Healing Heroic Rag 10

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some insight as a healer starting to progress on Heroic Rag. I'm a Disc Priest working with a Resto Shaman.

I can see us having major issues with mana in the fight as both me and our shaman were at approximately 15% mana when we got to the first World In Flames in Phase 2. Also, we'd already used the first Mana Tide and my Shadowfiend was on CD.

Gear-wise, our raid group is mostly 378 gear with a few 391 pieces here and there. Also one of our tanks left a couple weeks ago and our new prot warrior is mostly still gearing up. And yes, he was getting hit like a truck.

I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to recouperate a lot of mana during phase 3 before the fun starts in phase 4 due to low raid damage, but at the moment it looks like we're going to run out before we get there. Any tips you guys can give for maintaining mana as high as we can during the fight?

I'm currently using a hybrid disc spec with Atonement/AA & SoS, it has worked well for me while progressing through 6/7H but I'm thinking of getting rid of Atonement/AA & picking up the reduced cooldown on Shadowfiend, and also Train of Thought if I can fit it in as well. How useful is ToT for heroic modes? I do use GH quite a lot so getting a free one more often would help I suppose.

The guys who did our server first (top blokes, used to raid with them before they went 10 man) ran with a Holy Paladin/Disc Priest setup. I was a little surprised when I armoryed their Disc priest, who only has about 1100 spirit and reforges everything into haste & crit (uses heroic Eye of Blazing Power & DMC:T). When gearing myself I keep as much spirit as I can, and try to balance haste/crit % and any mastery I can get is nice, and I end up with around 2700 unbuffed. I use DMC:T & Heroic Jaws. Are there any other priests that run with sweet f**k all spirit? How do you make your mana bar last?

Thanks!
    Ream

Deleted
    My guild is trying with resto shaman and disc priest aswell (me beeing the resto shaman).
    Make sure your warrior tank is block cap, that will make his hp bar be less spiky.
    As the resto shaman I'm usually doing most of my healing to the tanks while the priest helps with the tanks a bit and focuses more on the raid healing. As resto shaman youwant to always have riptide on 3 people so you get more mana back from the 4pc, on p1 you want to use healing wave/greater healing wave.

Something to bare in mind is that when you use mana tide, your 195 resistances from the healing stream totem are gone while mana tide totem is up, we have our prot paladin using his fire resist aura to counter this.
    I'm running with almost 3200 spirit with fall of mortality hc and Fiery Quintessence.

I'm sorry I don't know much about how our priest does it but here is his armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...cheal/advanced
    (my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...orish/advanced)

Since we are still progressing with this fight aswell, best try so far was getting to 2nd transition, there isn't much more I can tell you.

Deleted
    Greetings i dont usually post here but well :P im a Disc priest too and currently on last phase (4th phase) of ragnaros 10 man heroic healing it with a resto shamman here you can take a closer look at my character at wow armory

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/korgall/Ravena/advanced (it doesnt let my put the html...)

i am not having mana problems at all during any phase so far... just when ragnaros is at 73% or 74% i cast shadow fiend (allthough you could go without using it...) since when phase 2 is ending and entering phase 3 i would be able to cast the fiend againg (with heroism benefits yuhu) you can use your hymn of hope before the mace lands maybe not the full duration but certainly 80% of its duration, with that you shouldnt be having any mana issues if you need anything explainned with more details just say so

Quote Originally Posted by Ream View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm currently using a hybrid disc spec with Atonement/AA & SoS, it has worked well for me while progressing through 6/7H but I'm thinking of getting rid of Atonement/AA & picking up the reduced cooldown on Shadowfiend, and also Train of Thought if I can fit it in as well. How useful is ToT for heroic modes? I do use GH quite a lot so getting a free one more often would help I suppose.
    i would advice you to take that spec away indeed
    Last edited by mmocd91e2e1a23; 2011-11-03 at 10:52 PM.

Personally, I think Holy would be better for H Rag. Being able to use Renew during transitions and doing more DPS during P3 (with the one Chakra state or whatever) would be really nice. Though if you're better at Disc, it's most certainly doable, I suppose. I would definitely drop Atonement, though.

In P1, never rush to get anyone up. You have 45 seconds between each trap, which is plenty of time to just spam Heal and have everyone safe in time for the next one.

The same goes for the first transition. It will last as long as your DPS take to kill all the adds, so just try to hang on until they get cleared out rather than racing to keep everyone topped off. If your DPS are bad, then they need to improve.

The damage you take in P2 will largely depend on your strategy. Whatever it is, make sure your plan out your cooldown usage, and try to have PoH Aegis bubbles on everyone for each seed explosion.

The second transition will suck huge amounts of ass for you. You have very limited mobile healing, and relatively low HPET spells (ie: no HoTs). You'll just have to pray you don't get the fire debuff from the adds. Tell your raid to group in as closely as possible. We have our tanks bring the adds to the center so they can be cleaved down, then have the raid cluster together for AoE healing efficiency. You don't want them stacked, but you do want them close. You'll want to get into this phase with as much mana as possible.

Regen in P3. As a Priest, you should probably be putting up DoTs and be Holy Fire/Smite Spamming to help the DPS while the Shaman keeps tanks up.

P4 is actually not that bad for healing. It gets spiky, but once your raid has learned it, everything will be under control and smooth. The tank takes a huge amount of damage, but the raid only takes damage from the meteor while it's up, and Superheated when moving from Breadth to Breadth. In between you'll just be keeping the tank up and making sure the OT doesn't die to Superheated.

The big thing, again, is to just not panic at any point in the fight (except second transition), and use the cheapest and lowest MPET you can get away with. The only times you should be freaking out are when seed elementals are actually hitting you (if you go with a strat that has them hitting your raid), and in the second transition phase. Other than that, just cycle bubbles with the ICD of rapture, Penance, Heal, Greater Heal if you need to.

Deleted
    I'd like to hear about how you position yourselves in 1st phase, here is how we do it:
    http://cdn1.bossblueprint.com/php/ge...&img=JRu1wCXME
    while the left healer is maily focused on the tanks, the other one focuses more on bringing the raid up after the traps.

(go to http://bossblueprint.com/world-of-warcraft/app/ if you want to make your own)

Been doing some theorycrafting today & definately speccing OUT of Atonement/AA to opt for a more traditional Disc healing style. It was fun while it lasted /wave

I also think that I'm running with way too much spirit and have made the decision to reforge out of it until I have around 2200, and swapping DMC:T for the Eye of Blazing Power from Alysrazor. Im going to have to time rapture returns better and probably spec into Veiled Shadows.

As a side note, I would post my armory but MMO champ won't let me post links yet...

tidus93:

So you think that the Resto Shaman should mainly be on tanks then? Normally that's my job but I guess we could give it a shot. He helps out with earth shield & riptides where he can but he's been the one keeping up the raid so far.

We're currently working with 4 ranged & 2 melee:

Combat Rogue
    Ret Paladin
    Balance Druid
    Surv Hunter
    Arcane mage
    Demo Lock

Our setup is similar to the one you linked except the tanks are further around to the side and melee also. The melee kept complaining about getting parried so we just adapted and moved in a tiny bit (against my will! Since trap placement can become an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by tidus93 View Post
    Make sure your warrior tank is block cap, that will make his hp bar be less spiky.
    I'd definately agree that our warrior needs more gear. We haven't been very lucky with drops for him since he joined us, however he's a good friend so I guess we'll just have to be patient and hope gear drops next week.