Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Dancer is popular because it's easy and fun. You can turn your brain off, just push the glowing buttons, and then watch the sparkles. No need to worry about positionals, little need to worry about your rotation, etc.

Because Black Mage is one of the hardest jobs to play. In order to maximize your damage, you have to stand still. If you move then that's a huge DPS loss, especially if you allow your stacks to lapse if you haven't casted a spell in a few seconds. If you stand still for too long trying to get a cast off and then die to an AoE, that's a huge DPS loss. You can only really familiarize yourself with the timing and placement of AoEs in boss fights after spending several hours progressing on them, so you only start getting it down and doing good towards the end of a prog run. For everything else, queuing for something and then landing a boss you hadn't done in a while sucks because you're just not going to remember where to stand and for how long and you're going to do little DPS, and that's not fun.
    Those two paragraphs sum up pretty much my entire grouping experience of the last 5 years in FFXIV.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Man... I'm so glad that I don't have to rely on PF.
    The only thing my group is doing is "lets make it a 2-2-2-2" group and then we are done with choosing classes.

Thankfully, DPS checks are not that tight and whenever they are, you can reach them 2 weeks later.
    But I'm not doing ultimates, so eh.

But for Savage? That's like picking the optimal classes/specs/covenants for a +15 or something.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-10-07 at 09:23 PM.

Isnt Bard literally that high because of multi-dot like Summoner? Because MCH cant really AoE and Dancer is just lower DPS. On top of that, I agree that Bard probably would work a lot better in a progression sense (more damage, has utility). However, I would also put that Dancer still has more parses. But again, this is ultimate raiding -- where people should probably be pretty well skilled in their classes.

This would also transition into things like Black Mage and Monk. I dont do ultimates, so Ill leave that to the people who do.

On the Savage level -- Dancer is still ahead in parses. You can even phase that fight back to 5.4 and see that Bard is below 300 and Dancer is nearing 450. Being second in damage is whatever amidst three ranged classes that dont do that much damage. All that really tells me is MCH is bad in terms of its output compared to jobs with utility.

It doesn't matter, it's high because the class has a strength which is relevant. Classes like monk and bard aren't popular, but the reason why has nothing to do with their performance.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean the reason you see Black Mage is pretty simple, it's one of most iconic jobs in the entirety of FF even if it's not the best progression job. When people think FF they certainly don't think of a Bard.

The jobs that immediately jump out to me and are iconic are WHM, BLM, DRG, DRK, and PLD. Others are iconic as well, but visually these ones are pretty distinct and you know immediately what they are if they're wearing the armor tailored towards the job.

Some jobs are just a lot easier to play in hard content too, and anybody who has tried BLM at all in any heavy movement scenarios knows how awful it feels to play. A lot of jobs are just learning the rhythm of an encounter step by step, while a class like BLM learns that as well by seeing how little they can truly move or what they can get hit by. BLM to me feels like playing a Fire Mage in WoW, except 75% of the time you're hard casting pyro blast lol.

My complaints about the preview of DRK was simply that it felt weird that blood weapon and delirium were essentially the same, except they removed one of them being changed by skill speed while keeping the other. Sort of devalues the stat completely. That and just adding more oGCD abilities that are slightly more powerful versions of other oGCD abilities you got while leveling in past expansions.

Why must you guys turn every fun thing into a big brain dick measurement contest?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Why must you guys turn every fun thing into a big brain dick measurement contest?
    As if you gal's didn't compare sizes of your secondary sexual characteristics. :<

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    You're ridiculous, lol.

Comparing performance across classes using numbers is a thing in every game where numbers exist. This isn't a "guy" thing. GTFO with your stupid hot take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Honestly, that's kind of what happens with things like MMOs. There's not a lot of real, true prestige or accomplishments, so people just sit around and jerk off over stats and numbers and what thing is 1.2% better than some other thing. Then they act like they're big elite hardasses for letting you know that 1.2% is a big deal for TRUE players like them.

The irony is that in most cases the people ACTUALLY playing at the top level will all tell you that 99% of this shit doesn't even matter if you play well.
    In WoW it's the actual top players who push this stuff the most. You'll see lots of first kills with 3-4 people of a single class / spec at the high end, even though there's only 14 slots (+-) and more than 20 dps specs. In the past, there have been kills with 8-9 dds of the exact same class / spec (e.g. Cata Nef). If it wouldn't matter for them, it would be spread out far more and you'd never see more than 1-2 of each spec. I have to admit, I have no idea how it is in other MMOs (including FF14), but I'm blindly guessing it shouldn't be THAT different.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-10-08 at 04:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn that was pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Sure, it happens in WoW in the world first race where you've got corporate entities racing, but it's not required for raiding in general by any means. Hell, once WF is over they goof around like crazy. And WF teams in XIV often have less than perfect compositions.

All this hand-wringing over, "oh my god what're the best jobs to clear this raid six months later, it's important we know!" is just some nonsense made up by people who think that this is what makes you a hardcore raider.
    Aye, I agree that there seems to be too much panicking about stuff like this. Though in my experience it's still much more common in the hardcore-scene (the real one) than the casual one or even self-perceived hardcore one. Purely anecdotal, but I'm in completely casual circles in FF14 and was something between semi-hardcore and casual in WoW for over 10 years, and class balancing was never much of an issue in terms of filling raids - though, of course, it could be annoying when it was completely off.

As we're on classes: These days I'm getting into more and more higher lvl instances while leveling my WHM and get used a bit more to it. And holy f**k it's a breeze compared to SCH right now. I still somehow feel much more solid in terms of gameplay with the SCH, as I have more experience, but just in terms of how stable the group / the run is and how many tools I have to deal with stuff, WHM just blows SCH out of the water. Ironically, WHM even has the bigger shield (with the exception of a crit Adlo). Sometime that switched around, at low level I always felt the other way around. Yesterday I was in Bardam's - the one instance I really struggled with SCH back then. The tank did wall-to-wall pulls, and it was never an issue keeping him alive. Only 2 times he dropped quite low, but.. Benediction.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    I have to admit, I have no idea how it is in other MMOs (including FF14), but I'm blindly guessing it shouldn't be THAT different.
    It's not as much of a big deal in ff14 because dps is more balanced than it is in wow. People prefer not to use double range dps but outside of week 1 savage you can use pretty much whatever you want.

Some jobs are better at things others arent, also depends on sync level and such, or mabye a fight is low on movement for long period of times, making black mage amazing or the fight has prolongued time of 2 targets cleave where monk can just go HAM. But when it comes to end game dps, the dps numbers are close enough based on utility and also the buff given for having one of each role. There is no DPS check that even sub optimal groups wont meet unless they dont know how to play. This game wipes you based on people not doing the mechanics. Its not to say that they are not dps checks, infact some of the old fight that are considered mistakes even by the devs own admissions where dps checks in the way that it was better to burn the boss and skip broken mechanics. The game headed in a pretty different direction and theres literally no dps check even 4 bard dps team couldnt complete in shadowbringer. So like, just pick your job, know what you are doing and you will never get turned down. Hell the game encourage you to multi job, at some point everybody ends with at least 2-3 jobs that they feel they really like and its never a problem as gearing itself is pretty fucking easy. That makes this mindset of OMG we need to stack X job, pointless, even in high end FF14 nobody does that. Its not wow, we dont have warrior doing 50% more dps then the feral druid.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2021-10-08 at 10:57 PM.

So accurate!!! Thanks for the laughs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Damn that was pretty funny
    Yop. Got a good chuckle out of it.

It shouldn't be surprising that its happening with Endwalker next month but its kind of a bummer to see Dalriada pop and nobody join on my server. Those relic grinds getting slower aside its going to be a real shame for people to not fight the Diablo Weapon at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    It shouldn't be surprising that its happening with Endwalker next month but its kind of a bummer to see Dalriada pop and nobody join on my server. Those relic grinds getting slower aside its going to be a real shame for people to not fight the Diablo Weapon at least once.
    I can do with less of that portal phase on my life though. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I can do with less of that portal phase on my life though. XD
    But you did it to have the memories

- - - Updated - - -

So i got around to finishing the Shared Fates and getting all my Trusts to lvl.80 to have finished everything in Shadowbringers and i need to check but i think they really buffed trust xp rates. It used to be like 4-5 runs per dungeon to level one up but one run of the Mines and one of Mt.Gulg got my last three from fresh 78's to 80. I was honestly prepared for up to ten monotonous dungeon runs with snail npcs.

Now i guess i just grab the levelling gear for Sage and Reaper and keep hawking ingots and furniture for easy gil but this is easily the most done with an expansion i've been before the next one hits.

With 40 days left maybe i'll go back and finally finish Pyros.

Finally level 80. Not that I cared much but that was one helluva journey.

Now just have to do 9001 blue quests which i completely ignored in the past. Then to figure out where to get either guild or people to play raids with.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV