Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The main problem with this for me is the scaling of lower level mobs. For example if we reduce from 120k to 20k, that means everything is going down to approx 17% of what it is currently. Lets take Mekgineer Thurmaplugg for an example. He has his hp reduced to 17% of what it is, therefore has 1173 hp (originally 6900). Now he his mean to take about 1 min to kill (ish). So 1173/60 so 19.55. 19.55 is the group dps required to make the encounter last long enough. Split that between 4 players (tanks do same as dps at this level) then that's 4.88 dps per damage dealer. At a dungeon level advised to be 24-34. That's just rediculous. That would mean that from 1-24 you'd be doing less than 4.5 dps... They're gonna have to do something about that.

Deleted
    I would put good money on the item squish having already been done, and now it's up to Greg to sell it to us. While not a bad thing in and of itself, it is a little devious.

Step:
    1. Explain the problem
    2. Give Ludicrous solution, include funny screenshot
    3. Give implemented solution, make it seem like the more rational approach
    4. ???
    5. Pandas!!!!

It's still just a band aid on a deeply inherent problem.

"Were finding it harder to create more an more addictive versions of crack to sell our junkies"
    "I know, tell them that all the crack they had before was actually all the same crack, and that in the NEW expansion, the crack's going to be EVEN better!"

The game needs to be less about trading up on pixels, and more about doing things that are actually entertaining. Can an MMO as big as WoW, with as much momentum as it has, actually change direction?

Deleted
    ......... !

man i just critted that dude for 6.0043.3430.3403 no thanks..

Ghostcrawler says: "The big risk of this approach is that players will log into the new expansion and feel nerfed…"
    We healers start ever expansion bearing the brunt of a new nerf just to make the game funny for the DPS/Tanks, and Blizzard never gave a s*it about our feelings, getting blamed/kicked/insulted/harassed. Those are real nerf, not just "a feeling". Nerf for real the dps/tanks at the begin of the next expansion, Welcome to the Club !
    Last edited by Rhey; 2011-11-04 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Im totally in favour of the item level squash, aslong as its done RIGHT. Its a lot of work for blizzard to do this but i do believe it would work.

One thing im curious about, how would this work for people such as myself that strive on hitting mitigation cap?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the idea of squishing item levels. And the MEGADEATH made me lol.

6,004,334,303,403*

Deleted
    I don't want this.
    Everyone getting nerfed and weaker compared to the previous expansion is inacceptable. And soloing old content, which is an integral part of the game, would become impossible due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakuchin View Post
    I won't mind as long as I can keep soloing old content.
    I second this. However, they mentioned before that this change would make it so that mobs 5-10 levels below you would be much more difficult then they would be currently due to the slope of the curve. So I think in general it will make old content harder to solo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liha View Post
    The main problem with this for me is the scaling of lower level mobs. For example if we reduce from 120k to 20k, that means everything is going down to approx 17% of what it is currently. Lets take Mekgineer Thurmaplugg for an example. He has his hp reduced to 17% of what it is, therefore has 1173 hp (originally 6900). Now he his mean to take about 1 min to kill (ish). So 1173/60 so 19.55. 19.55 is the group dps required to make the encounter last long enough. Split that between 4 players (tanks do same as dps at this level) then that's 4.88 dps per damage dealer. At a dungeon level advised to be 24-34. That's just rediculous. That would mean that from 1-24 you'd be doing less than 4.5 dps... They're gonna have to do something about that.
    But if you read thaey are squishing 60+. The graph itself shows the same line on pre and post squish. 0-60 will be 0-60 as it always is, then 60+ will be more in line with that level of 'growth'

Its not like they weren't told by intelligent players. ilevel inflation took off in Wrath and also led to most normal content becoming tediously easy and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySlug View Post
    They HAVE to do that though or else the first tier(s) of raid content are complete jokes to anyone who completed the final tier of the previous expansion.

Example: Heroic LK dropped 271 gear. First tier of Cata raiding dropped 359. That's 88 ilvl difference. Now, imagine you just cut that difference in half. That would mean that the first tier of raiding would be 44 ilvls above that of the final tier of the expansion before. You'd end up with ilvl 315 gear being dropped in this hypothetical first tier raid. Now, let's look at what that equates to in-game. That's about 2nd tier dungeons (Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle). Now, I don't know how many of you had Heroic ICC gear, but you didn't replace that very quickly AT ALL. Stonecore and Vortex Pinnacle were jokes for most if you had that much gear. To make this gap between expansions smaller than it already is would severely drop the difficulty and satisfaction of raiding at the beginning of an expansion, an issue that was ALREADY a problem in Cataclysm.
    But you do know that the stonecore and vortex items would have lowered stats as well thus being again in the exactly same situation as you were before the squish?

The problem with cataclysm was that the old content remained the same while the new content wasnt adjusted perfectly

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by coltsown View Post
    I am having a lot of trouble understanding why people think old content would be harder. They needed to squish number pre-Cata. No surprise they are having this issue, I am just surprised they didn't talk about it when the players did(or make a plan.) I remember having conversations about this when BC first came out.
    Old content is easy to solo now because of the VAST difference in ilvl eg 200 ilvls if you reduced that to 20 ilvls then you would only have say 20 more str over a char doing it as current content. Even with the nerf to %s of health and armor etc its still going to be a LOT harder to solo stuff.

Its pretty hard to explain tbh, but the people QQing about soloing stuff are indeed correct.

May someone else can take a whack at explaining better?

Im all for the Squish. People may be uncomfortable with it for a while, but they will get used to it. Also, The squish would make some of the old world content feel [I]more[I]rewarding as well, as our stats wont be 8 (or more) times higher then they were. Plus, many people I know thought that Cata gear looked rediculous with the numbers it had to start with anyway.

As much as I love to see the big numbers, the stats and health pools are getting out of hand and as their theoretical pieces show, it will only get worse.SQUISH IT ALL!Especially since I started in vanilla, seeing increases in gear on a more shallow curve would please me, despite not seeing the big number splash across my screen, because even if my aimed shot goes from 30+K crit to 2k crit but watching the mobs health drop the same percentage, I would still be happy.

And soloing old content, which is an integral part of the game,
    Soloing old content is not an 'integral' part of the game. Its a small part a minority enjoy, and good for them because it is fun. I do it sometimes too. But its not an 'integral' part of the game lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Squish it and keep making use of iLevel for dungeon and raids. This way it will still force people to upgrade their armor from teir to teir even if it seems like only a minimal upgrade. It really doesn't matter if we go from doing 1,000,000 dps to 1,000 dps.

Deleted
    Would rather have everything squished than this "mega damage" solution.