Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW 1 before playing 2 ??

so guys do I need to play GW1 to understand whats going on on GW2 ?

Deleted
    Nope, different games. Only lore perhaps, but that will probably explained in Gw2 as well.

Gw 1 sucks, you can't jump

GW1 is one of the main reasons I have zero interest in GW2.

Deleted
    No, it's an entire new game, but you get to keep achivements and titles and stuff from gw1 in your halls of legend, you can show it off at facebook and stuff but nothing affecting the game. Your char wont be coming with you and so on.

My question is, however, being sick and tired of how they just throw in more and more bad things and ideas into world of warcraft to start game jumping asap. And I wonder: Is it worth starting GW1 now? Or is the game style so outdated and so on I will just be disappointed and get bad expectations before GW2 or is it fun and worth it? I'm really curious, and in terms of lore it would be interesting to start with first game.
    What do you people say?

---------- Post added 2011-11-05 at 01:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Orthonon View Post
    Did it scare you away? Im a bit worried they might do that, if graphics and movement and so on are too bad =(

warcraft III scared me away from world of warcraft too! =(

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eec003 View Post
    warcraft III scared me away from world of warcraft too! =(
    so you have never started to play wow either?

No, it's an entire new game, but you get to keep achivements and titles and stuff from gw1 in your halls of legend, you can show it off at facebook and stuff but nothing affecting the game. Your char wont be coming with you and so on.

My question is, however, being sick and tired of how they just throw in more and more bad things and ideas into world of warcraft to start game jumping asap. And I wonder: Is it worth starting GW1 now? Or is the game style so outdated and so on I will just be disappointed and get bad expectations before GW2 or is it fun and worth it? I'm really curious, and in terms of lore it would be interesting to start with first game.
    What do you people say?
    ahh Sweet, btw are u sure lore wise ?
    I left WOW a while ago, cant play this game anymore, and I need a MMO to play until diablo 3 is out, cant find anything tbh.

GW1 gameplay was one of the reasons I was resistant vs. GW2 advertising. It wasn't until I finally started watching YouTube videos for myself that I realized the games are nothing like one another, except for the lore and setting... which was actually the part of GW1 that I really loved. And if you don't want to do an entire play through of GW1 just to catch up on the lore, I suggest THIS YouTube channel. The guy knows his stuff about GW1.

Deleted
    That makes no sense at all. Sorry, but they are totally different games. If you can't see that.. :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by totokoko View Post
    ahh Sweet, btw are u sure lore wise ?
    I left WOW a while ago, cant play this game anymore, and I need a MMO to play until diablo 3 is out, cant find anything tbh.
    Guild Wars 1 was / is really a PvP focussed game. It arguably doesn't even really qualify as an MMO since it is almost entirely instances (you only see players you're not in a party with in the city hubs - all outdoor areas with combat are instanced. It's very PvP focussed as well (max level is 20 in PvE and the endgame for PvE is quite limited). It had nice lore and interesting classes / skills though.

GW2 is looking more like if you got all the original designers of WoW - who were unarguably visionairies of their time - and got them to write World of Warcraft in a world where WoW already exists. If it gets enough traction I really believe that GW2 could be the game that does to WoW what WoW did to Everquest. Unless they screw it up.

You missed the glory days of GW1, pre-factions and about half of factions were the best days. Prophecies(the original) had the best story line out of all 4 games. And back in those days PvP was perfect. Throughout Proph the same top guilds kept their ranks but after that it all went downhill.
    But Yeah, if you want to play Guild Wars 2 for the story and not pvp then I advise picking up all the GW games. But other than lore GW2 will be completely different. I myself as a 6-year old-school hardcore GvG'er will probably only play GW2 to see if the pvp is as good as it was in GW1 if not then ill drop it and go somewhere else.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, you don't need to play GW1 to be able to understand/play GW2. The only difference is that GW2 takes place 250 years after Eye of the North in GW1. So many things have changed, humans don't dominate Ascalon anymore, old heroes have died out and new are on the rise (us the players). I would only recommend playing Guild Wars for the Hall of Monuments rewards, but other than that it's just another older game.

Also, Guild War is a completely different animal than the new Guild Wars 2. It's like comparing an old sheep dog to an elephant!

Here is some random Guild Wars 1 gameplay-

And here's some footage of the Charr starter zone (remember this IS a demo, so it's unfinished) that may help you understand how far they've come since Guild Wars 1.

Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-11-07 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    Gw 1 sucks, you can't jump
    The game wasn't designed to let people jump. It wasn't crucial for people to jump in the game, nor was it required, therefore it's not a flaw in the game.
    You can't jump in Bioshock or Bioshock 2, and those games were blockbusters. The same goes for many other games of varying genres.

Your loss for not investing 5 minutes to read some information.
    On the other hand, you could just be a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by fishious View Post
    ...I suggest THIS YouTube channel. The guy knows his stuff about GW1.
    Also check out Alexridiculous' channels. He's also very detailed, if not, more detailed than WoodenPotatoes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Alexrediculous

15+ Year Old Account
    No you do not need to play Guild Wars in order to enjoy/get into Guild Wars 2.

Game play between the two games is very different. They are overhauling and basically redesigning the second one. If you're interested in lore I would suggest you simply read the guild wars wiki instead. I liked the first one, however. If after looking at some videos of it you are interested in playing, you can always try out the trial of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    -Snip-
    You're contrasting Prophecies, Pre-Searing even, against Guild Wars 2.

That's not even on the same realm of a fair fight!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    GW1 was the first MMO i ever played and yes it had its limitations but what attracted me most about it was its amazing scenery and landscape. The colors and the level of details were above WoW at the time...at least for me. I also liked the lore and the main campaign story. I must admit i played it mostly out of curiosity to see how it would end.

I think i will give GW2 a shot just for old time's sake and to check out the new classes and lore but i don't know if i'm gonna switch to it full time, at least not until I kill Deathwing in WoW .
    Last edited by mmoc9a7e7b6ede; 2011-11-07 at 06:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's really stubborn and ignorant sounding, but that's your prerogative.

No, you don't need to even set your eyes on GW1 to get into, or even understand GW2. Guild Wars 2 could have been called "World of Guild Wars" it's that different. GW1 is more like the WC3 to WoW.

But I really don't understand the GW1 hate. It's really not a bad game at all, it's just very different from other games in the genre and it's definitely a acquired taste. If GW1 wasn't a good game, it wouldn't have sold over 6 million copies, and we wouldn't be getting Guild Wars 2.

GW1 is the kind of game that you're going to get very mixed opinions, and you just need to look into it yourself to know if it's something you'll enjoy. But like I said, you'll never have to touch it if you're just going to play GW2
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I wouldn't reccomend it. Compared to WoW the combat is incredibly stiff and you could read up the lore on the wiki instead. The second game takes place a few hundred years after the first one if I remember correctly so they probably won't be too connected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some guys started a video series for people who haven't played GW 1, dunno if they're developers or not, I didn't watch the video.
    http://www.guildwars2live.com/watch....Wars-Episode-1