Question Upgrading my computer, can only afford one thing, which is more worth it?

Specs:
    E7300 2.66Ghz
    HD 4830 512MB
    2GB RAM
    Windows Vista (Upgrading to 7 at xmas)
    1680 x 1050 monitor

What I'm wondering is what will give me better performance in games, upgrading my CPU or GPU?
    I've been looking at these two;

CPU: Phenom II 965 + AMD mobo (Newegg)
    GPU: HD 6850 (Newegg)

Thanks.

Edit: Oops, should I have posted this in the subforum instead of here?

Deleted
    It really depends what games you want to play. For WoW, I'd reccomend the CPU. Also; If you KNOW you're getting Windows7, I'd pre-emptively upgrade your RAM to 4/6/8GB. (Your choice really).

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    It really depends what games you want to play. For WoW, I'd reccomend the CPU. Also; If you KNOW you're getting Windows7, I'd pre-emptively upgrade your RAM to 4/6/8GB. (Your choice really).
    Well, I play all kinds of games, WoW, BF3, I plan on playing Skyrim too, WoW runs fine for me it's the other games I want the upgrade for.

Would it be worth it to get 2 more GB of RAM and that graphics card then?

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If WoW is running fine for you with that, then the graphics card will be the best upgrade.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    If WoW is running fine for you with that, then the graphics card will be the best upgrade.
    Alright then, thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Alright then, thanks.
    With that smaller budget, you're going to need to figure out what you want to do long term because even that graphics card won't hold up to future games and your processor is going to bottleneck the graphics card. Just something to keep in mind.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

If you still have cash in your budget I'd add some ram too.

With that smaller budget, you're going to need to figure out what you want to do long term because even that graphics card won't hold up to future games and your processor is going to bottleneck the graphics card. Just something to keep in mind.
    Well, I'll be happy if it lasts a few years, I don't care about maxing out a game I just want them to look decent, and my current card is starting to struggle with running modern games at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Go with a CPU, you also have to get a new motherboard and memory also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post
    It's a no brainer. Get MW3, Skyrim is just a rehash of Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neezh View Post
    Because I'm brave enough to smoke. I see no point in quitting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Courierrawr View Post
    Well, I'll be happy if it lasts a few years, I don't care about maxing out a game I just want them to look decent, and my current card is starting to struggle with running modern games at all.
    Yeah, I'm not optimistic about your processor handling stuff in a few years, you'll need to up that within a year if you want to stay on top of games.

Yeah, I'm not optimistic about your processor handling stuff in a few years, you'll need to up that within a year if you want to stay on top of games.
    Alright, how about that quad core in the op, how long would it last?