Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    welll SWTOR happens thousand years before the movies so pretty much everybody can die on SWTOR and wont afect the lore.. i can be wrong tho

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, the parallel universe thing is technically true.

In July 2001, Lucas gave his opinion on the matter of what is canon in Star Wars during an interview with Cinescape magazine:

“ There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe – the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe.
    Further, in an August 2005 interview in Starlog magazine:

STARLOG: "The Star Wars Universe is so large and diverse. Do you ever find yourself confused by the subsidiary material that's in the novels, comics, and other offshoots?"
    LUCAS: "I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."
    TOTAL FILM: "The Star Wars universe has expanded far beyond the movies. How much leeway do the game makers and novel writers have?"
    LUCAS: "They have their own kind of world. There's three pillars of Star Wars. I'll probably get in trouble for this but it's OK! There's three pillars: the father, the son and the holy ghost. I'm the father, Howard Roffman [president of Lucas Licensing] is the son and the holy ghost is the fans, this kind of ethereal world of people coming up with all kinds of different ideas and histories. Now these three different pillars don't always match, but the movies and TV shows are all under my control and they are consistent within themselves. Howard tries to be consistent but sometimes he goes off on tangents and it's hard to hold him back. He once said to me that there are two Star Trek universes: there's the TV show and then there's all the spin-offs. He said that these were completely different and didn't have anything to do with each other. So I said, "OK, go ahead." In the early days I told them that they couldn't do anything about how Darth Vader was born, for obvious reasons, but otherwise I pretty much let them do whatever they wanted. They created this whole amazing universe that goes on for millions of years!"
    TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"
    LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."
    You can read more about all that stuff here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

Also, Star Wars has 5 different levels of canon. (That can be found on that page as well)
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-03 at 04:40 AM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    thank you trolls, I knew I wasn't crazy. Thanks for clearing that up ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    You're very welcome.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

While we know the end result of the war, we don't know the results of the battles that take place between.

This is 3000 year before Darth Vader, so it doesn't matter who wins.

Ive noticed some of you have those banners / signatures I'm assuming based of your characters you created in swtor. I guess without breaking the NDA code of life. Can u guys say how you feel about your time spent with the game thus far? I'm really excited to play unfortunately didn't get into beta. I hope its an all around fun game. I would love to immerse myself in that universe especially with bio-wares trademark ability at engrossing story telling.

P.S Feel free to send me a pm about a more throrough explanation:

palpatine says in episode 3, "once more the sith shall rule the galaxy", so at least once they won and were in power, I dont see why they have to lose this conflict in swtor.
    but In the end it doesnt matter, we probably won't see the end of the war anyway, like in WoW its a neverending conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by moff View Post
    but In the end it doesnt matter, we probably won't see the end of the war anyway, like in WoW its a neverending conflict.
    Like the Neverending story!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Does anyone else feel rather strange how the factions work within the old republic?

Isn't the Sith Empire practically set up to loose this entire thing? How to they reflect it in the Game itself?

These questions often bug me, because it would be weird trying to root for your faction when it's predestined to fail.

Things like killing important republic characters, or maybe having Revan, this can't really happen if they are trying to keep to Star Wars lore can it?
    If they were really concerned with lore, there wouldn't be playable sith. The Rule of Two. There can only be a master and an apprentice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Does anyone else feel rather strange how the factions work within the old republic?

Isn't the Sith Empire practically set up to loose this entire thing? How to they reflect it in the Game itself?

These questions often bug me, because it would be weird trying to root for your faction when it's predestined to fail.

Things like killing important republic characters, or maybe having Revan, this can't really happen if they are trying to keep to Star Wars lore can it?
    If you sift through SW lore, it's all an endless cycle of either the Sith becoming extinct or the Jedi becoming extinct. But neither seems to ever go away for good, because they are the central philosophies of the SW universe. They are the ying and yang, they can never fully disappear.

It's a cycle, nobody knows where it will end.

You do realize that even episode 6 isn't the end of the official SW lore and there have been books about what happened afterwards, including Han Solo's son becoming a Sith?

From where I stand, it's a never ending cycle of good destroying evil destroying good destroying evil etc etc etc.

1.The Jedi killed a bunch of Sith and chased them out of the Galaxy.
    2.Then there were fallen Jedi that ripped apart the Republic and weakened it, like Exar Kun.
    3. Then there were Revan and Malak who started another Jedi civil war.
    4. Then there was the Sith triumvirate that wiped out 99% of the Jedi in the Republic.
    5. Then, the Exile defeated the Triumvirate and the Jedi Order was rebuilt. But the real Empire still existed.
    6. Then 3k years later, the Sith are gone and defeated, extinct.
    7. Then Palpatine brings the Empire back, issues order 66 and once again the Jedi are extinct.
    8. Then Luke Skywalker begins the Rebellion and defeats Palapatine and now the Sith are again out of the picture.

Doesn't this seem like a cycle to you? And why exactly does it have to end at episode 6, if there were moments in the past where it seemed like it all had ended but in reality it was just another part of the cycle?

Plus, yeah, the little fact that even if you're narrow minded enough to count the 6th episode as be-all-end-all, the game is still set 3000 years before it.

---------- Post added 2011-11-03 at 06:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    If they were really concerned with lore, there wouldn't be playable sith. The Rule of Two. There can only be a master and an apprentice.
    There were a million and one Sith philosophies on the matter, all espoused by different Sith Lords.

It's not an exact science =)

The Rule of Two was just one of them, and is only considered the most popular one because it was the first one to manifest, being in Lucas's movies.
    Last edited by zealous; 2011-11-03 at 10:20 AM.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

15+ Year Old Account
    Zealous, you forgot about the legacy era wipe out of the jedi order and a new "sith" led by an ex-jedi of the clone wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    Nope, Everything in the games/comics/novels is canon UNTIL Lucas go there and retcon the whole thing to fulfill his vision( Clone Wars anyone?)
    You tell me.. stopped watching after half of season 2, how many retcon can you do in a single episode?

-ARC Trooper are trooper that become elite? wut? They should be born with the special gene and training from day 1!
    -Mandalorian being a peaceful gang of peaceful.. guy.. Killed all the lore written by Karen Traviss
    -Asoka, where the hell did you go after the Clone wars? You just disappeared without any mention?
    ETC.

Death to the Clone Wars series!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreavus View Post
    That's dependant upon belief and not of the force itself, as there are varying beliefs to what the force truly is/does, depending on faith of the people. Living force, Unifying Force, etc.
    Medichlorians, OH GOD i said it!
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-11-03 at 09:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Zealous, you forgot about the legacy era wipe out of the jedi order and a new "sith" led by an ex-jedi of the clone wars.
    Heh, yeah, well the point here is - there is no grand finale so far in the SW universe, it's just an endless battle of the Sith against the Jedi, with one or the other order getting wiped out every few dozen/hundred years.

Then it starts again from a new point in the spiral, with either the Sith (Empire) or the Jedi (Republic) coming back from the brink of extinction to get revenge and get back into power.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    The rule of two was brought in by Darth Bane and he was born around 1,000 BBY, some two thousand years after this game takes place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytnim View Post
    The rule of two was brought in by Darth Bane
    Who actually took it from Revan's holocron. The little guy in my avatar =)

Yeah I just found that out when I was double checking on wookieepedia.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealous View Post
    Who actually took it from Revan's holocron. The little guy in my avatar =)

I think people need to stop getting hung up on what we currently know to be the outcome of the movies. This game is set 3k years before hand, so it's like playing game as a Roman soldier and saying "there's no point playing this, I know Rome got wiped out!". That's sort of missing the point. Add to this the fact it's a fictitious universe and the irrelevance of it all becomes infinitely greater.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roqq View Post
    I think people need to stop getting hung up on what we currently know to be the outcome of the movies. This game is set 3k years before hand, so it's like playing game as a Roman soldier and saying "there's no point playing this, I know Rome got wiped out!". That's sort of missing the point. Add to this the fact it's a fictitious universe and the irrelevance of it all becomes infinitely greater.
    Even if you consider the movies, it's still not a clear scenario of "the Jedi win!". Just read my bigger post a couple posts back and you'll see that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roqq View Post
    But this part of the lore is the time when the sith Empire falls.