Page 1 of 2
LastLast

An abundance of tanks?

From looking at polls done not only on this site, but on a few other SWTOR fan sites and the official forums, it seems that the going top choice for
    advanced class is the jedi/sith tank spec.

So im wondering if people are just getting caught up in the game play footage and thinking that "i want to do that" and will soon reroll a different class once
    they have to actually tank something, or are we going to end up with a high tank population in this game?

I know from the stuff ive seen in the trailers and such so far, it makes the tank class look pretty awesome, and all of us that have tanked in the past know
    that it can look great, and still be a very high stress class/spec to play.

15+ Year Old Account
    You mean Juggernaut/guardian? Its not only a tank AC btw, its both a dps spec and a tank spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    You mean Juggernaut/guardian? Its not only a tank AC btw, its both a dps spec and a tank spec.
    Indeed. I see a lot of people using the incorrect terminology to describe their AC/roll choice. Not really anyone's fault though. There's still a certain amount of confusion around base class/AC/Specialization. So all the "Juggs" knocking about will probably be 10-a-penny Vengeance Juggs. Not that I mind as I'll defo be an Immortal Jugg. Reason is simply because I love to Tank and I love the aesthetic of the Sith Warrior.

If it does lead to an overabundance of Tanks though, well, that can be bad right? Even if a lot of them suck, there will be still proportionally more decent tanks knocking about compared to the shortage in other MMO's.
    Last edited by Roqq; 2011-11-03 at 10:45 AM.

more tanks the better. from the polls iv seen the healers / tanks seem to be balancing out and there will be tons of dps as per expected.
    lets face it tanks look super awesome in this game & totally viable, beneficial in PvP

A lot of people going Tank ACs want to be DPS - people like Jedi Guardian DPS because it's using 1 Lightsaber, or well, that seems to be a common reason. Personally, I will be tanking on whichever character I make, although I do too like the look of Trooper Vanguard DPS better than Commando simply because the Guns are more reasonable, Commando Guns make them look like Arnie or Stallone wannabes - I'd clearly have to make my character a massive meat head if I went Commando :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, at this point I think i is just residual confusion from Class>AC>Spec. I wouldn't count on their being many more tanks than any other MMO, but hey, you never know!
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

Ye if anything in this game, healers will be in shortage, not tanks.

I don't think there will be an abundance of tanks compared to other MMO's in TOR. However there will be a higher % of the population that has a tanking AC.

3 out of the 8 AC's have the ability to tank which is a higher ratio than most other MMO's.

I would say that Sith Jugg is the most popular choice for a couple reasons. (It is my class of choice)

A. Its the Vader/Malgus archetype, 2 very popular, badass chars.
    B. Its the stereo typical "Warrior Main Tank" class, similar to other MMOs
    C. Force Charge (Awesome)
    D. Probably the biggest reason, the armor of this AC has you looking like this:

And who doesn't want to look this badass?
    Last edited by jearle; 2011-11-04 at 01:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh I don't mind if there's alot of tanks. True I plan to roll a Tankasin myself, but not because it's the uber rare roll (although I admit that help ;p) but because it's the roll I like the most. That said I also plan to roll a healer and Dps, so if there are alot of tanks that's just dandy, because then I may actually be able to do a couple of flashpoints without needing to wait three days
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by jearle View Post
    3 out of the 8 AC's have the ability to tank which is a higher ratio than most other MMO's.
    That is, 3 out of the 8 AC's per faction.

I think the fact that tanks are supposed to be viable in PvP also helps the seemingly increased number of tanks; you no longer, hopefully, have to be divided between PvE and PvP specc.

Deleted
    I seem to remember a "role poll" somewhere which showed something like 26% tanks, 48% DPS and 26% healers. It had a couple tens of thousands replies aswell, so I feel it might be accurate. DPS will probably wind up being higher in the end though, because all dem 12-year-olds who don't know the Internet can be used to communicate ASWELL as play games on (isn't it marvellous?!).

10+ Year Old Account
    And who doesn't want to look this badass?
    *raises hand*

I think he looks silly. Like the Terminator without his flesh or something.

Now that's more like it. Can't wait to show off my Shadow!

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    *raises hand*

I think he looks silly. Like the Terminator without his flesh or something.

SNIP

Now that's more like it. Can't wait to show off my Shadow!
    I can't wait to kill you and you ilk.

I love the sith versus jedi theme, this shit is gonna be great!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to kill you and you ilk.

You can try, but I'll just hide my presence with the Force and find a perfect opportunity to stab you in the back.

one big worry i have on SWTOR is that we are going to be very short on healers

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volraths View Post
    one big worry i have on SWTOR is that we are going to be very short on healers
    How come? I admit I haven't looked that closely but at least two ACs on each side seem to be able to heal, and the Jedi/Sith classes seem likely to be popular. Or do you just mean that people don't seem to be intending to roll Healers?

I've got to admit, my first instinct wasn't "I'm going to roll a HEALER SITH LORD"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    I've got to admit, my first instinct wasn't "I'm going to roll a HEALER SITH LORD"
    ...and be known as the "Holy Shit"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chastity View Post
    How come? I admit I haven't looked that closely but at least two ACs on each side seem to be able to heal, and the Jedi/Sith classes seem likely to be popular. Or do you just mean that people don't seem to be intending to roll Healers?

second.. i think, just mu opinion btw, that even if there is enough healer AC idk if ppl will actually play them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just realized. Sith and Shit have the same letters.

Just something to think about.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

When I roll a Sith Warrior, I'll probably be Juggernaut spec. I don't have an interest in tanking(i found it really boring in WoW, hopefully ToR will make it fun), but I think it will be fun to dps with one saber. To be able to put out competitive DPS, but have more survivability sounds awesome. And for some reason I've never liked using two lightsabers/dual bladed in any SW game.