pretty sure our sprout healer went in blind, so that didn't help, she was usually the first one to die to everything. Went into AV and thought, how bad can it be? Wiped to the first trash pull. -_- Still, it was overall better than CC.

I unlocked squadrons though so, yay? I dread having to do CC ever again though, ugh. Off-topic, any tips or tricks to leveling the chocobo faster?
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Finally ended up doing Cutter's Cry and Aurum Vale because they were required to advance GC rank. Dear gods, CC was awful. I expected the Sludge boss was going to be the problem (healer never dispelled but we lived), nope, wiped like 5x on the chimera. Pretty sure our sprout healer went in blind, so that didn't help, she was usually the first one to die to everything. Went into AV and thought, how bad can it be? Wiped to the first trash pull. -_- Still, it was overall better than CC.

I unlocked squadrons though so, yay? I dread having to do CC ever again though, ugh. Off-topic, any tips or tricks to leveling the chocobo faster?
    CC is pretty simple, the only thing in there tricky is the last boss. Dragon's Voice = move in, Ram's Voice = move away.

For the chocobo, just kill mobs around your level. Fate grind, etc. And do the weekly challenge log.

10+ Year Old Account
    @RampageBW1 @Val the Moofia Boss @Bovinity Divinity

When you order Tidus from Wish.com

Yep, that's me.

Costume was only $8.50 on sale an I already had my ARR Phantasia vial. It's so hilariously bad I'm contemplating changing my name to something like 'Tedus' so I can be a shitty knockoff brand meme.
    Last edited by MrPaladinGuy; 2021-09-02 at 02:50 AM.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    It's so hilariously bad I'm contemplating changing my name to something like 'Tedus' so I can be a shitty knockoff brand meme.
    I see your discount Tidus, and raise you knock-off Little Sun.

(Yes, I know, not the correct glamour, he hasn't reached Stormblood yet, so will spam the appropriate dungeon for the right gear when I get there)

Dear gods, CC was awful.
    Cutters Cry is the Uldaman of FF14. Its weird, disjointed and the last boss is far harder than it should be. Probably the worst dungeon in the game in my opinion. It's only saving grace is that it's short and you can barrel through it in under 10 minutes if you know how.

@MrPaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosaro123 View Post
    Guys, What should i do with "Unique" items from Dungeons?. Destroy them for materials or deliver them for seals?. I dont know if there is anything else i can do with them....
    Deliver them for GC seals. If you start coming close to capping then you can buy glamour prisms with GC seals and put them up on the market board and make some gil.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Like most tank cooldowns, Hallowed Ground is best used preventatively rather than reactively. I tend to use it shortly after rounding everything up to give the healer time to nuke freely and I can just stand in whatever I need to for maximum DPS uptime in dungeons.

Insta gib kills are extremely rare in FF14 outside of mechanics fails, and practically never feature in 4 man content. Dying as a tank is a slow, drawn out process which takes 15-20 seconds before it actually happens, giving you plenty of time to use self heals, potions etc. Hallowed Ground really isn't worth saving as an emergency cooldown in my opinion. You've got that many other cooldowns that you're bound to have *something* ready if you ever do get into trouble.
    Everything you described is predicated on not having a just-in-time healer. Naturally I use tank cooldowns in trash pulls. But even with them, there are some healers that won't heal til you get to 10% health regardless to maximize every last second of dps time. Sometimes I've popped HG at 5% and get lectured by the healer. "Oh ye of little faith". To each their own. But I've had Hollowed Ground save the day enough times on bosses when the healer failed mechanics and I needed to carry the group to know better than to burn its long cooldown up front on a trash pull just to up healer dps time a single time in a dungeon.

Also...What is the deal with the Squadrons?. When i'm going to be able to "level up" with them?
    Here:

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The main thing that makes Squadrons so efficient isn't the damage the AI party members do, but the fact that I can pull a pack or a boss and just alt tab out or walk away from my computer and do something else. So I spend on maybe a couple minutes actually playing a 15-20 minute dungeon run. That is 13-18 minutes saved that I can spend doing something else, and that time adds up quick when you're running dungeons over and over again. I've saved dozens of hours of time by doing squadron dungeons. There are only a handful of bosses in the game that I actually need to be present for when doing squadron dungeons (namely the Stone Vigil and Dzmael Darkhold bosses).
    Ofcourse, if you actually stay at your computer and help DPS, then the dungeon will go much, much faster, at most as long as it would have taken to do it with other players, if not faster (and, ofcourse, you didn't have to wait in queue just to get in). The archers do a lot of DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Level up your squadron by having them do the command missions (facebook game/mission table). Then for actually levelling up your jobs by doing the squadron dungeons, I have them set up like this:

• DPS - Archer (Offensive)
    • DPS - Archer (Offensive) (if you're playing a DPS role then you fill this slot)
    • Tank - Marauder (Defensive)
    • Healer - Conjurer (Balanced)

You don't even need the chemistry's to be high ranked; I've run like a billion squadron missions and both of my Archers still only have their offensive chemistry at rank 2. The higher level chemistries do help a lot (such as my tank having defensive 4, which increases HP by 24% and reduces damages taken by 24%, giving them much higher survivability). My archers only have offensive rank 2 but it already gives them 24% damage boost, which is pretty good.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-09-03 at 05:15 AM.

Also...What is the deal with the Squadrons?. When i'm going to be able to "level up" with them?
    you need to train them and make the smaller missions until they are about lvl 20+, and succes the "priority" lvl 20 mission, that'll rank up the squadron itself to rank 2, and get you acces to the incursions in dungeons (first one is lvl 20, so you will need to level the job to 15 yourself then maybe do a few dungeon/roulette to go to 20)
    just got to that point this week, now I'm working on getting the squadrons members to 40+ for tank 3, needed for the next grand company promotion

10+ Year Old Account
    The meta for Squadrons is to set everyone to the Offensive battle tactic. It makes the healer heal for more and it massively increases the damage of your party (+60% damage and healing at max rank). It's what makes Squadrons so efficient, because they're actually faster than a regular party. The tank never takes enough damage to need the extra defense, but if you're really worried about it, then set it to Independent. It would give it 20% HP, 20% reduced damage, and 20% damage instead of 30% reduced damage and 30% health.

Anyone know how long the FFXV crossover event is going to last? All I can find is a start date, no end date.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Anyone know how long the FFXV crossover event is going to last? All I can find is a start date, no end date.
    The event lasted ~6 weeks last time (April 16 - May 27, 2019), so I'd imagine it will be around for a similar amount of time this time around too.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The event lasted ~6 weeks last time (April 16 - May 27, 2019), so I'd imagine it will be around for a similar amount of time this time around too.
    Thanks! Glad to hear it, I may actually be able to get enough MGP... maybe. :P

Thanks! Glad to hear it, I may actually be able to get enough MGP... maybe. :P
    Do the weekly fashion report. Search on youtube for it. It gives you about 80-100k mgp weekly.
    It's the easiest way to make mgp.
    Usually involves just buying a few items from merchants or the board.

I'd actually like to know where you saw the start date for the event. I only know it starts this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Do the weekly fashion report.

I'd actually like to know where you saw the start date for the event. I only know it starts this month.
    Everything I've seen has said September 13th, I assume after the Rising event ends. This is one site that shows it.

The problem with the fashion report is I just made a new character on a new account, so it has to be newbie friendly. I think I'll be able to get 80 this week because it looks like all I need is an eyepatch and yellow pants. I think I can buy the dye from a vendor in Limsa, hopefully.

You need to send squadrons on missions, ala garrison table, once they are level 20, you'll get a special assignment, complete that mission and now you can do dungeons with your squadron, your character needs to be level 20 and not all dungeons are available, only a few

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The meta for Squadrons is to set everyone to the Offensive battle tactic. It makes the healer heal for more and it massively increases the damage of your party (+60% damage and healing at max rank). It's what makes Squadrons so efficient, because they're actually faster than a regular party. The tank never takes enough damage to need the extra defense, but if you're really worried about it, then set it to Independent. It would give it 20% HP, 20% reduced damage, and 20% damage instead of 30% reduced damage and 30% health.
    Do you know if its possible to trigger a specific squad member? i really want a arcanist

Everything I've seen has said September 13th, I assume after the Rising event ends. This is one site that shows it.

The problem with the fashion report is I just made a new character on a new account, so it has to be newbie friendly. I think I'll be able to get 80 this week because it looks like all I need is an eyepatch and yellow pants. I think I can buy the dye from a vendor in Limsa, hopefully.
    Ok, thanks. A few days before the live letter.
    I am hyped for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Everything you described is predicated on not having a just-in-time healer. Naturally I use tank cooldowns in trash pulls. But even with them, there are some healers that won't heal til you get to 10% health regardless to maximize every last second of dps time. Sometimes I've popped HG at 5% and get lectured by the healer. "Oh ye of little faith". To each their own. But I've had Hollowed Ground save the day enough times on bosses when the healer failed mechanics and I needed to carry the group to know better than to burn its long cooldown up front on a trash pull just to up healer dps time a single time in a dungeon.
    It doesn't matter if you have a Just-In-Time healer or not - You're still giving them a bigger window to be in time if you're rotating your cooldowns. If you've got one that's just going to heal and nothing else, you're giving them more time to admire the scenary. I trust the healer to know how skilled they are and what they can handle better than I do. If I'm not dead they're doing fine.

You can reliably use Hallowed Ground at least twice in a dungeon, usually three times. It's not like Holmgang or Superbolide that stop you from dropping below 1HP, it's complete immunity to all damage - That's absurdly powerful. If you keep saving it for the perfect moment, when it's absolutely going to save your life, you're wasting potential uses of an otherwise very strong cooldown.

Unless there's a specific pull or specific mechanic you're saving them for, even big cooldowns like Hallowed Ground are worth using as often as possible. I generally consider 10% HP to be far too late to use a damage reduction cooldown most of the time, the next hit is going to kill you no matter what. Reduction cooldowns are preventative, healing ones are reactive.

When healing I'll intentionally let tanks dip low to use cooldowns like Benediction or Excogiation. I'll intentionally do the bare minimum amount of healing I can get away with to squeeze out more DPS. The state of FF14 right now is that DPS is the only metric that actually matters in any kind of content that you do and every decision is influenced by that fact.

Well, if last night was any indication, the influx isn't slowing down yet. One run of Sastasha I was the only one who wasn't new, so that was an experience. Cleared the whole place because the tank went everywhere except killing clams, so I learned that when you don't kill clams those little shade seekers keep spawning. Tank got excited at the colored coral, "Ooh, dungeon puzzle?" It was also the first and only time I've seen anyone kite the last boss over to the bubbling areas, either I'm imagining things or those do a decent chunk of damage. I'm used to Sastasha taking about 15 minutes, my food buff had run out before we finished.

Second run of Sastasha, 2 of the group were new and I felt so bad for the tank because the healer was a returning player who kept pulling all the things and the tank had never been there and didn't know what to do. He died at one point because he was overwhelmed and asked what he did wrong. I was >this close< to saying the healer's being a jerk and over pulling, but the healer copped to it. What a mess that was. Tank died, thaumaturge died, I'm doing my best as a lancer to stay alive fighting 4-5 mobs while the healer is casting raise on the tank.

I was extremely hesitant to run Copperbell after that because I did not want to be in an all newbie group on that slime boss and, despite running it as many times as I have, I still don't know where all the firesand is (or photocells in Toto-Rak, I should probably start paying attention).

One little pet peeve though, is when new tanks stand around because they don't know where to go. 1) It's a fairly straightforward dungeon. 2) There's a map. 3) Anyone else running ahead to show them where to go is going to pull aggro and they're going to be less willing to do so with a fresh tank. 4) They could've checked a guide in the time it took to start the dungeon. :P