Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Man, I can't believe you can't skip Castrum/Praetorium cutscenes in Duty Support. They're still worth doing for poetic farming, but being forced to sit through cutscenes when you are the only player there seems like a weird decision.
    Is "Duty Support" a method of playing group content with AI rather than real people? If so, at what point does this option become available?

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Is "Duty Support" a method of playing group content with AI rather than real people?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.1 patch notes
    First, select Duty Support under Duty in the main menu. A list of available duties will be displayed in the window that appears. Select the duty you wish to enter, confirm which NPCs will be accompanying you, then select the "Register for Duty."

The Duty Finder and Trust menus can also be accessed by pressing the appropriate button at the bottom of the Duty Support menu.
    Only ARR 2.0 dungeons and trials, and ShB through Endwalker dungeons are supported right now. ARR 2.1-2.5, Heavensward, and Stormblood duties to come in future patches.

So, with 19 hours til the first housing lottery closes, I can still find small plots with only 2-5 bidders fairly easily. A good shot to actually pick up a house. Even most medium/large plots are under 20 bids. And this is on Gilgamesh, a very populated NA server

As the houses diminish and bids are consolidated towards singular properties, I imagine your odds are gonna become astronomical, so I suggest looking for a property with low numbers of bids this evening. Drawing is at 11 AM EST tomorrow.

I can't imagine it'll ever be any easier to buy a house via the lottery system.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Yes.

Only ARR 2.0 dungeons and trials, and ShB through Endwalker dungeons are supported right now. ARR 2.1-2.5, Heavensward, and Stormblood duties to come in future patches.
    Thank you very much, this is helpful info. Is this a viable method of running those dungeons? Basically, did they pull a Blizzard and nerf the rewards so much that it's not worth doing them this way to try and force people into the methods of play the developers personally prefer?

Thank you very much, this is helpful info. Is this a viable method of running those dungeons? Basically, did they pull a Blizzard and nerf the rewards so much that it's not worth doing them this way to try and force people into the methods of play the developers personally prefer?
    The rewards are the same as you'd find when running with other players, and you get to keep every piece you find yourself rather than rolling for them. The only downside is that they generally take slightly longer to complete than it would with other players.

Thank you very much, this is helpful info. Is this a viable method of running those dungeons?
    Yes. I find that running with AI is the most time efficient way of leveling up DPS jobs. I can pull trash packs and alt+tab out of the game to browse the web, watch youtube, read a book, walk away from my computer to make food, etc, while the AI party members deal with the mobs. I only need to actually play the boss battles. If you queue with other players, then you have to actually be at your computer and play through the entire dungeon, because other players are depending on you.

Squadrons are still far, far faster at completing dungeons than trusts, but you need to become high enough rank with your Grand Company to unlock them. If you're just going to go through the content on one job and then unsub, then you can ignore squadrons.

For levelling up tank and healer jobs, it is better to just queue.

It wouldn't be so slow for tanks and healers if the Trust bots WOULD F'ING USE THEIR AOE ABILITIES! They lock on to a single target and just DPS that down til it is dead than move on to the next mob in the aggro list.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    So, with 19 hours til the first housing lottery closes, I can still find small plots with only 2-5 bidders fairly easily. A good shot to actually pick up a house. Even most medium/large plots are under 20 bids. And this is on Gilgamesh, a very populated NA server

As the houses diminish and bids are consolidated towards singular properties, I imagine your odds are gonna become astronomical, so I suggest looking for a property with low numbers of bids this evening. Drawing is at 11 AM EST tomorrow.

I can't imagine it'll ever be any easier to buy a house via the lottery system.
    Is the lottery system just for ishgard right now? with everywhere else locked down theres surely going to be people waiting for people moving to ishgard to free up spots in limsa and weeb town.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Is the lottery system just for ishgard right now? with everywhere else locked down theres surely going to be people waiting for people moving to ishgard to free up spots in limsa and weeb town.
    Everywhere. Just wish it was the other way around 1-18 being player housing and 19-24 FC houses

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Everywhere. Just wish it was the other way around 1-18 being player housing and 19-24 FC houses
    It should be and its just going to make the bidding for the houses in existing wards about to be freed up way worse. I know people that have been after a house in Limsas district since 2014.

The large im bidding on has 10 bids at the moment, fully expect that to jump up prior to reset tomorrow.

For someone who completely dislike PVP games this new addition to the game looks great to be honest. Best part about it is that you will never match against any premade groups, nor it will take you long time to finish the conflict. Rewards are good too. I might give a go some point in future once I have time and motivation.

It wouldn't be so slow for tanks and healers if the Trust bots WOULD F'ING USE THEIR AOE ABILITIES! They lock on to a single target and just DPS that down til it is dead than move on to the next mob in the aggro list.
    thats why they are only usable when you realy dont wanna deal with any other human. the lack of aoe makes every dungeon 30min long

New Luck Bancho Census is out.

Look at the level 1-59 and 60-69 job brackets for the Crystal Datacenter:

• 1-59: 217,312 DPS vs 36,815 healers
    • 60-69: 44,759 DPS vs 5,614 healers

The healer shortage is abysmal. This helps explain why duty support was added. It's a bandaid. "We know healers suck and nobody wants to play them. No, we're not going to do the obvious thing and fix healers so that they are fun to play and people want to play as them. We're going to give you AI party members who heal for you." Maybe one day the FFXIV devs will wake up and fix them, but given what just happened to tanks last expansion and what just happened to samurai and summoner, it seems like the XIV devs aren't very interested in making their game's combat engaging.

For endgame healers (equipped weapon level 560 or higher), Sage and White Mage are the most popular.

• Sage: 5,928 = 34%
    • White Mage: 5,769 = 33%
    • Astrologian: 2,845 = 16%
    • Scholar: 2,923 = 17%

Sage and White Mage are individually, twice as popular as Astrologian and Scholar combined!

Interestingly, Reaper is now far and away the most popular DPS job at endgame. I've heard good things about it, so I might switch to it. This census was taken before 6.1 went live so the percentage is going to be even higher next time. Should probably enjoy it while I can before it gets gutted too. Hardest part will be finding a glamour that looks decent on a Lalafell.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-04-16 at 04:28 AM.

Reaper is flashy, but pretty braindead gameplay wise.

I put my bid in for my house. I was the 4th bid at the time of bidding. Let's see if I can roll them bones.

Does anyone know if there's any in-game calendar of housing lottery periods vs. claim periods? Or do we have to figure it out ourselves every time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I can't believe you can't skip Castrum/Praetorium cutscenes in Duty Support. They're still worth doing for poetic farming, but being forced to sit through cutscenes when you are the only player there seems like a weird decision.
    Still a massive improvement from before.

They cut a solid 20 minutes from the average run time of Prae with this patch, alongside making the instances themselves a much less jarring experience for first timers.

The healer shortage is abysmal. This helps explain why duty support was added. It's a bandaid. "We know healers suck and nobody wants to play them. No, we're not going to do the obvious thing and fix healers so that they are fun to play and people want to play as them. We're going to give you AI party members who heal for you."
    I know I've said this before, but the issue in my opinion is that healers have about 6 different versions of the same core skill all with slightly different secondary effects. As much as this is going to be an unpopular opinion, I think they need a prune to free up some space for more unique and interesting skills and diversify healers even further.

Sage and White Mage are individually, twice as popular as Astrologian and Scholar combined!
    I think the biggest reason for this is Console players. Astrologian and Scholar are both busy, button heavy jobs and trying to play them on a controller would be an absolute nightmare.

Edit: Forgot to mention the plot I wanted in Ishgard ranged between 12-32 bids on it when I checked last night. There was probably no way I was ever going to get it, so it's a good thing I settled on an apartment. Having said that, the same plot in the FC-only wards I looked at only had 0-2 bids on it. I probably would've been tempted to bid if I had a personal FC.

Interestingly, Reaper is now far and away the most popular DPS job at endgame. I've heard good things about it, so I might switch to it.
    I switched to RPR when DNC was in such bad shape. I didn't think I'd like it, but it's a lot of fun.

As for the census, I play on Crystal and more often than not roulettes are tank in need, so I'm surprised the shortage is healers.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I know I've said this before, but the issue in my opinion is that healers have about 6 different versions of the same core skill all with slightly different secondary effects. As much as this is going to be an unpopular opinion, I think they need a prune to free up some space for more unique and interesting skills and diversify healers even further.
    I agree with you. I've felt overwhelmed with abilities for every one I've tried. Maybe I could figure it out if I wanted to play a dedicated healer, but healing never became fun for me so I only heal trusts where they avoid mechanics and it doesn't matter if I ignore half the toolkit.

I think the least they could do as far as DPS is give them a combo button like they did GNB. I'm not bothered by spamming 1, but it'd be nice if the sounds and visuals had some variety.
    Last edited by Lane; 2022-04-16 at 12:20 PM.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

In my opinion, healers should be full blown support units by now with their own (small but proper) DPS rotation.
    Even in P4S and any X4S before that, there hasn't been anything like a proper hps check. Even Birb this tier doesn't really have one. You just spam your shields and everything is fine.

The only relevant healing spells is Macrocosmos(? I can't remember the name) and then some instants and AoE heals.
    If Scholar had the DPS set from "back in the old days" it would already be much more fun to play.
    A simplified DPS rotation is fine, but add more buffs/debuffs/utility alongside it.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I think the biggest reason for this is Console players. Astrologian and Scholar are both busy, button heavy jobs and trying to play them on a controller would be an absolute nightmare.
    Really? Do not scare me. I am a free trial player, scholar level 54. Never healed in more than 10 WoW years, could not get into it, but I am really enjoying it in FFXIV, and I am playing in a PS4 Pro with controller.

For now it is ok, but I definitively inclined to think that button bloat is a thing. I just hope to keep enjoying healing when I am at max level (probably months from now, as I will play the free trial until I squeeze everything from it).

BTW I love the AOE attack of scholars. I clean groups of mobs pretty fast while I do not have to care about my life, as my faithful PET is healing me all the time. I guess that is faster with a DPS class but for now I am just playing scholar. Although I am close to Heavensward MSQ now, and the first thing that I want to do is try MCH, as I read that it does not have the button bloat issue.
    Last edited by Darkarath; 2022-04-16 at 01:01 PM.
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.