Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    You will not make a substantial amount of money unless you do something they don't want you to.
    Beta Club

Quote Originally Posted by Cryless View Post
    You will not make a substantial amount of money unless you do something they don't want you to.
    An odd statement. Blizzard takes quite a generous cut, so they only make more profit if people raise more money. That doesn't say that they would condone illegal action, but it does say that they won't neccessarily prevent items from going for tens of dollars or euro's.

It's human nature to want and pay the price for ultra rare items. I wouldn't be surprised if some items went for over 50 bucks, through months 2 to 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    An odd statement. Blizzard takes quite a generous cut, so they only make more profit if people raise more money. That doesn't say that they would condone illegal action, but it does say that they won't neccessarily prevent items from going for tens of dollars or euro's.

It's human nature to want and pay the price for ultra rare items. I wouldn't be surprised if some items went for over 50 bucks, through months 2 to 7.
    Pretty sure it's a flat cut at every step. They profit more from people selling lots of items than people selling bigger-ticket items.

Deleted
    You might make a couple of bucks here and there, but I really can't see it making a "nice little income" for any casual player. Play a lot and maybe it'll cover your wow subscription though

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Pretty sure it's a flat cut at every step. They profit more from people selling lots of items than people selling bigger-ticket items.
    As far as I was aware, they're charging percentages. Paypal will be charging percentages for sure, thought Blizzard was doing the same. Guess I was wrong.

What’s Blizzard’s cut?

As with other online auction sites and real-world auction houses, our fee structure will vary by region. However, we plan to collect a nominal fixed transaction fee for each item listed in the auction house. This fee consists of a fixed charge to list the item, which is assessed whether or not the item is successfully sold, and an additional fixed charge that is assessed only if the item is sold. The listing portion of the fee, which helps encourage sensible listing prices and discourage the mass posting of items that are very low quality or would be of little interest to other players, will be waived for a limited number of transactions per account. For players who opt to have the proceeds of their auction house sales go to their third-party payment service account instead of to their Battle.net account, Blizzard will collect a separate “cash-out” fee. Specific details regarding these fees will be announced at a later date.
    For the record, nominal fixed transaction fee could mean two things:
    - a Fixed sum per item, based on a percentage of ,for example, vendor price.
    - a single fixed sum for all items.

The first is more likely, but both dictate that it's "fixed price" so you're on the mark with your suggestion that the cheap quantity outweighs the expensive quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    As far as I was aware, they're charging percentages. Paypal will be charging percentages for sure, thought Blizzard was doing the same. Guess I was wrong.

For the record, nominal fixed transaction fee could mean two things:
    - a Fixed sum per item, based on a percentage of ,for example, vendor price.
    - a single fixed sum for all items.

The first is more likely, but both dictate that it's "fixed price" so you're on the mark with your suggestion that the cheap quantity outweighs the expensive quality.
    I'm pretty sure it was fixed specifically to squash the idea that Blizzard could manipulate this somehow in their favor. They only benefit this way from as many people using it as possible, which is... pretty logical anyway.

Depending on the size of the cuts, it may also end up setting possibly uncomfortably high 'minimum prices', so it's not good for them for this cut to be particularly high, if they want as many using it as possible. Their profit regardless is going to be orders of magnitude smaller than anything like a WoW sub or even box sales.

@Caiada - well I don't thin blizzard can make something that nets them more than the WoW subs, but, they will undoubtably make a decent profit out of diablo's AH.

im just glad they're releasing this system, its a step in the right direction for perhaps us gamers to be seen by society as more than just social shut ins, and "losers", perhaps this step will allow the unemployed gamer that maybe doesnt want to work a boring 9-5 retail job, perhaps they could spend their time playing D3 or whatever game with this system, make some money, and maybe not be looked down upon so much. maybe someday a gamer can be a profession (not MLG or sponsored people, obviously already got those).

Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    im just glad they're releasing this system, its a step in the right direction for perhaps us gamers to be seen by society as more than just social shut ins, and "losers", perhaps this step will allow the unemployed gamer that maybe doesnt want to work a boring 9-5 retail job, perhaps they could spend their time playing D3 or whatever game with this system, make some money, and maybe not be looked down upon so much. maybe someday a gamer can be a profession (not MLG or sponsored people, obviously already got those).
    This is not likely to happen.
    Beta Club

It's also not something that should be wished for, in my opinion. Work is more than just salary. To me.

not likely to happen just on D3, but it could set a trend. im not saying its the end all be all, but it could help some people 10 years down the road if these kinds of trends are being set into the groundwork of things now.

edit: i used to make hundreds of dollars a month when i was in middle school selling EQ items on ebay, lol so anything is possible, dont count it out just yet
    & before ebay shut it all down, there were people making legit five figure incomes selling EQ items on ebay.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2011-11-08 at 10:18 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    its a step in the right direction for perhaps us gamers to be seen by society as more than just social shut ins, and "losers", perhaps this step will allow the unemployed gamer that maybe doesnt want to work a boring 9-5 retail job
    The gamers who take life responsibly are respected people, absolutely nothing wrong with playing games, being good at it and if you make extra money on the side, good for you. But the real shut-in losers who everybody hates are unemployed gamers who don't want to work at all _and_ abuse the system i.e. live at their parents, mooch off the government support.

I support the system which would allow capable and handy gamers to make money exclusively on 9-5 gaming. As long as it's official and it can be taxed. Give back to the economy, don't expect government pension at the age of 75 for playing games all your life and not paying the taxes/social security.