Poll: Who will win in 1-on-1 combat: Dubmbledore or gandalf the White

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Who will win in 1-on-1 Combat: Dumbledore or Gandalf the White

Who will win in 1-on-1 Combat: Dumbledore or Gandalf the White

I am not too sure on this one either.

Gandalf the White is near godlike status.

This question has been asked here before, and Gandalf always (justifiably) wins.

Gandalf hands down. If you read the books you would know "white" wizards are almost untouchable

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Gandalf will not let him pass... So I'd say Gandalf would win

well I don't think they've ever met for a combat battle yet, but they did meet for a RAP BATTLE!!

and I have to say dumbledore won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    well I don't think they've ever met for a combat battle yet, but they did meet for a RAP BATTLE!!

and I have to say dumbledore won.
    saw the title and immediately thought of that. the best rap battle, though has to be einstein vs. hawking

Might be different if it were Gandalf the Grey

Deleted
    Human wizard versus a Maia. Gandalf all the way

Gandalf killed a Balrog pre-white, Dumbledore was killed by snape.

Gandalf wins.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Gandalf killed a Balrog pre-white, Dumbledore was killed by snape.

Gandalf wins.
    Really? Dumbledore planned his death years in advance. He was always 100 steps ahead of everyone else. I would say power wise, it would probably be Gandalf, however wisdom, knowledge, and thinking wise it would most definitely be Dumbledore.

it would be fair if it were gandalf the grey. dubledore has no match for a white

Gandalf is the LOTR equivalent of a lesser god, the same "species" as Balrogs and Sauron. Hands down Gandalf wins.

If i remember Wizards in LOTR are kinda like demigods/angels type beings so im pretty sure gandalf would rape dumbledore.

Quote Originally Posted by Berteh View Post
    Well Gandalf will not let him pass... So I'd say Gandalf would win
    Pretty much this. You can't win if you can't pass, I've learned this from monopoly during the times when I got go to jail fucked for half the game.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Really? Dumbledore planned his death years in advance. He was always 100 steps ahead of everyone else. I would say power wise, it would probably be Gandalf, however wisdom, knowledge, and thinking wise it would most definitely be Dumbledore.
    Gandalf planned the battle of pelennor fields thousands of years before it happened. I'm pretty sure that puts Gandalf like a few million steps ahead of everyone else.

Also, this thread has been done before, no one could come up with a single reasonable argument for how Dumbledore could possibly beat Gandalf.

Gandalf is basically a demi god, he's not even human. There is nothing Dumbledore could do that Gandalf couldn't counter in a ridiculous amount of ways, and no one can out think Gandalf either.

Also, concerning knowledge, Gandalf factually beats Dumbledore. There's no way you could learn as much as Gandalf with just a single mortal lifetime. And Dumbledore, while extremely powerful, is only human.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 09:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Karashote View Post
    it would be fair if it were gandalf the grey. dubledore has no match for a white
    It still wouldn't be fair. Even as Gandalf the Grey, he's still a servant of the secret fire, he can still partially alter reality. The attack he tried to use on the Balrog would have disintegrated a lesser foe. Edit: Lol just realized I said Balor instead of Balrog. Too much D&D on the brain.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-11-04 at 02:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Gandalf the White would absolutely wipe the floor with Dumbledore.

I love both characters, but really... It's not even a contest.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

15+ Year Old Account
    Gandalf has no spells. Or mana. Uses a stick and a sword. Not very effective against another wizard. Dumbledore on the other hand has plenty of both!

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Deleted
    That's because LOTR is well written literature that keeps magic under control lest it render all things nonsensical. Whereas Harry Potter is overblown shit about a O level student trying to stop a change in management at his school.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Gandalf has no spells. Or mana. Uses a stick and a sword. Not very effective against another wizard. Dumbledore on the other hand has plenty of both!
    Gandalf has plenty of spells, he simply chooses not to use them most of the time for two main reasons. One, he feels no need to show off. He doesn't care what people think of him, he's not a glory seeking showoff. Two, it makes him tired, so it can be inconvenient, especially in a longer battle. This limitation doesn't apply nearly as much when he's Gandalf the White though.

That being said, he can do retardedly powerful magic when he puts his mind to it. For example, he can shoot a blast of fiery light that will basically disintegrate any mortal being. He can also alter reailty on smallish levels. He can throw a tidal wave at you, or open up a really really deep pit in the earth under your feet, and then close it on you. He can most definitely shoot bolts of lightning at people. He can significantly amplify his defenses against any attack, be it magical or physical. He can deflect spells with his mind, and swords and arrows won't pierce his skin. Physically, he is several times stronger and more athletic than a normal human, despite looking very old.

When Gandalf gets going though, he makes shit run in terror. Like when he got attacked by a bunch of Ringwraiths at night on weathertop. The flashes of light from his battle could be seen from miles away, and those wraiths ran like bitches, despite attacking at night, when they outnumber him. And Ringwraiths are superhuman immortal undead king warrior sorcerers with evil weapons. A Ringwraith could slay a cave troll 1 on 1 without breaking a proverbial sweat. I don't remember the exact number that attacked him, but I'm pretty sure it was five.

He made guys like that run away scared. And that was when he was Gandalf the Grey. As Gandalf the White, he'd roflcopter them a lot worse.

Ya know, all of the misconceptions about Gandalf and Sauron over the last few days have irked me a little bit. I mean, I love Peter Jackson, (no homo) he made my absolute favorite movies. But his lore fubars, and the way he portrayed some of the characters makes me want to punch babies.

The hobbits in return of the king were portrayed terribly. Frodo was way smarter in the books, he was never tricked by Golum. Sam went on a small murderous rampage when Frodo was captured. Merry mercs a black troll and an Uruk-hai captain back to back in the same fight. I guess Pippin was portrayed pretty well, he was always useless except in the battle of Bywater. Also, Merry killed the Witch-King, not Eowyn. Eowyn stabbed his dead body in the face as he was falling to the ground. Merry had already delt the killing blow by stabbing him in the foot with a blade of Westernesse, one of the most potent magic weapons to ever exist, with an enchantment on it that is specifically designed to deal instant death to the Witch-King. Saruman doesn't die after Isengard is taken. He dies after the war of the ring when he takes over the Shire.

And I'd need a whole freakin essay to explain how badly they messed up the lore of Anduril, the battle of pelennor fields, and the banner of Elendil. There's pretty much a moderate to major lore mistake every 15-20 minutes in every lotr movie.
    Last edited by OrcsRLame; 2011-11-04 at 02:31 PM.