LastLast

Does my PC need more RAM?

Hi my computer is this:

Alienware Dimension AURORA
    Intel(R) Core(TM) I7 cpu 920 @ 2.67GHz
    RAM: 3.00 GB (I'm guessing DDR3)
    64-Bit OS

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

I have recently downloaded the Witcher 2 and my PC can't handle it. Recently its been very slow as well.

I always delete temp files and other fiels to clean up my memory. I de-fragment my PC regularly and I've tried system restoring back to factory settings but doesn't make a difference and do many virus scans. Nothing works to help increase the performance of my PC.

I was thinking I could use some more RAM but I am not that great with PC hardware. Can anyone tell me if I'm right or if wrong what you can recommend to me. Thank you.

If windows 64-bit, add more ram.

If windows 32-bit, then install windows 64-bit and add more ram.

These are the rules

3GB of RAM is borderline really and will slow you down maybe 10-20% varying from game to game, but what's dragging you down in Witcher2 is totally worthless graphics card.

GTS240 was low end when it was released few years ago, and never had a place in any kind of gaming computer. Would call Alienware selling that for gaming setup a rip-off.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yeah never buying an alien ware again. So would you say its worth me getting a better graphics card?

Yes it is. A GTS 240 is...lacking...
    What would be your budget for a new card?

You will need both a new graphics card and new RAM probably. Then again, if you get a new Graphics card you will need a new Power Supply most likely too.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Video card is definitely pulling you down. An entry level video card would be the Radeon HD6790 for $140 or move up to the higher end video cards such as the Radeon HD6850 or nVidia GTX 560 Ti.

Deleted
    Well yeah a minimum of 4.00GB ram wouldn't hurt. Also your graphics card was a medium card 2 years ago. It's slower then the ATI 4770 which is its counterpart i guess. So your hardware is just getting to old. It's weird that u have old parts in your computer because your CPU is fine. I advice you to get 4gigs of ram and maybe a new GPU. Watch out that u can't just put another 1GB extra in your pc. The ram has to be compatible so this prolly means you have to buy 2x2GB sticks. You can get a Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/4G for 22 euro's these days. The 8gb version is 33 euro's :P.

GPU wise you have 2 options. The budget version which is the Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 costing around 90-100 euro's or the Sapphire HD6950 Dual Fan 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E which is a bit more high end but it costs you about 200 euro's.

P.S I prefer ATI over Nvidia but you can easily look up nvidia counterparts.

It will be DDR3 because you are using an i7 920, which uses the LGA 1366 socket.

Although I do think you would benefit from a new graphics card more, 3GB is borderline
    for most new setups, it would be worth upgrading to 6GB(see below).

Steps:
    1-Start up Task Manaster (Start->type "taskmgr" and hit enter)
    2-Play the game you want to play and look at the Memory Usage under the Performance tab.
    3-If it is going to or near 100% while playing you might want to consider upgrading, stop here if it is.(if not see below)
    4-Try removing unnecessary programs from running. Assuming you are running Windows Vista/7 you can get a lightweight
    virus scanner called Microsoft Security Essentials that will perform better then most pay antivirus software, and its free!
    -Make sure stuff that doesn't need to be running isn't(torrent programs, media players, weather notifiers, fancy widgets, etc)
    -If you are still having issues see below.
    5-It is probably your video card holding you back, depending on your budget I'd recommend something similar to a gts 450/460 or gts 560 from Nvidia(Or AMD equiv).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Coldchaos; 2011-11-02 at 05:48 PM.

I'm not sure whether I will need to better power supply or not, how can I find this out? Thanks for the advice and the nVidia GTX 560 Ti. looks tempting but I don't want to buy it then find out my computer can't handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by InfernoXV8 View Post
    I'm not sure whether I will need to better power supply or not, how can I find this out? Thanks for the advice and the nVidia GTX 560 Ti. looks tempting but I don't want to buy it then find out my computer can't handle it.
    Open your case and look for a big black box near where you plug your computer in, read the label on the side.

Edit- It will have lots of cables coming from it.

4gb is minimum for running any modern games now on vista/windows 7. Since you are running a 64-bit OS you can go over 4gb if you want. Ram is pretty cheap now so I would recommend getting maybe a 4 gb stick for around $25. And yes your graphics is lagging behind for modern games. If you have a decent quality PSU at 400watt or better you likely won't need a new one either as long a you arent going crazy with your graphics setup

Notice for those saying 4GB, he is running an LGA 1366 motherboard which means the ram has to be in triples, he will only be able to upgrade easily in groupings of 3GB.

So can I buy any RAM stick which comes in a 3GB and DDR3 and then will it be compatable?

Edit - It recommends:
    Up to 16GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 16GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1866Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 2133Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Not sure which one of the 4 I should try to find.
    Last edited by MayronWoW; 2011-11-02 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    4GB Ram for Pure Gaming
    GTX 460
    x4 95X+ BE

You should get 64Bit Windows Home Premium or Pro, make sure your mobo supports DDR3 ram (dont buy DDR2 waste of money) get 4GB RipjawsX 1600 and new GPU.

As others said, your GPU is weak.

So can I buy any RAM stick which comes in a 3GB and DDR3 and then will it be compatable?
    You need 64BIT OS to use more then 3.3GB of RAM since 32bit is limited to 3.3GB of RAM. You probably have 4GB of RAM but only 3GB is used.

DDR2 mobo and DDR3 ram not compatible and vice versa afaik.

If you looking for upgrades then post your full specs (psu, gpu, cpu, ram, mobo) here or in a new thread with your budget and people will help you out.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-11-02 at 06:04 PM.
    -K

As long as the speed rating and timing are the same it will work.

Alternatively(and my suggestion), buying a 3x2GB pack(6GB total) and just replacing the current ram with new; Almost guarantees that it works and only costs <$25 more. Any G.Skill DDR3 1600 6GB(3x2GB) will set you back no more then $70 total(Newegg has free shipping on most ram), and you can easily install it yourself.

Edit- Can't post links yet, going to Newegg and typing in "F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ" will find you a good reviewed set for $50 that has free shipping and should suite what you need.

Edit2-
    Up to 16GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 16GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1866Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    Up to 8GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 2133Mhz - 4 DIMMS
    1600Mhz RAM is more then sufficient for most gaming purposes. Faster ram is usually only used in high memory use applications like video/3D/photo editing.
    Last edited by Coldchaos; 2011-11-02 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldchaos View Post
    Alternatively(and my suggestion), buying a 3x2GB pack(6GB total) and just replacing the current ram with new
    Slightly confused, why do I need to remove the RAM I already have and replace it? I thought I should just simply buy more onto what I have. Sorry not arguing but I just don't know these things.

Edit - Also I found the RAM you described thank you.

Slightly confused, why do I need to remove the RAM I already have and replace it? I thought I should just simply buy more onto what I have. Sorry not arguing but I just don't know these things.

Edit - Also I found the RAM you described thank you.
    There can be issues if the speed and timing of the old ram do not match the new additions; AKA they won't sync properly or one set will have to be adjusted to match the other. If you can find a 3GB pack that matches your current specs it would most likely work fine.

---------- Post added 2011-11-02 at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    4GB Ram for Pure Gaming
    GTX 460
    x4 95X+ BE

You should get 64Bit Windows Home Premium or Pro, make sure your mobo supports DDR3 ram (dont buy DDR2 waste of money) get 4GB RipjawsX 1600 and new GPU.

As others said, your GPU is weak.

You need 64BIT OS to use more then 3.3GB of RAM since 32bit is limited to 3.3GB of RAM. You probably have 4GB of RAM but only 3GB is used.

DDR2 mobo and DDR3 ram not compatible and vice versa afaik.

If you looking for upgrades then post your full specs (psu, gpu, cpu, ram, mobo) here or in a new thread with your budget and people will help you out.
    His CPU is already far superior to an AMD 955BE, that and mixing AMD and Nvidia is generally not recommendable because (most) AM3 chipsets will not allow you to SLI later on if you wish to upgrade with an additional card.
    Last edited by Coldchaos; 2011-11-02 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldchaos View Post
    Steps:
    1-Start up Task Manaster (Start->type "taskmgr" and hit enter)
    2-Play the game you want to play and look at the Memory Usage under the Performance tab.
    3-If it is going to or near 100% while playing you might want to consider upgrading, stop here if it is.(if not see below)
    I'm doing this but there are 2 percentages. Physical Memory and CPU Usage. Which one should I be looking at?

Deleted
    I'm doing this but there are 2 percentages. Physical Memory and CPU Usage. Which one should I be looking at?
    PhysMemory