Poll: GW1 - worth it or not?

Deleted

GW1 worth it or not?

I'm not much of a game jumper, but I'm really getting sick and tired of the direction of world of warcraft, just getting more and more disappointed the more information they bring.
    I'm very interested by GW2 and can't wait for it to release. However, I never experienced any of the world of warcraft lore... never touched previous warcraft games and I have little to no knowledge of the warcraft lore. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to start GW1: getting lore from the start, getting a picture of how their game style is, and as a bonus getting to keep titles and achivements for GW2.

I'm afraid though, it's an old game with outdated graphics and how problematic is that? How much will it ruin the feeling of GW2? What do you people think and maybe some of you already started GW1 for first time as well? And you old GW-players.. can you still stand the game compared to other games out there?

Help me decide please =)

Well, I picked up Guild Wars and all the expansions so I could work on the Hall of Monument rewards and my experience with it has been a mixed bag. The story has been pretty cool and it's really challenging, but I don't have much time to play and when I do it can be hard going as I'm not particularly knowledgeabe about all the mechanics and the game is pretty unforgiving.

Some of the Hall of Monuments points are a major grind which has really demotivated me, but I would imagine if you didn't care about them and just wanted to play the game casually for the story that it would be much more enjoyable. Anyway, I believe there is a free trial for the game so you can have a go and see what you think.

http://www.guildwars.com/freetrial/

Deleted
    One thing to keep in mind, is that the game is VERY old now. Came out in early 2004 I believe. Didn't have anywhere near the budget that other companies had either. Other than that, it's a pretty good game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a very big fan of the upcoming guild wars 2 game, however.

I think you should read books or lore online do not play guild wars 1.

The first game cant jump swim and buildings only had 1 floor, there was no up down movement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me and my hubby enjoy GW1, and some of the Hall of Monument goodies are easy to get, but as noted above, most of the later ones are nothing but a grind.

But I've been able to get up to 6 so far and slowly counting. Mostly it's up to you, not us really.

I was trying trial but well, did not get into the game, its just not for me I think.

Deleted
    I can't recommend it unless you played Gw1 before. And since you haven't I voted 'no'. I am playing Gw1 myself lately as well (same reason, I cant wait for Gw2 and want HoM rewards), but it is mainly fun because of the nostalgia (played Prophecies in 2005 when I was ~13 yr old ) and because I have (had) previous experience with the game and its gameplay. I dont think you will like it (especially not the beginning/tutorial areas) when you have never played Gw1 before. My advice, just wait til Gw2. If you really want HoM rewards, follow a HoM from scratch guide and dont expect the game to be anywhere near as how Gw2 will be. But since that will be a grind, it might make you dislike Gw1 and maybe even Gw2..

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Me and my hubby enjoy GW1, and some of the Hall of Monument goodies are easy to get, but as noted above, most of the later ones are nothing but a grind.

But I've been able to get up to 6 so far and slowly counting. Mostly it's up to you, not us really.
    The first 30 points are the easiest to get. You can get them pretty much just by playing through all of the games for the most part. After 30 points it's only title rewards, so it's a very large grind just for titles. Although i did finish my 50 points.

Back on-topic: I've played Guild Wars since release and i'm still playing it (after a 2 year break of trying other MMO's) and find it enjoyable for the most part. So i would say yes, GW1 is worth it.

Deleted
    I have played half of my 10 hours free trial. Sure, it's far from as smooth as wow, and you can tell wow has had more improvements. However I like the challange, at lvl 4 I had already been working with 15 spells. Think I might buy it for something extra to do if I get time and are bored. How is pvp working these days, you need a guild to take part in battleground kind of pvp, and is it easy to get groups?

With the way heroes are setup now, groups are pretty scarce. But you don't need groups for much of anything other than a few elite areas and dungeons.

The only Battleground type of pvp are the Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood. You just solo queue for those. The wait to get into that can vary. It also depends if there is a bonus weekend or not.

Guilds can definitely help for pvp but you only need one for Guild versus Guild pvp.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    With the way heroes are setup now, groups are pretty scarce. But you don't need groups for much of anything other than a few elite areas and dungeons.

The only Battleground type of pvp are the Jade Quarry and Fort Aspenwood. You just solo queue for those. The wait to get into that can vary. It also depends if there is a bonus weekend or not.

Guilds can definitely help for pvp but you only need one for Guild versus Guild pvp.
    Ok sounds good =) how long are the queues as the longest and how often are bonus weekends?=)

It can be anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes wait. On bonus weekends it is obviously a lot quicker. A large chunk of the pvp community has left but there is still some action to be had.

To find out what the bonus is go to the wiki page

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

and look at the Latest in game activities panel on the upper right hand side of the main page.

This weekend it is double bonus for the Codex Arena (which is 4v4 arena pvp with a random skill deck).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I'm not much of a game jumper, but I'm really getting sick and tired of the direction of world of warcraft, just getting more and more disappointed the more information they bring.
    I'm very interested by GW2 and can't wait for it to release. However, I never experienced any of the world of warcraft lore... never touched previous warcraft games and I have little to no knowledge of the warcraft lore. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to start GW1: getting lore from the start, getting a picture of how their game style is, and as a bonus getting to keep titles and achivements for GW2.

I'm afraid though, it's an old game with outdated graphics and how problematic is that? How much will it ruin the feeling of GW2? What do you people think and maybe some of you already started GW1 for first time as well? And you old GW-players.. can you still stand the game compared to other games out there?

Help me decide please =)
    understanding what was required to play the game was the most difficult thing for me. due to how the game is designed and due to there being so few lower level players to play with, you end up playing with AI NPCs like Heroes and Henchmen, but once you get your heroes and get them setup the game became alot more fun for me. i love doing the missions (i did factions twice normal/hardmode and i did prophecies twice normal x2 and nightfall twice normal/hardmode) once you get how they flow into each other they start to make sense and things become more intuitive. i am not one to get into story but i love the GW cutscenes and they set up the progression of the story quite nicely. i love the PvP it's alot of fun (i mainly did some Random Arenas to ~100 Gladiator points and did Fort Aspenwood to get my Kurzick/Luxon rep to 550k a piece). it is a culture shock coming from WoW and games like that as there is no jump, there are alot of invisible walls and it has become a more solo affair. so it is an "acquired taste" so it takes some getting used to and it's not as forgiving as WoW, but i find it more rewarding when a mission that was kicking your ass repeatedly becomes your b!tch.

if you decide to get the game then i recommend using the GW Wiki for help and PvXwiki for your skill build and your heroes skill builds too. you might want to look for a guild recruiting as well as there are some who had HoM farming groups and the like.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to work on HoM rewards and reserving a name, it would be worth picking up and playing. It is old though- you have to keep that in mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're up for insta maxlevel equipped with best gear and all skills for PvPing til you cry. Go ahead

If you are up for some good PvE, skip it. It's worthless, the UI is crap, the limitations are horrible and the party system is even more worthless. It feels old and clunky if youare used to the smoothness in WoW, RIFT or any other decent MMO.

I would know, since i swore that i'd never play WoW when i sat there day out and day in nerding GW1, a friend forced me to try WoW, i never went back to GW1 seriously. Only great thing about it is that it's a one time buy and play whenever you want.

But as you should know already, it's packed with expansions. So don't expect to get all the fun content with plain old GW1.

Oh, and one more thing.. You can't.. jump.. Closest to jump is writing /jump and you jump up, but there is no way jumping over a little fence, rock or whatever. It's stupid invisi walls everywhere aswell, and every zone is instanced. You will never see another player out in the world, just in the cities. It's horrible, feels so alone and dead. It's.. even worse than WoW when it comes to finding players, as there is a tiny chance in WoW and zero to none in GW1.

But hey, try it if you want. Probably cheap.

Edit; It also offers zero replayability, there is few quests, since pretty much no one plays it anymore you will almost only bring NPC's with you, makes the game a SP adventure RPG than a MMO.

1 - 20 is a great ride the first way around, after that it's just slow and tedious.

Oh, and the graphics isn't THAT outdated, they are pretty nice. The character customisation is wonderful. Well, it could be better, but it's way more customisable than World of Warcraft. But graphics don't really make the game anyway so..

I'd say give it a go, but don't even begin to compare it with GW2, as it should be a far greater engine and UI/Control overall.

I know it's both bleh and yay in my post, but it's not a "good" game anymore, but it's worth 1 playthrough atleast.
    Last edited by Nelfie; 2011-11-06 at 04:19 PM.
    I registered on MMO-Champion, and all I got was this lousy signature...

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a love it or hate it game. I loved it so I'm going to say it's worth it.

Other's don't so they're going to say its not.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter