[Story] Anachronos' Journey: The Timeless Heir

Anachronos' Journey: The Timeless Heir

Anachronos' Journey is your typical fantasy tale, with a "nice" detail. Time-travel will be heavily involved, which will allow the story to jump between different places and timelines easily, changing the setting with each arc, and giving some variety.

Nozdormu appoints his heir for a travel across time, to test his abilities, as well as investigate some mysterious rifts and alterations in the timeline. Anachronos will eventually meet the infinite dragons, who are wreaking havoc across the existence, and he will have to stop them.

Index
    *Musings (here)
    *Introduction:
    **Morning sunlight (here)
    **Don't eat before the journey
    *Chapter 1 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 2 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 3 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 4 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 5 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 6 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 7 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 8 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 9 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 10 (coming soon)
    *Chapter 11 (coming soon)

Musings (scroll down and ignore if you want to start reading)

Whoa, my first public fanfic :P. So, what can you expect from this? First of all, I wanted to write something about time-travel and bronze dragons since some time ago (no pun intended). I had sketches and whatnot, about bronze dragons chasing infinite dragons across the timelines, in an endless journey.

Finally, I decided to use Anachronos, being the heir of Nozdormu and all. He would travel in time and correct the timelines, and defeat the infinites and their allies, most of the time people moved outside of their time by the infinites so they wreak havoc around, while they eat popcorn and watch the show.

But it was just that, an idea. However, today I got some inspiration, and I already have some basic idea on what to write, and how. Unfortunately, it was a bit "boring", and it needed something more, so I tried introducing dragonsworns in each event, mortals that helped Anachronos and were appointed as Time Watchers, but it didn't work too well, so instead, I'm going to use a gang of time-travelers, from criminals to collateral victims, that join Anachronos, and he, aside from repairing timelines, must bring them back to their places.

And yes, expect Doctor Who jokes all along, but I promise I won't abuse. I may inspire a bit on it on the group themes, but I initially thought all of this before I knew wtf the series was (in fact, I planned to submit this for the penultimate writing contest, but I didn't finish it on time). If you read detective novels usually, you may discover some references around, too.

Well, let's start! Chapters will usually be short, but I will try to post often . This is just an introduction to see reactions and where this could go:

Introduction: Morning sunlight

Tanaris, first years of peace after the Third War.

The morning sun was bathing the sands of Tanaris. Atop a hill, a bronze dragon watched over the landscape, fascinated at how the light slowly advanced through the dunes, banishing the darkness from the land.

As the last shadows of the desert vanished into the day, the fluttering of another of his kind made him turn east, back to where the sun rose each morning, and back to where his dragonflight made their home.

“Early riser as always, my son” smiled the female, landing near him. “I never miss the first rays of sunlight, and I couldn’t live without the vigor their warmth gives me” smiled the son. She followed his eyes, and sighed. “And always your vigil ends to the west, to that cursed city…”

Ahn’Qiraj. The name of the cursed city froze his veins, and then pure rage and hatred shattered the ice and burnt across his body. Ten thousand years ago, blue, green, red and bronze dragons joined the night elves against the qiraji, an evil force trying to consume the world. They “won”, more or less. The qiraji threat was unstoppable, and so, he himself, together with the night elf druid, sealed the city and froze the terrors inside, until some day they would be able to finally defeat them for good. Many died during the war, and some were trapped alive inside the city together with the qiraji. If only he hadn’t refused to help in the first place...

“Anachronos” his mother spoke his name, concern on her eyes. His attention came back to the present. “The sun always banishes the darkness in its path, but it won’t ever banish the darkness of that accursed place” replied her. “The mortals have signed the end of the Third War, you should rejoice at the present, and forget the past”. “My past and my future are my present, mother, as are yours and any other bronze dragons’”. “Oh, come on... no, it’s my fault for asking” smiled at him, and he smiled back at her.

She turned serious again. “Your father wants to speak with you, it’s important”.

Continue reading here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14190092
    Last edited by Lon-ami; 2011-11-12 at 05:38 PM.

It continues:

Introduction: Don't eat before the journey

The Caverns of Time were the lair of the Bronze dragonflight, and the perfect testament of the power of their owners. Anachronos flew across arches of purple stone over a floor of sand, a path floating in the middle of his kind’s natural dimension. Between the rocks, pieces of different times stood frozen, eternal and unalterable.

The path enlarged at its end, leading to a vast cavern with an enormous sand clock in the middle of it. The roof was open, showing the surrounding space in all its glory. His brothers and sisters walked around, busy with their own tasks. A female reached to him.

“Son! I was about to go call you, glad I found you fast” she smiled. “Yes, I’m where I can always be found, mother.” “See you later, then, and good luck with your father”. Her mother disappeared in a flash of sand. Time was something... complicated to those not versed on its arts. An ignorant mortal would have been confused at the sight of meeting someone, and then meeting him again, leaving to speak with him in the past. For Anachronos, this was just each day’s routine. As his friend Chronormu usually said, “We don’t go insane because we don’t even have the time to”.

Another appearance of his mother, talking with Andormu and Nozari, called his attention, and pointed upwards, winking at him. Anachronos leapt upwards, and followed the direction of his mother’s finger.

The Caverns of Time were secure, but wandering the dimension surrounding it could be dangerous for even a bronze dragon. “The flux is beautiful, don’t you think, Anachronos?” Two dragons were sitting in a nearby cliff, watching the currents of time at the horizon, distant and close at the same time. “I think the Ancient is searching his father, Zidormi” replied her partner. “Yes, he’s always so hard to locate, Zaladormu” laughed him back. “Any piece of advice?” asked them. “Try looking... around there” pointed the female. “I sense a wise powerful presence there”. “Thanks, both of you” bowed Anachronos, before flying away once again.

It was true. Lately, his father, Nozdormu, Dragon Aspect and leader of the Bronze dragonflight, had been more elusive and absent than usual. It wasn’t something good, he suspected, and he wondered if his call had something to do with it.

He landed atop a considerably big floating rock, raising sand around him. He sensed part of that presence, too, but he wasn’t sure about it. Looking around, his gaze ran into a flash of grey, disappearing beyond the corner of his eyes. Before he could check it better, a dragon appeared before him.

“So, you’re finally here. Ancient, but young, as always” smiled his father. “The Ancient” was Anachronos title, and his father, used to call him youngling, usually joked about it. “I came as fast as possible, my lord” bowed Anachronos. “Oh, boy, leave the courtesies here, now that we’re alone, father and son. Know why I sent your mother after you?” “No idea... which is curious, I guess” answered him. “Exactly. As you know, you’re bound to replace me some day. Don’t look at me like that, there’s still plenty of time for me, but dark times are about to come, and I want to make sure you are able to help your mother lead the dragonflight and protect our home successfully if I’m not there, if I’m busy elsewhere, when that happens, if it happens, of course”.

Anachronos was caught off guard, and needed some seconds to fully understand the message. “Okay, what should I do, then?” he asked. “I have a small... adventure for you. Something’s wrong on the timeline, I’m sure you have noticed in your short journey here. “Yes, the flux looks... more wild than usual”. “I want you to travel back and forth, and find everything you can about this incident. There could be someone pulling the strings, so you should be careful.” He said. “Who will come with me?”

“No one will, no dragon, at least.” Nozdormu replied. He made a movement with his claw and summoned a strange artifact. “Malygos helped me empower this. It should let you travel safely across the timelines, attaching you to this reality, your timeline, so you don’t get trapped in another reality, shall the incident grow worse and your own past self affected by it, affecting you in consequence.” His father gave him a golden medallion, with a blue gem in its middle. “Alexstrasza and Ysera gave her blessings, too, so this medallion will lend you their powers if you need them, but don’t spend its powers unless it’s necessary. Don’t worry about using it to travel, it has plenty of energy and magic inside, and you won’t be able to spend them all even if you insist. Malygos was generous, and of course, I left all I could, too.”

“Okay. Journey. Medallion. Fix whatever is making the flux be so nervous. Seems like an easy task. I guess you want to prove me, and that’s why I’m to go alone”. “Not really, the medallion works for only one of us, and it’s specially made for you, to make it work at full potency. However, I understand your concern. You would better find a mortal companion to cover your back.”

“A mortal? No way! They would probably step into their own ameba ancestor and affect their entire species with chronic baldness, if they don’t remove themselves from existence before, that is. I can bear working with them on a static timeline, but traveling with them? I’m not sure if it’s ever been done before. At least, not with those without deemed abilities, tested thoroughly, and I don’t think I’ll be able to find and test the worth of anyone in under less than years!”

“Trust me, you’ll be fine. I already have a starting point for your journey, and I’m sure you’ll find an old friend there, more than able to help you in your quest.” He tried to interrupt him, but he continued speaking. “Now, if you don’t mind, I’ll show you how to use this beauty. Just hold it in your hands, and close your eyes. Let your instinct detect the errors in the timeline, and focus on your destination.” Anachronos did as he said, upset at his father’s previous request.

Suddenly, a golden rift appeared in front of him. “This rift is a secure portal to your destination. As I told you before, you must not use your natural abilities to travel across time, only the medallion, or your security could be compromised.” The rift looked so pure and calm. “I understand”. “You’re ready to leave?” “Yes, but before that, about the companion, I-“ a gust of sand hit Anachronos and pushed him against the rift.

Anachronos start to fell through the rift, and he heard the cheerful voice of his father in the distance. “Get a companion, or you won’t accomplish this quest! Ah, also, the rifts are temporal, so you’d better enter them quick, and make sure no one manipulates them! Try not eating too much before using them, too, or it could be, well, nasty! Or well, maybe it’s a good idea to eat something after all, the travel across the rift could take some days! Whatever! Gooood journeeeeey! Take care!”

Anachronos hated being interrupted, but he knew his father would have been right after all, no matter what he could have answered, so he resigned himself and shaped to a human form while he fell through the rift. He would make sure not to disappoint him, hoping he would still be there to see him return.

Continue reading here: (Coming soon)

Don't hesitate to give feedback, even if it's negative .

I like your style... the description.. good stuff.

But generally, writing a story about/centered/in which you control a lore figure as strong as Anachronos is not a good move.

Why not create your own bronze dragon character? :P

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I like your style... the description.. good stuff.

But generally, writing a story about/centered/in which you control a lore figure as strong as Anachronos is not a good move.

Why not create your own bronze dragon character? :P
    I'm not native so there may be wrong expressions around, meaning it's a bit hard for me to write a story. Glad you like it .

I chose Anachronos because he's the heir of Nozdormu. I use time travel a lot, so I don't think it would be problematic. Of all characters out there, bronze dragons are the most dynamic, so I don't worry about whatever happens with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
    I'm not native so there may be wrong expressions around, meaning it's a bit hard for me to write a story. Glad you like it .

I chose Anachronos because he's the heir of Nozdormu. I use time travel a lot, so I don't think it would be problematic. Of all characters out there, bronze dragons are the most dynamic, so I don't worry about whatever happens with them.
    I meant, using lore figures in your RP/stories is generally frowned upon, because their stories are already written, their personalities and deeds set.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    I meant, using lore figures in your RP/stories is generally frowned upon, because their stories are already written, their personalities and deeds set.
    I'll be sure nothing is contradicted, you can trust me there, I'm pretty good with lore .