Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Sure, if it's a raving success and the engine of the game would allow for it, I could see it happen. Though with XIVs general input lag, I'd expect it to be a royal mess. They'd pretty much have to re-work the entire game's code to get it to be responsive enough.

World of Warcraft doesn't have that hurdle.
    The input lag FFXIV has now could be fixed eventually. It has gotten marginally better since it was first launched. Maybe, possibly, eventually....one day they'll fix their shit and be closer to WoW's buttery smooth game play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    one day they'll fix their shit and be closer to WoW's buttery smooth game play.
    You honestly believe that they will tackle decade old, poorly documented spaghetti code, held together by duct-tape unless they absolutely have to?

:'D

It's easily the thing I miss most about WoW - the muuuuuuuuuch smoother gameplay.

15+ Year Old Account
    Input lag? I think people are confusing input lag with ability animations not playing in 0.01 seconds. I've heard people talk about input lag but for some reason I've never experienced it.

Now actual latency can be a thing and I figure a lot of people get that and confuse it for input lag. But if you're having issues, download and install the XIV alexander lag fix. Everyone in my savage static uses it, everyone in my ultimate groups use it, every one of my friends who does savage or ultimate uses it. It effectively emulates as if you were were in the FFXIV server room. It makes the game amazingly responsive and imo fixes a lot of the issues people have with "unresponsive combat".

If you still feel combat is unresponsive after this fix though, sorry, can't help you. Likely just the animation playing out is tripping you up.

https://github.com/Soreepeong/XivAlexander
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Input lag? I think people are confusing input lag with ability animations not playing in 0.01 seconds. I've heard people talk about input lag but for some reason I've never experienced it.

Now actual latency can be a thing and I figure a lot of people get that and confuse it for input lag. But if you're having issues, download and install the XIV alexander lag fix. Everyone in my savage static uses it, everyone in my ultimate groups use it, every one of my friends who does savage or ultimate uses it. It effectively emulates as if you were were in the FFXIV server room. It makes the game amazingly responsive and imo fixes a lot of the issues people have with "unresponsive combat".

If you still feel combat is unresponsive after this fix though, sorry, can't help you. Likely just the animation playing out is tripping you up.

https://github.com/Soreepeong/XivAlexander
    FF14 Alexander fixes the default 500ms input delay built into the netcode and is easily one of the best mods for the game. JP devs historically make pretty shitty netcode because they're used to developing for a tiny island with consistent infrastructure. Not only that, but their netcode requires server confirmations before sending information back to client, when most modern games have the clientside check the results after and correct them as necessary. This is considerably smoother and faster if you have consistent broadband, but can be a nuisance if you have shitty internet for sure.

FF14 without any of these mods from the east coast definitely feels sluggish. I can have 90ms to the servers but in reality it's actually closer to 700ms in practice due to the way the netcode is designed. The game is pretty well designed with this in mind, but I'd love to see it fixed officially.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2022-04-24 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    You honestly believe that they will tackle decade old, poorly documented spaghetti code, held together by duct-tape unless they absolutely have to?

:'D
    I honestly believe it's possible. I'm with you on being skeptical of whether it will happen, hence the "Maybe, possibly, eventually..." right in front of that statement.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man people are saying DNC is shitty in CC. Funny how I managed to climb to crystal in a single day with it. And now they're giving it massive buffs? I guess I gotta be thankful to all the people who don't actually know how to play it for making me a god.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Man people are saying DNC is shitty in CC. Funny how I managed to climb to crystal in a single day with it. And now they're giving it massive buffs? I guess I gotta be thankful to all the people who don't actually know how to play it for making me a god.
    Not sure how many games you fit into a day, but that sounds like a pretty busted ranking system if you went from zero to highest rank in one day.

In any case, that really has nothing to do with job balance anyway.

Anyone can get to Crystal with any job, this isn't the same pvp system thats in WoW, but Dancer is easily one of the lower tier jobs. They got the buffs because they were dogshit compared to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Not sure how many games you fit into a day, but that sounds like a pretty busted ranking system if you went from zero to highest rank in one day.

In any case, that really has nothing to do with job balance anyway.
    Isn't FFXIV PVP "ranking" system = "you can only advance, and never de-rank"?
    It's basically just another bar to fill up/grind for.... like grinding experience.. or reputation

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Isn't FFXIV PVP "ranking" system = "you can only advance, and never de-rank"?
    It's basically just another bar to fill up/grind for.... like grinding experience.. or reputation
    You are conflating the series malmstones (ie the reward track) with the ranking system. In the ranking system, you can't lose tiers, ie you can't fall from silver to bronze. You can only lose stars within a tier. However, once you reach crystal tier, you are no longer ranked by stars, but by a score.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.1 Patch Notes
    The Crystal Tier
    There is one tier above Diamond─the Crystal tier. When ranked in this tier, your skill level will be reflected by your Crystal Credit, rather than Rising Stars. Your Crystal Credit score will increase by 100 upon winning a match, and decrease by 100 after losing. Significant differences between your team and the opposing team's average Credit will increase the amount your score changes upon a win or loss. Streak bonuses do not apply to Crystal Credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    You are conflating the series malmstones (ie the reward track) with the ranking system. In the ranking system, you can't lose tiers, ie you can't fall from silver to bronze. You can only lose stars within a tier. However, once you reach crystal tier, you are no longer ranked by stars, but by a score.
    Oh okay, but it seems like you reach crystal eventually no matter what? Like as if you could get to legend in hearthstone no matter how frequently you lose?

edit: nvm.

it's basically hearthstone without deranking... but a rank up is not guaranteed.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2022-04-26 at 08:27 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The input lag FFXIV has now could be fixed eventually. It has gotten marginally better since it was first launched. Maybe, possibly, eventually....one day they'll fix their shit and be closer to WoW's buttery smooth game play.
    Im so used to lag that I barely notice it.
    Having to play on American servers from half a world away on most games is just normal at this point for me
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    Oh okay, but it seems like you reach crystal eventually no matter what? Like as if you could get to legend in hearthstone no matter how frequently you lose?

edit: nvm.

it's basically hearthstone without deranking... but a rank up is not guaranteed.
    You can drop rank, just can't lose your current bracket. You can drop from Diamond 1 with 3 stars all the way down to Diamond 5 with 0 stars and then you'll have to win 15 more games than you lose to get back.

And as for being able to attain crystal in a single day: Lots of people are doing it, but lots are getting stuck in plat and diamond. It's not really possible to hit crystal by pure brute force if you're bad or even mid unless you get carried 40 games in a row.

Man a couple of changes and Dancer and Reaper feel so much better in PVP.

Sage sadly still feels like shit.

Dragonsong War is something else. TPS is super far ahead of everyone (that streams, anyway) but I would not be surprised if it took until Saturday or Sunday for a kill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Please compared to 2.0 it's nonexistant..2.0 titan was legot fighting him and the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Please compared to 2.0 it's nonexistant..2.0 titan was legot fighting him and the system.
    True but that's not what I'm talking about.

The issues with the netcode (I'm not sure 100% what that's called, is it latency?) causing things like Titan 2.0 where people could see themselves out of the AoE yet still get hit by it aren't the same as ability input lag, where you hit a button and there's a slight delay before the ability actually goes off. Like with WHM and Benediction, where you can hit it and it go on cooldown, yet the ability itself doesn't actually hit the target before they die.

10+ Year Old Account
    True but that's not what I'm talking about.

The issues with the netcode (I'm not sure 100% what that's called, is it latency?) causing things like Titan 2.0 where people could see themselves out of the AoE yet still get hit by it aren't the same as ability input lag, where you hit a button and there's a slight delay before the ability actually goes off. Like with WHM and Benediction, where you can hit it and it go on cooldown, yet the ability itself doesn't actually hit the target before they die.
    It's not actually input lag. The game is recognizing your inputs when you press them. The problem is that there's an animation lock on abilities. It's why in PVP you can sometimes get hit for full damage even though you're guarding. Because it technically looks like you're getting hit after guarding, the damage was registered when they hit the button and the animation lagged behind.

It's very confusing and in PVP especially frustrating, but they'd have to change the way the animation locks work in the game for it to change which is likely very difficult for them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    It's not actually input lag. The game is recognizing your inputs when you press them. The problem is that there's an animation lock on abilities. It's why in PVP you can sometimes get hit for full damage even though you're guarding. Because it technically looks like you're getting hit after guarding, the damage was registered when they hit the button and the animation lagged behind.

It's very confusing and in PVP especially frustrating, but they'd have to change the way the animation locks work in the game for it to change which is likely very difficult for them to do.
    Fair enough. The result is the same though, and it should be changed.