Reaper is everything that I wanted it to be. I'm pretty happy.

I just hope the job trainer is a Pureblood Garlean to match the story origins of the job.

I really want to know more about the defensive cooldown changes for tanks. I want to know more what that looks like. I'm assuming they'll maybe have some built in synergies if timed well. I did appreciate YoshiP acknowledging that they can't reliably make parry mechanics for tanks because it's a client side MMO.

I'm also really glad he mentioned PLD specifically being "the braindead tank" and wanting to move away from that designation. I welcome any and all additional complexity, synergy, and depth for the job/role.

I am also a big fan that YoshiP responded to me personally back in SB when I said he should make an active effort to make PLD more like the Holy Knight archetype from FFT and he said don't worry fam I got you because we got Confiteor which was dope as fuck in ShB, and now we got it x4. (this is sarcasm, but I literally got what I asked for).

I'm curious what the Oath gauge cost ability did (new one). I didn't see any offensive or other defensive usages of Oath. Hoping they make our gauge more interesting with DPS opportunities too.

My only major hope is that PLD AF armor will have a /visor that actually puts the hood on. PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE HOODED TEMPLAR LOOK from FFT.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Reaper is everything that I wanted it to be. I'm pretty happy.

I just hope the job trainer is a Pureblood Garlean to match the story origins of the job.
    I'm also very excited for Reaper. They said it was a more technical playstyle that wasn't the traditional builder/spender type thing and that the cadence of battle changes, which sounds awesome because it means fights won't feel like a X minute rotation on repeat until the boss dies.

I'm excited for a lot of these changes, really looking forward to Endwalker. I'm going to have a hard time choosing a main this expansion I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I'm curious what the Oath gauge cost ability did (new one). I didn't see any offensive or other defensive usages of Oath. Hoping they make our gauge more interesting with DPS opportunities too.
    I assumed it was a reskinned Sheltron animation

My only major hope is that PLD AF armor will have a /visor that actually puts the hood on. PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE HOODED TEMPLAR LOOK from FFT.
    Agreed 100%, I really hope the AF armor lets the PLD have the hood up like at the start of the Endwalker trailer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Oh the typical "i'm the balanced one" post.

I play both as well, but i have a vastly more positive experience with FF.
    It is important to have a critical sense. That is how you leave good feedback.

All you are telling us is that you are good with whatever. Be it good or bad.
    Well, good for you. Some of us have standards though.
    You certainly are extrapolating a lot out of nothing. Balance is important, but the point I was making is that I don't care for the need to bring up one's "ex" whenever you're praising your new fun thing. I find *that* weird. And people do it all the time, they can't seem to help themselves. They can't build one up without tearing down another. Nowhere did I say anything about feedback, because that's not the point of what I said.

7+ Year Old Account
    FFXIV because WoW lost its soul over a decade ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post

Yeah, I get the, "But that's illegal!!" attitude from people in XIV every time I say I play both games and they're both fine.

There's some real inferiority complex vibes from the XIV community sometimes. It's a shame because the game is good, but some people act like an insecure guy with a chip on their shoulder, always looking to pick a fight to prove something.
    I'd say you get that with both games honestly. XIV players who came from WoW are pretty open about what they feel XIV does better than WoW, while WoW players keep going on about how great their game is and chalk people quitting as jumping on bandwagons. Hell on the WoW general of /vg/ most of the posters there are thoroughly convinced that the XIV thread only badmouths WoW and trolls their thread with negativity. There are a lot of people actually chalking dissent towards the game state as trolling now.

I think end of the day emotions around both games are high, both games are okay, it's okay to like both or one over the other but they really don't need to constantly be stating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinylScratch View Post
    I'd say you get that with both games honestly. XIV players who came from WoW are pretty open about what they feel XIV does better than WoW, while WoW players keep going on about how great their game is and chalk people quitting as jumping on bandwagons. Hell on the WoW general of /vg/ most of the posters there are thoroughly convinced that the XIV thread only badmouths WoW and trolls their thread with negativity. There are a lot of people actually chalking dissent towards the game state as trolling now.

I think end of the day emotions around both games are high, both games are okay, it's okay to like both or one over the other but they really don't need to constantly be stating it.
    I never understood this religious adherence to one MMO.
    I played WoW and XIV in parallel for quite some time, until I stopped enjoying WoW. So now it's just XIV.

Both games and communities are much more similar that either one wants to admit.
    Especially when it comes to parses and judging player performance. As a healer, I feel that the XIV community is actually more obsessed with DPS than WoW's.
    WoW definitely has the leg up when it comes to raid content, both in design, feel (8 people just isn't the same as 25) and quantity. XIV scores more on the casual side, where WoW is pretty anemic and boring to play.

Considering that I no longer enjoy the scheduled raid playstyle and that most of my WoW buddies quit long ago, it was an easy win for XIV.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    A lot of the jobs seem to be getting two new attacks and a minor change to their job gauge.
    This could be a lot more significant than you think - It might be because they're getting new or updated mechanics and the job gauge has been changed to reflect that.

Watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    This always struck me as being a bit odd with the Paladin. Other tanks get exclusively offensive uses for their gauges, where the Paladin instead has only defensive uses. It does let the Paladin use Sheltron back to back which is nice, but it always felt like a choice of when you should spend the gauge, not what you should spend it on.

The other tanks don't have much play with their resources either, you basically choose if you want single target or AoE spenders and thats it.

I'd prefer there to be a middle ground, where you've got to choose if you want to spend it on Mitigation or Damage on all tanks. That would allow for a trim down on the number of cooldowns tanks have and allow for more player agency and skill expression.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    This could be a lot more significant than you think - It might be because they're getting new or updated mechanics and the job gauge has been changed to reflect that.

Watch this space.

This always struck me as being a bit odd with the Paladin. Other tanks get exclusively offensive uses for their gauges, where the Paladin instead has only defensive uses. It does let the Paladin use Sheltron back to back which is nice, but it always felt like a choice of when you should spend the gauge, not what you should spend it on.

The other tanks don't have much play with their resources either, you basically choose if you want single target or AoE spenders and thats it.

I'd prefer there to be a middle ground, where you've got to choose if you want to spend it on Mitigation or Damage on all tanks. That would allow for a trim down on the number of cooldowns tanks have and allow for more player agency and skill expression.
    Agreed. I was also thinking, that while the new confiteor combo is VERY cool and fantastic looking and I'm thrilled to have it,

BUT - I wonder if it actually does anything, or is just really 3 more hits, that just do damage? I don't know necessarily that it needed to be 3 attacks? I wonder if they're learned separately, or if they're like one button pvp combo that advances through. Curious to see when the media embargo/influencer crap gets released.

Hi all, so I haven't played this game since Shiva raid. I want to start preparing for Endwalker. Is there anything I need to get done? I'd guess I would need to wrap up the new MSQ that were released. I saw there was recommendations to use Bozja to level up the new jobs (sage/reaper). Do I need to do stuff now to get to a point where I'd be able to use it to level effectively? Would I even be able to get to that point before the expansion launch? When would be a good time to re-sub?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpink View Post
    Hi all, so I haven't played this game since Shiva raid. I want to start preparing for Endwalker. Is there anything I need to get done? I'd guess I would need to wrap up the new MSQ that were released. I saw there was recommendations to use Bozja to level up the new jobs (sage/reaper). Do I need to do stuff now to get to a point where I'd be able to use it to level effectively? Would I even be able to get to that point before the expansion launch? When would be a good time to re-sub?
    I'd say a good time to resub would be now. There are exactly 2 months from now until Endwalker Early Access if you pre-order. That will give you time to finish up the MSQ and go through Bozja. I agree that Bozja will be the best way to level Reaper and Sage to 80 when Endwalker drops, but doing some of the other stuff necessary to go through the story of Bozja may be more difficult. There may not be as many people doing Castrum Lacus Latore and Dalriada, but especially Delibrum Reginae as it is a queueable raid that I don't think gives any XP.

Leveling in Bozja will mostly just consist of doing Skirmishes and Critical Engagements. You will want to try and have all 3 zones in Southern Front and Zadnor done so you can access all the skirmishes and engagements even if you don't care about the story. If you start now you should have plenty of time to get through all of it before Endwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpink View Post
    If you quit at Shiva then you have about 200+ hours of story left to get all caught up to the latest patch. If you play for 2-3 hours a day you might make it in time for Endwalker. If you don't mind not doing Endwalker as soon as it is released then be prepared for spoilers to be spread everywhere online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you quit at Shiva then you have about 200+ hours of story left to get all caught up to the latest patch. If you play for 2-3 hours a day you might make it in time for Endwalker. If you don't mind not doing Endwalker as soon as it is released then be prepared for spoilers to be spread everywhere online.
    They said Shiva raid, so I assume they mean E8. In which case they only have like 10ish hours of MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    I'd say a good time to resub would be now. There are exactly 2 months from now until Endwalker Early Access if you pre-order. That will give you time to finish up the MSQ and go through Bozja. I agree that Bozja will be the best way to level Reaper and Sage to 80 when Endwalker drops, but doing some of the other stuff necessary to go through the story of Bozja may be more difficult. There may not be as many people doing Castrum Lacus Latore and Dalriada, but especially Delibrum Reginae as it is a queueable raid that I don't think gives any XP.

Leveling in Bozja will mostly just consist of doing Skirmishes and Critical Engagements. You will want to try and have all 3 zones in Southern Front and Zadnor done so you can access all the skirmishes and engagements even if you don't care about the story. If you start now you should have plenty of time to get through all of it before Endwalker.
    Cool thanks!

When does healing get easier? Getting wall-to-wall tanks in sub-30 content when most jobs don't have an AoE is brutal. There is no green DPS happening, it's just Cure spam. All new respect for healers in Toto-Rak, that place is rough.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    When does healing get easier? Getting wall-to-wall tanks in sub-30 content when most jobs don't have an AoE is brutal. There is no green DPS happening, it's just Cure spam. All new respect for healers in Toto-Rak, that place is rough.
    Once you reach level 50, at which point everyone can buy the latest tomestone gear. Tomestone gear is bought with tomestones which drop from pretty much any instances you do while playing a job that is level 50 or higher. Tomestone gear is near BIS for its bracket (Ironworks gear for level 50, Shire gear for level 60, Scaevan gear for level 70). Instances become trivial while wearing it. Tanks will stay alive longer and healers will heal more.

Once you get holy (is that 45?), trash pulls suddenly become a little less of a pain in the butt. Then when you hit 50 you get medica 2 and your 'oh shit!' button (benediction). Not of course that you should keep it as an oh shit button, its basically a dps window cleaner (by which i mean you can let the tank plummet for a while so you can squeeze out more deeps - dead/stunned mobs arent damaging your party).

After that healing is pretty straightforward until the dungeons and trials start getting more complicated in terms of mechanics (which kind of happens around 4.3).

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for asking this. I stopped leveling my WHM and playing my SCH for this reason. My hands were shaking at the end of Toto-Rak and then Aurum Vale...ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Isilrien View Post
    Thanks for asking this. I stopped leveling my WHM and playing my SCH for this reason. My hands were shaking at the end of Toto-Rak and then Aurum Vale...ugh.
    Post arr content (2.1-2.5), whm is the easiest job in the game. I promise. If you have your ironworks set, youre basically back to early arr dungeons. One medica 2 on a pull and its braindead. You wont be challenged by anything until the final steps of faith (3.3). And thats not even too hard if your coheals knows the fight.

It gets better.
    Last edited by ippollite; 2021-09-20 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Any time there's a choice between damage or extra safety, people are going to say that the ONLY choice is the damage unless the encounter design absolutely forces it (See: Fights that require a tank LB3). That's just the culture of the game.
    If there was any good time to change the paradigm. a new expansion would be it. At this stage in the game I can't see Squenix making any major changes to their formula but I can dream.

Its not a simple problem to fix and needs some major rethinks for the games combat as a whole. I don't even think Squenix consider it to be a problem at this stage, and nor do the players. As much as I'd prefer getting away from the DPS at all costs mentality, I don't see it happening.

I'll be very blunt here. If it's difficult for you to heal, it's not on you. Healing in this game is probably the most friendly mmo in terms of individual healing skill required. It's more dependent on how good your group is. Even in Aurum Vale (the dungeon everyone hates), it was never difficult for me if I had good tank and dps.

The only exception to this would be Sch, they're pretty brutal to play at lower levels. But you said cure...so I'm assuming whm.