Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

all this comparing against WoW.
    I wasn't comparing to WoW, I was simply asking out of my EXPERIENCES from WoW, which is kinda natural seeing how it's the biggest MMO to date, and surely will be for quite some time...Comparing? No...learning from it and knowing what I dislike? Yes.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 12:18 AM ----------

I..love..the...sound..of..GW2...mechanics.

I've seen them in action and I've often kept my eyes open for text saying "Miss" or "Parry" or whatever, but never seen it..this makes me happy :3. Missing, hitting and avoiding the enemy from parrying and getting away SHOULD be down to how you fight, and it seems that's what we're getting in GW2..gotta love it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Nope.

GW2 attributes are:
    Power — increases attack
    Precision — increases critical hit chance
    Toughness — increases defense
    Vitality — increases maximum health
    Pretty much this. I want WoW to stay where it's at (although they should lose some useless stat stacking), and GW2 to stay on its path of those four listed above. As mentioned in some of the other posts, you have to aim properly to actually hit people now. No more random arrows or spells curving to come and hit you (no one can do that in real life).

I would like to focus more on exploring and random fun/RP come GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Pretty much this. I want WoW to stay where it's at (although they should lose some useless stat stacking), and GW2 to stay on its path of those four listed above. As mentioned in some of the other posts, you have to aim properly to actually hit people now. No more random arrows or spells curving to come and hit you (no one can do that in real life).

I would like to focus more on exploring and random fun/RP come GW2.
    Well yes and no. I do believe spells and arrows have an auto target as well as a way to manually aim them. But you only miss if a person actually dodges, or actually hides behind something. Its going to be so frikn sweet!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    Well yes and no. I do believe spells and arrows have an auto target as well as a way to manually aim them. But you only miss if a person actually dodges, or actually hides behind something. Its going to be so frikn sweet!!
    Most spells and ranged abilities do have auto target, but the ones that fire in a cone don't. You click and shoot for those.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Was there something like that in GW1?

I just personally love games where your character trains as you go forward, and when they reach max level, are pro enough to handle their weapons and hit their targets....in WoW, for example, you level through 84 levels to reach the max, and then you STILL do not know how to handle weapons and hit targets....it's like..what? I just despise the feeling of reaching 85 and then knowing I'll have to balance stats around hit and/or expertise, instead of just getting gear and balance the FUN parts (crit, haste and so on).

So..anyone know? Will we have to balance hit and expertise-type of stats in GW2 as well?

What do you mean by not being able to handle your weapon? You don't have weapon skills anymore in WoW.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogorous View Post
    What do you mean by not being able to handle your weapon? You don't have weapon skills anymore in WoW.
    Guessing he means that lack of hit rating makes you miss as if you weren't proficient with the weapon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Well there is no auto attack, and you can swing at the air with your abilities. Your skill is your hit rating.
    And this is what will make GW2 more enjoyable for me. Instead of rearranging stats every time I get a new piece or a new patch comes out, I just have to improve my own skills.

I can see why people don't like hit rating and expertise as they aren't really essential stats. I kind of like hit rating/expertise though because it actually gives you more to think about/consider when gearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    I can see why people don't like hit rating and expertise as they aren't really essential stats. I kind of like hit rating/expertise though because it actually gives you more to think about/consider when gearing.
    Whether or not I hit someone shouldn't be determined by a dice roll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by brown View Post
    yeah, really makes you think when you go on wowreforge.com and press optimize.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeah, really makes you think when you go on wowreforge.com and press optimize.
    Why do you even need to go to a website to do that? 5% hit for PVP 8-17% for pve depending on ranged/ melee dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Why do you even need to go to a website to do that? 5% hit for PVP 8-17% for pve depending on ranged/ melee dps.
    slackers be slack yo

Deleted
    Hopefully not, I hate them.

10+ Year Old Account
    slackers be slack yo
    It even tells you in-game, too. These new slackers are even worse than my generation of slackers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most stats in WoW are completely useless and could be taken out of the game. Stats like intellect and spirit could be combined. Hit and expertise could be combined. Dodge, parry, and block could be combined. If you're going to play GW2 then you'll need to discard normal thinking conventions and expectations of what you believe an MMORPG should or shouldn't have/be.

GW2 is not WoW. That isn't a chair you're sitting in. You are now phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    It's a dice roll mechanic. It still harkens back to table top role playing games.
    I know I played some 3rd edition DND. I can understand it for a turn based system where at best you have a couple plastic figures on a map to determin where everything is and due to being turn based you cant dynamicly dodge or reposition. There's just no other fair way to determin if you managed to hit a target other than random chance (and standing close enough). Even then I viewed the armor class calculations vs the hit rolls are more weather or not you managed to get past the armor when dealing with a large target and a mix of armor/dodge on a smaller more evasive target. Even there it buged me that no mater how good your character was you had a random chance to roll a 1 and drop your sword on your own foot. However when fighting a 3D monster real time the suspension of disbelief breaks down a lot when you clearly see your sword pass through the monster but the game spits back you missed because of a dice role.

Who is John Galt?

Nope, but players can manually dodge missiles.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 08:55 AM ----------

slackers be slack yo
    Reforging to be perfectly optimal is slacking? Hmm... that's new.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post

Reforging to be perfectly optimal is slacking? Hmm... that's new.
    Needing a website to do that for you, yes yo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Needing a website to do that for you, yes yo.
    Depends what class you're playing, and if you want to min/max.

If you're caster and just reforge hit until you hit cap then reforge intellect instead, you don't need a tool.
    But with my Rogue, Shadowcraft always did stupid things with my reforge to find 1 or 2 more dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I know I played some 3rd edition DND. I can understand it for a turn based system where at best you have a couple plastic figures on a map to determin where everything is and due to being turn based you cant dynamicly dodge or reposition. There's just no other fair way to determin if you managed to hit a target other than random chance (and standing close enough). Even then I viewed the armor class calculations vs the hit rolls are more weather or not you managed to get past the armor when dealing with a large target and a mix of armor/dodge on a smaller more evasive target. Even there it buged me that no mater how good your character was you had a random chance to roll a 1 and drop your sword on your own foot. However when fighting a 3D monster real time the suspension of disbelief breaks down a lot when you clearly see your sword pass through the monster but the game spits back you missed because of a dice role.
    Well, in 4th Edition there is no critical miss chart anymore, so no more weapons being dropped, unless the DM wants it. And the attack role of the D20 doesn't represent just personal skill, it's also luck and the skill/luck of your target. And I think Armor Class is generally described as the difficulty in getting past armor, be it penetrating the armor or getting past the enemies parries and dodges. I generally narrate misses as either blocks, dodges or the attack being blunted by the armor.

And in WoW it might not really make sense now, but it probably was the easiest way to simulate combat with 40 players seven years ago.
    Resurrected Holy Priest