Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

A possible theory of the reasoning behind MoP

Yesterday, one of the writers on wowinsider posted a very interesting theory about the Old Gods, and explains the idea behind MoP.
    I suggest reading it: http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/11/06/kn...is-of-azeroth/

I know some people get sick of the whole "The Old Gods did it", but reading trough that article, alot of things make sense. Especially the whole thing with Mists of Pandaria and the "Sha". If this appears to be anywhere near the truth, this will be a horrifying revelation, a completly unexpecting turn of events...

What do you guys think?

(PS: Please do read the article before commenting)

I liked it, but then I liked all the Tin-Foil Hat editions of KYL.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

It was an interesting read. And I would love if this is what blizzard is going with the lore.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is... pretty groundbreaking for me.

If every similarity that's been shown in that article, were to be true... Then it changes the whole meaning of this game, the whole purpose and goal that we're after. It is quite hard to comprehend right now, especially with those lacking 'pages' in this idea, but still, it does fit. A pretty valid argument that can be based upon theorycrafting.

I've always admired lore of Warcraft, and I was damn sure that there's a deeper meaning to all of this, but I never took time to think about it properly.

In my opinion it fits. Pandaren actually seem as the only race who can set us in the right course of thinking. They do have the power and wisdom to do that.

DAMN next expansion I'm going to read every single quest text!

Also, that was a very good read, kudos to you sir for sharing!

This is awesome

It's almost entirely baseless speculation... not very interesting. I think they are seriously overinterpreting the thought put behind the various elements in the game.

I was already excited for MoP. But now I am even more excited to see where they are going with all of this.

Thanks for posting that.

I liked it, but im a huge H.P.L. fan and have had similar theories for a while now (ever since ulduar)

I really hope these theories are at least close to whats going on...

however i have already fully excepted that i'm probably going to be horribly, horribly, disappointed.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

pretty interesting.
    i've always liked the old gods because of the depth of character they can lend to plot and other characters. this is basically a twist on "azeroth is an old god" theory, one that honestly always made a fair bit of sense, with the stipulation that azeroth isn't JUST an old god, but in a very real way THE old god.

now another thing has to be addressed for this theory however. Draenor.

Orcs on Draenor have been seen summoning a figure very very similar to an old god and appear to have stories of entities extremely close to old gods.

does this mean that the planetary-scale old gods are a race that span the universe similar to the demons, only far far far more insidious. or perhaps Azeroth really is the true Old God. maybe the other old gods can break free of the planet and enter into space itself. it would explain the curiosity of the numbers, some have simply left azeroth and set off on their own. it also gives us a good reason for the dark portal.
    after all why should two planets be linked through a portal, why should it even be possible? the two planets are inextricably linked but no definitive reason is given. maybe there is no reason, maybe it was all coincidence, or maybe one of the seven eyes of azeroth left and made its home on draenor and began settling in, leaving a connection open that others could manipulate without quite knowing exactly what they were setting off. after all the old gods were fairly quiet and settled in their prisons until about the same time that the portal was opened up and started things going in the Warcraft timeline that we are familiar with.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It feels like most people who theorycraft on why we're on Pandaria come to the same conclusion, Old Gods.

We've already been shown wowhead and KYL in this thread, but also:

Jesse and Pride said we were looking for an item that would let us kill them.
    A random forum poster, who I think may be onto something, connected the Sha to being minions of an Old God.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    does this mean that the planetary-scale old gods are a race that span the universe similar to the demons, only far far far more insidious. or perhaps Azeroth really is the true Old God. maybe the other old gods can break free of the planet and enter into space itself. it would explain the curiosity of the numbers, some have simply left azeroth and set off on their own. it also gives us a good reason for the dark portal.
    after all why should two planets be linked through a portal, why should it even be possible? the two planets are inextricably linked but no definitive reason is given. maybe there is no reason, maybe it was all coincidence, or maybe one of the seven eyes of azeroth left and made its home on draenor and began settling in, leaving a connection open that others could manipulate without quite knowing exactly what they were setting off. after all the old gods were fairly quiet and settled in their prisons until about the same time that the portal was opened up and started things going in the Warcraft timeline that we are familiar with.
    There is no reason given because the portal isn't unique. In fact, creating more portals to other worlds is what caused Draenor to turn into the broken remains of a planet it is now.

Old gods are into everything, So something or someone has to be located or been active in EPL or near the Zul'Aman empire and the other place is close to the Zul'Gurub empire? I smell a troll expansion after MoP unless something else is unveiled in MoP.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

10+ Year Old Account
    Does Darkside write for Joystiq now? Haha - loved his theories on this stuff, and this article seems like something straight out of his book.
    Undefined animosity is a device of the spineless, the means of a fool.

I just made a post about this article in the General Discussion forum, oops!

OT: I think the evidence is very compelling, specifically the part regarding why the Titans put the fail safes and re-origination devices into place. Up until now, everyone kind of scratched their heads when the question on why the Titans didn't just re-originate the planet in the first place was asked. Their decision would certainly make more sense if the source of all chaos in the Warcraft universe was imprisoned inside the planet.

That being said, they had another Tinfoil Hat article a while back that theorized the reason they didn't re-originate the planet was because it (and thereby the people on it) were created to be a weapon against Sargeras and the Burning Legion: http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/02/06/kn...of-the-titans/

I think I prefer that theory, something about my character being part of an unassuming group of races that were actually created for the sole purpose of killing the leader of the Burning Legion is awesome to me.

Also: In the newest article, she says that N'Zoth is only confirmed to be the creator of the Emerald Dream, and that it is likely located somewhere around Teldrassil. I'm not sure I agree with that. She says that N'Zoth "corrupted Teldrassil", but that isn't the case, is it? I thought that Staghelm, along with Xavius, corrupted the tree. Not to mention: Malfurion says the Nightmare was heaviest in the Rift of Aln, but was actually originating somewhere in Azeroth's oceans around the Maelstrom. If N'Zoth is the source of the Nightmare, then it would stand to reason that N'Zoth is near the Maelstrom (not near Teldrassil, like Anne suggests).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-11-07 at 03:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The theory he writes, based on lovecrafts example and how blizzard seem to make a point of old god references (which they overdo far to much for there own good) is that azeroth is infact the corpse or dorment body of mass of potent evil that the titans put out of whack, brought order to it, made it into a reshaped and pleanent entity, and locked the old gods away, which the theory is the old gods are infact the children of azeroth itself.

This is an intresting theory, but honestly, I hope to god this isn't blizzard overall intention. Its just to much old god stuff and it saturates the lore far to much beyond what it use to be.

Awesome stuff. I can't wait to see how the story progresses in MoP, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Old gods are into everything, So something or someone has to be located or been active in EPL or near the Zul'Aman empire and the other place is close to the Zul'Gurub empire? I smell a troll expansion after MoP unless something else is unveiled in MoP.
    Blizzard stated that the Troll story will be wrapped up in Mists.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    There is no reason given because the portal isn't unique. In fact, creating more portals to other worlds is what caused Draenor to turn into the broken remains of a planet it is now.
    good point and it's something to think about, but that just tends to imply that the old gods are a universal and nearly omnipresent race rather than Azeroth being the core of it all. at least if their is a connection between the OG on Draenor, the OG on Azeroth and the ability to transit between the two.

i think it's highly possible that the Old Gods are potentially the ultimate source of chaos in the Azerothian universe in the same way the Titans are the ultimate source of order. they are probably everywhere, sitting in planets and plotting and causing havok. i would not be shocked if they created the demon races and then just sort of let them loose in the universe without any guidance, just to see what would happen. what happened is that a Titan molded them into a singular power, the Burning Legion.

---------- Post added 2011-11-07 at 03:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Blizzard stated that the Troll story will be wrapped up in Mists.
    source? i haven't heard that yet. i do not doubt the veracity of your statement, just want to see what it is that Blizzard is saying
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Deleted
    I don't necessarily agree with all of that - but I do agree with most of that Not quite taken by the 'planet is evil' bit, but I've already sold myself the idea that the Sha are simply weaker Old Gods, that share a common genesis.

So looking forward to finding out for real

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post
    source? i haven't heard that yet. i do not doubt the veracity of your statement, just want to see what it is that Blizzard is saying
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Question: Will we ever really see a return of the troll empire?

Answer: If the troll tribes could ever unite, look out world! Why are the Zandalari about creating a new [troll] empire? That's what you're going to find out in MoP.
    -- http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/10/22/bl...anda-liveblog/

I suppose that doesn't necessarily say "The concept is wrapping up", but it will be addressed. I could have sworn they said somewhere that we'd get a resolution to the story...
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-11-07 at 03:33 PM.