10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Were that something that modern humanity didn't do maybe it would've struck a chord, but my issue with it is they're wanting me to condemn a practice when we do so much worse and for far lesser reasons. Elpis is a dream facility compared to the usual breeding, animal testing, and slaughtering that occurs. It made me feel like the writers are the types who are blissfully ignorant of the abhorrent treatment of non-human creatures in the world.
    I'd say that's presupposing a frame, or in this case, trying to apply real-world human morality to a society with skills and abilities that we can't readily comprehend on a moral level. The easiest analogy would be human beings and our most prolific creation: machines, which we routinely use to the breaking point, abuse, or destroy whenever necessary (or whenever we feel like it) because we understand they're automatons completely lacking in sentience or sapience. To beings who are capable of creating life as a mere thought exercise, they may view their creations the same way we view machines - even though they are fully sentient, they're categorically lesser beings who owe all to their creators and for whom any outcome is manifestly justified because their creators are essentially gods. This notion maps well onto the Ascians because beings like Emet-Selch have already betrayed that sentiment - they don't see beings like the Warrior of Light, the Scions, or anyone else inhabiting the sundered aspects of Etheirys as actually real, just shadows or phantoms of real beings, to be moved or abused as is necessary for their ultimate goals.

The pre-sundered Ascian culture probably viewed their own creations in a similar light, just phantoms of "true life" (the kind of life they themselves represented), so just evaporating a created being because it didn't pan out properly wasn't considered heinous or abhorrent to them.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Obviously, interpretations vary. Quoting from the forums: "In that long Famitsu interview, there's a bit that wasn't translated directly where Yoshida actually goes into how he thought players would leave Elpis thinking the Ancient society was 'scary' - listing all the reasons he figured they'd be a little disturbing - but that instead, most people came away with thinking they were just 'good people' instead."

Like I said, they were wanting me to be disturbed by a practice and belief system I didn't personally find problematic (comparatively) based on my own experiences in life or in the game for that matter as the sundered certainly don't "value all life" either, which was Hermes' challenge.

I haven't gotten to all of the Elpis side quests yet, but I've heard they go more in depth as to the love and care the Ancients had for their creations. It's odd to me if their intent was to portray what they were doing as negative the execution of it didn't align with the writing. Their belief system alone revolves around death, i.e. returning to the star, being beautiful and reincarnation was confirmed.

As for Emet, he told himself what he had to in order to continue his duty. At the end, Y'shtola postulates that Emet had come to view the sundered as children based on how the denizens of his recreated Amaurot treated us.
    Last edited by Lane; 2022-04-06 at 05:36 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Obviously, interpretations vary. Quoting from the forums: "In that long Famitsu interview, there's a bit that wasn't translated directly where Yoshida actually goes into how he thought players would leave Elpis thinking the Ancient society was 'scary' - listing all the reasons he figured they'd be a little disturbing - but that instead, most people came away with thinking they were just 'good people' instead."

Like I said, they were wanting me to be disturbed by a practice and belief system I didn't personally find problematic (comparatively) based on my own experiences in life or in the game for that matter as the sundered certainly don't "value all life" either, which was Hermes' challenge.

I haven't gotten to all of the Elpis side quests yet, but I've heard they go more in depth as to the love and care the Ancients had for their creations. It's odd to me if their intent was to portray what they were doing as negative the execution of it didn't align with the writing. Their belief system alone revolves around death, i.e. returning to the star, being beautiful and reincarnation was confirmed.

As for Emet, he told himself what he had to in order to continue his duty. At the end, Y'shtola postulates that Emet had come to view the sundered as children based on how the denizens of his recreated Amaurot treated us.
    I don't think the Ancients were bad people or good people - I think they were, for all their power, just people. Human beings often feel emotional attachment and a kind of love for our own non-sentient creations, but we'll still destroy or deactivate them if we deem it necessary. The Ascians' willingness to enact multi-planetary genocide to try to restore their own world betrays a deep callousness (one might even say monstrousness), but even if their means are horrific their goal is at least understandable, they want to restore what they'd lost in an unimaginable cataclysm. Many of us would do the same if the means were available, even if the cost was equally horrific. But that doesn't make it right, at the end of the day. The Ascians as a whole need to learn to accept that they and their world are gone, they need to accept that loss and move on in the new universe that their own choices authored. Perhaps even help undo the mistakes that even now threaten what's left of creation.

It's in that light that the Ascians are "scary," at least to me - they have a monomania that borders on the obscene, one that I often hold Zodiark to blame for even if they're not explicitly enthralled to him.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The Ascians as a whole need to learn to accept that they and their world are gone, they need to accept that loss and move on in the new universe that their own choices authored. Perhaps even help undo the mistakes that even now threaten what's left of creation.
    Impletenting Ascians that slowly change an realize the error of their obsession and start working with us? That would be pretty cool.

Boy PVP is going to be a lot more interesting looking at the patch notes. White Mages can polymorph, Sages can drop a forcefield like goddamn Symmetra and Gunbreakers can draw and junction abilities like its fucking final fantasy 8

I loved PVP in heavensward before Stormblood turned it into "farm shatter or join the cesspool or win trading and account hacking/deleting that is the feast" am i am so much more excited for PVP than i am the raid and thats something i haven't said about an mmo in a very long time.

-Just saw Dragoons. You use a move called Sky high to shoot up in the air, not as an animation lock but a real jump you can move around and are untargetable and then in the air you hit a limit break that deals 20k damage to anything within 10 yards of the impact.

This is going to be bananas.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2022-04-11 at 05:34 PM.

why is this patch 5 gigabytes

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    why is this patch 5 gigabytes
    Completely new PVP system with their own progress system, new MSQ with a new dungeon, new raid, Extreme version of The final trail in the MSQ, expanding the glamor dresser. There's also a bunch of other things, such as all of the new housing and probably the base data for a lot of the stuff that's going to be added in future smaller patches like Tataru's Grand venture and Hildibrand. The amount of stuff they added isn't small.

6.1 came out already?
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

I look forward to being disappointed in a few days when I don't win the lottery for the house I applied for.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I look forward to being disappointed in a few days when I don't win the lottery for the house I applied for.
    Same. I figure theres nothing to lose and just expect my gil back next week but its better than watching a free company buy up an entire section and never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    At least this disappointment won't come after you spend your entire day clicking on a placard over and over only to lose it to someone else in the end.

Is it confirmed you can only bid on one lot? Isn't the best practice to wait til nearly the end and figure out which lot has the least bids?

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Is it confirmed you can only bid on one lot? Isn't the best practice to wait til nearly the end and figure out which lot has the least bids?
    I think it just says the price and if its a free company or private bid. You put the money down and get a number but i dont think it tells you how many bids there are unless i missed it.

I just assume certain ones like the one near the snowmen and igloo or market board will get way more bids.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    6.1 came out already?
    Yeah, it's why the game was down for maintenance all day yesterday.

I am kinda sad, because I didn't get to farm more moogle tomestones for that treasure trove event, but I got what I wanted for my Lalafell.

Haven't played the game yet, busy with other stuff. Probably gonna level another job to 90 to continue the MSQ.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yep, only one bid and seemingly no way to choose another.
    Didn't know only 19-24 were for private players, so i was like "fucking finally, soemthing available to players" and bid on the first thing i encountered only to be told i can only bid on one plot per lottery period.
    1 per period is kinda dumb. Yes, it's more "fair" for everyone, but why just 1 for everyone. Why not 2-4 or so.
    Not to mention that ONLY 1-18 being exclusively for Free Companies is also kinda bs. I have high doubts that there is a need for 1080 free company houses with only 300 plots for regular players
    Last edited by Shakzor; 2022-04-12 at 07:13 PM.

yeah, they should definitely have flipped it the other way around, 1-18 for private.

I only have enough for a small plot, so I guess I need to look at what I'm into.

A lot of good changes to be honest, showering players with QoL's is always welcomed addition to the game. I haven't explored yet too much, but things like warrior is getting proper cleave is just simply nice

I need to find expert veteran player on youtube, surely someone is doing patch recaps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The new PvP mode is pretty fun but my god I just can't engage with the MSQ after Endwalker sorta ruined the story of the game for me.

Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Endwalker is the favorite for main story
    According to whom?

Holy shit PVP is busy today. My PS4 is loading in maybe 5% of the players in this location, the test dummys are like a fireworks display.

Its interesting to see that when you zone in your entire pvp hotbar is those greyed out moves to delete. Because these aren't just tweaks these are not the same classes. Remember back in the day how people would beg blizzard to balance pvp and pve totally seperately? yeah its that. Now pve limit breaks are just moves with a cooldown and pvp limit breaks are overatch ultimate levels of horseshit and the moves have been trimmed even more.

Some take a bit of getting around like how RDM doesn't have a balance gauge anymore but a new skill called 'white shift' that turns into black shift when you use it. shifting between the two stances uses the black or white magic combo. I can't tell if thats aoe vs single target or not since the test dummies and duel area are like the goddamn gong on the opening of AQ gates right now and you can't see shit but its interesting.

Personally i think i'm going to stick with Dancer for pvp but Sage is interesting. It doesnt appear to have direct healing at all but casting stuff like dosis has far larger heals for kardia and such.

Haven't queued for Crystalinne Conflict yet but seeing all the players in garo gear -which has been my healer glam for like half a decade now- along an equal amount of sprouts and returnee sprouts seems to suggest theres a lot of people who have been waiting for this.

-also the "free battlepass"? is almost all currency. at 5 you get a new dance, 10 and 20 a new boarder for your adventure plate and 15 neros glasses till the sauron armour set at 25. everything else is the crystal currency that caps at 20k.

Theres also two new pvp vendors that dont use wolf marks. One uses these crystals for glamour gear and the other uses wolf collars you buy for 1k crystals to buy old feast stuff. For example 10 collars/10k crystals for one of those "dark souls weapons" from the final season.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay i got some matches in and boy is this the most fun pvp has been since heavensward. 5-7 minutes of absolute craziness it feels less like wolves den used to and more like elements of a mob and overwatch type stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Welp seasonal rank 12, capped my weekly tomestones purely from crystalline conflict so safe to say i like it a lot. Interestingly it looks like you can turn in the crystals for a dyeable version of one of the relic armours for each job but its a different material? like the soft cloth used for the regular Stormblood RDM relic gear now looks more shiny and metallic instead.

Also not sure if some are gender flips like the male dancer gear for female dancers.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2022-04-12 at 08:49 PM.